PDA

View Full Version : AJ Pierzynski: Most impatient hitter in baseball?

MRKARNO
01-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Here are some interesting facts about AJ Pierzynski's season last year which indicate he was the most impatient hitter in baseball:

Last in baseball with 3.07 P/PA
Second to last in baseball with 41.6% of total pitches taken (and hence 58.4% swung at)
2nd to last in baseball with 14.4% of strikes being called strikes

But....
Only 27 strikeouts on the season
But also....
Only 19 walks

So he's going to put the ball in play a ton, which is good or bad, depending on the situation. I have a feeling that last year's dropoff was due to bad luck because his hitting style lends to such drastic changes in average from year to year. Hopefully US Cellular field will lend to a higher batting average than Pac Bell park.

cbrownson13
01-29-2005, 12:20 AM
As long as he isn't striking out a lot, I don't care how many pitches he sees. He won't be hitting at the top of the order, so it won't be important for him to see a lot of pitches so the boppers can get a good read.

HomeFish
01-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Here are some other stats.

AJ: .272/.319/.410 77 RBI
Ben Davis: .207/.256/.347 18 RBI

I don't care if AJ hits only .265, he's STILL an improvement in the lineup.

MRKARNO
01-29-2005, 12:25 AM
I'm not saying that it's such a bad thing. I think it's great that he doenst K hardly at all, but as a consequence, he hardly ever walks. It's just a style which means that he has to have a high BA to have a pretty good OBP. Just an observation, not necessarily a complaint.

WinningUgly!
01-29-2005, 12:30 AM
The way Pierzynski talks crap, while the other team is hitting, it's no wonder he doesn't want to waste any time getting out of the batters box, when it's his turn to stand in there.
:)

Kroozah
01-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Not to mention the leading the league in 25 double playes last year. ugh

Whitesox029
01-29-2005, 02:54 AM
Here are some interesting facts about AJ Pierzynski's season last year which indicate he was the most impatient hitter in baseball:

Second to last in baseball with 41.6% of total pitches taken (and hence 58.4% swung at)

But....
But also....
Only 19 walks

So he's going to put the ball in play a ton, which is good or bad, depending on the situation. I have a feeling that last year's dropoff was due to bad luck because his hitting style lends to such drastic changes in average from year to year. Hopefully US Cellular field will lend to a higher batting average than Pac Bell park.
Putting the ball in play is second only to getting on base when it comes to priorities of a hitter, especially with no DP situation in effect. If AJ hits the ball a lot I have no problem with it.

santo=dorf
01-29-2005, 03:01 AM

What do you expect when he puts the ball in play? If he wants to cut down on his DP's, Guillen should bat him after :walnuts.

Mickster
01-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Well, Maggs is gone and we need AJ to replace his production.

johnny_mostil
01-29-2005, 10:39 AM

You think maybe that was affected by the guy walking 232 times in front of him?

Check out Marquis Grissom's DP total. It spiked last year, too.

Tragg
01-29-2005, 11:06 AM

But....
But also....
Only 19 walks

A lot of us pointed that out a month ago.

But as Rogers said in his article after the trade, this is the kind of hitter Ozzie likes - he can work the bat, swing at everything, and lay down a bunt. A hitter just like Ozzie was - can't get on base but can put the ball in play.

The concern for OBP from the management was, indeed, "lip" service.

Why is getting the ball in play a good thing if no one is on base (no DP possibility?
The 3% of the time you could reach on an error?
For most cases, An out is an out is an out.

RichFitztightly
01-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Why is getting the ball in play a good thing if no one is on base (no DP possibility?
The 3% of the time you could reach on an error?
For most cases, An out is an out is an out.

Putting the ball in play is good because 25-30% of the time that ball finds a hole.

Chrisaway
01-29-2005, 04:56 PM

GIDPierzynski???

jabrch
01-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Here again is a classic case of the complete misuse of statistics. P/PA is being used in isolation and it is concluding "impatience" which implicitly is bad. The conclusion people are being lead to is that AJ's "impatience" is "bad". The truth of the matter is that teams would rather have guys swing at more pitches, make more contact, and get more hits (.294/.336/.438) than a guy who has more P/PA, but worse net offensive numbers.

Would you rather have a guy get a hit on the first pitch, or a guy strike out on the 5th one?

Lots of guys like AJ are notorious first ball hitters. Garciaparra is one of them - he swings at a lot of pitches - and hits the ball. That's not "impatient" that's aggressive.

Now if he had a low P/PA and was striking out a lot, or hitting .220, that's another story. But AJ is being aggressive in the hitting zone - not "impatient".

MRKARNO
01-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Here again is a classic case of the complete misuse of statistics. P/PA is being used in isolation and it is concluding "impatience" which implicitly is bad. The conclusion people are being lead to is that AJ's "impatience" is "bad". The truth of the matter is that teams would rather have guys swing at more pitches, make more contact, and get more hits (.294/.336/.438) than a guy who has more P/PA, but worse net offensive numbers.

Would you rather have a guy get a hit on the first pitch, or a guy strike out on the 5th one?

Lots of guys like AJ are notorious first ball hitters. Garciaparra is one of them - he swings at a lot of pitches - and hits the ball. That's not "impatient" that's aggressive.

Now if he had a low P/PA and was striking out a lot, or hitting .220, that's another story. But AJ is being aggressive in the hitting zone - not "impatient".

I agree with you. If you read my comment a little up in the thread I said,
"I'm not saying that [AJ's impatience is] such a bad thing. I think it's great that he doenst K hardly at all, but as a consequence, he hardly ever walks. It's just a style which means that he has to have a high BA to have a pretty good OBP. Just an observation, not necessarily a complaint."

The other really impatient hitter who is up there with AJ on a lot of those impatience stats is Vlad Guerrero and I dont think anyone's complaining about his hitting ability. Valentin had a high P/PA last year too, but it was because he was getting 3 strikes in a lot of those PAs. It takes at least 3 pitches, and usually closer to 5 to get a strikeout, but you can get a hit on the first pitch. It's just an observation about his style. Impatience does carry a negative connotation, but it is still an accurate word. I apologize if I made it seem like I was upset with AJ's style of hitting because that is not the case. AJ had less strikeouts than any other statistically-qualifying player in baseball last year.

batmanZoSo
01-29-2005, 06:12 PM

But....
But also....
Only 19 walks

Well he's going from I believe the second worst hitters park where he put up great numbers, to the best hitters park in the majors. If he's that impatient maybe he should hit 8th or 9th.

doublem23
01-29-2005, 06:23 PM
A.J. Pierzynski's not the 2nd coming of Johnny Bench? Well ****, better cancel that '05 season.

NSSoxFan
01-29-2005, 06:53 PM
A.J. Pierzynski's not the 2nd coming of Johnny Bench? Well ****, better cancel that '05 season.

:D:. You mean they haven't yet?