PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Twinkies: Santana wants FAT cash

Jabroni
01-30-2005, 06:43 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=6441Latest News Jan. 30, 2005 - 3:21 pm et
Johan Santana said the Twins' three-year, $19.5 million contract proposal isn't going to get a deal done.
Asked if $25 million over three years would interest him, Santana replied, ''That you would have to think about.'' The two sides may focus on a one-year deal for now and worry about a multiyear pact later.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press (http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/10768977.htm)

HomeFish
01-30-2005, 06:47 PM
They'll just bring up some kid from the minors and he'll put up a 1.75 ERA with two perfect games.

That's how the Twins work.

Jabroni
01-30-2005, 06:49 PM
They'll just bring up some kid from the minors and he'll put up a 1.75 ERA with two perfect games.

I'm not so sure about that. They have great outfielder prospects in Michael Restovich and Jason Kubel but I'm not so sure they have much in the way of starting pitching. If they did, Terry Mulholland wouldn't still be on the team. :tongue:

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Wow, he would actually consider 3 years, $25 million?!?!? Lets hope the Twins refuse to offer that and then the White Sox can sign him in a few years! :smile: He's a good friend of Freddy Garcia, so maybe the sox can get a discount!

MUsoxfan
01-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Wow, he would actually consider 3 years, $25 million?!?!? Lets hope the Twins refuse to offer that and then the White Sox can sign him in a few years! :smile: He's a good friend of Freddy Garcia, so maybe the sox can get a discount!

I think the White Sox are pretty tapped out right now.

Jabroni
01-30-2005, 06:58 PM
I would love to see the Sox sign him after the 2006 season (when Santana is a free agent). Contreras' contract will be up so we will need another starting pitcher.

MRKARNO
01-30-2005, 07:10 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/images/stories/20030527/george_steinbrenner_32097.jpg

"We're waiting for you Johan. If you just tough it out another two years, an 8 year, 160 million dollar contract can be yours."

santo=dorf
01-30-2005, 07:45 PM
I would love to see the Sox sign him after the 2006 season (when Santana is a free agent). Contreras' contract will be up so we will need another starting pitcher.

Contreras
Garland
Hernandez
Hermanson
Dye
AJ

Could all be free agents after the 2006 season. Mark Mulder will probably be a free agent too (he has a team option for 2006.)

CleeFan101
01-30-2005, 09:06 PM
imagine us in the 2006 season signing both mulder and santana

than come back to reality and imagine us bringing mike jackson back from retirement :whiner:

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2005, 11:46 PM
imagine us in the 2006 season signing both mulder and santana

than come back to reality and imagine us bringing mike jackson back from retirement :whiner:Jeez. We haven't even STARTED spring training on the 2005 season yet!!!:o:

OurBitchinMinny
01-31-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm not so sure about that. They have great outfielder prospects in Michael Restovich and Jason Kubel but I'm not so sure they have much in the way of starting pitching. If they did, Terry Mulholland wouldn't still be on the team. :tongue:

Kubel tore up his knee if fall league and is out for this year and may not be ready for ST next year. He is a solid prospect though

SABRSox
01-31-2005, 12:49 AM

They used this draft to load up on pitching, and their picks have impressed at Rookie and A ball. But those guys are still ways away. They've babied Santana along, and as evidenced by how they re-signed Radke, they'll get Johan to re-up as well. They know what their strength is, just watch...

Mohoney
01-31-2005, 03:22 AM
Contreras
Garland
Hernandez
Hermanson
Dye
AJ

Could all be free agents after the 2006 season. Mark Mulder will probably be a free agent too (he has a team option for 2006.)

Ben Sheets, too.

Santana, Sheets, Garcia, Buehrle, McCarthy. Your 2007 Chicago White Sox.

doublem23
01-31-2005, 06:50 AM
Santana, Sheets, Garcia, Buehrle, McCarthy. Your 2007 Chicago White Sox.

Still no 5th starter! :tongue:

JKryl
01-31-2005, 08:06 AM
I think the White Sox are pretty tapped out right now.

:selljerry

Discount?

rmusacch
01-31-2005, 08:29 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=6441

I can't say that I blame him. The Twins have continued to disrespect him over the years. Keeping him in the minors three years ago, not giving him a chance to start at the beginning of the season two years ago and now, naming Brad Radke as the opening day starter after Santana won the Cy Young.

Flight #24
01-31-2005, 01:15 PM
latest news from Rotoworld has him rejecting a 3-yr / $25mil deal. They also speculate that he could make $15-16mil/yr in FA, so he'd basically be increasing his last 2 years of arb salary by a couple of mil but giving up 8 or so mil in yr3 (which would be his first FA year).

The great news is that even if they do get a deal done, it looks like it's going to require significant $$$ from the Twinks, which will impact them in other areas. They're going to need to continue to develop high-performance guys, and if they miss on 1 or 2, they're going to have big trouble.

Jabroni
01-31-2005, 01:25 PM
latest news from Rotoworld has him rejecting a 3-yr / $25mil deal. They also speculate that he could make $15-16mil/yr in FA, so he'd basically be increasing his last 2 years of arb salary by a couple of mil but giving up 8 or so mil in yr3 (which would be his first FA year).

The great news is that even if they do get a deal done, it looks like it's going to require significant $$$ from the Twinks, which will impact them in other areas. They're going to need to continue to develop high-performance guys, and if they miss on 1 or 2, they're going to have big trouble.
Yep, even more great news...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=6441Latest News Jan. 31, 2005 - 3:39 am et
Johan Santana turned down a three-year, $25 million contract offer from the Twins, the Star Tribune reports.
A $25 million offer wasn't bad considering that Santana is only due about $6 million in his second year of arbitration. Still, he isn't eager to give up a year of free agency. If he can stay healthy the next two years, he'll probably make at least $15 million-$16 million per season as a free agent.
Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/5213348.html)
Even if they do sign Santana, he could strap the Twins financially for 3 years.

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Yep, even more great news...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=6441
Even if they do sign Santana, he could strap the Twins financially for 3 years.Maybe Santana should check with Ordonez about rolling the dice on FA.

chaz171
01-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Santana isn't going anywhere....

and for those who envision him in our Southide pinstripes,,,,,,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/370000/images/_371604_crack_smoking150.jpg

Put down the Pipe and slowly back away from the computer.......

SOXSINCE'70
01-31-2005, 01:52 PM

Sadly,you are correct.:(: :(:

SOXSINCE'70
01-31-2005, 01:57 PM
And we all know what happens sometimes when a pitcher
wins a Cy Young award;he tends to work far too hard to
post better stats than he had the previous year.By doing
so,the losses mount and the ERA climbs.We'll see if Santana,
much like Ra-jah Clemens,can put up decent numbers
following a Cy Young award.

wilburaga
01-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Maybe Santana should check with Ordonez about rolling the dice on FA.

I think Santana does not want to repeat Maggs' mistake. Maggs gave up a year of free agency for the back loaded contract. Had Maggs been eligible for free agency at the end of the 2003 season he could have written his own ticket.

Still, I see your point about gambling, not taking the bigger payday now, and hoping to hit the jackpot upon free agency.

W

Jerko
01-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Santana isn't going anywhere....

and for those who envision him in our Southide pinstripes,,,,,,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/370000/images/_371604_crack_smoking150.jpg

Put down the Pipe and slowly back away from the computer.......

Is that Willie Harris?

chaz171
01-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Is that Willie Harris?

I think it's tony phillips.....

Chicago83
01-31-2005, 02:47 PM
I think there is a good chance the Twins will simply trade away Santana next year for prospects and cheap young players. This is what teams like Minnesota must do in order to keep those prospects coming. Much like Oakland has done, it's the only way to win as a small market team, trade away the players before they become expensive FA. I think it something the Sox should do more of, as we are a middle market team. Which means we can sign those big FA, but we can't base out team on that, like the Yanks or Mets. We need a steady supply of cheap prospects coming up to fill in the holes.

Jabroni
01-31-2005, 02:53 PM
I think there is a good chance the Twins will simply trade away Santana next year for prospects and cheap young players. This is what teams like Minnesota must do in order to keep those prospects coming. Much like Oakland has done, it's the only way to win as a small market team, trade away the players before they become expensive FA. I think it something the Sox should do more of, as we are a middle market team. Which means we can sign those big FA, but we can't base out team on that, like the Yanks or Mets. We need a steady supply of cheap prospects coming up to fill in the holes.
Agreed. The Twins' payroll is what, $50 million? They can't afford to pay Santana 20%+ of their payroll, no matter how good he is.

HoustonAstros967
01-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Santana deserves more money than they are offering. They are throwing pennies at the cy-young winner and hoping he'll except. That was one of the biggest criticism that i've heard about the White Sox is that they won't spend money. Now that the Sox have went out and spent money to make a good team i think that the twins are gonna be in for a big surprise next season.

HoustonAstros967
02-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Agreed. The Twins' payroll is what, $50 million? They can't afford to pay Santana 20%+ of their payroll, no matter how good he is.

If the Twins do part ways with Santana think of their rotation?!? It would be awful! The Sox would own the division!

LincolnSquareOz
02-05-2005, 06:21 PM

I could see it happening. I remember in '89 when they dealt Frank Viola the year after he won the Cy Young. They picked up Tapani & Auguliera...two key pieces of their WS team in '91.

No matter what happens, the Twins have him for the next year and a half.

Jabroni
02-08-2005, 03:34 AM
More good news on Santana...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?leaguenum=&sport=MLB&id=6441Latest News Feb. 8, 2005 - 3:55 am et

In discussions about a four-year deal, Johan Santana asked for $48 million and was offered $32 million by the Twins.
$32 million is a joke, but that's the way Terry Ryan has operated with his initial offers this winter. He'll go higher if he thinks he really has a chance of signing Santana to a long-term deal. We're skeptical that Santana will give up any years of free agency. He'll be eligible for the first time after 2006.

Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5228065.html)