PDA

View Full Version : Borchard/Escobar make ESPN Insider's 8 young players to watch

cbrownson13
01-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Jerry Crasnick wrote an article on players, 26 and under, to watch this spring training that had very high expectations when they came into the league, but have not yet fullfilled them.

Both Borchard and Alex Escobar are on the list.

Mentions that the hope Borchard would turn into a switch hitting Adam Dunn are fading. Talks about his size/power and mentions his bomb last year at the Cell. Talks about him being released by the team in the Mexican league and how there isn't really room for him on this year's team. One scout says, "He's a big, strong guy, but he's stiff. He doesn't have the fluid actions you need to be good at this game.

About Escobar, talks about all his injuries (torn labrum, fractured vertebra, knee reconstruction, and a fractured foot). Says his strikeout totals were terrible, but the Sox will give him a chance for a backup job in Spring Training.

Also on the list: Jon Rouch, Rick Ankiel, Brandon Phillips, Dewon Brazelton, Wilsin Betemit, and Dennis Tankersley.

Link for those who have insider: http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1977790

idseer
01-28-2005, 03:14 PM
rauch is gonna be a star! :cool:

how disappointing i cannot read the article.
any chance you could copy just the section about rauch to here?

SoxxoS
01-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Not good when 3 people are either in your system or were in your system out of 8. Not good times.

bobj4400
01-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Not really surprised, but would have been nice to see some of the Cubs failed 'phenom's in the making' make this list. (ie. Bobby Hill, Hee Seop Choi)

mweflen
01-28-2005, 03:59 PM
:LTPTo watch what - flipping burgers in his new day job?

chaz171
01-28-2005, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=idseer]rauch is gonna be a star![QUOTE]

What Color is the Sky in your world?

11'4" Rag armed Righties will not last long even in the Bush league rotation of the Washington Nationals.

Every one is still remembering the 11 strikeouts he has in the Olympics.

that was 5 years ago.
One game.
Against an untalented squad.
From south Africa.

he Stinks!

santo=dorf
01-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Not good when 3 people are either in your system or were in your system out of 8. Not good times.

What are you talking about? Our guys won't even make the ML team, and besides, our minor league organization is the worst remember? We were never the same after the Alomar and Everett trades.

chaz171
01-28-2005, 05:49 PM
What are you talking about? Our guys won't even make the ML team, and besides, our minor league organization is the worst remember? We were never the same after the Alomar and Everett trades.

I agree.

Prospects are vastly overrateed except when dealing them for real talent. How Many can't miss kids do we have to have paraded in front of us every spring before we realize, that only one out of 25 will survive up in the Majors?

James Baldwin
Rodney Bolton
Scott Ruffcorn
Lorenzo Grey
Lorenzo Barcelo
Jon Raush
Bill Long
Bob Fallon
Kevin Hickey
Salome Barojas
Bruce Tanner
Ross Baumgarten
Al Jones

And who can Forget Dave Stegman, Jim Siwi and Steve Fireovid

hey this list can go on forever!

rdivaldi
01-28-2005, 05:56 PM
What Color is the Sky in your world?

11'4" Rag armed Righties will not last long even in the Bush league rotation of the Washington Nationals.

Every one is still remembering the 11 strikeouts he has in the Olympics.

that was 5 years ago.
One game.
Against an untalented squad.
From south Africa.

he Stinks!

What games are you watching? While not Randy Johnson, Rauch still deals from 89-93 and has 4 pitches that he can throw for strikes. He was absolutely dominant after we traded him, going 3- 0, with an ERA of 1.54 with Montreal. Rauch's only problem is that he can't stay healthy.

chaz171
01-28-2005, 06:02 PM
What games are you watching? While not Randy Johnson, Rauch still deals from 89-93 and has 4 pitches that he can throw for strikes. He was absolutely dominant after we traded him, going 3- 0, with an ERA of 1.54 with Montreal. Rauch's only problem is that he can't stay healthy.

I watched the Games He pitched for the Chicago White Sox.

He was tossing Grapefruits up there.

look at his numbers, pal,

37.1 IP 8 HR and 27 earned runs. 18 walks 2 HBP and a whopping 23 K's. in a Sox Uni. So When he actually Throws one of his 4 pithces for strikes, People usually hit it

a flash in the pan with Montreal last year isn't getting him a bust in Cooperstown.

He's not even Adam Johnson......

Rauch's only problem is he stinks

RKMeibalane
01-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Borchard is a player to watch? Why the **** would anyone want to watch him?

Ol' No. 2
01-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Borchard is a player to watch? Why the **** would anyone want to watch him?To make sure he doesn't sneak onto the team bus.:tongue:

rdivaldi
01-28-2005, 06:06 PM
I watched the Games He pitched for the Chicago White Sox.

He was tossing Grapefruits up there.

look at his numbers, pal,

37.1 IP 8 HR and 27 earned runs. 18 walks 2 HBP and a whopping 23 K's. in a Sox Uni.

a flash in the pan with Montreal last year isn't getting him a bust in Cooperstown.

He's not even Adam Johnson......

Rauch's only problem is he stinks

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree. I've followed Big Jon's progress for a long time and I have seen too many outstanding performances to dismiss him as a lost cause. If he beats the injury bug (which I doubt) he could be a solid major league starter for a long time.

chaz171
01-28-2005, 06:06 PM
To make sure he doesn't sneak onto the team bus.:tongue:

Nice Shot!!!

Infallible
01-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Baldwin had some good outings.....

soxtalker
01-28-2005, 06:29 PM
I agree.

Prospects are vastly overrateed except when dealing them for real talent. How Many can't miss kids do we have to have paraded in front of us every spring before we realize, that only one out of 25 will survive up in the Majors?

This seems to be a common mantra on this board; it has been repeated so often that it seems to be taken as an absolute truth. However, I suspect that there is more to it. When a prospect fails, it isn't just a failure of the player but also of the people (and possibly the organizational system) who selected him and trained him. However, aren't some of these people better than others at making such selections? Aren't some teams better at nurturing and training players in their minor league systems?

We tend to focus a lot on the prospect (e.g., Borchard). That's who we see. We don't generally know the scouts or the people who made the decisions along the way (except the GM). I wish that there was a way to uncover those people and evaluate them.

rdivaldi
01-28-2005, 06:36 PM
We tend to focus a lot on the prospect (e.g., Borchard). That's who we see. We don't generally know the scouts or the people who made the decisions along the way (except the GM). I wish that there was a way to uncover those people and evaluate them.

This information is available, I just can't remember where I saw it. :redface:

Anyway, here are probably the most important people (besides KW) in the front office responsible for player movement/development in the minors:

Duane Shaffer (Senior Director of Player Personnel)
Dave Wilder (Director of Player Development)
Jim Snyder (Director of Minor League Instruction)
Brian Porter (Assistant Director of Player Development)

RKMeibalane
01-28-2005, 06:36 PM
To make sure he doesn't sneak onto the team bus.:tongue:

You're assuming that he can actually find the team bus. I don't know if that's possible.

santo=dorf
01-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Well then we'll have to agree to disagree. I've followed Big Jon's progress for a long time and I have seen too many outstanding performances to dismiss him as a lost cause. If he beats the injury bug (which I doubt) he could be a solid major league starter for a long time.

Rauch only pitched well when the pressure was off. He had a good game late in September 2002 against the Twins, and that came after we were eliminated.

He should do well in Washington.

gosox41
01-29-2005, 09:31 AM
You're assuming that he can actually find the team bus. I don't know if that's possible.

We know he couldn't hit the team bus with a bat in his hands.

Bob