PDA

View Full Version : Connection: Harry's Chocolate Shop (Purdue) & Bill Veeck

CPditka
01-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I was at the bar the other night and notice a large poster of Bill and WhiteSox information on the Second floor, it was more than autographed.... It looked like there was a long story written on it. I was drunk and it was dark so I couldnt read it. Does anyone know what it says, I went back today and its so sloppy I cant read it still. And is there a connection between Harry's & Bill/WhiteSox???

GiveMeSox
01-30-2005, 09:07 PM
I was at the bar the other night and notice a large poster of Bill and WhiteSox information on the Second floor, it was more than autographed.... It looked like there was a long story written on it. I was drunk and it was dark so I couldnt read it. Does anyone know what it says, I went back today and its so sloppy I cant read it still. And is there a connection between Harry's & Bill/WhiteSox???

I will definatly be investigating this further at Harrys. Good catch CP, now this might take a lof of time and service from the bartenders to figure out!!

KarkoFan1
01-30-2005, 09:41 PM
I am a Purdue alumni and I spent a great deal of Friday afternoons at that table admiring that poster. I appreciate the Sox love in that bar. There is a picture of a few guys in sox hats at old Comiskey on the first floor by the bathroom. You may want to check that out too. :gulp:

FarWestChicago
01-30-2005, 10:39 PM
now this might take a lof of time and service from the bartenders to figure out!!Not teal!!

:tealpolice:

GiveMeSox
01-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Not teal!!

:tealpolice:

Hey Im gonna tell you what I told my ex girlfriend, "I didn't Know, it was my first time"!!

NardiWasHere
01-31-2005, 12:36 AM
I go to Purdue... I gotta check that out.... Boiler Up baby

GiveMeSox
01-31-2005, 01:33 AM
I go to Purdue... I gotta check that out.... Boiler Up baby

So do me and CP Ditka, we should get together at Harrys this week and have some beverages.

Over By There
01-31-2005, 09:32 AM
Gotta love Harry's. :gulp:

CPditka
01-31-2005, 10:53 AM
lets hit up harrys and solve this mystery!:gulp:

bigfoot
01-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Get Ugly Early!

GiveMeSox
01-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Get Ugly Early!

Its GO UGLY EARLY

faneidde
01-31-2005, 09:31 PM
I'll have to go have a look at this sometime soon, like maybe Wednesday or Thursday. Oh, and Boiler Up.

CPditka
02-01-2005, 01:51 PM
In a pretty unrelated note, after a little research I found that:

Both occuring on March 10th

Purdue University accepted its first student

Dorthy Comiskey sold 54% of the Sox to Bill Veeck.

Ill keep digging.... We must decipher that poster at Harry's, even if we need the Rosetta Stone!

CPditka
02-01-2005, 01:55 PM
here's another intresting factoid:

For Roger Bossard, turf superintendent for the Chicago White Sox, the more than 5,000 tons of sand going onto the playing field in Miller Park are part of his own patented playing field system. An agronomist trained at Purdue University, Bossard has put in five of the last eight major league playing fields built.

"I am third generation in the industry," he said. "My father was field superintendent with the White Sox for forty-two years and my grandfather was with the Cleveland Indians for 46 years. I put in the fields in Detroit, Seattle, Phoenix and Comiskey."

GiveMeSox
02-01-2005, 03:01 PM
here's another intresting factoid:

For Roger Bossard, turf superintendent for the Chicago White Sox, the more than 5,000 tons of sand going onto the playing field in Miller Park are part of his own patented playing field system. An agronomist trained at Purdue University, Bossard has put in five of the last eight major league playing fields built.

"I am third generation in the industry," he said. "My father was field superintendent with the White Sox for forty-two years and my grandfather was with the Cleveland Indians for 46 years. I put in the fields in Detroit, Seattle, Phoenix and Comiskey."

Roger Boassard is probably the best at what he does, and he is real nice guy. He is regarded by many in the media as the guru of the basbeall diamond and we should be lucky to have him. In a rain delay at a game last year in May that lasted 2 hours he came out and chatted with us remaining fans. We talked about how the Cell handles drianage real well by design and what he and his crew do to make it even better. Hes a great guy and very smart.