PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, What Does the National Media Know?

FGarcia34
01-31-2005, 07:17 PM
First off, nobody in the World gave us a chance in 2000. We came out of nowhere and had a fantastic season. I dont really care what any of the national media say simply because they do not follow our team as closely as us, the TRUE WHITE SOX fans do. The last few seasons, I have seen the White Sox favored quite a few times. Especially the last 2 seasons. It was ridiculous how we lost the division in 2003 and we lost the division this past season due to injuries. This brings me the my question of what does the National Media Know?

Yes, we lost Carlos Lee. And he was a very valuable member of our club. What the National Media forgets to do is to see all the positions we have upgraded at this past season...

During the last month of the season, we knew Maggs would not be returning and we saw a very porous everyday lineup and a decent pitching staff to go along with an awful bullpen. We also did not have very good depth on our bench and we had underachieving prospects.

Looke at how our lineup has changed:

C - 2004 - Olivo/Burke/Davis
2005 - Pierzynski
***Upgrade***

1B - 2004 - Paul Konerko
2005 - Paul Konerko
***No Change***

2B - 2004 - Harris/Uribe/Alomar Jr.
2005 - Iguchi/Harris
***Upgrade***

3B - 2004 - Joe Crede
2005 - Joe Crede
***No Change***

SS - 2004 - Jose Valentin/Juan Uribe
2005 - Juan Uribe
***No Change***

LF - 2004 - Carlos Lee
2005 - Aaron Rowand (The Media doesn't recognize Rowand as a quality player yet.)
***Upgrade***

CF - 2004 - Aaron Rowand
2005 - Scott Podsednik
***No Change/Downgrade***

RF - 2004 - Ordonez/Perez/Borchard
2005 - Jermaine Dye (Could easily put up huge #'s at the Cell)
***No Change***
***Upgrade***

Pitching -
Buerhle #1 - NO CHANGE
Garcia #2 - NO CHANGE
El Duque #3 - Upgrade from Contreras/Garland
Contreras #4 - NO CHANGE
Garland #5 - Upgrade from all #5 starters last season

Bullpen - UPGRADE
Additions: Vizcaino & Hermanson

We are talking about a team that could do some major damage. Each player in this lineup has potential for something amazing...these are my predictions...

Podsednik .270 avg. 15 HR 50 RBI 60 Stolen Bases
Rowand .305 avg. 20 HR 70 RBI 25 Stolen Bases
Dye .285 avg. 25 HR 85 RBI
Konerko .285 avg. 35 HR 110 RBI
Everett .255 avg. 12 HR 60 RBI
Thomas .265 avg. 25 HR 80 RBI
Crede .240 avg. 20 HR 60 RBI
Uribe .270 avg. 20 HR 50 RBI
Iguchi .260 avg. 15 HR 45 RBI 35 Stolen Bases

Jabroni
01-31-2005, 07:21 PM
2005 - Juan Uribe
***No Change***A full season of Uribe at SS could be an upgrade both offensively and defensively.

South Side
01-31-2005, 07:25 PM
LF - 2004 - Carlos Lee
2005 - Aaron Rowand (The Media doesn't recognize Rowand as a quality player yet.)
***Upgrade***

CF - 2004 - Aaron Rowand
2005 - Scott Podsednik

[/QUOTE]

FYI, Rowand is playing CF and Pods is playing LF.

zach074
01-31-2005, 07:50 PM
No media ever pays attention to us, it goes well with the "under the radar" theme.

Chisox003
01-31-2005, 07:53 PM

You forgot about our Catcher, so I'll do it for you...

Pierzynski .308 avg. 15 HR 67 RBI 1 Stolen Base...Yup he'll get one

PAPChiSox729
01-31-2005, 07:58 PM
I could care less what the national media has to say about us. I mean, the Twins weren't the overwhelming favorites the last 3 years, but they still made it. Most of these experts know nothing. I would rather surprise everyone with a playoff berth rather then disappoint everyone by being the favorites and not making the playoffs.

P.S. Did I use the teal right? I'm new here.

voodoochile
01-31-2005, 08:09 PM
You forgot about our Catcher, so I'll do it for you...

Pierzynski .308 avg. 15 HR 67 RBI 1 Stolen Base...Yup he'll get one

Only if they send him on a hit and run and the pitcher misses the pitchout sign and bounces one off the back stop. Then he might be safe, but just barely...:wink:

Palehose13
01-31-2005, 08:17 PM
I could care less what the national media has to say about us. I mean, the Twins weren't the overwhelming favorites the last 3 years, but they still made it. Most of these experts know nothing. I would rather surprise everyone with a playoff berth rather then disappoint everyone by being the favorites and not making the playoffs.

P.S. Did I use the teal right? I'm new here.

Looks like appropriate teal usage to me.

oh, and :welcome:

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Here's a way to really see the improvement in our pitching staff.

Start of the season 2004 vs 2005
Mark Buehrle vs Mark Buehrle = same
Esteban Loaiza vs Freddy Garcia = based on 2003 and going into 2004, this would've been equal, but we all know Loaiza didn't return to his 2003 numbers. Garcia is a huge upgrade
Jon Garland vs Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez = upgrade w/ El Duque
Scott Schoeneweis vs Jose Contreras = Jose Contreras definitely has a lot more upside than Scott ever did in a starting role. Upgrade.
Danny Wright vs Jon Garland = Garland by a ton!

OurBitchinMinny
01-31-2005, 08:58 PM
First off, nobody in the World gave us a chance in 2000. We came out of nowhere and had a fantastic season. I dont really care what any of the national media say simply because they do not follow our team as closely as us, the TRUE WHITE SOX fans do. The last few seasons, I have seen the White Sox favored quite a few times. Especially the last 2 seasons. It was ridiculous how we lost the division in 2003 and we lost the division this past season due to injuries. This brings me the my question of what does the National Media Know?

Yes, we lost Carlos Lee. And he was a very valuable member of our club. What the National Media forgets to do is to see all the positions we have upgraded at this past season...

During the last month of the season, we knew Maggs would not be returning and we saw a very porous everyday lineup and a decent pitching staff to go along with an awful bullpen. We also did not have very good depth on our bench and we had underachieving prospects.

Looke at how our lineup has changed:

C - 2004 - Olivo/Burke/Davis
2005 - Pierzynski
***Upgrade***

1B - 2004 - Paul Konerko
2005 - Paul Konerko
***No Change***

2B - 2004 - Harris/Uribe/Alomar Jr.
2005 - Iguchi/Harris
***Upgrade***

3B - 2004 - Joe Crede
2005 - Joe Crede
***No Change***

2005 - Juan Uribe
***No Change***

LF - 2004 - Carlos Lee
***Upgrade***

CF - 2004 - Aaron Rowand
2005 - Scott Podsednik

RF - 2004 - Ordonez/Perez/Borchard
2005 - Jermaine Dye (Could easily put up huge #'s at the Cell)
***No Change***
***Upgrade***

Pitching -
Buerhle #1 - NO CHANGE
Garcia #2 - NO CHANGE
El Duque #3 - Upgrade from Contreras/Garland
Contreras #4 - NO CHANGE
Garland #5 - Upgrade from all #5 starters last season

Bullpen - UPGRADE
Additions: Vizcaino & Hermanson

We are talking about a team that could do some major damage. Each player in this lineup has potential for something amazing...these are my predictions...

Look I know you are excited about the season, but be realistic. Rowand is not an upgrade over lee in LF except for arm strength and posednik is not an upgrade over rowand in CF. Id leave rowand in CF and put pods in left. And are you serious that dye is an uprgrade over maggs, a healthy maggs i mean. The fact is this team has done nothing but underachieve starting in the 2000 playoffs. They have a chance to win the division, but lets see how it plays out. They have to earn respect. No one has seen this team play a game together. And they have had the most talent in the divison for 5 years now and have come up short 4 of those.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Look I know you are excited about the season, but be realistic. Rowand is not an upgrade over lee in LF except for arm strength and posednik is not an upgrade over rowand in CF. Id leave rowand in CF and put pods in left. And are you serious that dye is an uprgrade over maggs, a healthy maggs i mean. The fact is this team has done nothing but underachieve starting in the 2000 playoffs. They have a chance to win the division, but lets see how it plays out. They have to earn respect. No one has seen this team play a game together. And they have had the most talent in the divison for 5 years now and have come up short 4 of those.
Most of the guys from 2000-2004 seasons are gone. It's time to forget about how that team underachieved for so many seasons. You're definitely right about the respect part, they have a chance to build THEIR OWN legacy and not live on what the past team did or didn't do correctly.

JUribe1989
01-31-2005, 09:17 PM
A full season of having a fifth starter and Freddy Garcia is the major upgrade. We were still winning in the first half with no Freddy and no fifth starter. Think of the possibilities now.

dugwood31
01-31-2005, 09:50 PM
We've lost 70 or so homers between Carlos and a healthy Maggs. Not to mention Jose's 25. Has our OBP and team speed improved enough to compensate?

Frank's likely not back until May or June. Our middle of the order until then is Konerko, Dye and Everett...one of the least impressive 3-4-5's in the league. Both Dye and Everett are injury prone. Peirzynski's an offensive upgrade. Iguchi's a wild card. Podsednik will be better than last year, but not as good as two years ago. We should expect a little less from Rowand than we got last year as the league catches up to him. I'm happy with Uribe and optimistic about Crede.

Buehrle and Freddy at the top make me feel good. El Duque? Nobody knows. Contreras' ERA will be about 5.00, but he'll throw a lot of innings and dazzle once in a while. Garland should improve.

Our bullpen is better, but I think it's crazy to assume Shingo will do as well next year as he did last year. I like Vizcaino. Not sold on Hermanson.

I have to say I agree with the national media...we're a .500ish team.:(:

popilius
01-31-2005, 10:30 PM
A full season of Uribe at SS could be an upgrade both offensively and defensively.

Roger that. . . Uribe in 2005 will definitely be an upgrade from 2004 Valentin. . .

:gulp:

pearso66
01-31-2005, 10:58 PM
We've lost 70 or so homers between Carlos and a healthy Maggs. Not to mention Jose's 25. Has our OBP and team speed improved enough to compensate?

Frank's likely not back until May or June. Our middle of the order until then is Konerko, Dye and Everett...one of the least impressive 3-4-5's in the league. Both Dye and Everett are injury prone. Peirzynski's an offensive upgrade. Iguchi's a wild card. Podsednik will be better than last year, but not as good as two years ago. We should expect a little less from Rowand than we got last year as the league catches up to him. I'm happy with Uribe and optimistic about Crede.

Buehrle and Freddy at the top make me feel good. El Duque? Nobody knows. Contreras' ERA will be about 5.00, but he'll throw a lot of innings and dazzle once in a while. Garland should improve.

Our bullpen is better, but I think it's crazy to assume Shingo will do as well next year as he did last year. I like Vizcaino. Not sold on Hermanson.

I have to say I agree with the national media...we're a .500ish team.:(:

Well we did hit what, 200 homers w/o Frank and Maggs last year, and with a not full strength Everett. not to mention, where has homers gotten us? I think we are better off this way because we dont have 7 guys in the lineup trying to hit a 3 run bomb with nobody on anymore. I don't know how they will fare, but with the pitching staff, I predict around 88 wins, and if the offense goes how I think it should, 90+. But I'm on the optimist side.

ondafarm
01-31-2005, 10:59 PM

I would be terribly shocked if these were Frank's numbers. He was hitting in the .290s until he was injured. He then had a months slide to get down to .271. Essentially, he hit .225 with only one good leg. As a career over .300 hitter, I'd say no lower than .285.

dugwood31
02-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Well we did hit what, 200 homers w/o Frank and Maggs last year, and with a not full strength Everett. not to mention, where has homers gotten us? I think we are better off this way because we dont have 7 guys in the lineup trying to hit a 3 run bomb with nobody on anymore. I don't know how they will fare, but with the pitching staff, I predict around 88 wins, and if the offense goes how I think it should, 90+. But I'm on the optimist side.

I agree that our old team was too station to station, and I'm hopeful that we can be more consistent this year, albeit with less firepower. Maybe we'll have a chance to win if we're not pounding the ball. Overall, however, we will score fewer runs, and if guys like Dye and Everett get injured, which is pretty likely, it will hurt. Not to mention that El Duque threw about 80 innings last year. It seems that posters on this site are a bit too optimistic, especially for Sox fans.:wink:

Unregistered
02-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I would be terribly shocked if these were Frank's numbers. He was hitting in the .290s until he was injured. He then had a months slide to get down to .271. Essentially, he hit .225 with only one good leg. As a career over .300 hitter, I'd say no lower than .285. Frank's my favorite player of all time, and even I call BS on that. After not seeing a live pitch for a little less than a year, it will come as no shock to me if he hits .250 or so until the end of the season.

Man, I'd love to be SOOOO wrong about that... :smile:

pssondacubs
02-01-2005, 02:33 PM
The only disappointing position that wasn't addressed was 3rd base. Crede has turned into such a disappointment. It's sad when a .240 avg is an improvement, especially from a guy on the hot corner. I just moved to Arizona, about a mile from Tucson and I plan to make a few trips to spring training. The position I'll be watching most is 3rd. I miss Robin V..........

Jerome
02-01-2005, 03:00 PM
I love the optimism, but Rowand isn't an upgrade over Lee and Podsednik isn't an upgrade over Rowand.

Other than that, you are right. We improved this team big time.

soxtalker
02-01-2005, 03:13 PM

It seems that we often focus on gaps in what the national media know about the White Sox. As you say, they don't follow the Sox as closely as we do, so it is almost inevitable that they will miss many things about the Sox. However, we also don't know very much about most other teams; the national media is often our primary source. That's not a minor concern, because this is competition. The result depends a lot on what the other teams do.

PAPChiSox729
02-01-2005, 07:27 PM
The only disappointing position that wasn't addressed was 3rd base. Crede has turned into such a disappointment. It's sad when a .240 avg is an improvement, especially from a guy on the hot corner. I just moved to Arizona, about a mile from Tucson and I plan to make a few trips to spring training. The position I'll be watching most is 3rd. I miss Robin V..........

I really don't think that the White Sox considered finding a replacement for Joe. All of the rumors of Nakamura were just speculation by the local media. I see this season as make-or-break for Joe. They have hyped him too long to just give up on him after two mediocre full seasons.