PDA

View Full Version : Vizquel or Iguchi?

A. Cavatica
01-28-2005, 08:54 PM
We nearly signed Omar Vizquel for more money than we're spending on Iguchi. Are you happy to have ended up with Iguchi, or would you have preferred Vizquel?

SOXintheBURGH
01-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Give me the Gooch!

NSSoxFan
01-28-2005, 08:56 PM
We nearly signed Omar Vizquel for more money than we're spending on Iguchi. Are you happy to have ended up with Iguchi, or would you have preferred Vizquel?

I hope I'm not in the minority here when I say that I am VERY happy that we ended up the way we did. If we had signed Vizquel, Uribe would have shifted to 2B, a position I don't like him at. Also, the age issue is obvious.

Palehose13
01-28-2005, 08:59 PM
I hope I'm not in the minority here when I say that I am VERY happy that we ended up the way we did. If we had signed Vizquel, Uribe would have shifted to 2B, a position I don't like him at. Also, the age issue is obvious.

Agreed. A note on the age thing, there is a possibility that if Iguchi can succeed at the MLB level then he will be with the Sox for awhile. What would we have gotten out of Vizquel? One, maybe two years?

MRKARNO
01-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Iguchi by a mile. He has more power than Vizquel, is younger and probably will get on base more as well. Vizqel's defense might start to decline over the next two or three years as well, while Iguchi still should be playing at a high level. Iguchi also might be able to get more steals than Vizquel. Better on all fronts.

SABRSox
01-28-2005, 09:22 PM
The difference in money is huge... upwards of $7mil. I think Iguchi is a higher risk than Vizquel, as he's unproven in MLB, but I'd much rather take his risk at $5mil than risk Vizquel breaking down at $12mil. Also, I doubt El Duque and Pierzynski would have happened is Vizquel was signed, possibly the Carlos Lee trade wouldn't have happened either.

I'll take this offseason anyday over one in which Vizquel was signed.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-28-2005, 09:46 PM
The difference in money is huge... upwards of $7mil. I think Iguchi is a higher risk than Vizquel, as he's unproven in MLB, but I'd much rather take his risk at $5mil than risk Vizquel breaking down at $12mil. Also, I doubt El Duque and Pierzynski would have happened is Vizquel was signed, possibly the Carlos Lee trade wouldn't have happened either.

I'll take this offseason anyday over one in which Vizquel was signed.

I agree with you completely! And aside from all that you mentioned, I can't imagine a Vizquel signing generating the kind of excitement among fans that bringing over Iguchi has. I was already more excited about this offseason than any I can remember. Now I'm going out of my mind waiting for Opening Day!

DaveIsHere
01-28-2005, 09:57 PM
I can hear my mom saying, "Everything happens for a reason," at this point. I think thing pretty much fell into place, KW retooled the team in the offseason and I hope the all gel and make this our year(s):D:

hose
01-28-2005, 10:02 PM
I would rather have Vizquel only because I know what the Sox would be getting, I've never seen Iguchi play.

bafiarocks03
01-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Willie Harris!!!:d:

Mickster
01-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Willie Harris!!!:d:

Do I smell a someone about to change their handle?

mackenzierocks05????

:D:

HomeFish
01-28-2005, 10:37 PM
I'd rather have both.

To be honest, however, chosing between the two is not a decision I would want to be faced with. Iguchi offers so much more potential, but Vizquel offers so much more established ability.

MRKARNO
01-28-2005, 10:38 PM
I'd rather have both.

Over Uribe?

ondafarm
Iguchi.

He'll start out a little slower though.

HomeFish
Over Uribe?

Vizquel over Uribe any day. Vizquel has a long track record of success, whereas Uribe is coming off a career year.

Soxzilla
01-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Vizquel over Uribe any day. Vizquel has a long track record of success, whereas Uribe is coming off a career year.

He's also gained a track record for being incredibly mediocre the past several seasons.

Or you could use inconsistent. But I'm sure you've already reserved that term for Uribe.

MRKARNO
01-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Vizquel is on the downslope of his career while Uribe is on the upslope. Vizquel can go nowhere but down, and Uribe, at 24, can go up a lot still.

Soxzilla
01-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Vizquel is on the downslope of his career while Uribe is on the upslope. Vizquel can go nowhere but down, and Uribe, at 24, can go up a lot still.

Not to mention he costs 4 million more a year! And you're stuck with him for 3 years!

Um sorry, NEXT.

kaufsox
01-28-2005, 11:11 PM
He's also gained a track record for being incredibly mediocre the past several seasons.

Or you could use inconsistent. But I'm sure you've already reserved that term for Uribe.

I wouldn't say he has been mediocre the past several seasons. He only had 11 errors last year, the most he has had since 1999. compared to the Sox at SS with 25. Also he batted .291 last year, better than all of the Sox SS options from last year. While Vizquel might not be what he once was, incredibly mediocre is not accurate. Vizquel, Gooch, Uribe on the bench would have looked very good. I don't care if the Sox save money, I don't cheer for saving money, unless it is my own.

jerry myers
01-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Gucci is younger. I like him

ja1022
01-29-2005, 02:12 PM
The question was Vizquel or Iguchi. I see more upside potential in Iguchi and I think Vizquel will end up becoming Robbie Alomar with a better attitude.