PDA

View Full Version : Fisk

rhill72
01-29-2005, 11:21 AM
I have been a huge Sox and Fisk fan all my life. However I wasnt real impressed with how the Sox dealt with Fisk the last year of his career. When Fisk retired he wanted nothing to do with baseball, but now is wanting to possibly get back into it. What are the chances someday that we will see a White Sox uniform back on Fisk? Possibly a bench coach?

idseer
01-29-2005, 11:22 AM
I have been a huge Sox and Fisk fan all my life. However I wasnt real impressed with how the Sox dealt with Fisk the last year of his career. When Fisk retired he wanted nothing to do with baseball, but now is wanting to possibly get back into it. What are the chances someday that we will see a White Sox uniform back on Fisk? Possibly a bench coach?

as long as jr is around, i'd say pretty small.

Whitesox029
01-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Pudge was a favorite of mine when I was just a little bugger. I share your sentiment, but the guy had his best years here and he didn't even wear a Sox hat in the hall...the chances of him ever wearing one again are slim I'm sorry to say.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2005, 01:14 PM
In published remarks to the Chicago media the week he was inducted Fisk said his choosing the Red Sox hat "was not a relfection in any way on White Sox fans." Fisk went on to say the city treated him and most importantly his family great.

What was let unsaid was that Fisk was not treated well by the White Sox organization and this was his way of getting even.

I don't blame him. By the way in the 76 page story on Jerry Reinsdorf that will be released here in the future at WSI, I have audio cuts from both Fisk and Reinsdorf talking about each other from 1993 that are scalding.

Feel free to read Donn Pall's interview with WSI to find out more information on Fisk's release and what happened in october when he and Pudge tried to wish their former teammates well before game #1 of the 1993 ALCS.

Lip

FightingBillini
01-29-2005, 01:43 PM
The only way I see Fisk coming back is if we see something like this:

http://images.forbes.com/media/magazines/forbes/2003/0428/Jerry_Reinsdorf.jpg
"Thanks for coming. I called this press conference to clear the air on a few things. I treated Carlton Fisk like garbage, and I truly am sorry. While he never did anything to warrant the treatment, I did it because it made me feel better about myself. I have self esteem problems, and I like picking on other people. I was upset because the fans loved Fisk, and they hate me. You see, as a child, I was routinely beaten by larger kids. They stole my lunch money and gave me wedgies every day. I was taking my childhood aggression out on Carlton, and I now realize how immautre it was. Over time, I developed an extreme case of penis envy, due to the miniscule size of my own. I realize now that I am quite possibly the worst owner in the history of professional sports, and a horrible human being. I only hope Mr. Fisk is willing to accept my appology, forget the way I screwed him in the past, and accept the team's offer of $5mil a year to become the bench coach."

Until that press conference, I wont expect to see Fisk in a Sox hat again.:cool:

TornLabrum
01-29-2005, 02:17 PM
The only way I see Fisk coming back is if we see something like this:

http://images.forbes.com/media/magazines/forbes/2003/0428/Jerry_Reinsdorf.jpg
"Thanks for coming. I called this press conference to clear the air on a few things. I treated Carlton Fisk like garbage, and I truly am sorry. While he never did anything to warrant the treatment, I did it because it made me feel better about myself. I have self esteem problems, and I like picking on other people. I was upset because the fans loved Fisk, and they hate me. You see, as a child, I was routinely beaten by larger kids. They stole my lunch money and gave me wedgies every day. I was taking my childhood aggression out on Carlton, and I now realize how immautre it was. Over time, I developed an extreme case of penis envy, due to the miniscule size of my own. I realize now that I am quite possibly the worst owner in the history of professional sports, and a horrible human being. I only hope Mr. Fisk is willing to accept my appology, forget the way I screwed him in the past, and accept the team's offer of $5mil a year to become the bench coach."

Until that press conference, I wont expect to see Fisk in a Sox hat again.:cool:

:reinsy

"And you know the odds of my saying anything like that."

eastchicagosoxfan
01-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I really don't think Fisk is management material. He's a perfectionist and extremely stubborn. He's very opinionated, and I don't know how well he'd function as a second banana. Or look at it this way: Sandy Alomar Jr. is already being touted as a future manager, because he has people skills. Fisk was not viewed that way in his playing days.

slavko
01-30-2005, 01:10 AM
I really don't think Fisk is management material. He's a perfectionist and extremely stubborn. He's very opinionated, and I don't know how well he'd function as a second banana. Or look at it this way: Sandy Alomar Jr. is already being touted as a future manager, because he has people skills. Fisk was not viewed that way in his playing days.

So you take Mr. People Skills One and Mr. People Skills Two, add in a manager and GM who want Mr. Two gone, stir in a few drops of "Can't Play Anymore", and have Mr. One pull the trigger in his most classless manner. It's a script made in hell.

Cubbiesuck13
01-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Fisk is working for the Red Sox front office I believe.

doogiec
01-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Fisk is working for the Red Sox front office I believe.

Interesting this should come up, I've been wondering about this. Perhaps someone on the board who knows Fisk knows the answer to this.

A couple of years ago I was in Boston for a couple of Sox games, and took the tour of Fenway that they offer. While walking past the retired numbers, they commented on the various rules the Red Sox have for retiring a number, and one of the rules is that they end their career with the Red Sox.

I immediately questioned how number 27 made it up there. The Red Sox employee stated that Fisk held a front office position with the Red Sox the year that he was elected to the HOF, and therefore "ended his career" with the Red Sox. I asked the employee if he actually moved to Boston, as I thought he had remained in the Chicago area. She stated that it "was the type of job you don't need to be in Boston to do." You could tell she had been asked that question a thousand times.

Coincidentally, the next year, the HOF stopped letting players select what cap they will wear on their plaques, amid a growing trend to have teams attempt to buy that decision.

Any chance Fisk "sold" the decision on what cap to wear in exchange for a do-little position with the Red Sox? And by allowing his number to be retired by the Red Sox, has he agreed to some sort of lifetime deal that would prohibit him from working for another team? If he were to end his career in Chicago, would his number come down in Boston?

TornLabrum
01-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Interesting this should come up, I've been wondering about this. Perhaps someone on the board who knows Fisk knows the answer to this.

A couple of years ago I was in Boston for a couple of Sox games, and took the tour of Fenway that they offer. While walking past the retired numbers, they commented on the various rules the Red Sox have for retiring a number, and one of the rules is that they end their career with the Red Sox.

I immediately questioned how number 27 made it up there. The Red Sox employee stated that Fisk held a front office position with the Red Sox the year that he was elected to the HOF, and therefore "ended his career" with the Red Sox. I asked the employee if he actually moved to Boston, as I thought he had remained in the Chicago area. She stated that it "was the type of job you don't need to be in Boston to do." You could tell she had been asked that question a thousand times.

Coincidentally, the next year, the HOF stopped letting players select what cap they will wear on their plaques, amid a growing trend to have teams attempt to buy that decision.

Any chance Fisk "sold" the decision on what cap to wear in exchange for a do-little position with the Red Sox? And by allowing his number to be retired by the Red Sox, has he agreed to some sort of lifetime deal that would prohibit him from working for another team? If he were to end his career in Chicago, would his number come down in Boston?

I doubt it. The Red Sox are just making an excuse because it was their front office screwup that caused Fisk to come to Chicago in the first place. As far as I know Fisk still lives in the area. Steff would be able to say for sure if he's in the same place. I don't get out to the Homer Twp. area much.

steff
01-30-2005, 10:19 AM
I doubt it. The Red Sox are just making an excuse because it was their front office screwup that caused Fisk to come to Chicago in the first place. As far as I know Fisk still lives in the area. Steff would be able to say for sure if he's in the same place. I don't get out to the Homer Twp. area much.

Yea.. he's still here. As far as I know (from the last time I talked to him in September) he is not working for the Red Sox (not in baseball at all with no desire to at this time were his exact words) but doing some stuff with a couple personal ventures. Happily playing golf as often as he can and enjoying his family. As for him having a bad attitude (sic), maybe I'm just blinded by his kindness to me all these years but I have never seen him have an attitude. He's crappy with the media sometimes but wouldn't you be after being asked the same question over and over again.. (will you work for the Sox..? Do you hate Jerry..? etc, etc..?). He's always been a real private guy and because his career here ended with controversy he's always asked about it. I'm sure it gets old.

CubKilla
01-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Any chance Fisk "sold" the decision on what cap to wear in exchange for a do-little position with the Red Sox?

No. He chose the Red Sox hat for the HoF because he grew up in NH as a Red Sox fan and because of his unceremoniously dumping by JR and Co.

Money had nothing to do with his decsion.

steff
01-30-2005, 07:40 PM
No. He chose the Red Sox hat for the HoF because he grew up in NH as a Red Sox fan and because of his unceremoniously dumping by JR and Co.

Money had nothing to do with his decsion.

Absolutely. He most definitely did not get paid to wear the Boston cap.

Cubbiesuck13
01-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Yea.. he's still here. As far as I know (from the last time I talked to him in September) he is not working for the Red Sox (not in baseball at all with no desire to at this time were his exact words) but doing some stuff with a couple personal ventures. Happily playing golf as often as he can and enjoying his family. As for him having a bad attitude (sic), maybe I'm just blinded by his kindness to me all these years but I have never seen him have an attitude. He's crappy with the media sometimes but wouldn't you be after being asked the same question over and over again.. (will you work for the Sox..? Do you hate Jerry..? etc, etc..?). He's always been a real private guy and because his career here ended with controversy he's always asked about it. I'm sure it gets old.

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear something other than a rumor about Fisk. And if I ever meet him I will be sure not to ask him if he will work for the White Sox.

tacosalbarojas
01-30-2005, 07:57 PM

That was a good first step in dealing with this issue, but the Hall is going to have to come up with a way to honor all the teams with which a Hall of Famer had impact. There's just too many guys that deserve recognition in multiple uniforms.