PDA

View Full Version : Mega-obsession thread: Sosa traded To Orioles?

Pages : [1] 2

Randar68
01-28-2005, 08:59 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3359986

We'll see if it gets done. Hopefully Maggs signs with the Tigers this weekend.

SOXintheBURGH
01-28-2005, 09:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3359986

We'll see if it gets done. Hopefully Maggs signs with the Tigers this weekend.

I thought this rumor has since been debunked?

NSSoxFan
01-28-2005, 09:09 PM
:whocares .

DrCrawdad
01-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Listening to Murphy tonight is hilarious. First Murph reads a report from Ken Rosenthal (sp?) who said that a deal is NOT immenent. Murph twists that into a deal is immenent. Then all of a sudden Jerry Hairston is THE ideal leadoff hitter. Murph keeps saying that Hairston is a .300 hitter with a .370 OBP. Well that's what Hairston did last year, in his career he's hit .261 with a career .331 OBP.

The funny twist too is when Murph said that the Cubs will sign Magglio after the deal and that Magglio wanted to come to the Cubs all along.

Once Magglio left I've been saying that he'll go to the Cubs and the hype will be that his dream has always been to play with the Cubs. Then they'll say, he even turned down a better offer from the Sox in order to fulfill his dream with the Cubs.

Viva Medias B's
01-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Later on, Murph was talking about Jerry Hairston Jr. and mentioned that his father played for the White Sox. Then he mentioned that his grandfather also played for the White Sox, but Murph evidently does not know that his grandfather's name was Sam. He went on to call Jerry Jr. "Jerry III" thinking that Sam was "Jerry Sr."

JB98
01-28-2005, 09:59 PM
The Associated Press is reporting that the deal is close to done, pending medical tests, approval from Selig and approval from the players' association. The Cubs will pay a "substantial part" of Sosa's $17 million salary this season, and Sosa would agree to avoid his salary in 2006.

The Cubs will receive Jerry Hairston, and at least two prospects, according to the report. Selig's approval is necessary because the trade would involve a transfer of $1 million or more.

Too bad. It's always a shame when Cub fans get their way. I was hoping they'd be stuck with Sammy. I'm surprised he's willling to void his 2006 salary. He must really want out of Chicago.

Dub25
01-28-2005, 10:03 PM
For prospects per NBC5 and ESPN.

Viva Medias B's
01-28-2005, 10:04 PM
CBS 2 and ABC 7 led the 10:00 news with the Iraqi elections. What did NBC 5 lead with? This:

:shammy

Dub25
01-28-2005, 10:05 PM
This may already be in the What's The Score Room. Sorry if this should be there... I forgot about that new area.

SOXintheBURGH
01-28-2005, 10:06 PM
When this is official.. I'll care.

StillMissOzzie
01-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I was hoping the MLBPA would not let him void that clause for 2006's salary. That made it a lot easier to pull this one off. As it is, the sCrUBS are gonna eat a "substantial" portion of Sosa's $17M for 2005.

SMO
:angry:

Dub25
01-28-2005, 10:07 PM
What's the point of this move for Baltimore? They are still not better than N.Y. and Boston. Give them another year or two and they will have to trade everyone again.

SpammySosa
01-28-2005, 10:07 PM
HE GONE!(hopefully) While I would laugh to see the Scrubs stuck with him, it would also be nice to not have his sorry keister in Chicago any more.

SOXintheBURGH
01-28-2005, 10:08 PM
HE GONE!(hopefully) While I would laugh to see the Scrubs stuck with him, it would also be nice to not have his sorry keister in Chicago any more.

Good for Chicago, terrible for Baltimore. I'm moving there in a few weeks, that's the last thing I want to be greeting me. :angry:

santo=dorf
01-28-2005, 10:10 PM
ESPNews is reporting it as "Breaking news" in their little box in the corner.

"Cubs will trade Sosa to Orioles"

Dub25
01-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Will the Scrubs try to make a late offer to Maggs now?

JB98
01-28-2005, 10:12 PM
What's the point of this move for Baltimore? They are still not better than N.Y. and Boston. Give them another year or two and they will have to trade everyone again.

I think the point of the move it to increase attendance. Angelos is worried the novelty of a new team in Washington will reduce the amount of interest in the Orioles. This trade keeps Baltimore in the news.

Now, I don't think it's a good move by Baltimore, but that's why I think they're doing it.

Dub25
01-28-2005, 10:13 PM
I think the point of the move it to increase attendance. Angelos is worried the novelty of a new team in Washington will reduce the amount of interest in the Orioles. This trade keeps Baltimore in the news.

Now, I don't think it's a good move by Baltimore, but that's why I think they're doing it.

That makes sense.

Viva Medias B's
01-28-2005, 10:15 PM
If this does go through, Sosa will come here for a four-game weekend series May 12-15.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Am I the only one saddened by the departure of Sosa? He symbolized why I hate the cubs so much! They just won't be the same team that I've hated all these years without him....:whiner:

Viva Medias B's
01-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Am I the only one saddened by the departure of Sosa? He symbolized why I hate the cubs so much! They just won't be the same team that I've hated all these years without him....:whiner:

Don't worry. Dusty is still there.

Soxzilla
01-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Per WGN 720 and Ken Rosenthal, there is a deal pending between the Cubs and Orioles that would send Scammy So-So to Baltimore in return for Jerry Hairston Jr. and four minor leaguers.

I repeat though, this is pure speculation. Let us pray that Baltimore isn't this dumb (Sosa isn't worth a bag of balls with his pricetag, let alone a seasoned utility hitter and four raw talents).

And in other news, Angelos is a dumbass.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Don't worry. Dusty is still there.
And guys like LaTroy Hawkins, and Kyle Farnsworth. Can't forget the fans either. Thanks for cheering me up. :smile:

Dub25
01-28-2005, 10:25 PM

I'm sad as well. Now this stupid cub fan is going to tell me all about it. He guaranteed last night that Sammy would be traded and I told him he was fooling himself. I wanted Sammy to stay and torture all the cub fans.

Soxzilla
01-28-2005, 10:25 PM
I forgot to add that, there is also speculation these prospects, no clue how many, would be sent to Tampa in a trade involving Aub(d?)rey Huff.

SOXintheBURGH
01-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I forgot to add that, there is also speculation these prospects, no clue how many, would be sent to Tampa in a trade involving Aub(d?)rey Huff.

I thought there was no way Huff would leave Tampa... only good player on that miserable squad.

Dub25
01-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Anyone know any Cub sites to see how they are reacting?

buehrle4cy05

Man, you hit it right on the money...I guess I'll have to focus on Farnsworth, but he's not a big name..
:angry:

DrCrawdad
If this does go through, Sosa will come here for a four-game weekend series May 12-15.

I was just going to post that very point. If the trade goes thru, no doubt Sox fans AND Cubbie fans will boo Sosa then.

http://home.mindspring.com/~dcrosby101/SoxvsOrioles.jpg

Soxzilla
01-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Sorry for the post in talking baseball, didn't even think to look here ...

.... as this is my first time in this forum.

:redneck

MRKARNO
01-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Per WGN 720 and Ken Rosenthal, there is a deal pending between the Cubs and Orioles that would send Scammy So-So to Baltimore in return for Jerry Hairston Jr. and four minor leaguers.

I repeat though, this is pure speculation. Let us pray that Baltimore isn't this dumb (Sosa isn't worth a bag of balls with his pricetag, let alone a seasoned utility hitter and four raw talents).

And in other news, Angelos is a dumbass.

Ken Rosenthal has been extremely accurate with this stuff this offseason. He was on top of the Lee trade, the Hudson trade and the Mulder trade (and a few others I believe) before others and more accurately than the others. I would treat whatever he says as being likely to be the truth.

FedEx227
01-28-2005, 10:38 PM
I thought there was no way Huff would leave Tampa... only good player on that miserable squad.

Yeah....except for Rocco Baldelli, Scott Kasmir, Joey Gathright, Delmon Young, and B.J. Upton...laugh about the D-Rays now, but this is the best young team in baseball.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-28-2005, 10:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1978241

I'm surprised no one has put this up yet. Most notable player the Cubs will land is Jerry Hairston, Jr.

DrCrawdad
01-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Sorry for the post in talking baseball, didn't even think to look here ...

.... as this is my first time in this forum.

:redneck

Ok, then the mods will be gentle.
:)

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
is this really news?

GiveMeSox
WGN radio is saying Sosa trade has been agreed to and that the cubs are gonna get Harriston and 3 propsects. Hahaha pretty funnny right. Here is the link from rotoworld.

"Several sources told the AP that Sammy Sosa will be traded to the Orioles, with the Cubs paying a substantial portion of the $17 million he's owed this season.
Sosa reportedly would waive his no-trade clause and agree to void his salary in 2006. That makes it sound as if a contract extension won't be part of the deal. The Cubs will definitely get Jerry Hairston Jr. and prospects. Jorge Julio may or may not be involved."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=MLB

MUsoxfan
01-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Congratulations on being the 6th person to make a thread about this:D:

MRKARNO
01-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Hey, maybe because all the Cubs fans will be coming to boo Sosa, we should cheer him when he comes to Chicago.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-28-2005, 10:52 PM
thank god i can listen to jim rome at this moment. just hearing 2 mins of mike murphy's all nite cub show and the morons calling makes me wanna hurl.

chisoxmike
01-28-2005, 10:53 PM
On mlb.com is says Hendry is denying the report that Sosa is traded.

www.mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com)

WinningUgly!
01-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Congratulations on being the 6th person to make a thread about this:D:

All in the wrong forum.:rolleyes:

batmanZoSo
01-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Listening to Murphy tonight is hilarious. First Murph reads a report from Ken Rosenthal (sp?) who said that a deal is NOT immenent. Murph twists that into a deal is immenent. Then all of a sudden Jerry Hairston is THE ideal leadoff hitter. Murph keeps saying that Hairston is a .300 hitter with a .370 OBP. Well that's what Hairston did last year, in his career he's hit .261 with a career .331 OBP.

The funny twist too is when Murph said that the Cubs will sign Magglio after the deal and that Magglio wanted to come to the Cubs all along.

Once Magglio left I've been saying that he'll go to the Cubs and the hype will be that his dream has always been to play with the Cubs. Then they'll say, he even turned down a better offer from the Sox in order to fulfill his dream with the Cubs.

And Hairston did that last year in about 86 games. Murph is the quintessential idiot cub fan.

Kilroy
01-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Sosa to the O's.

Looks like we'll see the bum in non-interleague games now...

MUsoxfan
01-28-2005, 11:16 PM
...and it continues:cool:

The Wimperoo
01-28-2005, 11:29 PM
So Hairston will play RF? I know he played out there some last year, but he is a 2nd baseman. I don't see Mags passing up the type of money Detroit is throwing at him. Cubs still don't have a closer, unless Julio somehow gets involved.

Cubs blow :D:

LoganSox
01-28-2005, 11:34 PM
My first post and I can't believe I'm the one dropping this news...Sammy Sosa to the Orioles for Jerry Hairston and two minor leaguers.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!:supernana:

oeo
01-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Just saw it on Sports Center...Sosa to Orioles pending physical.

wsbaseball9
01-28-2005, 11:36 PM
man u beat to starting this thread...i cant wait til the orioles come to the cell

CHIsoxNation
01-28-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm glad I won't be seeing that stupid hop of his so much now in Chicago. What I am wondering now is if the Cubs are going to make big push for Maggs now that they got rid of Sosa. Talk about your stab in the back. :(:

Rocklive99
01-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Ha! The big knock on Hendry was that he didn't get a closer, and he doesn't even get Julio, the closest thing they would've had to one.

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Peter Angelos is a moron. How many times is he going to fall into the same trap? He must be making some serious cash by stacking his lineup with boppers and ignoring pitching. It's a shame Sham-ME won't be around to distract the Cubs anymore.

Now, here's to Sham-ME finishing 2nd in AL MVP voting behind Konerko and giving us a reason to hear 75 years of whining about the cute curse of Sosa. :gulp:

:barney&sham:
"Me and the dinosaur hereby curse the Cubs franchise."

santo=dorf
01-29-2005, 12:05 AM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2005/0128/photo/sosatraded_ft.jpg

Rocklive99
01-29-2005, 12:11 AM

Nellie_Fox
01-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Am I the only one saddened by the departure of Sosa? He symbolized why I hate the cubs so much! They just won't be the same team that I've hated all these years without him....:whiner:All these years? Oh, you are so young.

I hated the Cubs before Sosa...WAS BORN!

They will always be the same team I've hated "all these years."

Gosox1917
01-29-2005, 12:17 AM
See ya Sammy. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Rocklive99
01-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Anyone kind of like Sosa now? He does have the stinky Cub tag off of him, and I think it'd be funny to hear Murph and Cub fans if he were to have an MVP esque year. It's not like the O's are going to win anything anyways

bobj4400
01-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Anybody else think the Cubs got completely hosed on this trade? I know Sosa is a cancer and was getting old, but he still produced runs. Jerry Hairston is a 30 year old journeyman who doesnt even have a position to play with the Cubs. And they sent a "significant amount" of cash along with Sosa...this doesnt make sense for a guy with Hendry's above average record of making trades...

The Cubs are definitely WORSE after this trade...

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Anyone kind of like Sosa now? He does have the stinky Cub tag off of him, and I think it'd be funny to hear Murph and Cub fans if he were to have an MVP esque year. It's not like the O's are going to win anything anyways

I'll never like him or even stop disliking him. But, I do think it would be funny to see him explode for a 45 HR, 120 RBI season while the Cubs struggle for offense. Not likely, but it would be funny.

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 12:28 AM
Anybody else think the Cubs got completely hosed on this trade? I know Sosa is a cancer and was getting old, but he still produced runs. Jerry Hairston is a 30 year old journeyman who doesnt even have a position to play with the Cubs. And they sent a "significant amount" of cash along with Sosa...this doesnt make sense for a guy with Hendry's above average record of making trades...

It's addition by subtraction. They had to get rid of him. He was a clubhouse cancer and was going to be a huge distraction. I don't know that Hairston can play RF or LF for a whole season, but if he can, he gives them a much needed leadoff hitter. Maggs and Burnitz are still free agents, so they could go after one of them.

Gosox1917
01-29-2005, 12:29 AM

Currently they definitely are. Depending on the minor leaguers they get, this could help them in the not too distant future. Hopefully, they all suck it up and they're stuck with over-rated rookies for the next few seasons.

Rocklive99
01-29-2005, 12:32 AM
I'll never like him or even stop disliking him

:tool

But he saved baseball!

bobj4400
01-29-2005, 12:33 AM
It's addition by subtraction. They had to get rid of him. He was a clubhouse cancer and was going to be a huge distraction. I don't know that Hairston can play RF or LF for a whole season, but if he can, he gives them a much needed leadoff hitter. Maggs and Burnitz are still free agents, so they could go after one of them.

I agree it is addition by subtraction, but they still need someone to produce runs. Hairston is NOT an everyday outfielder in the bigs. He can spot fill in, but 162 games of him in LF would be comical. Also, since when is a .260 career hitter a bona fide leadoff man? Finally, will Maggs really leave all that money on the table with the Tigers to sign with the Cubs??? I dont think he is that stupid and Bor-ASS is his agent. He wont let that happen...

ChiSoxRowand
01-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Anyone know any Cub sites to see how they are reacting?

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=17862&start=0

ChiSoxFanInATL
01-29-2005, 12:36 AM
Poor Cubs, it will nice to see the Cardinals run away with the Division again. I hope Maggs signs with Texas and not Detroit. Go Sox:bandance:

Blueprint1
01-29-2005, 12:37 AM
ESPN.com - MLB - Cubs close in on trading Sosa to O's (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1978241). Its too bad really I would love to have seen him rot all summer on the North Side.

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 12:39 AM
I agree it is addition by subtraction, but they still need someone to produce runs. Hairston is NOT an everyday outfielder in the bigs. He can spot fill in, but 162 games of him in LF would be comical. Also, since when is a .260 career hitter a bona fide leadoff man? Finally, will Maggs really leave all that money on the table with the Tigers to sign with the Cubs??? I dont think he is that stupid and Bor-ASS is his agent. He wont let that happen...

Well, they'll have their boppers. Nomar, Lee, Ramirez, and Patterson will still give them enough pop. They needed a leadoff hitter. Hairston's career numbers don't look good, but those are really skewed by some poor seasons early in his career. In his past few seasons, he's done well in limited playing time.

As for Maggs, who knows how much money is really on the table and how much the Cubs will offer. When Boras is involved, you can never really trust the leaked numbers. I wouldn't be surprised in the Tigers offer is more along the lines of 3 years, $36 million with some kind of out clause if Maggs doesn't play a certain number of games.

I hope the rumors of the Cubs trading the prospects for Aubrey Huff are false.

HebrewHammer
01-29-2005, 12:40 AM
It'll be interesting to see where the minor leaguers end up, rumor(complete cubs.scout.com b.s. probably) is that they'll be spun into a deal for Huff+Baez or Termel Sledge from Washington.

Here's hoping they sign Jeromy Burnitz to fill the void at strikeout machine.

bc2k
01-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Anybody else think the Cubs got completely hosed on this trade?

I was thinking about that too. The Cubs lose Alou and Sosa and replace them with Hairston and Hollandsworth/Dubois. While it was smart letting Alou walk since he likely won't produce his 2004 numbers again, or even play as many games, the Cubs might miss the combined offensive production of hand-pisser and pill-popper. BUT, as has already been stated, they could add Burnitz or Ordonez to compensate for the offensive loss.

Hairston
Walker
Garciaparra?
Ramirez
Lee
Patterson
Hollandsworth/Burnitz/Ordonez?
Barrett
P

Looks kind of similar to what Chicago's big league club did this offseason by trading power numbers for a more balanced lineup.

Slats
01-29-2005, 12:41 AM
Thursday May 12th. First home game against Baltimore.

Slats
01-29-2005, 12:42 AM
My guess is that hairston is trade bait

bobj4400
01-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Well, they'll have their boppers. Nomar, Lee, Ramirez, and Patterson will still give them enough pop. They needed a leadoff hitter. Hairston's career numbers don't look good, but those are really skewed by some poor seasons early in his career. In his past few seasons, he's done well in limited playing time.

As for Maggs, who knows how much money is really on the table and how much the Cubs will offer. When Boras is involved, you can never really trust the leaked numbers. I wouldn't be surprised in the Tigers offer is more along the lines of 3 years, $36 million with some kind of out clause if Maggs doesn't play a certain number of games.

I just think we're falling into the Trib/Murph/Mariotti trap of thinking any player on the Cubs automatically increases his value 3 fold. If we got Hairston for Ordonez (or even Lee for that matter) plus sending a ton of cash, we would all storm Kenny Williams office and hang him by his toes from the right field foul pole...

bc2k
01-29-2005, 12:45 AM

I second that.

Rocklive99
01-29-2005, 12:52 AM

Ugh, they have Maggs in avators with Scrub gear and even refer to him as "Maggs" That's the reason I'd rather see him go to Detroit and hit .320/35/115 than go to the Flubs and hit .253/8/67, just so I don't have to hear their idiot fans. I know, in the own division and all that, but my Cub fan hatred overtakes that, maybe it's just me though

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Hmm, just found this from Phil Rogers. Take it FWIW.

When the Cubs play their home opener at Wrigley Field, the guy running out to greet the fans in right field is likely to be Jeromy Burnitz. He might want to make sure he's wearing the proper uniform, as this would be his fifth team in the last five seasons.

Burnitz? Huh?

He's still a free agent, but a source indicated the Cubs passed on having outfielder Jay Gibbons included in the pending deal with Baltimore because they are close to signing a free-agent outfielder.

That is not going to be Magglio Ordonez, whom the Detroit Tigers reportedly have offered at least $55 million over five years.

"If that is true, and it probably is, it might be the craziest signing in years," one baseball executive said.

The Cubs are many things, but crazy is not among them. So with Ordonez having joined Carlos Beltran in the group of players general manager Jim Hendry likes but doesn't have to have, they appear close to signing Burnitz, who has not been able to scare up much interest despite hitting 30-plus homers in six of the last seven seasons.

Could you ever conceive of the Cubs paying a team to take Sosa off their hands and then signing a drifter like Burnitz to replace him? In a year when they are shooting for the World Series, no less?

Full article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050128rogerssosadealie,1,5301926.column?coll=cs-columnists)

santo=dorf
01-29-2005, 12:57 AM
I second that.

Devil Rays fans are going nuts on their boards saying he isn't

The O's wanted Huff, so why wouldn't they just overpay for him to get 2 years of his services instead of getting Sosa for one year? :?:

Just another case of flub fans (and the media) refusing to let reality get in the way.

Nellie_Fox
01-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Ugh, they have Maggs in avators with Scrub gear and even refer to him as "Maggs" That's the reason I'd rather see him go to Detroit and hit .320/35/115 than go to the Flubs and hit .253/8/67, just so I don't have to hear their idiot fans. I know, in the own division and all that, but my Cub fan hatred overtakes that, maybe it's just me thoughAre you serious? I'd far rather seen Ordońez absolutely suck with the Cubs than succeed elsewhere, both because he turned down a huge contract out of greed, and because of how that would kill Cubby fans.

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 12:59 AM
I just think we're falling into the Trib/Murph/Mariotti trap of thinking any player on the Cubs automatically increases his value 3 fold. If we got Hairston for Ordonez (or even Lee for that matter) plus sending a ton of cash, we would all storm Kenny Williams office and hang him by his toes from the right field foul pole...

Well, it depends. If Magglio was a huge clubhouse cancer like Sosa, and we had to get rid of him, maybe Sox fans wouldn't be too upset. Maybe I'm just overrating Hairston here because I've wanted him on the Sox for the past two years. I've been reading the Cubs board that someone posted a link to earlier in this thread and they certainly aren't happy with this trade. I think Hairston could be a fine player if given a shot. Hell, I hope they only use him off the bench because I think he'd be a better fit at 2nd than Walker.

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 01:01 AM

The O's wanted Huff, so why wouldn't they just overpay for him to get 2 years of his services instead of getting Sosa for one year? :?:

Just another case of flub fans (and the media) refusing to let reality get in the way.

Good point. I'm seeing Cubs fans talking about getting Huff, Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns, Brad Wilkerson, etc. And now they might end up with Burnitz instead. Ha!

HebrewHammer
01-29-2005, 01:07 AM

My first response to this was "There's a D-Rays message board?"

santo=dorf
01-29-2005, 01:12 AM
My first response to this was "There's a D-Rays message board?"

LOL. Yeah, the MLB boards.

According to the Washington Post, the Cubs will receive second baseman Mike Fontenot and right-hander Dave Crouthers from the Orioles in the Sammy Sosa deal.
Jerry Hairston Jr. too, of course. The prospects shouldn't really be in the Cubs' plans. Richard Lewis is at least as good of a second-base prospect as Fontenot, and Crouthers doesn't project as much more than a middle reliever. It's possible that one or both of the youngsters will be involved in a subsequent trade. Jan. 29 - 1:51 am et
Source: Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45876-2005Jan28.html)
Dave Crouthers stats (http://www.sports-wired.com/profiles/CR/tbc5019.asp) Mike Fontenot stats (http://www.sports-wired.com/profiles/FO/tbc5318.asp)

BTW, I love the name and sig!

Cubbiesuck13
01-29-2005, 01:25 AM

I blame you for this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/KingJME/MagglioTheCub.jpg The first thing I see when I click that link. Second thing is someone talking about "manlove". Not joking. I am so glad I am not a Flub fan.

winning ugly 72
01-29-2005, 01:34 AM
this picture makes me want to puke

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/KingJME/MagglioTheCub.jpg

HebrewHammer
01-29-2005, 01:48 AM
this picture makes me want to puke

That site makes me want to puke.

Let me get this straight, you've lost 30% of last years offense and a starting pitcher who would be a #2 or #3 on most teams, still have no bullpen, still have no bench, still have a streaky lineup that lives and dies by the long ball, but you've added Jerry Hairston Jr. and you might have a shot at another slugger, so everything is groovy. And they wonder why we constantly hose on them.

Nellie_Fox
01-29-2005, 01:49 AM
I blame you for this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/KingJME/MagglioTheCub.jpg The first thing I see when I click that link. Second thing is someone talking about "manlove". Not joking. I am so glad I am not a Flub fan.Proof positive that absolutely no one looks good in a Cubs cap.

SomebodyToldMe
01-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Boy howdy, do I hate cubbie blue.

This trade actually gets me a bit upset, because I actually root for the O's...So I'm on the sad side now.

Cubbiesuck13
01-29-2005, 02:38 AM
Will this at all affect his cubby legacy? I hope so. That would be the only good thing to come of this. I don't know if I could stand to hear about him twenty years from now.

Cubbiesuck13
01-29-2005, 02:43 AM
Good for Chicago, terrible for Baltimore. I'm moving there in a few weeks, that's the last thing I want to be greeting me. :angry:
I got a picture in my head of ShaME in the airport waiting for you
:shammy

Welcome to Baltimore! Love me! I do!

Cubbiesuck13
01-29-2005, 03:09 AM
I just want to congratulate all of you guys on picking up one of the greatest Cubs legend of all time. I think he is set for A HUGE year after being brought down by teammates, fans, and the media in Chicago. Hey may have some rough times, but guys PLEASE DONT BOO HIM. That's what happened in Chicago. They booed him, and he tried harder and strangely when you try harder you usually fail.

I'm projecting at least 50 hrs in the great new ballpark you guys got. GREAT JOB GUYS. Is Hairston pretty good???+

From cubfan16 at the Oriole board. All I can say is Wow. and the number on the end of his handle must be his IQ.

SoxxoS
01-29-2005, 03:26 AM
Sosa does suck...and he is really going to suck since he has scaled off the juice...

But adding Burnitz does nothing but make this team worse off...Sosa's offensive production is better than Burnitz, with or without juice. I just hope they are still a disaster in the clubhouse, b/c Sosa is one of a kind. :nandrolone

"Big misdake. Huge misdake."

inta2
01-29-2005, 03:28 AM
obviously brain power is at an all time low in the once respectable baltimore franchise...

front page on www.espn.com

orioles trade for sosa.

now i hope he rebounds and has a career season.

Cubbiesuck13
01-29-2005, 03:31 AM
obviously brain power is at an all time low in the once respectable baltimore franchise...

front page on www.espn.com (http://www.espn.com/)

orioles trade for sosa.

now i hope he rebounds and has a career season.

Late. Check the What's the Score page. 6 pages of this. awfull, truely awfull

inta2
01-29-2005, 04:12 AM
Late. Check the What's the Score page. 6 pages of this. awfull, truely awfull

well last i checked the what's the score sector was dedicated to rumors and that thread was pretty much the same as friday's trib article on the possiblity of the sosa trade... not about the trade actually taking place.

sorry on the redudancy.. but the trade is a done deal.

mod's delete if necessary.

Nick@Nite
01-29-2005, 04:17 AM
Now that Sosa is an Oriole, it'll be interesting to see if the Cubs suddenly become the frontrunner to signing Maggs.

Cubbiesuck13
01-29-2005, 04:18 AM
well last i checked the what's the score sector was dedicated to rumors and that thread was pretty much the same as friday's trib article on the possiblity of the sosa trade... not about the trade actually taking place.

sorry on the redudancy.. but the trade is a done deal.

mod's delete if necessary.

I was just letting you know that there was 6 pages talk about this.

NSSoxFan
01-29-2005, 04:24 AM
This is a terrible trade for both teams, IMO. The Orioles are getting someone who's career was built on steroids, plain and simple. Shamme will give you 20-30 home runs. And now for the sCrUBS. I really hope the media doesn't hype this up for them, should that be in teal? haha. Hairston Jr. only played in 86 games in 2004 and only 58 in 2003, which is not reliable at all. This was simply a trade that was made by the sCrUBS to rid their team of a cancer, it wasn't made to improve the team.

Unregistered
01-29-2005, 04:33 AM
Now that Sosa is an Oriole, it'll be interesting to see if the Cubs suddenly become the frontrunner to signing Maggs. First, the Cubs don't want to sign him to more than 2 years. Second, no NL team is going to be wild about signing a guy who can't field his position, and third, there is NO WAY the Cubs are going to even come close to matching the money Detroit is supposedly offering, mainly because of the first 2 items. I wish this Magglio to the Cubs thing would just die already... :mad:

Nick@Nite
01-29-2005, 04:47 AM
First, the Cubs don't want to sign him to more than 2 years. Second, no NL team is going to be wild about signing a guy who can't field his position, and third, there is NO WAY the Cubs are going to even come close to matching the money Detroit is supposedly offering, mainly because of the first 2 items. I wish this Magglio to the Cubs thing would just die already... :mad:

Maggs supposed desire to stay in Chicago suddenly has the opportunity to do just that… beyond that, I could care less where Maggs ends up.

Relax, it's gonna be a beautiful day.

EDIT: I wish my coffee kicked in before stumbling onto the 7 page thread in the WTS.

dpbyron
01-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Link to ESPN story (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1978241)

Sportsnation Poll (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=1154)

This is not good. I was counting on this bum to sabotage the Cubs upcoming season. This move is a textbook definition of addition by subtraction.:angry: :angry:

Banix12
01-29-2005, 05:41 AM
If Sosa has a season similar to what he did last year then replacing Sosa in the lineup with Jeromy Burnitz would probably be even. Burnitz's career numbers are about even with what Sosa did last year, he's a left handed bat, and he's above average defensively. He's also never a clubhouse distraction and wouldn't mind batting lower in the lineup.

I'm not saying Burnitz is a great player, i'm just saying you flip Sosa around the the left you basically get Burnitz. The same production at a discount of around $13 million.

What I think is going to be interesting after this off-season of Sosa and all the bridges he burned in Chicago, is what happens to him when he gets to the hall of fame. I know the idea of him going to the hall makes us all sick but he meets the statistical requirements. He will be going in as a Cub most likely since players no longer get to choose the hat on the plaque. What's his speech gonna be, "baseball been bery bery good to me, but both teams in chicago can go to hell!"

So whose mission is it going to be to frame him for gambling and keep him out of the hall? Any Takers? Who wants the job?

cubhater
01-29-2005, 05:58 AM
Hope Sosa sneezes during his physical!:D:

Cubbiesuck13
01-29-2005, 06:10 AM
Hope Sosa sneezes during his physical!:D:

Post of the Week!

StepsInSC
01-29-2005, 07:47 AM
I see the Orioles are doing their best Mets impersonation....

idseer
01-29-2005, 07:50 AM
hard to understand why anyone cares about where he plays. are you under the impression he's some big sox killer or something? sosa is SO on his way out. :rolleyes:

eastchicagosoxfan
01-29-2005, 08:41 AM
It's being widely reported that Shammy Sosa will be " given " to Baltimore. For Jerry Hairston Jr. and a couple of minor leaguers. Good riddance. His presence in the Chicago market took attention away from other deserving players. His hitting will suffer now that he won't be juiced. On second thought, I'd rather have the self-absorbed clown in Chicago, helping destroy the Flubs for another season.

gosox41
01-29-2005, 08:41 AM
WGN radio is saying Sosa trade has been agreed to and that the cubs are gonna get Harriston and 3 propsects. Hahaha pretty funnny right. Here is the link from rotoworld.

"Several sources told the AP that Sammy Sosa will be traded to the Orioles, with the Cubs paying a substantial portion of the $17 million he's owed this season.
Sosa reportedly would waive his no-trade clause and agree to void his salary in 2006. That makes it sound as if a contract extension won't be part of the deal. The Cubs will definitely get Jerry Hairston Jr. and prospects. Jorge Julio may or may not be involved."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.asp?sport=MLB

The players union is going to allow Sosa to give up money? I thought they didn't do things like that.

Bob

gosox41
01-29-2005, 08:42 AM
First, the Cubs don't want to sign him to more than 2 years. Second, no NL team is going to be wild about signing a guy who can't field his position, and third, there is NO WAY the Cubs are going to even come close to matching the money Detroit is supposedly offering, mainly because of the first 2 items. I wish this Magglio to the Cubs thing would just die already... :mad:

FWIW, the Tigers are the leading team to sign Magglio. Money and years scared off some teams.

Bob

RKMeibalane
01-29-2005, 08:43 AM
:hurt

"Victory is mine!"

RKMeibalane
01-29-2005, 08:55 AM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2005/0128/photo/sosatraded_ft.jpg

He looks ridiculous in that hat. Does anybody besides me think we should start referring to Sammy as "Big Bird" now that he's playing for Baltimore?

zach074
01-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Is this a done deal? Because the Cubs say its not true.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20050128&content_id=936733&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp

zach074
01-29-2005, 08:57 AM
He looks ridiculous in that hat. Does anybody besides me think we should start referring to Sammy as "Big Bird" now that he's playing for Baltimore?

He looks ridiculous in any hat!:tongue:

LongLiveFisk
01-29-2005, 09:07 AM
:tomatoaward

Hey Sammy don't let the big door of Chicago hit you in the ass on the way out. So long, loser! :booty:

Flight #24
01-29-2005, 09:23 AM
The players union is going to allow Sosa to give up money? I thought they didn't do things like that.

Bob

Trib reported the chubs as paying half of sham-me's salary (17mil). Considering that he has a 4.5mil buyout, they just turned a 21.5mil cost into 8.5mil+hairston+prospects.

Thats an outstanding job by Hendry and further proof that the O's are morons. 12.5mil for sham-me? Just make that offer to JD Drew for crissakes and you get a much better deal.

Also - anyone else notice how coincidentally, there's an offhand remark in there about Sosa being 36 "although some beieve he's actually 2 years older"? Nice journalistic integrity there that that only comes out as he's traded.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Boy, this one just smacks of more rumor-mongering by the east coast media. "Oh, it's just sooooo competitive to get scoops back east... we have to run with the rumors... that's our job!"

Anybody who calls themselves a sports journalist ought to be hanging their head in shame about some of the bull**** that has reached publication in the credible "mainstream sports media" this winter. It reads like a who's who of all the saggy butts sitting in the pressbox with MLB press credentials. Gimme a ****ing break...

Brian26
01-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Boy, this one just smacks of more rumor-mongering by the east coast media. "Oh, it's just sooooo competitive to get scoops back east... we have to run with the rumors... that's our job!"

I don't know, it's been all over television this morning, from CNN to ESPN to the local NBC morning show. Reports say Sosa waived his option for '06, and after physicals the deal may be done by tomorrow night.

SpammySosa
01-29-2005, 10:09 AM
I don't know, it's been all over television this morning, from CNN to ESPN to the local NBC morning show. Reports say Sosa waived his option for '06, and after physicals the deal may be done by tomorrow night.

The way they're making such a big deal over this,you would think a REAL SUPERSTAR like Frank had been traded. :cool:

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 10:14 AM
It's a done deal so long as all parties pass a physical. Sosa wants out as he knows he could not survive the beating he will take in Wrigley this year. This Hendry guy, who does he have compromising pictures of? Unreal!

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Is this a done deal? Because the Cubs say its not true.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/news/chc_news.jsp?ymd=20050128&content_id=936733&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp

Standard procedure. Teams don't like to admit that trades are done until they are truly done. The players have been agreed to, and the money that the Cubs will pay is set, but there are still other hurdles to clear. The players have to pass their physicals, the commish has to approve the trade because of the money involved, the Union still has to officially allow Sosa to void the option year on his contract, and Sham-ME has to agree to waive his no-trade clause. All four should get done, but it's not official so they aren't going to admit to the trade. No surprise. Like I said, just standard procedure in case something does fall apart.

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 10:18 AM

Bob

They will allow him to waive the option year because it isn't guaranteed money. The Union knows that the only way Sosa can be traded is if the team acquiring him doesn't have to pay for that 2nd year. They know that if Sosa isn't traded, there's no way Sosa will ever see that money because the Cubs won't pick up the option. So they will allow him to waive it because he won't ever get that money.

MRKARNO
01-29-2005, 10:22 AM

Anybody who calls themselves a sports journalist ought to be hanging their head in shame about some of the bull**** that has reached publication in the credible "mainstream sports media" this winter. It reads like a who's who of all the saggy butts sitting in the pressbox with MLB press credentials. Gimme a ****ing break...

I think you're wrong on this one PHG. You're right in that too much of the news this year on the baseball offseasn front has really been rumors that have gotten too far (see every news bit involving Johnson before he was actually traded), but I'd be shocked if Scam-Me isnt going to the Orioles. Everyone's reporting it, so there must be some confirmation that the general public is not getting from the two teams. If there wasnt a solid basis to base this on, I think some news agency wishing to discredit the other ones would have tried to cast doubt or debunk this "rumor."

Hendry's denial is standard procedure, as Jjav said. It's sort of like when Kenny Williams said we werent really going after Iguchi at Sox Fest and we signed him 3 days later. KW didnt want to say anything until everything was official. I dont really think you can take Hendry's word for this, especially as that article was from last night and I'm sure a lot has happened between then and now.

Palehose13
01-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Hendry's denial is standard procedure, as Jjav said. It's sort of like when Kenny Williams said we werent really going after Iguchi at Sox Fest and we signed him 3 days later. KW didnt want to say anything until everything was official. I dont really think you can take Hendry's word for this, especially as that article was from last night and I'm sure a lot has happened between then and now.

I never thought KW denied going after Iguchi. At the Saturday Q&A, when the question was brought up he said something like "So much for going under the radar." quietly. Then said "You guys have never even seen him play!" and finished with his usual, I can't tell you what's going on cause that might mess up things if we were trying to come to terms with a contract. IIRC, he never flat out denied it.

I don't know where I stand with the Sosa issue...Did any side on the RJ trade or ARod trade ever deny it? I would think that the cubs would just keep quiet instead of denying it if it were true.

MRKARNO
01-29-2005, 10:48 AM
I never thought KW denied going after Iguchi. At the Saturday Q&A, when the question was brought up he said something like "So much for going under the radar." quietly. Then said "You guys have never even seen him play!" and finished with his usual, I can't tell you what's going on cause that might mess up things if we were trying to come to terms with a contract. IIRC, he never flat out denied it.

He didnt, but he made it sound as though he wasnt really going after him because Iguchi was looking for too much money. It's just the different MOs of the two GMs. Both of them were trying to quiet the speculation in the case that it fell through at the end.

California Sox
01-29-2005, 10:59 AM
ESPN is reporting that Sammy is on his way to the Orioles for Jerry Hairston Jr. and a couple of (unnamed) minor leaguers. The only thing holding up the deal are the physicals. Link:

Assuming Maggs jumps at the $70mil the Tigers are throwing at him, who the heck will the Cubs have in the OF this season? Maybe Prior can play RF four days a week.

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Per the Orioles board, ESPN radio says it's Harriston and FOUR minor leaguers to the Cubs.:o: It also appears that the Cubs will then move the minor leagues to the Rays for Aubrey Huff.:o: :o:

As Ozzie would say: "Wow, I mean, Wow'!

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 11:10 AM
The Rays board is saying that Sergio Mitre would be included in any deal that would send Huff to the Cubs. I have a headache.

mdep524
01-29-2005, 11:12 AM
I am still baffled, completely BAFFLED, by the fact that any team would want Sammy Sosa to play for them at ANY cost. WHY? The guy's a clubhouse cancer, his numbers have gone down significantly in each of the last 4 years, his defense is terrible, he's a proven cheater (corked bat), a suspected cheater (steroids) and he's expensive as hell. Why on Earth would anybody want him? There is this grand illusion that Sammy Sosa will somehow improve ratings or attendance, but can Baltimore ownership really be that oblivious to the way the general public actually dislikes the guy?

Despite the best efforts of their moronic GM Omar Minaya, the Mets backed off Sosa partially because of the horrible backlash it was causing with their fans, all of whom were outraged by the possibility of trading for that clown. Have the Orioles checked the pulse of their fans concerning this move? I'm sure the fans are against it. Ridiculous.

ja1022
01-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Steve Phillips was on ESPN radio this morning saying that Ordonez and the Tigers are getting closer and because of that, the Cubs are trying to get a Sosa deal done quickly so they can take a shot at Maggs. Phillips also said the figures on Ordonez were five years at $55 million with injury outs. He didn't say if that was the Ordonez-Boras counter or the Tigers' offer. The Detroit News reported that the Tigers' original offer was three years at $35 million. He did indicate the Cubs had strong interest in Ordonez, as I expect the Mets will, even without the DH.

OEO Magglio
01-29-2005, 11:25 AM
I think you're wrong on this one PHG. You're right in that too much of the news this year on the baseball offseasn front has really been rumors that have gotten too far (see every news bit involving Johnson before he was actually traded), but I'd be shocked if Scam-Me isnt going to the Orioles. Everyone's reporting it, so there must be some confirmation that the general public is not getting from the two teams. If there wasnt a solid basis to base this on, I think some news agency wishing to discredit the other ones would have tried to cast doubt or debunk this "rumor."

We'll see, I'm kind of with PHG on this one. There have been a couple trades this year that the media reported done and then a couple days later they weren't even on anymore, i.e. Huddy to the dodgers and the first three way deal involving rj. Who knows, this deal could be done but until everything falls into place I'm not betting on it. Also kenny never said they weren't going after Iguchi, he basically let everyone know at soxfest that they were going after him.

SoxWillWin
01-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I heard a report last night that the cubs are trading spammy to the orioles.....I hope it's not just a rumor..

MUsoxfan
01-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Ughhh.....look around the board before you post new threads. Please, for the love of God!

Rocklive99
01-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh, big surprise, all of a sudden ESPN is talking about how Sosa might not be the loveable person everyone sees on TV, and they even brought Moronotti on this mornings SportsCenter to reaffirm that he is mysterious and a bad teammate and even the steroid word was thrown around.

01-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Steve Phillips was on ESPN radio this morning saying that Ordonez and the Tigers are getting closer and because of that, the Cubs are trying to get a Sosa deal done quickly so they can take a shot at Maggs. Phillips also said the figures on Ordonez were five years at $55 million with injury outs. He didn't say if that was the Ordonez-Boras counter or the Tigers' offer. The Detroit News reported that the Tigers' original offer was three years at $35 million. He did indicate the Cubs had strong interest in Ordonez, as I expect the Mets will, even without the DH.

I'm convinced that Maggs is going to the Flubs now...this all happened to quickly once the Tigers made an offer...and Hendry is not going to give up Sammy and Alou without having a back up plan. I guarentee the Cubs have talked to Boras and told him to wait for us...and he will. :angry:

DrCrawdad
01-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Oh, big surprise, all of a sudden ESPN is talking about how Sosa might not be the loveable person everyone sees on TV, and they even brought Moronotti on this mornings SportsCenter to reaffirm that he is mysterious and a bad teammate and even the steroid word was thrown around.

The Cubune began the campaign to sway the public's opinion on Sosa and it's been effective. Now, from what I've heard, most Cubbie fans are glad to be dumping Sosa. Three years ago, when a better trade was offered, the Cubs considered trading Sosa but public opinion was against the deal. In the last year or so, the Cubune has declared it was open season on Sosa.

They've done a PR campaign worthy of the Karl Rove.

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm convinced that Maggs is going to the Flubs now...this all happened to quickly once the Tigers made an offer...and Hendry is not going to give up Sammy and Alou without having a back up plan. I guarentee the Cubs have talked to Boras and told him to wait for us...and he will. :angry:

I disagree. I think Huff is going to the Cubs for some of the prospects that are coming over from Baltimore for Sosa. Huff is less risky and already as good as Maggs and he hits from the left side.

Chisox003
01-29-2005, 12:06 PM
I love seeing Scammy leave, but this could really improve the Flubbies lineup...

Can you imagine a lineup containing Aramis Ramirez, Lee, Nomah, a healthy Mags AND Aubrey Huff? If Mags is healthy (big IF), and the Cubs some how land Huff, I consider that a huge upgrade over what they had last year in Ol' piss Hands and Corky...

But the big upside to this...No more Sammy!! Woo Hoo!! :gulp: :bandance:

Fredsox
01-29-2005, 12:06 PM
It occurred to me that the wonderful hypocrisy of Cub fans is really on display with the Sosa fiasco. These are people who worshiped and defended Sosa about his cheating by using corked bats (does anyone really believe the "batting practice bat" story?) and by using steroids. BUT - the moment he is no longer "lovable" because Kerry Wood gets pissed and breaks his radio, they turn on him. Now they can't wait to get rid of him, they boo his highlight films at the convention (so I heard), because he is no longer "Cubbie-like". It's OK for him to cheat though.

A side question, have we Sox fans ever demonstrated this type of behavior? Certainly not for Thomas, our own past MVP, who has had an up-down relationship with the fans. Have we ever been unabashed apologists for anyone? I can't think of a situation and I've been watching them play since 1971, with the possible exception of Dick Allen in 1972 just for that year.

OEO Magglio
01-29-2005, 12:08 PM
I love seeing Scammy leave, but this could really improve the Flubbies lineup...

Can you imagine a lineup containing Aramis Ramirez, Lee, Nomah, a healthy Mags AND Aubrey Huff? If Mags is healthy (big IF), and the Cubs some how land Huff, I consider that a huge upgrade over what they had last year in Ol' piss Hands and Corky...

But the big upside to this...No more Sammy!! Woo Hoo!! :gulp: :bandance:
First off, that won't happen, 2nd, if it did that lineup wouldn't be very effective.

Chisox003
01-29-2005, 12:10 PM
First off, why wont it happen...Second off, how won't it be effective

jdm2662
01-29-2005, 12:11 PM
I remember with the corked bat incident, only one Cub fan I know didn't buy has batting practice story. He's not blinded by Cubbieness and has hated Sosa since day one. Everyone else bought it. All those years, I had to listen how I was a jealous Sox fan and how dare I rip on Sosa. He's our cute and cuddley hero. It took them long enough to realize what a tool he really is. Now, I'm told I was right all along. Cub fans and Sosa deserve each other, and I hope this trade doesn't happen so I can laugh more.
________
VAPIR AIR ONE (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)

OEO Magglio
01-29-2005, 12:12 PM
First off, why wont it happen...Second off, how won't it be effective
Cause, the tigers have offered maggs a monster contract and I just don't see the cubs surpassing that if they already land huff. It won't be effective because it's a lineup full of power hitters, those kind of lineups just don't work well as a unit.

Hangar18
01-29-2005, 12:13 PM
The Baltimore Orioles are 2nd Dumbest team in baseball.
Watch how Sammy comes to Earth playing in the American League ......
.255 16 HR's

Chisox003
01-29-2005, 12:15 PM
I agree that they USUALLY dont work well, but it would still be an incredible lineup...

Even though the Tigers offered Mags a huge contract, he might still come to the Flubs for less money...It wont be a lot less, and that would really stick it to the Sox and their fans, something Mags seems determined to do...

Just my opinion

Flight #24
01-29-2005, 12:17 PM
They will allow him to waive the option year because it isn't guaranteed money. The Union knows that the only way Sosa can be traded is if the team acquiring him doesn't have to pay for that 2nd year. They know that if Sosa isn't traded, there's no way Sosa will ever see that money because the Cubs won't pick up the option. So they will allow him to waive it because he won't ever get that money.

The missing piece is the 4.5mil buyout. So unless the O's get him to agree to an extension (and supposedly he wants $10mil per), the MLBPA would need to make sure he's getting 21.5mil in 2005 (17mil salary + 4.5mil buyout of '06). Otherwise he'd be getting less money than the minimum he'd make by staying with the Chubs.

Based on what I've seen, this looks like a pretty good deal for the Cubs. Hairston+prospects for about 8-10mil savings? No brainer. If they can flip it for Huff? Incredible.

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 12:18 PM
I agree that they USUALLY dont work well, but it would still be an incredible lineup...

Even though the Tigers offered Mags a huge contract, he might still come to the Flubs for less money...It wont be a lot less, and that would really stick it to the Sox and their fans, something Mags seems determined to do...

Just my opinion

Yeah, because Maggs has so many reasons to want to "stick it" to Sox fans. :rolleyes:

OEO Magglio

Just my opinion
Borass won't let maggs go anywhere for less money, period. Those lineups never, ever work well, it just doesn't happen. They'd still have Patterson leading off where he doesn't belong. That lineup would do exactly what it did last year, get shut down, down the stretch of the season.

balke
wow. Here I was saying they should just choke on Sammy, cause there's noone left to get in return. I doubt all this stuff happens, but those would be crazy upgrades if they made all the moves. I'm baffled right now.

Vsahajpal
01-29-2005, 12:19 PM

I don't think this will happen.

OEO Magglio
01-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Let me add if this deal does go through, I think this is one heck of a deal by the cubs. If I were them I'd definitely hold onto hairston though. Jerry can play any of the outfield slots and leadoff, the cubs need that kind of guy.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-29-2005, 12:23 PM
I don't think Sox fans will worship any player in the way Cub fans worshipped Sosa. Sosa attracted the typical Cubs fan to the team, ie., someone who knows very little about the game. I can't recall any Sox player receiving that type of adulation. We're a much more critical, and realistic bunch.

ja1022
01-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Cub fans and Sosa deserve each other, and I hope this trade doesn't happen so I can laugh more.

Amen. I've been on record all along hoping Sosa stays. Now with all the news organizations reporting it's a done deal, I really hope it falls apart. I'll miss the entertainment value of the whole Sosa-Cubs thing when he's gone.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2005, 12:26 PM
For what it's worth the AP is reporting the Cubs will pay all but two million of Sosa's 2005 salary. If true that does not allow them the money to go out and offer such a large deal to Ordonez.

Phil Rogers in his Saturday column states that the Cubs are not nutty enough to take that kind of risk on Maggs and will be signing Jeromy Burnitz which Rogers says is a downgrade in right field.

On paper the Cubs will have a much weaker team then in the past two seasons they will have improved chemistry though which could translate into a better record.

Lip

Fredsox
01-29-2005, 12:31 PM
One of the more interesting things for me is the extreme degree to which they worshipped him, and now they have so totally turned on him. Now he's a selfish brat. They are such hypocrites (can you tell what a bitter Sox fan I am?)

mdep524
01-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Also - anyone else notice how coincidentally, there's an offhand remark in there about Sosa being 36 "although some beieve he's actually 2 years older"? Nice journalistic integrity there that that only comes out as he's traded.
I did notice that subtle little remark this morning and just laughed to myself. Funny how that age thing never came up in the past 10 years, eh? Also, I wouldn't be surprised if steroid whispers and allegations, once taboo concerning Sosa, find their way into some of these Cubune articles next week after the trade becomes official.

Chisox003
01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah, because Maggs has so many reasons to want to "stick it" to Sox fans. :rolleyes:

That's what I'm saying...He has no reason to, but it seems like that's what he has intended to do...

The more I think about it, the more impossible it seems that he'll end up on the northside anyway...It has to be an AL team so he can DH, and Boras will go where the money is...

SoxSpeed22
01-29-2005, 01:01 PM
This behavior is what annoyed me so much about the Cubs last year (Plus whinyness, boring offense, etc.) The worst part was I used to like the Cubs (but always liked the Sox better), but since 2004, they "weren't them anymore". You saw fans turnin' on Patterson for every strikeout, throwin things when players were whinin' at umps. Sosa made them as popular as they are now and the demand for winning, which magically appeared in 2004, drove him out. As for the Sox, the fans are way too smart to go to that kind of behavior. If I boo anyone, its guys like Billy Koch cuz they suck, any ex-Sox who ****ed up with us and won with other teams. *Cough* Foulke *Cough* Wells or people who try and give us **** in our house, *Cough* Hunter.

santo=dorf
01-29-2005, 01:11 PM
For what it's worth the AP is reporting the Cubs will pay all but two million of Sosa's 2005 salary. If true that does not allow them the money to go out and offer such a large deal to Ordonez.

Phil Rogers in his Saturday column states that the Cubs are not nutty enough to take that kind of risk on Maggs and will be signing Jeromy Burnitz which Rogers says is a downgrade in right field.

On paper the Cubs will have a much weaker team then in the past two seasons they will have improved chemistry though which could translate into a better record.

Lip

The Pirates are negotiating with free-agent outfielder Jeromy Burnitz.
''We're having some talks, but that's about all I want to say,'' agent Howard Simon said. ''You always have a positive reaction when a team is interested in your player.'' A Burnitz signing would take Tike Redman out of the Pirates' lineup. That'd make him a significant upgrade even though he's likely to decline

How funny would it be to see the Cubs left at the Altar with Maggs going to the Tigers and Burnitz going to the Pirates? I imagine the Cubs would go after Jacque Jones if that happened.

Ol' No. 2
01-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I am still baffled, completely BAFFLED, by the fact that any team would want Sammy Sosa to play for them at ANY cost. WHY? The guy's a clubhouse cancer, his numbers have gone down significantly in each of the last 4 years, his defense is terrible, he's a proven cheater (corked bat), a suspected cheater (steroids) and he's expensive as hell. Why on Earth would anybody want him? There is this grand illusion that Sammy Sosa will somehow improve ratings or attendance, but can Baltimore ownership really be that oblivious to the way the general public actually dislikes the guy?

Despite the best efforts of their moronic GM Omar Minaya, the Mets backed off Sosa partially because of the horrible backlash it was causing with their fans, all of whom were outraged by the possibility of trading for that clown. Have the Orioles checked the pulse of their fans concerning this move? I'm sure the fans are against it. Ridiculous.This is the $64,000 question. Why in hell would the O's even CONSIDER acquiring Sosa? Are they planning on selling more tickets so fans can come out and boo him? This is the team that ran Eddie Murray and Jim Palmer out of town. Just wait until Sammy tries out his usual act. He doesn't have the Cubune protecting his ass there. The East Coast media will barbeque him.

OEO Magglio
01-29-2005, 01:27 PM
This is the $64,000 question. Why in hell would the O's even CONSIDER acquiring Sosa? Are they planning on selling more tickets so fans can come out and boo him? This is the team that ran Eddie Murray and Jim Palmer out of town. Just wait until Sammy tries out his usual act. He doesn't have the Cubune protecting his ass there. The East Coast media will barbeque him.
I think they're trying to get a name guy to draw more fans since the nationals are coming into their area. It's a dumb move though(obviously) because most of the real o's fans seem to be angry about the deal but I guess sosa could help them draw some casual fans, maybe?? I don't know, I'm reaching because I'm just as baffled as everyone else.

Ol' No. 2
01-29-2005, 01:39 PM
I think they're trying to get a name guy to draw more fans since the nationals are coming into their area. It's a dumb move though(obviously) because most of the real o's fans seem to be angry about the deal but I guess sosa could help them draw some casual fans, maybe?? I don't know, I'm reaching because I'm just as baffled as everyone else.That's the general consensus. But how's that going to work out when Sosa becomes everyone's favorite target to boo? If what I'm reading is correct, they're going to have to sign him to an extension to satisfy the union's requirements, so they would be stuck with him for 2 more years. If you thought Sosa was a distraction in Cubdom, wait until this plays out in Baltimore. I'm thinking along the lines of...
http://www.vidicom-tv.com/home/images/vidicom-main-hindenburg.jpg

Jerome
01-29-2005, 01:43 PM
That after Shammy is traded the prospects will be dealt to the D-Rays for Aubrey Huff. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned - please move if it has)

To this I say congratulations to Jim Hendry for becoming the most successful thief in baseball since Rickey Henderson.

You aquried Ramirez, Lee, and now Huff, all good/great players for garbage. Why did you do this? Because the teams these great players used to be on don't want to pay their players/can't pay them, so you swooped right in with the large checkbook of the Cubune and took those players away.

ARAM for Bobby Hill
Lee for Hee Chop
Huff for ???

The rich get richer. I didn't even mention the whole reason this trade is being made - the fact that the Cubs are willing to give the Orioles 10 million dollars. They can just throw money at their mistakes.

I hope you're happy Bud Selig.

ja1022
01-29-2005, 01:51 PM
This is the $64,000 question. Why in hell would the O's even CONSIDER acquiring Sosa? Are they planning on selling more tickets so fans can come out and boo him? This is the team that ran Eddie Murray and Jim Palmer out of town. Just wait until Sammy tries out his usual act. He doesn't have the Cubune protecting his ass there. The East Coast media will barbeque him.
Evidently the Baltimore organization must feel that, with the Nats coming to the area, any publicity is better than none at all. Personally, I'd love to see this whole thing fall apart in the end, and the Cubs and Sammala end up stuck with each other. Unfortunately, the Cubs will be better without him, and with him and the help of some others, the Cubs have been exposed over the last couple of years as miserable douche bags rather than loveable losers.

DVsoxfan
01-29-2005, 02:09 PM
That after Shammy is traded the prospects will be dealt to the D-Rays for Aubrey Huff. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned - please move if it has)

To this I say congratulations to Jim Hendry for becoming the most successful thief in baseball since Rickey Henderson.

You aquried Ramirez, Lee, and now Huff, all good/great players for garbage. Why did you do this? Because the teams these great players used to be on don't want to pay their players/can't pay them, so you swooped right in with the large checkbook of the Cubune and took those players away.

ARAM for Bobby Hill
Lee for Hee Chop
Huff for ???

The rich get richer. I didn't even mention the whole reason this trade is being made - the fact that the Cubs are willing to give the Orioles 10 million dollars. They can just throw money at their mistakes.

I hope you're happy Bud Selig.

I heard this too. I have no idea why the Devil Rays would trade Huff. He's cheap, and hes one of the best hitters on the AL. Oh geez if the Cubs got Huff. I like Huff, I don't want him on the Cubs. I don't think that they get him...Pinella has said that he doesn't want Huff traded. Who else on that club is gonna hit..?? Wow, that would suck if this happened.

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 02:19 PM
I mentioned this in the Sosa to Baltiomore thread. Jim Hendry is either becoming one of the best GM'S in baseball or he has compromising pictures of people he has threatened to expose.

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 02:29 PM
The Devil Rays are't this stupid, right? I know Chuck LaMar is the GM, but they can't be this stupid.

If they trade Huff to the Cubs, they might as well fold up shop and quit. Don't show up to Spring Training. Contract them and be done with this joke of a franchise already.

JoseCanseco6969
01-29-2005, 02:30 PM
I cant believe I'm saying this, but if Shammy gets traded....I will root for him to succeed. Now before I get shelled for this, how nice would it be for him to have a stud year after being traded? The Cubs fans would be miserable to see it happen. Now probably it wont, but I just dont want to see the Cubs make out like bandits in this trade, which looks as though it might considering the Huff rumor.

I still think and know that Sosa is an @ss, but I have no reason to hate his guts anymore if hes not on the Cubs. Thoughts???

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 02:30 PM
The Devil Rays are't this stupid, right? I know Chuck LaMar is the GM, but they can't be this stupid.

If they trade Huff to the Cubs, they might as well fold up shop and quit. Don't show up to Spring Training. Contract them and be done with this joke of a franchise already.

Stupidity has nothing to do with it, they can't afford Huff.

ja1022
01-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Steve Phillips (former Met GM) reported on ESPN radio this morning that the Cubs were trying to push through the Sosa deal because the Tigers were getting closer to Ordonez (at 5 yrs./$55 million) and the Cubs wanted to take a shot at him. Given the questionable health of Ordonez and the lack of a DH, Huff would obviously make more sense. I hope they don't get either.

OEO Magglio
01-29-2005, 02:33 PM
He's making what 4 mill this year??

shingo3
01-29-2005, 02:34 PM
I still cant get over just the idea of Sosa getting traded thought it was just a publicity stunt more than anything personally i will still will boo Sosa no matter where he goes.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-29-2005, 02:36 PM

I would like to say to say the WSI moderating team's giant task of consolidating all these Flubbie-obsessed posts about Scammy the Dominican, Gimpy the Venzuelan, and Borass the Crook was in no way related to the limited brain capacity of the posters obsessing over a soap opera that has nothing to do with the White Sox.

I would like to say it. But I would be lying.
:cool:

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 02:56 PM

Sorry, it's stupidity. Huff's due $4.5 million this year. They gave Alex Gonzalez $1.75 million and Danny Bautista $1.9 million, and now they're going to trade their biggest hitter because they can't afford him? This after giving money to two players who don't even make them much better? They also gave Roberto Alomar $600,000. The Devil Rays are run like crap. Here's a bright idea. Don't sign Bautista. Start Joey Gathwright in center and Cruz Jr. in right. Give Jorge Cantu the job at 2B. Decide what position you want B.J. Upton to play. If it's 3B, then let him have a chance to win that job. Brilliant, Huh? Those moves save them $4 million, and they don't have to cry poor and trade one of their best players.

They are morons.

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Sorry, it's stupidity. Huff's due $4.5 million this year. They gave Alex Gonzalez $1.75 million and Danny Bautista $1.9 million, and now they're going to trade their biggest hitter because they can't afford him? This after giving money to two players who don't even make them much better? They also gave Roberto Alomar $600,000. The Devil Rays are run like crap. Here's a bright idea. Don't sign Bautista. Start Joey Gathwright in center and Cruz Jr. in right. Give Jorge Cantu the job at 2B. Decide what position you want B.J. Upton to play. If it's 3B, then let him have a chance to win that job. Brilliant, Huh? Those moves save them $4 million, and they don't have to cry poor and trade one of their best players.

They are morons.

Ok, they are SLIGHTLY stupid. However, the fact of the matter remains that they will never be able to meet Huff's demands when his walk year comes around and they are trying to load up the farm system. They may be stupid in terms of the quality they get in return but this would be a financial move, first and foremost.

MRKARNO
01-29-2005, 03:00 PM
I would like to say to say the WSI moderating team's giant task of consolidating all these Flubbie-obsessed posts about Scammy the Dominican, Gimpy the Venzuelan, and Borass the Crook was in no way related to the limited brain capacity of the posters obsessing over a soap opera that has nothing to do with the White Sox.

I would like to say it. But I would be lying.

Hey PHG, isnt the whole point of this forum (What's the Score?) to allow for what you'd call these "Silly Mega-Obsession Threads?"

PaleHoseGeorge
01-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Hey PHG, isnt the whole point of this forum (What's the Score?) to allow for what you'd call these "Silly Mega-Obsession Threads?"

Ahem...

The mega-threads are a CONSOLIDATION of multiple threads, most of them posted in the wrong forum. That's what makes them, "mega." The work necessary to clean up the mess is what makes it "silly" because it's totally unnecessary.

Leave the board administration to the staff, okay? Don't bother applying for the job either.

Jjav829
01-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Ok, they are SLIGHTLY stupid. However, the fact of the matter remains that they will never be able to meet Huff's demands when his walk year comes around and they are trying to load up the farm system. They may be stupid in terms of the quality they get in return but this would be a financial move, first and foremost.

A financial move they shouldn't have to make and wouldn't have to make if Chuck LaMar wasn't obsessed with overpaying mediocre veterans. The fact remains that this franchise is pathetic and they should be contracted. They'll continuously do this, too. If Huff doesn't go this offseason, he'll be traded during the season or next offseason. Soon they'll have to trade Baldelli or Crawford because they won't be able to afford both of them as they overpay another veteran outfielder. In a few years, once he develops into a quality pitcher, Scott Kazmir will be gone. B.J. Upton will be gone as soon as he deserves his first big payday. And so on. It's crap. They're morons for overpaying players like Alex Gonzalez and Danny Bautisa and it's going to cost them one of the best players in the history of their miserable franchise. If they aren't going to be contracted, they need to at least find a competent GM.

MRKARNO
01-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Ahem...

The mega-threads are a CONSOLIDATION of multiple threads, most of them posted in the wrong forum. That's what makes them, "mega." The work necessary to clean up the mess is what makes it "silly" because it's totally unnecessary.

Leave the board administration to the staff, okay? Don't bother applying for the job either.

Sorry, I was just asking a question of clarification. I didnt mean to offend

Chrisaway
01-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Only thing about this trade that bums me is that I liked to watch Hairston play. Now I gotta hate him. Oh well the Cubs look worse after this trade. Now they are seriously lacking power.

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 04:03 PM
If the Devil Dogs have any baseball smarts at all, they will DEMAND that Jason Dubois be included in any deal that involves Huff. If they don't, then I will admit they are stupid.

Soxzilla
01-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Sorry, I was just asking a question of clarification. I didnt mean to offend

I was wondering, is this a relatively new forum (what's the score?), because I've never noticed it before. Hence why I made my post in talking baseball.

Either that, or you may want to think of a new name ... like ...

"The silly mega-obsession forum" that way you wouldn't get so many double-posts.:cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-29-2005, 05:00 PM
"The silly mega-obsession forum" that way you wouldn't get so many double-posts.

Fair enough. Since you have a theory, here's one that works even better. If your post has something to do with any of these topics:

Sammy Sosa,
Magglio Ordonez,
Scott Boras, or
the Chicago Cubs,

do the moderators a favor and post it in here. They'll all wind up in here anyway whether you meant them to or not. Furthermore you'll be doing the moderating staff a huge favor, saving us the drudgery of tidying up the mess you're creating.

DrCrawdad
01-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Well, they'll have their boppers. Nomar, Lee, Ramirez, and Patterson will still give them enough pop.

Listening to Murphy last night and Bruce LeVineLine this afternoon, it's funny how Cubbie players stats get inflated. Murph & LeVineLine both referrred to the 40 HR guys they have in Ramirez and Lee. Jerry Hairston is a .300 hitter with a .380 OBP.

Ramirez and Lee had career years in HR last season with 36 & 32 respectively. Neither has EVER hit 40 HR.

In 287 AB last season Hairston hit .300 with a .380 OBP, his career numbers are much more pedestrian. So for Cubbie fan broadcasters like LeVineLine and Ramirez you don't bother to mention the career stats. And why you're at it, inflat the numbers on Ramirez & Lee.

OEO Magglio
01-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Only thing about this trade that bums me is that I liked to watch Hairston play. Now I gotta hate him. Oh well the Cubs look worse after this trade. Now they are seriously lacking power.
:?: Wow, I got to say I completely 100 percent disagree with that.

NSSoxFan
01-29-2005, 05:09 PM
:?: Wow, I got to say I completely 100 percent disagree with that.

I wouldn't say that Hairston and his 140 games played over 2 seasons is to great, IMO.

OEO Magglio
01-29-2005, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't say that Hairston and his 140 games played over 2 seasons is to great, IMO.
No, I meant about the cubs lacking power.

RKMeibalane
01-29-2005, 05:38 PM
No, I meant about the cubs lacking power.

Agreed. They have more than enough players capable of hitting the ball out of the park on a regular basis.

santo=dorf
01-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Aramis Ramirez has become the new King of the "Bozo bucket homerun," and what ever happened to DLee being a 40 home run guy because the alleys are not as far as pro player stadium? (At least I remember the radio shoving that statement down my throat last offseason.) :rolleyes:

RKMeibalane
01-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Aramis Ramirez has become the new King of the "Bozo bucket homerun," and what ever happened to DLee being a 40 home run guy because the alleys are not as far as pro player stadium? (At least I remember the radio shoving that statement down my throat last offseason.) :rolleyes:

Lee hitting forty home runs isn't going to happen. He's a good hitter, but his swing is greared more towards hitting balls into the gap than it is hitting them into the seats. Swinging for the fences isn't his game. As usual, Cubs fans can't understand this.

DrCrawdad
01-29-2005, 06:08 PM

What don't you understand? Ramirez and Lee are 40 HR guys......according to Mike Murphy and Bruce LeVineLine. Don't let their actual stats mislead you...

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 07:38 PM
If you want to bash Ramirez because he is a cub, fine. However, Ramirez is easily one of the top 3rd sackers in the game. The guy can hit.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-29-2005, 07:40 PM
I think Ramirez bashers are criticizing his lack of consistency through his (short) career so far, although he's been pretty good since joining the sCrUBS.

santo=dorf
01-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Another thing that drives me nuts is when Murph (and other flub fans) talk(s) about Pods' .313 OBP in a down season last year, and question the Sox for using him as a leadoff man. In 2004 Corey Patterson had a .320 OBP and a .317 OBP when leading off.

Soxzilla
01-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Fair enough. Since you have a theory, here's one that works even better. If your post has something to do with any of these topics:

Sammy Sosa,
Magglio Ordonez,
Scott Boras, or
the Chicago Cubs,

do the moderators a favor and post it in here. They'll all wind up in here anyway whether you meant them to or not. Furthermore you'll be doing the moderating staff a huge favor, saving us the drudgery of tidying up the mess you're creating.

Touche.:cool:

Granted, I don't normally care about any of the fellas you listed, I just figured that since I didn't see a thread in talking baseball about the trade, I would post one ... little did I know this whole great speculation forum existed. But life at WSI as a learning experience, and I suppose I learned something yesterday:).

Brian26
01-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Bruce LeVineLine

This is without a doubt the BEST nickname I've ever heard. That's just awesome.

Viva Medias B's
01-29-2005, 09:33 PM
"It has been my lifelong dream to be a Cub─"

If you read QT in the Sun-Times, you know that it would say:

"Oh, be quiet."

Clement's beard
01-29-2005, 09:51 PM
"It has been my lifelong dream to be a Cub─"

If you read QT in the Sun-Times, you know that it would say:

"Oh, be quiet."

Ummmm, who photo shopped this picture of Maggs?

Viva Medias B's
01-29-2005, 10:16 PM

It appeared earlier in this thread. It's on a Cub fan board.

DrCrawdad
01-29-2005, 11:46 PM
This is without a doubt the BEST nickname I've ever heard. That's just awesome.

I'd like to lay claim to it, but it seems that someone else posted it here first.

Jerome
01-29-2005, 11:55 PM
I think Ramirez bashers are criticizing his lack of consistency through his (short) career so far, although he's been pretty good since joining the sCrUBS.

I think the Ramirez bashers are criticizing his lack being on another team besides the Cubs. Just because he's on the team we all hate doesn't hide the fact that he's now one of baseball's elite 3Bs. He had that one good year on the Pirates but has been great on the Scrubs.

wsbaseball9
01-30-2005, 12:24 AM

carl crawford is good i give him respect for what he did to the sox last year, hes a good fielder and a good leadoff man

StillMissOzzie
01-30-2005, 01:42 AM
The one thing that never ceases to amaze me is the abrupt 180 degree turnaround by sCrUB fans on Sosa. While I one hand I applaud their astute observations, like his lame defense, his propensity to whiff, the corked bat, the alleged steroid use, the false hustle... I could go on, but this is stuff White Sox fans have been saying for years now. On the other hand, look how quick they are to throw their former hero under the bus when things aren't looking so good.

Also complicit in this indictment is the local news media, including but certainly not limited to, the smear campaign led by the Cubune. It's amazing how the local TV channels, when talking about the trade, manage to dredge up video of Sosa whiffing, bobbling balls in the outfield, the shattered cork bat,... but manage to avoid any of his noteworthy accomplishments.

So Sammy will dump his option that guarantees his 2006 salary to facilitate this deal, making 2005 a true salary drive year. While part of me wants to see his steroid-withdrawn butt fail miserably, part of me would like to see him have a monster year just to show the sCrUBS what they could have had.

SMO
:gulp:

StillMissOzzie
01-30-2005, 01:43 AM
and another thing...

:tomatoaward :tomatoaward

Cubbiesuck13
01-30-2005, 03:04 AM
SMO, I was thinking the same thing. You should hear how funny the flubbie faithfull's jokes are now! However, I don't wish ShaME any luck in the future. I can't stand him for so many things, being on the Flubbies was just another reason. He hasn't gotten rid of his other things that I hate so much about him.

Scary thought: after reading the latest cubune article bashing ShaME, the O's but carefull to protect the Flubbies, I started to think what if ShaME fails his physical and the trade is null? Then he will be in everyones good graces again because his numbers were off because he had some rare medical condition that wasn't all ready known about that prohibitted him from being the true ShaME.

RKMeibalane
01-30-2005, 08:39 AM

It could be worse. Imagine Frank in a Cubs uniform.

:chunks

Hitmen77
01-30-2005, 08:48 AM
I don't know if anyone has said it yet, but if this deal goes thru, I'm waiting for the stories in the Cubune about how Naperville native Hairston has always been a Cubs fan and playing for the Cubs is his dream come true.

Or, maybe even the Cubune won't be able to stretch the truth this time since Hairston's dad has been in the Sox organization forever.

johnny bench
01-30-2005, 10:30 AM

Despite the best efforts of their moronic GM Omar Minaya, the Mets backed off Sosa partially because of the horrible backlash it was causing with their fans, all of whom were outraged by the possibility of trading for that clown. Have the Orioles checked the pulse of their fans concerning this move? I'm sure the fans are against it. Ridiculous.

I think that the Orioles don't trade for Sosa without a second team in the same city competing for the same media and fan base.

Love Sammy, Hate Sammy, it's all the same: you are still talking about Sammy, you are buying newspapers to read about Sammy, you are listening to sports talk about Sammy, you might even waste your time on a Sunday morning to post about Sammy.

The bottom line is that the guy who comes to the park to boo Sammy spends the same amount for a seat as the guy who comes to cheer him. Angelos is dumb like a fox. Sammy as an Oriole helps to launch the Washington Nationals as the 'small market' team in the Baltimore Washington area and maintain the Orioles position as top dog.

Maintaining that market positioning is worth a fortune to the Orioles.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2005, 10:44 AM
I think that the Orioles don't trade for Sosa without a second team in the same city competing for the same media and fan base.

Love Sammy, Hate Sammy, it's all the same: you are still talking about Sammy, you are buying newspapers to read about Sammy, you are listening to sports talk about Sammy, you might even waste your time on a Sunday morning to post about Sammy.

The bottom line is that the guy who comes to the park to boo Sammy spends the same amount for a seat as the guy who comes to cheer him. Angelos is dumb like a fox. Sammy as an Oriole helps to launch the Washington Nationals as the 'small market' team in the Baltimore Washington area and maintain the Orioles position as top dog.

Maintaining that market positioning is worth a fortune to the Orioles.Look at the Orioles' message boards. They LIKE the idea. They're buying into the PR bit hook, line and sinker. Time for a poll on how long it takes for Orioles' fans to start booing him?

mjharrison72
01-30-2005, 10:50 AM

Maintaining that market positioning is worth a fortune to the Orioles.First, Baltimore is 40 miles away from DC. Just so that's straight.
Second, though, you're probably about 80 percent right this has everything to do with marketing and creating a splash (remember, the Nationals were interested in Sosa, too) and not much to do with any sort of sensible logic. The O's pitching coach has said he'll do OK if they get 8 runs of support every game... like So-so is going to add three runs himself. I agree their batting lineup will look pretty formidable with Mora, Tejada, Sosa, Palmiero and Lopez, but look at their pitching staff. Swingin' Sidney Ponson is their Ace? The only guy I would consider taking from that whole starting staff is Daniel Cabrera, and that would be just because I have a hunch he'll turn into a decent starter. And Jorge Julio is one of the shakier closers in the league, IMO.
Just like last year, the O's are going to lose games 10-8 or 5-1 all the time... they are susceptible to power outages and have some of the worst pitching in the league. I will likely go to the same number of games next season, becuase Sosa's just not that much of a draw for me, and I'm infinitely more excited about having a team in DC for the first time in decades.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Love Sammy, Hate Sammy, it's all the same: you are still talking about Sammy, you are buying newspapers to read about Sammy, ... blah blah blah...

Speak for yourself, bench. I spent less than 2 minutes with my Cubune sports section today and didn't bother to read even one column-inch of their wall-to-wall coverage of a trade that hasn't even happened yet. 18 pages worth of sports and I read none of it.

I agree some posters here obsess over Sammy the fraud (and Magglio the gimp, and Boras the crook), but these same people -- including you -- haven't quite figured out that this message board wasn't created to accommodate your obsession, but more for the rest of us to avoid you or otherwise snicker at you who post here over and over again about your obsession.

Enjoy yourself... just keep it all right here.

Ol' No. 2
01-30-2005, 10:52 AM
The O's pitching coach has said he'll do OK if they get 8 runs of support every game...:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rollin g:

mjharrison72
01-30-2005, 10:58 AM
"Maybe I'm putting my foot in my mouth," Orioles pitching coach Ray Miller said Saturday, "but if you give me eight runs a game, I'll figure out the rest."

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/10771589.htm

GoSox2K3
01-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Speak for yourself, bench. I spent less than 2 minutes with my Cubune sports section today and didn't bother to read even one column-inch of their wall-to-wall coverage of a trade that hasn't even happened yet. 18 pages worth of sports and I read none of it.

I agree some posters here obsess over Sammy the fraud (and Magglio the gimp, and Boras the crook), but these same people -- including you -- haven't quite figured out that this message board wasn't created to accommodate your obsession, but more for the rest of us to avoid you or otherwise snicker at you who post here over and over again about your obsession.

Enjoy yourself... just keep it all right here.

I'm not sure why you are getting all bent out of shape about Sosa or Maggs discussions on this site. You have limited them to the "What's the Score" page to keep it separate about discussions regarding the current Sox team. Isn't that enough? Now, we can't even talk about Sosa or Maggs on this page?

I agree with keeping this apart from the main clubhouse discussions, but I'm not sure why we have to bury our heads in the sands and pretend this isn't a big deal or of interest to Sox fans. For better or worse, the overhyping of the Cubs and Sosa does affect the Sox ability to get decent coverage in this town and is something that has made us all puke over the last decade. I don't see anything wrong with us Sox fans pointing out the absurdity of these daily Tribune headlines about the Cubs going after Maggs and how self-serving it is (is any other media organization other than the Trib making such big claims about Maggs going to the Cubs?). And as Sox fans we can't help but point out that we aren't stupid like Cub fans and have known the truth about former Sox Sosa all along.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure why you are getting all bent out of shape about Sosa or Maggs discussions on this site. ....

Are you kidding me? It's all good... leave it right here. The only thing I object to is all the work sweeping all the misplaced posts out of the other forums and into the appropriate threads. That's work... completely avoidable... if the obsessed could only engage their brains and follow directions.

Wsoxmike59
01-30-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm just amazed Hendry found some team dumb enough to take on that ass-clown! :?: <----very confused!

Paulwny
01-30-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm just amazed Hendry found some team dumb enough to take on that ass-clown! :?: <----very confused!

Oriole fans were upset about the lack of fa signings
Delgado to the Marlins forced the orioles to do something
Even though Sosa was out a month his 35 hr's were more than any Oriole hit last season.
The price was right.

JUribe1989
01-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Wow, Jerry Hairston Jr. just wow. Watch out third place in the NL Central here come the Cubs...again!:bandance: Even if they get Burnitz, two years ago some people hadn't even heard of half of their projected lineup.

SOXSINCE'70
01-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Sham-me still sucks.He'll continue to suck as a baseball
player the rest of his (alleged) steroid laden career.:angry: :angry:

I hate him more now than ever.Can't wait for the
Birds to invade Sox Park.Sham-me may set a new
record for most whiffs in a 4 game series(May 12-15,
IIRC).:D: :D: :D: :D:

StillMissOzzie
01-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Look at the Orioles' message boards. They LIKE the idea. They're buying into the PR bit hook, line and sinker. Time for a poll on how long it takes for Orioles' fans to start booing him?

Funny you should mention this, #2. I did see a quote from one Oriole fan (per SI.com, IIRC) that cracked me up. I'm paraphrasing here, but it went something like this: "Last year, Sosa walked out on his team for the last game of the year when they were out of it. The Orioles are gonna be out of it by June. What's he gonna do then?" It's not 100% Sammy love in Baltimore.

SMO

Viva Medias B's
01-30-2005, 08:40 PM
I am not sure if anyone posted this, but remember when Hairston Jr. was with the Orioles and had a fit after Bartolo Colon hit him? During the game, an Oriole pitcher plunked one of our guys (forgot the names involved) in the later innings, and warnings were issued. Meanwhile, Colon was on pace to pitch a complete game. During the ninth inning, despite the warnings, he plunked Hairston and got ejected. Harison threw a fit and the benches emptied.

bobj4400
01-30-2005, 08:47 PM

I thought the same exact thing! VanDyck would never have written that statement 2 years ago. The Flub media is SO transparent.

santo=dorf
01-30-2005, 08:48 PM
I am not sure if anyone posted this, but remember when Hairston Jr. was with the Orioles and had a fit after Bartolo Colon hit him? During the game, an Oriole pitcher plunked one of our guys (forgot the names involved) in the later innings, and warnings were issued. Meanwhile, Colon was on pace to pitch a complete game. During the ninth inning, despite the warnings, he plunked Hairston and got ejected. Harison threw a fit and the benches emptied.

I forgot about that.
Hairston kept whining "why?" "why?" after getting beaned. Hawk was so pissed because the O's drilled Maggs, and Hawk felt because Hairston's family was involved with baseball for so long, he should've understand what was going on.

SpammySosa
01-30-2005, 09:43 PM

:ralomar:
"Don't forget about me!"

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2005, 09:35 AM
From today's Cubune:

The trade of Sammy Sosa—of historic importance and proportions—could be official by Wednesday if several hurdles are cleared.

Historic importance and proportions. Nice to see they're focussing on the real important issues and not trivia like war, famine and unemployment. Jeez Louise.:rolleyes:

Johnny Mostil
01-31-2005, 10:31 AM
From today's Cubune:

Historic importance and proportions. Nice to see they're focussing on the real important issues and not trivia like war, famine and unemployment. Jeez Louise.:rolleyes:

Even within baseball, "historic importance and proportions" seems overblown. Then again, Ruth, Brock, Frank Robinson, Morgan, Hornsby, nor Alex Rodriguez ever played for Tribune Co., did they?

Flight #24
01-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Maybe it's roadhouse material rather than "Whats the Score", but I'll put it here because this seems to be the Sosa clearinghouse. For those who haven't seen it, Barry Rozner wrote IMO a great article on Sosa, the Chubs org, and Chicago media treatment of both over the weekend. For the record, he's been very consistent in his discussion of these 3 topics and is the only one among Chicago media that has been consistent and balanced in his writing on this subject.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozner.asp?intID=38382170

PaleHoseGeorge
01-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Maybe it's roadhouse material rather than "Whats the Score", but I'll put it here because this seems to be the Sosa clearinghouse. For those who haven't seen it, Barry Rozner wrote IMO a great article on Sosa, the Chubs org, and Chicago media treatment of both over the weekend. For the record, he's been very consistent in his discussion of these 3 topics and is the only one among Chicago media that has been consistent and balanced in his writing on this subject.

Great column. Thanks for the link. Rozner has always been far more skeptical of Scammy and the Flubs' fawning over Scammy than practically anyone else in the community of Chicago sports mediots.

This column is 180 degrees opposite of ANYTHING the Cubune's objective corps of sports reporting idiots has written about Scammy and the Flubs. Funny how the Cubune's wall-to-wall coverage of this pending trade hasn't managed to fit in a single paragraph questioning either the Flubs or Scammy for their role in perpetrating these myths and lies the past six years.

Funny indeed.

Shall we blame the giant snails again, Lip?

:giantsnails

Iwritecode
01-31-2005, 12:23 PM
This deal wouldn't be approved for most players, but the commissioner wants so badly to resurrect Sosa's career and - most important - his image, that Bud Selig will rubber stamp it first chance he gets.

I was wondering about this. I read something about Sosa voiding his contract for 2006 if the trade takes place.

Isn't that almost the exact same reason A-rod never went to Boston???

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2005, 12:28 PM
I was wondering about this. I read something about Sosa voiding his contract for 2006 if the trade takes place.

Isn't that almost the exact same reason A-rod never went to Boston???The difference is that Sosa was not guaranteed more than the $4M (?) buyout in 2006. It was to become guaranteed in the event he was traded, but there's not way he could have been traded with that stone around his neck. The logic is, without the trade he wouldn't have gotten that money anyway. So far the union has been mum on the subject. It's possible we could be in for a surprise, but I'd bet that the union will go along.

santo=dorf
01-31-2005, 12:28 PM
When does the Cubune plan on reporting this?

A motivated, liberated Sosa would seem a good bet to rebound, at least for one season. But unless Sosa regains his inherent Sammy-ness, questions will linger. Talk has persisted all winter that Sosa is notably slimmer — "He has lost at least 35 pounds," says one scout who bumped into Sosa in the Dominican. "I hardly recognized him." Sosa's associates scoff at talk of the Incredible Shrinking Sammy. Truth is, he probably could stand to lose a few pounds, anyway.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3362128

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2005, 12:29 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3362128Must be on the Giambi diet.

Flight #24
01-31-2005, 12:31 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3362128

I can guarantee you that the Trib will have plenty of articles if Sammy shows up noticeably smaller comparing him to Giambi's reduction in 2004. They'll also note how he bulked up in the mid-late 90s. They'll be able to refer back to all those articles they wrote about his ballooning physique back when it happened.

Of course, if the deal falls through, there will be all kinds of stories about how "Sammy's lost weight and is now in the best shape of his career as he attempts to show everyone that he's still a superstar - what a guy!"

MRKARNO
01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Anybody else see the Sosa picture when he was with the White Sox on the MLB.com homepage?

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
I can guarantee you that the Trib will have plenty of articles if Sammy shows up noticeably smaller comparing him to Giambi's reduction in 2004. They'll also note how he bulked up in the mid-late 90s. They'll be able to refer back to all those articles they wrote about his ballooning physique back when it happened.

Of course, if the deal falls through, there will be all kinds of stories about how "Sammy's lost weight and is now in the best shape of his career as he attempts to show everyone that he's still a superstar - what a guy!"Trouble is, they're on the horns of a dilemma. If they accuse Sammy of having been on steroids, how can they square that with their being oblivious to this obvious fact when it was happening.

santo=dorf
01-31-2005, 12:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photos_from_the_field/2004/02/26/sluggers/sosacombo.jpg

On the right is Sammy Sosa, and on the left is Willie Harris wearing a Sox throwback jersey at Old Comiskey?!?!?! Wait a minute......

Flight #24
01-31-2005, 12:41 PM
Trouble is, they're on the horns of a dilemma. If they accuse Sammy of having been on steroids, how can they square that with their being oblivious to this obvious fact when it was happening.

Easy. They just won't mention it. Just like how I bet if you go back to the Trib archives you'll find articles about how Sammy's not a bad teammate, how he's a leader because of his work ethic and all-out play, etc....but that doesn't prevent them from basically calling him the worst teammate in the history of baseball now. Note how you're starting to see columns peppered with "he's 36, but some say 2 years older"....you think that rumor is only coming out now? It's the first the Trib's ever said about it.

They'll rely on the sheep not adding any individual thought and just swallowing their commentary - and I bet they'll be right.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Trouble is, they're on the horns of a dilemma. If they accuse Sammy of having been on steroids, how can they square that with their being oblivious to this obvious fact when it was happening.

No. 2, never underestimate how objective the Cubune's crack corps of sports reporting idiots can be! They're the best in the biz!

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2005, 12:51 PM
No. 2, never underestimate how objective the Cubune's crack corps of sports reporting idiots can be! They're the best in the biz!
:cool:Maybe I am giving them too much credit. I just thought it would be a stretch even by their standards. They'd have to realize how stupid it would make them look. Which is not to say I'd be shocked if they did it anyway.:rolleyes:

gosox41
01-31-2005, 12:51 PM
This was written 1/30. Interesting article, especially how he rips the media:

Bob

Flight #24
01-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Maybe I am giving them too much credit. I just thought it would be a stretch even by their standards. They'd have to realize how stupid it would make them look. Which is not to say I'd be shocked if they did it anyway.:rolleyes:
I'm still waiting for the numerous discussions about how they need to rid themselves of clubhouse cancer Kyle Farnsworth.....didn't he leave early too? The horror!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
01-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Maybe I am giving them too much credit. I just thought it would be a stretch even by their standards. They'd have to realize how stupid it would make them look. Which is not to say I'd be shocked if they did it anyway.:rolleyes:

Yes, true true true. Unfortunately who is going to call them on it? Anybody who tries will be damned lucky if so much as 3 sentences of their letter to the editor gets published in the Saturday edition... the one with no circulation, don'tcha know.

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Yes, true true true. Unfortunately who is going to call them on it? Anybody who tries will be damned lucky if so much as 3 sentences of their letter to the editor gets published in the Saturday edition... the one with no circulation, don'tcha know.
:cool:Maybe. But I'm betting any stories on The Incredible Shrinking Sammy will be relegated to page 4 by the fold. Even if no one calls them on it, they're bound to realize it makes them look like chumps.

fledgedrallycap
01-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Pretty much my sentiments on the whole situation...well done.

StillMissOzzie
01-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Rozner was on the NBC-5 sports show after the 10:00PM news, and was saying much of the same, although not quite in the strident tone used here in the print version. Interesting that he's used practically the same "Frankenstein eating the villagers" quote that Steve Stone did a few months ago.

He did say on TV that the Sammy you knew and loved that you saw on TV was a fraud, a monster created by sCrUB PR and his agent. He said eyebrows were raised in the clubhouse when he came in for ST in '97, '98, '99 more and more bulked up, (obviously from extensive weight training in the Dominican Republic), but he wouldn't come right out and say Sosa was on the juice. He certainly implied (at least to MY ears) that sCrUB brass turned a blind eye because they were getting the hero and publicity they wanted.

Everything supporting my opinion that the sCrUBS led the smear campaign to run him out on a rail. Part of me thinks that Sosa made his bed (with the sCrUB cockroaches) and should sleep in it, but part of me also thinks that no people should be treated this way.

SMO

PaleHoseGeorge
01-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Maybe. But I'm betting any stories on The Incredible Shrinking Sammy will be relegated to page 4 by the fold. Even if no one calls them on it, they're bound to realize it makes them look like chumps.

Oh, no doubt they'll bury anything that makes them look like fools. And don't forget they have other means to fill column-inches, too.

:giantsnail
"Wrigley murders, Falling Urinal concrete, Sammy Steroids,... it's all delicious and filling, too!"

spawn
01-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Mistake...

spawn
01-31-2005, 01:22 PM
This was written 1/30. Interesting article, especially how he rips the media:

Bob

Good article. It amazes my how the Cub fans all of a sudden turned their backs on him. I've been telling Cub fans for years that Sosa was an egomaniac, but they brushed it off, saying I was a hater because Sosa was no longer in a Sox uniform. All of his arrogance was ignored by the media and Cub fans. Because of the collapse last year, they had to find a scapegoat to make everyone forget that Dusty couldn't control his club. It kinda makes me feel bad for him, but not really.:tongue:

On a side note, I was reading the Trib (I still don't know why!), 4 writers were offering their insight on Sosa. Of the 4, only one didn't seem like he'd miss him IMO:

Teddy Greenstein
A taste of Sosa's wrath

It was the 2000 Wrigley Field home opener, and I was about to get my first taste of Sammy Sosa's wrath.

Thirty minutes or so after an absurd Cubs victory—trailing 3-0 in the ninth, they rallied to beat the Braves—I spotted Sosa at his locker and went over to chat about the game.

Everyone was in good spirits, so I didn't hesitate to joke with Sosa that the official scorer had been kind in giving him a single on his fourth-inning grounder off Walt Weiss' glove.

"You don't think that was a hit?" Sosa asked.

I looked at him quizzically. Of course I didn't.

"You the official scorer, now, buddy?"

I thought he was joking, so I played along. Yeah, I told him. I report on the games and I decide what's an error.

"You want to take a hit away from me?"

"Sammy, I'm just kidding."

"I have no words for you," he replied, walking away.

It would get worse a few weeks later, when I pointed out in a story that Cubs batters were on pace for a franchise-record 1,223 strikeouts.

The headline read: "They're the kings of K's," and one of the accompanying photos showed Sosa whiffing.

"Nice article," he said, calling me a name not fit for a family newspaper, as he passed me in the dugout.

Later that day Sosa's buddy, Glenallen Hill, approached me to ask, "Why are you upsetting the big guy?"

Sosa and I eventually made up, but suffice it to say, he was never a big fan of my work. Sosa's favorite writer would kneel at his locker while interviewing him. It came to be known as the "genuflect position."

Bottom line, Sosa was a superstar who demanded to be treated like one. He wanted all the perks—a manager who never drops you in the lineup, teammates who fear crossing you, a guy to carry your boom box from one clubhouse to another, writers who praise your defense after an 0-for-5 day.

And now he has been granted a final wish: a one-way ticket out of town.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...-cubs-headlines (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-050130cubsrowcenter,1,7041440.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

Baby Fisk
01-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Holy Cats! Even ESPN hates Sammy Sosa now!

Breaking ESPN news: Sosa a hypocrite and liar (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=1979666)

This sudden piling on of anti-Sosa invective becomes more and more hilarious with each column. The hypocrisy is running rampant! :cool:

spawn
01-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Holy Cats! Even ESPN hates Sammy Sosa now!

Breaking ESPN news: Sosa a hypocrite and liar (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=1979666)

This sudden piling on of anti-Sosa invective becomes more and more hilarious with each column. The hypocrisy is running rampant! :cool:
Wow! How the mighty have fallen...Where was all this negativity when Sammy was a cult hero? He didn't change overnight...

SOXintheBURGH
01-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Wow! How the mighty have fallen...Where was all this negativity when Sammy was a cult hero? He didn't change overnight...

We SOX fans have known Sosa is a son of a bitch for years, and now the nation is finding out too. Just like we SOX fans know we'll win the AL Cenral this year, and soon the nation will find out.

bobj4400
01-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Just heard this unbelievable statement on MJH:

Harry: Hairston will leadoff and play left field. I think getting a guy with a .400 to .425 obp to leadoff is awesome.

WHAT!?!?!? These Cubs fans are unbelievable. Hairston gets traded here and all of a sudden he is Rickey Henderson...

Fenway
01-31-2005, 03:51 PM
people forget that he signed with Boston during the strike in 94-95 but the contract was voided

During the strike, Sosa supposedly agreed to a free agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_agent) contract with the Boston Red Sox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Red_Sox), but Major League Baseball decided not to allow any contract negotiations between players and teams during the strike. By the time the strike had been settled, Sosa had a change of heart and decided to stay with the Cubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Sosa

Hangar18
01-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Isnt it indeed funny how FICKLE the Chicago and National Media is?
theyve turned on Sammy because they didnt make the world series.
I hate the Chicago media