PDA

View Full Version : White Sox in Boston

Fenway
01-28-2005, 03:37 PM
If any of you are planning on coming to Boston in 2005 to see the White Sox...tomorrow is your chance

BOSTON -- The Red Sox, who had sold out their last 145 regular season home games even before winning the World Series last October, will put 2005 single-game tickets on sale via telephone and the Internet, beginning at 10 a.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 29.
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/ticketing/singlegame.jsp

SOXintheBURGH
01-28-2005, 03:40 PM
You couldn't pay me to go to Wrigley East.. no offense to you, Fenway.

01-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I went last year and thought it was a blast. It's old and creaky like Wrigley, but there fans don't talk on the cell, they watch the game and are into it from the first pitch....NO BEER VENDORS at all you have to leave the seating area. And no smoking, but they let you leave the stadium and go out to Yawnkey Way and smoke out there....its alike abig street party while the game is going on. I plan to go back...scalpers are crazy though...100 bucks for standing room

anewman35
01-28-2005, 04:07 PM
If any of you are planning on coming to Boston in 2005 to see the White Sox...tomorrow is your chance

BOSTON -- The Red Sox, who had sold out their last 145 regular season home games even before winning the World Series last October, will put 2005 single-game tickets on sale via telephone and the Internet, beginning at 10 a.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 29.
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/ticketing/singlegame.jsp

I'm planning on going to the Sunday game (assuming me and my friends can actually get tickets). They're Red Sox fans, alas, but at least my wife and I will be there representing the correct Sox.

SoxFan78
01-28-2005, 04:10 PM
I had a great time when I went last year. Spent all day Saturday down by Fenway. Started the day at Boston Beer Works, then went to some bar across the street on Fenway on Yawkey Way, "whos on first" I think it was called, my girlfriend and I were the only White Sox fans picked on. Some radio station was there, they decided to have a contest, who knew more baseball trivia, A white sox fan or a red sox fan, of course I went up there to support Chicago. We ended up tying, but they gave the grand prize to the Red Sox fan, damn home field advantage.

Left the bar and went onto Yawkey way, what a sight. People everywhere, beer flowing, very nice atmosphere. Fenway Park blows away the urinal in every way. Fans were fine, even though when we were taking pictures, some rude fans decided to flip the bird. But I reccomend to everyone, if you get a chance, see the good guys when they play at Fenway. I got lucky by getting tickets, I got them off of ebay in the bleachers.

cbrownson13
01-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I went last year also and had a great time. I have to say, I can't call it Wrigley East. The only thing they have in common, stadium wise, is they are old. Fenway is beautiful. I went with my friend (Cubs fan) and he admitted he liked it a lot better than Wrigley. I too spent the whole day around Fenway. Went to the Cask n Flagan, and some bar afterwards, can't remember the name. I thought the fans there were good, I got a little razzing, but it was good natured. A Boston fan even wanted to trade me shirts. (I wore my Southside Hitmen shirt with the '83 logo on it) He had some Marines shirt on, definitely not a fair trade.

Alanzo
01-28-2005, 04:19 PM
I can't stand the bandwagon Red Sox fans of my age (21), so I shrudder to think what the real thing is like.

Fenway
01-28-2005, 04:23 PM
The new Amazon search site offers pictures of some of the bars mentioned

http://www.amazon.com/gp/yp/B0005U98IU/104-6573314-7343107

I went last year also and had a great time. I have to say, I can't call it Wrigley East. The only thing they have in common, stadium wise, is they are old. Fenway is beautiful. I went with my friend (Cubs fan) and he admitted he liked it a lot better than Wrigley. I too spent the whole day around Fenway. Went to the Cask n Flagan, and some bar afterwards, can't remember the name. I thought the fans there were good, I got a little razzing, but it was good natured. A Boston fan even wanted to trade me shirts. (I wore my Southside Hitmen shirt with the '83 logo on it) He had some Marines shirt on, definitely not a fair trade.

MUsoxfan
01-28-2005, 04:27 PM
...scalpers are crazy though...100 bucks for standing room

You must have went for the Saturday game that Schilling pitched. I got great seats near the RF foul pole for face at gametime of the Friday game.

Hangar18
01-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Hangar 18 will be making his 1st Ever appearance at Wrigley Field East
when the Correct SOX visit the Red Sox. Its gonna be a blast, and
I look forward to Interacting with some of the Boston faithful. Im due
there that weekend, but may actually go to New York early in the week
also ............

01-28-2005, 04:41 PM
You must have went for the Saturday game that Schilling pitched. I got great seats near the RF foul pole for face at gametime of the Friday game.

I went to Friday nights game, we had tix for that...but your right, we tried to scalp for Saturday and those were the prices! Good thing we didn't buy Saturday night, they lost a tough one. That was the last weekend I had my hopes alive for the Sox...they took 2 out 3 in Boston, there was still time left, actually Cleveland was beating on the Twins and making there late run before they collapsed....then 1 week later Boston came to Chicago and beat us over the head with a bat for a 3 game sweep...the candle went out after that weekend. :whiner:

Fenway
01-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Just to give you a "hint" at how bad it is here

check out these prices for when the WS come to Boston

http://www.aceticket.com/LiveTicketDetail.asp?EventID=318584

notice how similar the databases are
http://stubhub.com/?event_id=126079

it is my understanding that the storefronts on Addison are where all the tickets come thru

Hangar18
01-28-2005, 05:07 PM

it is my understanding that the storefronts on Addison are where all the tickets come thru

Fenway, Thank you for the links, they are Very Helpful.
Will be cool to meet you and watching the SOX pummelling the Red Sox in Boston this season ....
Home team buys the brewskis right?

the_valenstache
01-28-2005, 05:09 PM

:whiner:
Must be terrible having the World Series champs in your town. Because, you know, if I had to choose between the Sox winning one and ticket prices going up...

DumpJerry
01-28-2005, 06:22 PM

:o: :o: :o: :o: Let's make sure Uncle Jerry does not see these prices. Might give him some real badddd ideas.....

ewokpelts
01-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Fenway, Thank you for the links, they are Very Helpful.
Will be cool to meet you and watching the SOX pummelling the Red Sox in Boston this season ....
Home team buys the brewskis right?
Henry,
you're going to boston for the sox games thsi year?
Gene

ewokpelts
01-28-2005, 07:00 PM
I might be going. I already have a deal where I trade a par of bosox/flubs tix(that I won in a contest) for his bleacher tix for ALL 3 soix/sox games...right off the real sox bullpen

Gene

cubhater
01-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Damn! It's just as bad for Yankee home game tickets too. Ticketmonster only has upper deck available for the White Sox series and Stub Mug prices are just ridiculous.:angry:

I've always wanted to see Fenway and Yankee Stadium. This year the choice was either the East or West Coast trip. San Diego and Colorado, here I come!

kraut83
01-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Get your tix off of ebay. My buddy got RF roof box seats for the Friday game last year just over face. It's a great vantage point of the whole field up there & had a perfect view of ARow's 2 bombs over the monster that night!

Hey Fenway, do you know where the visiting hotel is? I want to try and stay there this year.

cbrownson13
01-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Also, for those of you who have never been to Fenway, make sure to take the stadium tour they offer there for $10. It's well worth it in my opinion.

SOXintheBURGH
01-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Also, for those of you who have never been to Fenway, make sure to take the stadium tour they offer there for $10. It's well worth it in my opinion.

Let me guess:

"This is where we sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees."

"This is where Babe Ruth once played, before he was sold to the Yankees."

"Babe Ruth one stood there, before he was sold to the Yankees."

"Ted Williams!"

Foulke You
01-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Foulke You will be making his 3rd trip to Fenway this year (if i can ever get out of this damn tickets.com waiting room:mad: ). Honestly, I love visiting the city of Boston and had a blast in '02 and '03 going to the whole White Sox series in Fenway. Boston Beer Works near the park has some tasty microbrews too.:gulp: Honestly, I don't understand this comparison of Fenway Park and the Red Sox fans to Wrigley and the Cubs. The two teams have a lot of fans and they both have old parks. That's where the similarity ends. The place gives off a completely different vibe than the Mardi Gras carnival of Wrigley. The fans at Fenway CARE about the game on the field and you can have intelligent baseball conversations with the fans around you, a virtual impossibility at Wrigley. Now, I only have a small sample size (6 games) but I'd say that is a fair litmus test as to how the place is. As I've said before, my only critique of BoSox fans was that they were a bit East Coast-Centric. Looking forward to the series this year providing i can get tickets.

cbrownson13
01-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Let me guess:

"This is where we sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees."

"This is where Babe Ruth once played, before he was sold to the Yankees."

"Babe Ruth one stood there, before he was sold to the Yankees."

"Ted Williams!"

No, I don't think I heard the the word(s) Babe Ruth or Curse the whole time I was on the tour. But it is pretty cool. They take you around the whole stadium, rooftop seats, green monster, press box, something similiar to our stadium club. It's a great opportunity to get pictures of the stadium from every vantage point. When I was there, it was family day or something like that and all the players, their kids, and wives were on the field playing wiffle ball. They said usually there is no one on the field.

Hangar18
01-29-2005, 12:50 PM
I've always wanted to see Fenway and Yankee Stadium. This year the choice was either the East or West Coast trip. San Diego and Colorado, here I come!

YES, I was also in the same conundrum, Travel to the East Coast or
Travel to the West Coast. I picked the SanDiego CA trip, but then
it turns out I got excited about the teams chances this year, and I had
to be in Mass. for business (which I conveniently scheduled for when the SOX are out there heh heh). Theres a very strong possibility that I may end
up just leaving early and Heading to New York and take the whole week off.
We'll see ......... and Yeah Ewok, im definitely going to be in Boston,
so I will look for you there ....... Think a bunch of us SouthSiders
need to get together in the bars beforehand .......

Fenway
01-29-2005, 02:37 PM
The White Sox tickets are almost gone just scattered singles and standing room as of 2:30 PM Sat

pinwheels3530
01-29-2005, 02:46 PM
The White Sox tickets are almost gone just scattered singles and standing room as of 2:30 PM Sat

What this can't be the White Sox don't have any fans.....why would these tickets sell out? :o:

Fenway
01-29-2005, 03:30 PM
What this can't be the White Sox don't have any fans.....why would these tickets sell out? :o:

It is a weekend in August?

Green Monster seats and Right Field Roof Deck seats are not available during this sale. Information regarding the sale of these tickets will be released in February. Please continue to check redsox.com for information regarding the sale of these tickets.
AVAILABILITY STATUS FOR TODAY’S SALE – UPDATED 29 JAN 05 3:00 PM EST
The following games are sold out:
4/15, 4/16, 4/17, 5/6, 5/7, 5/8, 5/30

The following games have very limited availability- only scattered single seats, obstructed view grandstand and/or standing room tickets remain:

4/19, 4/25, 4/26, 4/27, 5/9, 5/10, 5/20, 5/21, 5/22, 5/31, 6/1, 6/3, 6/4, 6/5, 6/18, 6/19, 7/2, 7/3, 7/29, 7/30, 7/31, 8/12, 8/13, 8/14, 9/3, 9/4, 9/16, 9/17, 9/18

TheBull19
01-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Hangar 18 will be making his 1st Ever appearance at Wrigley Field East
when the Correct SOX visit the Red Sox. Its gonna be a blast, and
I look forward to Interacting with some of the Boston faithful. Im due
there that weekend, but may actually go to New York early in the week
also ............

Be sure to check out the transvestite bar across the street. Or avoid, whichever.

MUsoxfan
01-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Be sure to check out the transvestite bar across the street. Or avoid, whichever.

There were some scary individuals at that place.....if it's the same place I'm thinking of....across the street from the Howard Johnson.

Fenway
01-29-2005, 03:35 PM

ah yes Herbie's RamRod room :?:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/yp/B00055OQ32/103-2125105-8013412

ewokpelts
01-29-2005, 03:39 PM
YES, I was also in the same conundrum, Travel to the East Coast or
Travel to the West Coast. I picked the SanDiego CA trip, but then
it turns out I got excited about the teams chances this year, and I had
to be in Mass. for business (which I conveniently scheduled for when the SOX are out there heh heh). Theres a very strong possibility that I may end
up just leaving early and Heading to New York and take the whole week off.
We'll see ......... and Yeah Ewok, im definitely going to be in Boston,
so I will look for you there ....... Think a bunch of us SouthSiders
need to get together in the bars beforehand .......
Henry,
Depending on who goes with me to the games(still not 100% sure if I'm going), maybe I can head to the bronx with ya...
Gene

ewokpelts
01-29-2005, 03:41 PM
yeah...you might meet one fo these:
:crossdresser
Gene

OurBitchinMinny
01-30-2005, 12:38 AM
Fenway park is vastly superior to the urinal

doublem23
01-30-2005, 11:09 AM

I don't know about vastly. Actually, to be honest, they both kind of sucked. The only thing Wrigley's got going for it is its not in Boston. :wink:

chisoxmike
01-30-2005, 12:49 PM

In 2003, I sat next to a Red Sox fan that was visiting from Boston at a Sox vs Indians game late in the season. He was telling me that we don't know how lucky we have it at the Cell. He loved our park and wish they would get a new park in Boston, and he said he knows a lot of people that feel the same way in the Boston about Fenway. I was shocked!

The one thing he was disapointed with was the fans he said. He said that we arn't into the games enough. I told him that WHITE Sox fans are always into the games and into every pitch. He liked how we chanted "Paulie Paulie" whenever Konerko came up, Konerko actually then hit a home run.

Fenway
01-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Fenway Park has major problems simply because it is old. While the new ownership has done wonders with the place they have yet to address the problems in the grandstand, where you have wooden seats with little legroom that date back to when the park was rebuilt in 1934. Then new seats that were added in 1934 in right field face center field. It is amazing how much of a difference you have between Section 9 and Section 8. ( 9 is 1000% better )

What most people seem to think will happen is the park will limp along to 2012 so they can have a 100th birthday bash and then move for a year or two to Foxboro to allow the seating bowl to be rebuilt.

In 2003, I sat next to a Red Sox fan that was visiting from Boston at a Sox vs Indians game late in the season. He was telling me that we don't know how lucky we have it at the Cell. He loved our park and wish they would get a new park in Boston, and he said he knows a lot of people that feel the same way in the Boston about Fenway. I was shocked!

tacosalbarojas
01-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Count me amongst those who enjoyed visiting the Hub. Went there for July 4 weekend in 1998. (the Saturday game was John Snyder's magnum opus in a Sox uniform and the Sunday game featured a huge brawl in the Jamie Navarro start). I actually thought the Fens reminded me more of old Comiskey than anything. Just the way the aisles were set up and everything was so close to the field. Had seats right behind the right field (Sox) bullpen for the Saturday game. Great views.

A couple of years ago I went back in the winter for Thanksgiving and visited the ballpark shop right behind the park. Got an El Guapo t-shirt and a Frank Thomas placard for 25 cents!

Fenway
05-26-2005, 01:34 PM
ah yes Herbie's RamRod room :?:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/yp/B00055OQ32/103-2125105-8013412

Looks like the Red Sox want to get rid of Herbie

http://business.bostonherald.com/images/business/gay05262005.jpg
A real estate developer says the Red Sox want to purchase this Fenway building, which currently houses the Boston Ramrod, gay bar

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessN...articleid=84792 (http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=84792)

MUScholar21
05-26-2005, 01:44 PM
It's easy to jump on Fenway for being the Wrigley Field of the East, but it beats Wrigley. Plus, if you have any sense of history, you really should visit Fenway once.

Here's why it beats the hell out of Wrigley:
1) The fans are absolutely obsessed with the game
2) People are very vocal about their support
3) You will NEVER hear someone ask, "How long have we had this Youkilis guy?", while at Wrigley on Opening Day a guy behind my friend asked to his buddy "When did we get this Jerry Hairston?"
4) Going to Fenway is an event. You have access to Yawkey Way throughout the game, which has stores, food and beer out there. You show your ticket just to get onto the street, because once you are there, you are considered in attendance at the game. This is like if you turned the corner at Addison and Waveland, had your ticket stub ripped, and were in the game. It's a giant party atmosphere, but with real baseball fans.
5) While uncomfortable seating abounds, you have a definite sense of nostalgia being there. It might be the years of ESPN subliminally making me feel this way, but I actually ALMOST feel like I'm back in the old park in Bridgeport. It's a great feeling.

There are down sides to Fenway like with anything else, but I've flown out there twice and had a great time. Go there soon, because it's time is near.

A. Cavatica
05-26-2005, 09:35 PM
I'll agree with that, Fenway is a great place to watch a game. Expensive as ^%&* though.

na_na_na_na
05-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Fenway is a beautiful place to watch the game and the majority of fans there are actually interested in the game unlike at the urinal. I would recomend it to anyone.

Fenway
05-29-2005, 04:36 PM
for you WSIers going to Boston in August you maybe in for an event of historic proportions

You just might get to hear SWEET CAROLINE LIVE by Neil himself :smile:

Scheduled to perform at the FleetCenter Aug. 15, Diamond has been asked by the Red Sox to sing at their Aug. 14 home game against the Chicago White Sox.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/05/29/another_mystery_of_the_diamond_explained_at_last/

JohnBasedowYoda
05-29-2005, 04:50 PM
i want to go next year to see the all sox series

chisox
05-30-2005, 07:58 AM
i'll be there at fenway in august.

this summer when i get back to the states i'm traveling around following our guys. baltimore at the end of july, redsox and yankees in the beginning of august. i can't wait.

Foulke You
05-30-2005, 03:26 PM
I'll be there for sure for the Friday and Saturday games at Fenway. Trying to get tickets for the Sunday one too.

LOL about Neil Diamond live at Fenway. I remember how bonkers the crowd goes at Red Sox games everytime Sweet Caroline comes on the speakers. In 2003 when the White Sox played there, I remember looking at my girlfriend and I felt like we were on another planet as we were the only ones not singing along with Sweet Caroline. I asked the Red Sox fans next to me if that was a Red Sox tradition or if Bostonians just love Neil Diamond. They explained that they have played it at Red Sox games for years and it has become a tradition around the 7th inning to play that. I can only imagine how nuts the crowd will go if Neil Diamond himself comes to Fenway Park.:cool:

Fenway
07-11-2005, 04:48 PM
It is now official

Neil Diamond will sing Sweet Caroline live at Fenway on Aug 14 when the White Sox are in town.

The game maybe moved to an 8:05 PM start for ESPN
Where it began, I can't begin to know when
But then I know it's growing strong
Oh, wasn't the spring, whooo
And spring became the summer
Who'd believe you'd come along

Hands, touching hands, reaching out
Touching me, touching you
Oh, sweet Caroline
Good times never seem so good
I've been inclined to believe it never would

And now I, I look at the night, whooo
And it don't seem so lonely
We fill it up with only two, oh
And when I hurt
Hurting runs off my shoulder
How can I hurt when holding you

Oh, one, touching one, reaching out
Oh, sweet Caroline
Oh I've been inclined to believe it never would

Ohhh, sweet Caroline, good times never seem so good

TornLabrum
07-11-2005, 04:52 PM
It is now official

Neil Diamond will sing Sweet Caroline live at Fenway on Aug 14 when the White Sox are in town.

Where it began, I can't begin to know when
But then I know it's growing strong
Oh, wasn't the spring, whooo
And spring became the summer
Who'd believe you'd come along

Hands, touching hands, reaching out
Oh, sweet Caroline
I've been inclined to believe it never would

And now I, I look at the night, whooo
And it don't seem so lonely
We fill it up with only two, oh
And when I hurt
Hurting runs off my shoulder
How can I hurt when holding you

Oh, one, touching one, reaching out
Oh, sweet Caroline
Oh I've been inclined to believe it never would

Ohhh, sweet Caroline, good times never seem so good

Now I have an excellent reason to not even try to go to that game.

Fenway
07-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Now I have an excellent reason to not even try to go to that game.

The scalpers will have a field day now

http://www.aceticket.com/LiveTicketDetail.asp?EventID=318587

Kogs35
07-11-2005, 05:29 PM
It is now official

is saturday's game being moved for fox, if not even though there r no tickets left y is there a tbd then?

Fenway
07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
is saturday's game being moved for fox, if not even though there r no tickets left y is there a tbd then?

doubtful since Fox has St Louis/Flubs scheduled

Kogs35
07-11-2005, 05:38 PM
doubtful since Fox has St Louis/Flubs scheduled

fox did move a flubs game off the schedule last year, and it was against houston oddly enough for a cards-pirates game.

alohafri
07-11-2005, 09:34 PM
The Aloha's will be in Boston for the Sox series and hope to get 2 tix to Friday nite's game. Also we hope to meet other White Sox fans for brews before the game...when the time gets closer, we should plan where and when to meet!

---Mrs. Aloha

Foulke You
07-12-2005, 04:48 PM
The scalpers will have a field day now

http://www.aceticket.com/LiveTicketDetail.asp?EventID=318587
They were already pretty steep even before this announcement. It figures, that is the one game I need to go to the whole series.:(: I already have Friday and Saturday tickets. Argh...

Alohas...maybe I'll run into you at one of the games. My girlfriend and I usually hit Boston Beer Works before or after the game.:cool:

07-12-2005, 06:03 PM

As of right now it is a Night game Saturday...I got Tix to both Friday and Saturday...I went last year and loved it...Can't wait to go back to Southie!!

Fenway
07-12-2005, 06:06 PM
As of right now it is a Night game Saturday...I got Tix to both Friday and Saturday...I went last year and loved it...Can't wait to go back to Southie!!

while in Southie check this place out

http://www.stadiumbars.com/