PDA

View Full Version : Sportsline's AL Central Article

soxfan43
01-30-2005, 12:50 PM
what do you guys think, I got a laugh from ther pick for worst move.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8127614

tlebar318
01-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Are you kidding me! Worst move was bringing Ben Davis Back? He is a future HOF! :D: Personally, I think we should have made a run at "Corky" from the North side! :redneck

WhiteSoxNation
01-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Its amazing how people still dont give us any respect....

VeeckAsInWreck
01-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Sportsline guy on Ben Davis:

"If he was as good behind the plate as he is in front of the mirror, there would be no stopping this guy."

Does this mean that the writer thinks Ben Davis is a good looking guy? :?: Not that there's anything wrong with that. :bandance:

tlebar318
01-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I would not be surprised if maybe Big Ben doesn't end up traded before the season starts...He may be here but he was signed before we acquired A.J.--who knows how it will work out but will JR and KW pay a million bucks a year for a back up catcher? my opinion is no....but what do I know? :smile:

gf2020
01-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Ugh. Yet another shallow article that talks up the Cleveland Indians, a team who had an inoordinate amount of guys with career years and still finished under .500.

Worse, the rankings system was based on the offseason. All I heard last year from talking heads like Gammonds and Scott Miller was that the Indians were one closer away from winning the division.

So, what do they do this offseason?

Resign Bob Wickman.

Give me a break.

tlebar318
01-30-2005, 01:28 PM
In the words of the late Rodney Dangerfield-- "No Respect"!

I wonder what they will say about the Sox in September when we do take the division?

Chisox003
01-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Absolutely no respect...But hey, we're used to it right? Scott Miller is the "expert" here and obviously he knows what is right, and there is no arguing with an "expert"..Give me a break...

Go back to that site and vote in the poll on the left side...Look who the winner is by a pretty large margin....But he's the expert

Its also clear that Scottie boy has a little something for Big Ben...Maybe he knows something about "Big" Bens nickname...? Maybe I'll send him a little feedback
But since we are used to years of this, and honestly haven't done anything yet to prove any of these "experts" wrong, Ill say

:whocares

MRKARNO
01-30-2005, 01:38 PM
I strongly dissagree with this article. The only thing that the Twins did to possibly make themselves better is sign a few mediocre pitchers for their bullpen to minor league contracts. In the process they lost Koskie and Guzman, two decently important pieces of their infield, though their replacements might be as good or better.

The White Sox, on the other hand, while losing Magglio, Lee and Valentin, picked up Dye, Pierzynsk, Iguchi and Podsednik on offense, while also upgrading the pitching staff with El Duque, Hermanson and Vizcaino.

What did the Indians do? They added Millwood, who isnt as good as a healthy El Duque and is of questionable health. They lost Lawton in exchage for Rhodes, who is past his prime, they signed Juan Gone, who stands little chance of being as good as Dye next year, they signed Cora, who probably wont be nearly as good as Iguchi and they bolstered their bench with strikeout king Jose Hernandez. Even this is more than what the Twins did at least, but it's not as good as what the White Sox put together this offseason.

Flight #24
01-30-2005, 01:58 PM
worst move = giving a backup C $1MIL? How can giving a bench player a lo salary be all that bad?

Especially when their "best move" includes signing a guy with an ERA near 5 and WHIP around 1.5 in the NL to join an AL team in a hitters park. Do they think Leo Mazzone came with him or something?

100% crap.

cburns
01-30-2005, 02:13 PM
It doesn't bother me that we don't get respect from sportswriters. The fact is, we haven't earned anyone's respect. The only way we can earn respect is by winning.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-30-2005, 02:20 PM
I made the mistake of checking out the message board on that site. I think I lost 40 IQ points in the ten minutes I spent wading through that drivel. It appears to be populated by 10-13 year old whose ritalin prescriptions have run out (typical post: "sox r gonna suck like you suck and your closer koch sucks enjoy 5th place losers"). There appear to be a handful of knowledgeable Sox fans there fighting the good fight on our behalf, but I resisted the urge to post a link to WSI. I feared inviting a bunch of factless ignoramuses to our forum, where one post from PHG might cause their tiny brains to explode. Thanks you guys, for taking this stuff seriously and providing so much great information!

oeo
01-30-2005, 02:41 PM
It doesn't bother me that we don't get respect from sportswriters. The fact is, we haven't earned anyone's respect. The only way we can earn respect is by winning.

Exactly, and we believe in this team, so who cares what these guys say?

soxtalker
01-30-2005, 02:57 PM
I must be missing something. That article had a few kind words for the Sox -- probably more positive than negative. It just wasn't a very deep analysis of any team.

Quite frankly, I don't understand why we would want the national media to have high expectations of the Sox. There's plenty of optimism around here, and that's great. But it isn't like KW signed a bunch of big-name players, so it is a bit much to expect writers in other cities to annoint us the favorites. More important, I don't see what benefit we get by the rest of the country looking at the Sox as a team that should concern them. Let them think that we're going to be mediocre.

Whitesox029
01-30-2005, 03:04 PM
I just love how neither El Duque and the Sox's 5th starter escapade nor Iguchi nor the new bullpen are mentioned once in the whole article. The guy is pretending we didn't make any improvements in those areas.

JUribe1989
01-30-2005, 03:21 PM
CBS Sportsline has lost all credibility after they fired a lot good writers like Mike Kahn because they were doing lay-offs because of the wrong thought that the internet would make so much money.

spawn
01-30-2005, 03:38 PM
I say who cares what Sportsline thinks. I read that article the other day. I like the idea of flying under the radar. The last few years, it was us and the Twins in everyone's minds. We underachieved. Now props are going to the Twins and Indians. That's ok. We get Cleveland to start the season. The Sox can put this article on the bulletin board and prove the doubters wrong.

OurBitchinMinny
01-30-2005, 03:41 PM

Respect is earned. This team in its past form did not earn that respect by finishing second to a team that it had more talent then 3 years in a row. This current team has not played a game together. They have to earn the respect on the field. Once again the division is there for the taking. Who cares what some damn reporter says. I wouldnt pick against the twins until the white sox show me something on the field.

CPditka
01-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Now shagging fly balls behind the real estate sign: His glory days in Texas well behind him, Juan Gonzalez is stuck in the AL Central and he can't get out. He's bounced from Detroit to Cleveland to Kansas City (with a stop in Texas in between) and, now, back to Cleveland on a minor-league deal. Can he still play? Not too often: He hasn't played in more than 82 games since 2001, and he made it to the gate in only 33 games for Kansas City last year. Juan Gone did hit 41 homers and knock in 94 runs during his one year in Cleveland, but that was back in 2001. The only team in the division he hasn't played for is Minnesota. Juan, we've got some property in Excelsior to show you....

When did JuanGone play for the WhiteSox????

delben91
01-30-2005, 04:04 PM
When did JuanGone play for the WhiteSox????

Wait, you mean the White Sox are in the AL Central?

SOXSINCE'70
01-30-2005, 04:04 PM

As a fan of 35 years (many have suffered far longer),
I can say the Sox will get no respect until they win a
playoff series,let alone a playoff game at home or a WS.:(:

DSpivack
01-30-2005, 04:34 PM
No respect, yet the poll in the article shows that readers think the Sox had the best offseason of anyone in the division.

Soxzilla
01-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Sorry, when you mention worst deal, and then don't mention Troy Percival and 2 year deal worth anywhere over a couple million ... I just stop reading.

CubKilla
01-30-2005, 06:45 PM

The Sox really earned alot of respect consistently finishing in 2nd Place last year and the year before that :rolleyes: ......

Win something worth mentioning first, then talk about lack of respect.

Lip Man 1
01-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Cubkiller:

BINGO Well said!

Lip

popilius
01-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Wait, you mean the White Sox are in the AL Central?

I'm writing a nasty letter. . . and no, that's not in teal. . .

:gulp: