PDA

View Full Version : The scheduler smiles on the Twinks...

Tragg
01-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Last year, their rivalry series was with the mighty 60-win Diamondbacks.

This year, they get the Brewers twice.

How the hell do they get so lucky in the schedule?

MUsoxfan
01-30-2005, 08:43 PM
IIRC, they have the Brewers twice every year, and I believe the Brewers won at least one series last year.

ma-gaga
01-30-2005, 08:44 PM

uh... They always get the Brewers. It's the whole "natural rivalry" twisted... What is the equal series for the W.Sox?

santo=dorf
01-30-2005, 08:45 PM

Twins were 2-4 against the Brewers last season.

MUsoxfan
01-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Last year they played the Brewers on 2 consecutive weekends in June. The Brewers won both series'.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-30-2005, 08:46 PM
It's the whole "natural rivalry" twisted... What is the equal series for the W.Sox?

Baby Bears. And if we didn't play them I'm afraid a significant portion of Sox fandom would think the season wasn't worth playing, or at least bother following.
:(:

DumpJerry
01-30-2005, 08:48 PM
MLB is trying to create regional rivalries. That is why the Twinks get the Brew Crew twice. We get the Flubs.

SaltyPretzel
01-30-2005, 08:50 PM
MLB is trying to create regional rivalries. That is why the Twinks get the Brew Crew twice. We get the Flubs.

It would have made a lot more sense to keep the Brewers in the American League. :angry:

NSSoxFan
01-30-2005, 08:55 PM
We have a friend in Milwaukee now that will help us out against the Twinks.

:caballo
"I can do it"

rmusacch
01-30-2005, 09:03 PM

I think that they should go back to the way they started interleague. Rotate to a different division every year and don't play the natural rivalries home and away. Play your natural rival every year. Play the Cubs one year at Wrigley and the next year at the Cell. The natural rivalries should be the Cubs-Sox, Yankees-Mets, A's-Giants, Nationals-Orioles, Angels-Dodgers and Cards-Royals. Don't try to create artificial natural rivalries. You could possibly add the Marlins-Devil Rays but that is not necessary.

SoxxoS
01-30-2005, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't like to play the Brewers this year.

MRKARNO
01-30-2005, 09:58 PM
If the Twins get to face Sheets and Davis once each, or even more than once each, then they wont have that much of an advantage.

manuelsucks
01-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Baby Bears. And if we didn't play them I'm afraid a significant portion of Sox fandom would think the season wasn't worth playing, or at least bother following.
:(:

I wouldn't say a significant portion, but yeah there would be some Sox "fans" who wouldn't want to follow them.

popilius
01-30-2005, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't say a significant portion, but yeah there would be some Sox "fans" who wouldn't want to follow them.

I think the Sox and Flubs should play a series once every 3 years. . . in their natural NL division rotations. However, I'd be willing to except one 3-game series per year, alternating home field, like it started out in the late 90s.

Half the games would equal double the excitement. . . :gulp:

tacosalbarojas
01-30-2005, 11:09 PM
And if this isn't bad enough, Cleveland gets the Redlegs twice a year...on the Brew Crew, though - they should never have been allowed to leave the AL in the first place. Going back to the eighties when I was growing up, I thought we were buidling quite a little rivalry with them. Used to love those games up at County Stadium...and oh those brats!

MUsoxfan
01-30-2005, 11:16 PM
I think the Sox and Flubs should play a series once every 3 years. . . in their natural NL division rotations. However, I'd be willing to except one 3-game series per year, alternating home field, like it started out in the late 90s.

I disagree. I love the home/home series every year. There's the same level of excitement

RichFitztightly
01-30-2005, 11:25 PM
I disagree. I love the home/home series every year. There's the same level of excitement

Hmmmm.... Yeah. I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

In all seriousness though, I've worked at Comiskey for the last 3 Cubs/Sox series there and I can assure you that this past year was much much more subdued than in years past. Even as fans, I didn't get as upset as I thought I would after the Sox lost the series with them. I think the rivalry is losing a bit of its luster.

Jjav829
01-30-2005, 11:27 PM

I like it, as well. Let's face it, during the course of a 162 game schedule, there are a lot of down moments. Facing the Tigers or Royals 19 times a season only stirs up so much emotion. I like having a few different series that get those emotions going.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-30-2005, 11:36 PM
GO BREWERS! They're a tougher team compared to Minny.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2005, 11:39 PM
I disagree. I love the home/home series every year. There's the same level of excitementMe, too. So what if they're just for bragging rights? What's wrong with bragging rights? It's not as if playing the D-rays 6 times a year is all that exciting.

StillMissOzzie
01-31-2005, 12:00 AM

I'm with you, MU. As long as they're gonna stick with the interleague play, I say stick with the home-and-home series vs. the natural rivals. Besides, I know I have a much better chance of seeing the Sox vs. sCrUBS at USCF than I do of getting a ticket at Wrigley.

SMO
:gulp:

Cubbiesuck13
01-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Hmmmm.... Yeah. I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

In all seriousness though, I've worked at Comiskey for the last 3 Cubs/Sox series there and I can assure you that this past year was much much more subdued than in years past. Even as fans, I didn't get as upset as I thought I would after the Sox lost the series with them. I think the rivalry is losing a bit of its luster.

That is because for the first time since they started interleage play I was not in attendence for at least one Sox/Flub game. Seriously.

chisox06
01-31-2005, 12:15 AM
And if this isn't bad enough, Cleveland gets the Redlegs twice a year...on the Brew Crew, though - they should never have been allowed to leave the AL in the first place. Going back to the eighties when I was growing up, I thought we were buidling quite a little rivalry with them. Used to love those games up at County Stadium...and oh those brats!

What other teams, if any, actually switched Leagues? I cant recall anything off the top of my head. As far as the Brewers they should have a decent team this year, I think they have improved, while the Flubbies havent, so its all good.

Parrothead
01-31-2005, 06:17 AM

Agreed. If they are going to keep the interleague then I would rather see one series a year. This would allow the team to see all the other clubs in national league division. Every year there is a team or two that we don't see due the interleague play.

SOXSINCE'70
01-31-2005, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't like to play the Brewers this year.

Agreed.Carlos Lee against Jon Garland?? YIKES!!!!:o: :o:

Hangar18
02-04-2005, 06:39 PM
It would have made a lot more sense to keep the Brewers in the American League. :angry:

I still cant get the Image of a Smirking Bud Selig, out of my head,
when he "announced" he was moving his team....errrrr, The Brewers
"agreed" to sell out their history and move to the NL. Unbelievable.
All because the DBacks refused to be placed in the American League,
despite the fact that Expansion called for 2 new AL teams