PDA

View Full Version : Jason Grilli designated for assignment

Jjav829
01-28-2005, 03:37 PM
For those wondering how we would make room for Iguchi, here it is.

White Sox designated RHP Jason Grilli for assignment.
The White Sox talked up Grilli during the latter portion of the season, but he doesn't belong on the 40-man roster. He'll likely clear waivers and be invited to compete for a job as a non-roster player.

Kind of surprising. Apparently the Sox must think that other teams don't think as highly of Grilli as they supposedly did.

mweflen
01-28-2005, 03:39 PM
where is this quote from?

Jjav829
01-28-2005, 03:39 PM
where is this quote from?

Rotoworld.

maurice
01-28-2005, 03:40 PM
official release (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20050128&content_id=936478&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp)

santo=dorf
01-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Also from rotoworld:

Twins signed outfielder Armando Rios to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

S-T-E-R-O-I-D-S!!!

Tekijawa
01-28-2005, 03:46 PM
From really liking him as our 5th starter to, BYE BYE... wow!

I thought he was a Rule 5 guy??? Don't the Fish get him back? then again they'd have to buy him back and they'd probably have to ask Delgado for a loan to do that!

Palehose13
01-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Also from rotoworld:

S-T-E-R-O-I-D-S!!!

:o:

So, let me see if I have this right. We take their castoff (AJ) and they pick up one of ours?
:duel:
Great move for the twinkies.

Ol' No. 2
01-28-2005, 03:49 PM
From really liking him as our 5th starter to, BYE BYE... wow!

I thought he was a Rule 5 guy??? Don't the Fish get him back? then again they'd have to buy him back and they'd probably have to ask Delgado for a loan to do that!According to the Rule 5 umm... rules, the Sox were supposed to keep him on the major league roster all season last year or give him back. The Fish apparently didn't want him back, so they worked out a deal at the end of ST. I don't know what it was.

chaz171
01-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Grilli, 28, went 2-3 with a 7.40 ERA (37 ER/45.0 IP) and one complete game in eight starts with the White Sox in 2004 and 9-9 with a 4.83 ERA (82 ER/152.2 IP) and two complete games in 25 starts with Class AAA Charlotte.

As it has been stated before, we know what he is capable of....(aka he stinks)

Look at it this way, Girli wasn't cracking this roster.....

SP
Buhrle
Garcia
Contreras
Hernandez
Garland

RP
Takatsu
Hermanson
Politte
Marte
Viscaino
Cotts
Adkins

C
Davis
Pierzynski

IF
Konerko
Iguchi
Uribe
Crede

Harris
Valdez
Thomas

OF
Dye
Pods
Rowand

Perez
Gload
Everett

27 players right now........

Who gets cut?

Adkins? Harris? Gload? If Thomas opens the Season on the DL, we only have to lose one for now......

Tekijawa
01-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Who gets cut?

Adkins? Harris? Gload? If Thomas opens the Season on the DL, we only have to lose one for now......

I'd cut Rowand, because he runs rad routes, and Pierzynski because he's a cancer in the club house!

Mickster
01-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Who gets cut?

Thomas wil open the season on the Dl and they will chose between one of Cotts or Adkins. What if someone like Kevin Walker has a monster spring? Or Escobar?

chaz171
01-28-2005, 03:55 PM
I'd cut Rowand, because he runs rad routes, and Pierzynski because he's a cancer in the club house!

Also Don't forget Cutting Buhrle, we'll just lose him in Free agency anyway....

chaz171
01-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Thomas wil open the season on the Dl and they will chose between one of Cotts or Adkins. What if someone like Kevin Walker has a monster spring? Or Escobar?

I thought Floyd Youmans was the answer 15 years ago,, I thought he'd have a great spring... well he didn't cause he stunk. just as Walker and Escobar will stink...

Lorenzo gray had a great ST in 1983 and where did he go? right back to AAA

I'd keep Cotts.... if you ship out cotts, you only have 2 lefties on the whole roster....

Mickster
01-28-2005, 04:02 PM
I thought Floyd Youmans was the answer 15 years ago,, I thought he'd have a great spring... well he didn't cause he stunk. just as Walker and Escobar will stink...

I'd keep Cotts.... if you ship out cotts, you only have 2 lefties on the whole roster....

Not that simple. I believe that the Sox have SP aspirations for Cotts but he needs another pitch to be an effective SP. He will not develop one in the majors.

chaz171
01-28-2005, 04:04 PM
I guess it will come down to that,, If they think he's starter material,, they ship him to AAA. if they think he's a long reliever, they will keep him.

If they are serious about winning this year, it don't amount to a hill of dung. he stays if he's one of the best 6 relievers.

Ol' No. 2
01-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Not that simple. I believe that the Sox have SP aspirations for Cotts but he needs another pitch to be an effective SP. He will not develop one in the majors.Why not? Loaiza developed a new pitch in the majors. Others do, too. I think he'll develop as a pitcher a lot better in the bullpen throwing to major league hitters than he will in AAA. At some point you reach the point where you've learned all you can at the minor league level and you need to run with the big dogs.

Mickster
01-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Why not? Loaiza developed a new pitch in the majors. Others do, too. I think he'll develop as a pitcher a lot better in the bullpen throwing to major league hitters than he will in AAA. At some point you reach the point where you've learned all you can at the minor league level and you need to run with the big dogs.

Comparing Loaiza to Cotts is a stretch, imo. Cotts has pitched seventy-somethin' innings in his entire ML career. Loaiza is also a starter and sees many more innings than Cotts will pitching out of the pen. Just my opinion.

Ol' No. 2
01-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Comparing Loaiza to Cotts is a stretch, imo. Cotts has pitched seventy-somethin' innings in his entire ML career. Loaiza is also a starter and sees many more innings than Cotts will pitching out of the pen. Just my opinion.True enough. But the point was I don't think pitching at the major league level necessarily precludes him developing another pitch. And IMO, he'll learn a lot more of the art of pitching while throwing to major league hitters than he would blowing guys away in AAA.

chaz171
01-28-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm sick and tired of all of this build for the future crapola. If Cotts can pitch, Put him in the Sox Pen. if he stinks, Put him in AAA

Let's win now.... I don't want to put off winning untill Neil Cotts Learns a curveball.....

chisoxmike
01-28-2005, 06:14 PM
I thought KW and Ozzie were "very pleased and comfortable" with Grilli.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-28-2005, 06:16 PM
I thought KW and Ozzie were "very pleased and comfortable" with Grilli.

:weewillie
"What it says is, 'They don't have any confidence in you, Jason.'"

:cool:

MRKARNO
01-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Good move. Grilli's awful and Hermanson could do a million times better if needed for a few spot starts or to move into the role for a month or so.

Fredsox
01-28-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm sick and tired of all of this build for the future crapola. If Cotts can pitch, Put him in the Sox Pen. if he stinks, Put him in AAA

Let's win now.... I don't want to put off winning untill Neil Cotts Learns a curveball.....

I nominate you for the post of the season, or at least, of the day.

SoxFan76
01-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Isn't this great? It's actually sort of a mystery who gets sent down. And what about when Frank gets back? Cheese n rice, this is like a real team now. :o:

:)

Lip Man 1
01-28-2005, 08:37 PM
No big loss. He was garbage anyway... and to think some of our White Sox breathren actually defended his 'potential' last season. LOL.

Lip

Brian26
01-28-2005, 08:41 PM

LOL! AWESOME Lorenzo Gray reference! Kudos! I love it.

A. Cavatica
01-28-2005, 08:57 PM
LOL! AWESOME Lorenzo Gray reference! Kudos! I love it.

He might still be able to outhit Crede.

Lip Man 1
01-28-2005, 09:09 PM
But he probably couldn't outcatch him :smile:

Geez if you are going to start talking about Sox minor league busts remember Al Jones? how about Bob Fallon?? or Dave Stegman???

Lip

Brian26
01-29-2005, 10:10 AM

Geez if you are going to start talking about Sox minor league busts remember Al Jones? how about Bob Fallon?? or Dave Stegman???

Lip

Stegman was a great defensive replacement in '83. Seemed like every game the Sox were winning big, LaRussa would put Stegman in CF and move Rudy Law over to left for the 8th and 9th (Or maybe I have that backwards). He'd also bring Squires in to play 1st and, late in the season, Aurelio Rodriguez would play 3b. Can't remember if he moved Vance Law over to SS.

Brian26
01-29-2005, 10:11 AM

Whatever happened to Jones? Seemed like he had an unbelievable fastball (95+), but he sort of fell off the radar around '85 when the Sox picked up Big Bob James.

chaz171
01-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Whatever happened to Jones? Seemed like he had an unbelievable fastball (95+), but he sort of fell off the radar around '85 when the Sox picked up Big Bob James.

Al Jones is a Pitching coach in an Italian Baseball League

http://www.langhiranobaseball.com/centrale.htm

johnny_mostil
01-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Also from rotoworld:

Twins signed outfielder Armando Rios to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training

S-T-E-R-O-I-D-S!!!

Man. Terry Ryan has lost his mind. The Twins are swimming in outfield prospects and they have to sign another washed up failure to compete? This on top of their bizarre middle infielder and catcher signings tells me they're waaaaay too big for their britches.

OurBitchinMinny
01-29-2005, 11:33 PM
:o:

So, let me see if I have this right. We take their castoff (AJ) and they pick up one of ours?
:duel:
Great move for the twinkies.

I wouldnt classify AJ as a cast off. They traded him straight up for joe nathan

johnny_mostil
01-30-2005, 10:33 AM
I wouldnt classify AJ as a cast off. They traded him straight up for joe nathan

Nathan and Boof Bonser and another pitcher.

This is fairly typical of contemporary thought about the trade at the time:

http://www.sethspeaks.net/111703.htm

wilburaga
01-31-2005, 01:57 PM

Lip

Funny you should mention Fallon, Al Jones and Stegman because all had featured roles in the May 8/9, 1984 25 inning victory over the Brewers. Fallon started, giving up one run one one hit in 6+ innings, undoubtedly his best major league effort. Al Jones later contributed 4 shutout innings, probably his best major league outing too. (Same could be said of Juan Agosto with his 7 shutout innings.)

The game might have been over in 23 innings had not Stegman been called out because of coach's interference after going from first to third on a one out single. Hey, if that had happened, Harold Baines wouldn't still have the distinction of hitting a home run in the latest inning (25th). Another note on Stegman in that game - I wonder if any other major leaguer ever entered a game as a pinch runner, then subsequently struck out five times.

W

tacosalbarojas
01-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Funny you should mention Fallon, Al Jones and Stegman because all had featured roles in the May 8/9, 1984 25 inning victory over the Brewers. Fallon started, giving up one run one one hit in 6+ innings, undoubtedly his best major league effort. Al Jones later contributed 4 shutout innings, probably his best major league outing too. (Same could be said of Juan Agosto with his 7 shutout innings.)

The game might have been over in 23 innings had not Stegman been called out because of coach's interference after going from first to third on a one out single. Hey, if that had happened, Harold Baines wouldn't still have the distinction of hitting a home run in the latest inning (25th). Another note on Stegman in that game - I wonder if any other major leaguer ever entered a game as a pinch runner, then subsequently struck out five times.

WWilbur, you know how I feel about Al Jones...he was the (healthy) Corwin Malone of his time. As for Steggy, he besmirched #8 every time he took the field in those space age 80s unis. Good stuff, thanks for taking us in your wayback machine.