PDA

View Full Version : Everett dropped 15 pounds...

Jabroni
01-31-2005, 04:39 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team?categoryId=71590Carl Everett has dropped 15 pounds during the offseason in an effort to return to top playing shape. Everett suffered through a myriad of injuries during the 2004 season, which not only hampered his overall production but also his physical conditioning. As a switch hitter with power from both sides and more than a little bit of speed, a healthy Everett will be a huge plus for the White Sox. . . .
EDIT: This article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050129&content_id=936849&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp) says that Everett has lost closer to 20 pounds...I talked recently to White Sox director of conditioning Allen Thomas, who has been supervising Everett's offseason workout plan, which has helped the 33-year-old veteran drop close to 20 pounds. Thomas said that the workouts currently are geared to not only getting Everett into top physical condition, but also having him physically ready to play the outfield.

Nard
01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
That's not bad at all but not really enough, either. I mean he was a ****ing fat-ass near the end of last season.

Frater Perdurabo
01-31-2005, 05:00 PM
He's also playing for a new contract in 2006. In 2002, the Rangers signed him and he wasn't that good because he was injured and slightly overweight. After a good off-season of training, he got into shape before 2003 (his previous contract year) and made the All-Star team before being traded to the Sox. I look for history to repeat itself.

whitesoxwilkes
01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
He looked great at Soxfest. I asked him how much he'd lost and he said somewhere between 12-15, but added that he's been hitting the weights like a fiend.

One interesting thing about Carl: he's not anywhere near as tall as he looks on TV. He's listed at 6'0", but I'd guess he's a lot closer to 5'10".

DaleJRFan
01-31-2005, 05:14 PM
I, for one, do not understand the Everett thrashers on this forum. The guy wants to suceed. It is fairly unreasonable to think Carl wants to sit on the bench eating eclairs next season, pondering his 2006 FA options. He is going to show up at camp in shape and ready to play. If Carl Everett plays as he did in 2003, four million is a steal. In shape with regular playing time, Carl Everett could be the Ace in the hole if Dye goes down or if ARow can't produce like he did last year (hope that's not a jinx)...

And for the record, 15 pounds is a lot of weight to lose. last summer I lost 7 lbs and it was a huge difference for me personally. So I'd wager if "phase 1" was to lose weight, "phase 2" is to bulk up and work on cardio/flexibility/stamina.

Go Carl!

:bandance:

chaz171
01-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Not to seem totally cynical, but, I think a lot of players (like Everett & Magglio who have come forth with their weight loss) will be losing weight in a post BALCO society......

DaleJRFan
01-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Not to seem totally cynical, but, I think a lot of players (like Everett & Magglio who have come forth with their weight loss) will be losing weight in a post BALCO society......

Carl was fat, not roided. Maggs is a different story.

mdep524
01-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Carl Everett has dropped 15 pounds during the offseason in an effort to return to top playing shape. Everett suffered through a myriad of injuries during the 2004 season, which not only hampered his overall production but also his physical conditioning. . . .
Not to be kittle42 here, but when will America learn how to use the word myriad?

PAPChiSox729
01-31-2005, 05:27 PM
I think that Carl could be a valuable bench player. A switch-hitter with some power is not really a burden of a player to have on your roster. I, for one, am glad to see that Carl is on this team, especially with Frank out of the lineup.

Palehose13
01-31-2005, 05:32 PM
He looked great at Soxfest. I asked him how much he'd lost and he said somewhere between 12-15, but added that he's been hitting the weights like a fiend.

One interesting thing about Carl: he's not anywhere near as tall as he looks on TV. He's listed at 6'0", but I'd guess he's a lot closer to 5'10".

I agree 100%. He looked like he was in terrific shape at Sox Fest. And remember muscle tissue is more dense than fat tissue, so even though he "only" *cough cough* lost 15 lbs, he converted a lot of that fat tissue to muscle by working out.

I was also surprised by how short he was. I expected him to be much taller.

Flight #24
01-31-2005, 05:38 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team?categoryId=71590
EDIT: This article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050129&content_id=936849&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp) says that Everett has lost closer to 20 pounds...

A team-supervised program also makes it less likely that enhancers are involved, unless you're of tinfoil-hat wearing, conspiracy theory crowd.

You have to figure that if the team is running the program then he'll be ready to play the style that the team wants to play, no? Great news. Now, as long as Iguchi puts up a good OBP, we have a replacement in the event that Pods flops. Move Tado to leadoff and pop Carl into LF when Frank comes back.

DaleJRFan
01-31-2005, 05:55 PM
I think its pretty insane that Carl is a bench player, not that he is on the bench (for now), but rather that we have so much talent that that's where he fits in. I'm sure the northsiders would love to have 'em now...

Sox are DEEP!

For the record, a WSI regular, HosieryoftheGods struck out Jerry Hairsten Jr. in Highschool. I remember watching a Sox/O's game at his house and he got all mad when JHjr was in the box... "I stuck that guy out in highschool!!!"

:)

voodoochile
01-31-2005, 06:44 PM
I thought the interesting point of that article is that Everett is only 33. I never checked and from the way people talked about him, I figured he was closer to Frank's age.

At 33 he easily has 5 productive years in front of him if he can stay healthy.

I repeat my earlier lineup projection based on health and potential:

Iguchi (2B)
Rowand (CF)
Frank (DH)
Paulie (1B)
Everett (LF)
Dye (RF)
Pierzynski (C)
Uribe (SS)
Crede (3B)

That's a lineup 1-9 that could all be above .800 OPS if they reach their potential.

Come back healthy Frank and let's make some noise...

StepsInSC
01-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Not to be kittle42 here, but when will America learn how to use the word myriad?

Wait a second...so Everett didn't suffer ten thousand different injuries last year?!?

voodoochile
01-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Wait a second...so Everett didn't suffer ten thousand different injuries last year?!?

I think it was more the sentence structure he was griping about.

It's not suffered "a myriad of" injuries.

It's simply suffered myriad injuries.

HomeFish
01-31-2005, 06:59 PM

Post-steroid players lose muscle. That is NOT what Everett has lost.

elrod
01-31-2005, 07:07 PM

Not sure if you're referring to the "ten thousand" that myriad actually means or the use of it as a noun. I once thought that myriad had to be used as an adjective. Thus, "Everett suffered myriad injuries last year." However, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, myriad is used as a noun and accepted as such. It cites an 1875 Ure's dictionary as saying, "Like a myriad of tubes." (Ure's dictionary is an old, widely-used dictionary of arts and sciences). Myriad is a noun, singular, and means a large number, not necessarily ten thousand.

voodoochile
01-31-2005, 07:11 PM
Not sure if you're referring to the "ten thousand" that myriad actually means or the use of it as a noun. I once thought that myriad had to be used as an adjective. Thus, "Everett suffered myriad injuries last year." However, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, myriad is used as a noun and accepted as such. It cites an 1875 Ure's dictionary as saying, "Like a myriad of tubes." (Ure's dictionary is an old, widely-used dictionary of arts and sciences). Myriad is a noun, singular, and means a large number, not necessarily ten thousand.

I stand corrected. I still think it was what he was griping about. Now he stands corrected too...:D:

Realist
01-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Having a myriad of healthy and talented players gives me a plethora of happiness.

Ouch. You're on my plethora.

voodoochile
01-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Having a myriad of healthy and talented players gives me a plethora of happiness.

Ouch. You're on my plethora.

A slew of plethoras...

batmanZoSo
01-31-2005, 08:10 PM

Hm, I would've guessed 6'2", though I wasn't aware of his listing. At any rate, this is great news. I contend that a slim and healthy Carl Everett is a damn fine player for the price.

OurBitchinMinny
01-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Carl was fat, not roided. Maggs is a different story.

maggs was not on steroids. My God he goes from being the best player on this team to being lumped in a group with sosa.

jenmcm76
01-31-2005, 09:14 PM
And for the record, 15 pounds is a lot of weight to lose. last summer I lost 7 lbs and it was a huge difference for me personally. So I'd wager if "phase 1" was to lose weight, "phase 2" is to bulk up and work on cardio/flexibility/stamina.

Phase 1: Steal underpants
Phase 2: *shrug*
Phase 3: PROFIT!

PAPChiSox729
01-31-2005, 09:26 PM
maggs was not on steroids. My God he goes from being the best player on this team to being lumped in a group with sosa.

I agree. Maggs was the best player on this team before he was injured. So what if he gets greedy? So are most of the other players in this league. You may not respect him as a player, or even a person. But to put him in a class with Sosa, now that is just low!!

Flight #24
01-31-2005, 11:02 PM
A slew of plethoras...

"I would just like to know, if YOU know what a plethora is! I would not like to think that a person told someone he has a plethora, and find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora! "

:tongue:

C'mon, someone help me out here....

WhiteSoxNation
01-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Maybe we'll see the 99-00 carl everett ?? 25-25?

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2005, 11:19 PM
"I would just like to know, if YOU know what a plethora is! I would not like to think that a person told someone he has a plethora, and find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora! "

C'mon, someone help me out here....:hawkYour WHAT hurts?

markopat
01-31-2005, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=Flight #24]"I would just like to know, if YOU know what a plethora is! I would not like to think that a person told someone he has a plethora, and find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora! "

A Cornucopia of Plethoras!

:)

SOX ADDICT '73
01-31-2005, 11:44 PM
If we didn't have Carl Everett on this team, how many of us would be freaking out that Thomas may not return until June? Ross Gload is a nice enough guy, but at DH doesn't strike fear in the hearts of ANYONE. I like Crazy Carl for a number of reasons. First of all (moreso in '03 than in fat, injury-plagued '04, but still), every time he stepped into the batters box, I felt like something good could happen. Especially on two strikes when he opens up his stance a bit (why doesn't he just hit with an open stance all the time?). Secondly, he seems to have learned his lesson after leaving post-'03 for the Expos. IIRC, he exercised his player option to STAY with the Sox this time. AND he seems to have really committed himself to getting into shape this offseason. Honestly, knowing we'd be without Maggs, I wasn't worried about the state of our OF even before the Dye signing. I agree with another post that said "a healthy Carl Everett could be the x-factor for the Sox this season."

34 Inch Stick
02-01-2005, 10:18 AM

C'mon, someone help me out here....

Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas.

Good Signs For 04: Garland is no lower than #4 and Everett/Dye are in competition for playing time in RF.

Flight #24
02-01-2005, 10:18 AM

Good Signs For 04: Garland is no lower than #4 and Everett/Dye are in competition for playing time in RF.

Thank you oh more than famous El Guapo!!!

Palehose13
02-01-2005, 10:21 AM

:?:

Dude, turn the clock forward. :wink:

Iwritecode
02-01-2005, 10:45 AM

Si' El Guapo!

Do you know what the word plethora means?

No el Guapo.

Then how can you say I have a plethora of pinatas if you don't know what the word plethora means?

slavko
02-01-2005, 12:20 PM
A plethora is a lot. Not ALOT, because ALOT is not a word. Stop using it, you evil posters. (Now I feel high and low at the same time.)

Palehose13
02-01-2005, 12:21 PM
A plethora is a lot. Not ALOT, because ALOT is not a word. Stop using it, you evil posters. (Now I feel high and low at the same time.)

Thank you. I've been stopping myself from posting the same message.

mdep524
02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
I stand corrected. I still think it was what he was griping about. Now he stands corrected too...:D:

Yes, I was referring to the unneccesary "of" after "myriad." I guess it is accepted, but still wrong dang nabit!!!

Also, just to be clear, that "plethora" joke is from The Three Amigos, right?

Iwritecode
02-01-2005, 12:41 PM

Yes, but I don't think I got the quotes quite right...

jake27
02-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Phase 1: Steal underpants
Phase 2: *shrug*
Phase 3: PROFIT!

haha i love that one :rolling:

SluggersAway
02-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Yes, I was referring to the unneccesary "of" after "myriad." I guess it is accepted, but still wrong dang nabit!!!

"Usage Note: Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of men. In the 19th century it began to be used in poetry as an adjective, as in myriad men. Both usages in English are acceptable, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's “Myriad myriads of lives.” This poetic, adjectival use became so well entrenched generally that many people came to consider it as the only correct use. In fact, both uses in English are parallel with those of the original ancient Greek. The Greek word mhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/umacr.gifrias, from which myriad derives, could be used as either a noun or an adjective, but the noun mhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/umacr.gifrias was used in general prose and in mathematics while the adjective mhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/umacr.gifrias was used only in poetry." - American Heritage Dictionary

Flight #24
02-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Yes. Underrated as a source of great movie quotes.

wdelaney72
02-01-2005, 01:48 PM
:hijacked:

Enough!

Let's return to the point of the thread. This is really good news. We have Carl, Pods, Rowand, Dye, and Timo for the outfield. That's a lot of depth for the outfield, including bats from both sides of the plate.

Iwritecode
02-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Yes. Underrated as a source of great movie quotes.

"That's a mail plane"

"A male plane? How can you tell?"

"Well can't you see it's little balls?"

Great movie with hilarious quotes. :D:

Iwritecode
02-01-2005, 01:57 PM

No way. I'd say 6' is about right.

I'm 5'10" and he was taller than me...

balke
02-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Now if he can just hit over .250, and more than 20 dingers we'll be set. I just can't see him ever returning to a 30 hr, .300 guy. That's what I always wish for when I see his name.

Jabroni
02-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Now if he can just hit over .250, and more than 20 dingers we'll be set. I just can't see him ever returning to a 30 hr, .300 guy. That's what I always wish for when I see his name.Everett's career AVG is .277 and his career OBP is .348.

DaleJRFan
02-03-2005, 02:36 PM

Um... I don't recall acusing Maggs of being on Roids.