PDA

View Full Version : 100 Stolen Bases

S.S. Lumber Yard
01-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Iguchi and Podz together can do it. Does anyone know what are line-up is looking like? Thanks.

Hangar18
01-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Personally, I would CHALLENGE BOTH of them to steal 85 bases EACH.
Theres no reason they cant do it, put their minds to it, make it a goal
to reach base twice in a game and steal twice each ..........

darklord23
01-28-2005, 04:03 PM
if they can steal that many bases this year their will be alot more rbi's going around

chaz171
01-28-2005, 04:09 PM
The Sox set a HR record last season...how about breaking 1901's SB record in 2005?

Tekijawa
01-28-2005, 04:15 PM

And they hired Ozzie instead of Hangar? I think Konerko sould steal 10 this year!

34 Inch Stick
01-29-2005, 11:15 AM
From what I have heard the Sox do not expect Iguichi to steal more than about 25. If SPod can get 75 that would be great. Of course they may strike out 200 times.

Whitesoxtom
01-29-2005, 11:32 AM
And they hired Ozzie instead of Hangar? I think Konerko sould steal 10 this year!

Hey, it's the speed and defense era, you might see 15-20 stolen bases from Konerko!

soxwon
01-29-2005, 11:34 AM
BE PREPAIRED- for the GREATEST season in the history of the White Sox.

It is going to be incredible, all the way.
im so psyched for this, not PSYCHO- Psyched!!!!

MRKARNO
01-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I think the team as a whole might steal about 110-120 bases, but if we do, we better be doing it at a better clip than we did last year. At 60%, it's not worth it to steal bases, but at 70%, close to the league average, it makes sense.

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-29-2005, 12:24 PM
I think the team as a whole might steal about 110-120 bases, but if we do, we better be doing it at a better clip than we did last year. At 60%, it's not worth it to steal bases, but at 70%, close to the league average, it makes sense.

hey MRKARNO, that's a preety sweet blog you got in your sig. good job:redneck

jabrch
01-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey, it's the speed and defense era, you might see 15-20 stolen bases from Konerko!

:tealpolice:

This is TEAL. This is just plain hard to read.

jabrch
01-29-2005, 12:28 PM
BE PREPAIED- for the GREATEST season in the history of the White Sox.

It is going to be incredible, all the way.
im so psyched for this, not PSYCHO- Psyched!!!!

I pre-paid....14 games so far.

Ol' No. 2
01-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Let's not get too carried away with stolen bases. Often, the threat of stealing is more effective than actually doing it. You force the pitcher into a slide step, or change his pitch selection or just break his concentration. The hitter winds up with a lot better chances. 100 SB between them would be phenomenal, but not essential. It's the success rate more than the number that matters. Below a certain success rate (I forgot what it is), attempted steals actually hurt your team.

34 Inch Stick
01-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Is this Greg Blache?

Sad
01-31-2005, 11:31 AM
it would help if there was actually a TEAL label in the color-pulldown menu vs. Sea Green, Medium Turquoise, Light Blue etc...

SoxFan76
01-31-2005, 11:37 AM
It does say teal. That is why people get so worked up over it. If you take the extra half second and hold the mouse over the color, it says teal.

Sad
01-31-2005, 11:43 AM
must be Monday... thanks...
not sure how I missed that as I was holding the cursor over the color blocks, but now I won't have to talk to the cops any more...

WhiteSoxFan84
01-31-2005, 12:05 PM
I pre-paid....14 games so far.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!

WhiteSoxFan84
01-31-2005, 12:13 PM

so you're asking them to get around 300 SBs each? hell, if they can get on-base twice a game, that would be amazing on it's own.

Brian26
01-31-2005, 12:50 PM
From what I have heard the Sox do not expect Iguichi to steal more than about 25. If SPod can get 75 that would be great. Of course they may strike out 200 times.

25 from Iguchi would be fine by me. That's a nice little season. If he can get more than 25, then that's just gravy.

WhiteSoxNation
01-31-2005, 10:07 PM

Kinda pushing it there, but if we play never give up ball.....I.E. once a teams up 4+ runs after like 7th they stop running out of courtesy, since we dont rely on the long ball im saying Iguhci 30+ Pods 50+

tacosalbarojas
01-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Iguchi and Podz together can do it. Does anyone know what are line-up is looking like? Thanks.
Did anyone else out there notice at soxfest that sPod gave former SOX 1b coach Dave Nelson a lot of credit for his stolen base total? The same Dave Nelson who aided Rudy Law in his record setting 77 stolen bases in 1983. I hope Scotty has a longer stolen base shelf life than the Lawman did.

SoxFan48
01-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Let's not get too carried away with stolen bases. Often, the threat of stealing is more effective than actually doing it. You force the pitcher into a slide step, or change his pitch selection or just break his concentration. The hitter winds up with a lot better chances. 100 SB between them would be phenomenal, but not essential. It's the success rate more than the number that matters. Below a certain success rate (I forgot what it is), attempted steals actually hurt your team.

Bill James studied stolen bases and conclused that a success rate of less 2/3 hurt the chances of scoring runs.

chisox06
01-31-2005, 11:15 PM
We have an aggressive manager with some guys with some speed, so we will be running A LOT this year. Its going to be an exciting season. I' cant wait!!

Ol' No. 2
01-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Bill James studied stolen bases and conclused that a success rate of less 2/3 hurt the chances of scoring runs.I recall reading that, but I couldn't recall the number. I thought at the time he was being too conservative. I don't think he's accounting for the peripheral effects of the running game, the effect on the pitcher and his pitch selection, the chances the defense will make an error trying to hold the runner, etc. I also think there isn't just one number, but that the number will vary for each team and its unique circumstances.

Mohoney
02-01-2005, 12:19 AM
25 from Iguchi would be fine by me. That's a nice little season. If he can get more than 25, then that's just gravy.

Here's the debate. Iguchi running might take the bat out of Frank's hands once in a while when he gets back. If Iguchi steals 2nd, a pitcher might just as soon either pitch around Frank or a manager might just go ahead and put him on with an IBB.

I would say, early in the game, run like hell in just about any situation with 2nd base open and 1 out for 2 reasons:

1) Try and avoid the double play ball that has killed us the past few years.

2) Get the threat of the stolen base embedded into a pitcher's head, and force mistakes that our 3, 4, and 5 hitters can mash.

Late in the game, though, I would probably be more inclined to give middle of the order hitters like Frank, Dye, Konerko, and Everett a chance to swing the bat and win the game for me.

SouthBendSox
02-06-2005, 10:34 PM
i just dont see how you gyus think this team is gonna score runs...

just one man's opinion i guess

MRKARNO
02-06-2005, 10:53 PM
hey MRKARNO, that's a preety sweet blog you got in your sig. good job:redneck

Thanks! Don't be afraid to leave comments.

TaylorStSox
02-06-2005, 11:39 PM
I recall reading that, but I couldn't recall the number. I thought at the time he was being too conservative. I don't think he's accounting for the peripheral effects of the running game, the effect on the pitcher and his pitch selection, the chances the defense will make an error trying to hold the runner, etc. I also think there isn't just one number, but that the number will vary for each team and its unique circumstances.

None of the Bill James followers take these things into account.

Vestigio
02-07-2005, 12:11 AM
I think that Iggy and Scotty Po will only steal around a combined 75 SB's. There are too many good catchers in the division for both of them to steal 100 SBs

sullythered
02-07-2005, 08:31 AM
i just dont see how you gyus think this team is gonna score runs...

just one man's opinion i guess

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Just because we aren't thumpers anymore, doesn't mean we won't score runs. It is, though, contingent upon Ozzie truly managing the team now. We are no longer an all or nothing power team. We need solind in-game management. If we get that, we'll be just fine.