PDA

View Full Version : FLASHBACK: Sun Times Pre-Spring Training Report 1988

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-29-2005, 10:23 PM
I was cleaning up a bookcase over at my Mom's house today and ran across a couple of pages from a February 21st 1988 Sun Times that she saved for a particular article. When I turned the page she was saving over, it had the positives and negatives for the White Sox going into the 1988 season. I thought it would be fun to post some highlights to show how us Sox fans were feeling 17 years ago. There was even a bit of Kenny Williams news. The SOX BEAT was written by Joe Goddard. I will not be copywriting.

Manager: Jim Fregosi
GM: Larry Himes
Pitching Coach: Don Rowe (new Himes hire)
Hitting Coach: Cal Emery (new Himes hire)
Third Base Coach: Ron Clark (new Himes hire)
First Base Coach: Walter Williams (new Himes hire)

Starting pitching seemed to be a huge problem. Dotson was traded to get Dan Pasqua from the Yankees and Bannister had been sent to the Royals. DeLeon was traded for youngster Lance Johnson.
Pre Season picks for opening day pitcher was Dave LaPoint.
The possible number two man was Jack McDowell. The team's key to the future. He had just been brought up at the end of last season.
The rest of the staff is listed as Horton, Perez, Reuss, Joel Davis and Bill Long.

Third Base problems: We had five third baseman the season before. Himes asked center fielder Kenny Williams if he would be willing to try at third. Williams has agreed.

Catcher: Fisk is weighing an off season offer from KC. Fisk is 40 and still in great shape. Team is hoping for him to catch about 120 games. Mark Salas, new acquire from the Yankees is the backup. Ron Karkovice was a burnout hitting just .071 in the majors so far. .183 at Class AAA Hawaii. Lyons went to the Instructional League to learn catching as an emergency.

Bullpen: Bobby Thigpen!! Bob James is gone after not being able to stay in shape. Scott Nielson had a 6.42 ERA the previous season and was sent packing. McKeon and Clark gone. John Davis is new set up man.

Second Base: Hill and Manrique

Bench: Gary Redus and Daryl Boston
Jerry Hairston is now 36. Also, Salas and Lyons

Leadoff: Johnson needs to prove he can hit big league pitching. Hit .333 at Class AAA Louisville previous year.

Harold Baines has had three right knee arthoscopic cleanings in less than a year.

Himes is not making friends. Instituting dress codes and alcohol bans for the players. He also offered incredibly low salaries to young players Thigpen and WILLIAMS

In the White Sox Tid Bit section they mentioned that Ron LeFlore had been working as a baggage handler for Eastern Airlines and has been working on becoming a major league umpire. Also that American League hitters were happy to see Jose DeLeon leave the Sox and go to the Cardinals.

There was also a few other odd ball players listed here and there. If any one has any questions, I will try and see if the answer is listed somewhere in the article.
Hope you find this entertaining. Things didn't look too good that year.

akingamongstmen
01-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Looks like Officer Karko proved 'em wrong.

SpammySosa
01-30-2005, 12:45 AM
Looks like Officer Karko proved 'em wrong.

Yeah that lifetime .221 average really struck fear in the hearts of pitchers.

popilius
01-30-2005, 03:53 AM
Thanks for sharing!

:gulp:

Brian26
01-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Pre Season picks for opening day pitcher was Dave LaPoint.The possible number two man was Jack McDowell. The team's key to the future. He had just been brought up at the end of last season.
The rest of the staff is listed as Horton, Perez, Reuss, Joel Davis and Bill Long.

Geez. And we thought we had 5th starter problems the last few years. That '88 team had 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th starter problems.

LongLiveFisk
01-30-2005, 11:07 AM

:roflmao: :rolling:

batmanZoSo
01-30-2005, 01:23 PM

Good one. But he did make up for that with the gun and it seemed a lot of his home runs came at very fortunate times.