PDA

View Full Version : Get today's Sun-Times...there's a GREAT Sox ad on page 137...

hsnterprize
01-28-2005, 07:57 AM
It's in connection with the Iguchi signing. I can't post a copy of it, so I'll describe it as best I can. It's a U.S. Department of Justice Immigration Application signed by "The Gooch". It has his name, date of birth, and other pertinent information. In the slot labeled, "All Other Names Used (Including aliases or names from previous marriage(s))", it's typed, "'The Gooch', TBD by Hawk". Under that line, the space labelled "Applicant's Residence Last Five Years" is marked, "Second Base, Fukuoka Dome, Fukuoka Daiei Hawks, Japan". Under that, "Applicant's anticipated United States Residence (if known)" is "Second Base, U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago White Sox, Illinois". Here's other parts of the "application".

List Any Crimes You Have Been Convicted of (List ALL repeat offenses seperately)-2001 Stole Most Bases, 2003 Stole Most Bases, 2004 Battery and use of force resulting in harmful or offensive contact (2004 Case Reference Number .333)

Declare All Family Heirlooms Or Irreplaceable Value (List possessions that exceeds stated monetary limits from Form OMB No. 1234-4567)-Gold Glove 2001, Gold Glove 2003, Gold Glove 2004, All Star Ring 2001, All Star Ring 2002, All Star Ring 2003, All Star Ring 2004, Japanese Series Ring 1999, Japanese Series Ring 2003

References (List all sponsors of your application for immigration)-Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams, Ozzie Guillen, Harold Baines, Joey Cora, Shingo Takatsu, Don Cooper, Greg Walker, Art Kusnyer, Tim Raines, Man Soo Lee

List All Parties And/Or Persons That Might Oppose Your Immigration To The United States-The New York Yankees, The Minnesota Twins, The Cleveland Indians, The Boston Red Sox, The Detroit Tigers, The Seattle Mariners, The Kansas City Royals

Clearly State Reason Applicant Seeks Immigrant Status In The United States-To Win

The Disclaimer-SUBMIT ALL PAGES OF THIS FORM. FORM IS NOT VALID WITHOUT SIGNATURE. PENALTIES: SEVERE PENALTIES ARE PROVIDED BY LAW FOR KNOWINGLY AN WILLFULLY FALSIFYING OR CONCEALING A MATERIAL FACT. BY SIGNING THIS FORM YOU ARE AFFIRMING THAT ALL OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS TRUE AND CORRECT.

Iguchi signs the form, and it's notorized by the INS dated January 27th, 2005.

At the bottom of the page, there's a small line next the the Sox logo. The line says, "Is this a great country or what?"

Federal government bureaucracy at its finest, isn't it?

idseer
01-28-2005, 08:04 AM
very clever. :cool:

anewman35
01-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Somebody HAS to scan that up.

FightingBillini
01-28-2005, 08:24 AM
If only it would let me make this bigger: :thumbsup:

That..... was .... AWESOME

SSN721
01-28-2005, 08:29 AM
That is hilarious, might have to buy the paper today. :D:

SSN721
01-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Oh and thanks for the description, I hope somebody can get that scanned for the site.

SoxFan78
01-28-2005, 08:53 AM
That sounds like a awesome ad! Way to go Brooks. I too wish somebody scans in that newspaper ad!

Rocky Soprano
01-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Here you go guys. I had to fax it to myself so the quality is not all that great:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/gosox21/iguchi.jpg

thecell
01-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Great ad! Once again Brooks nails it right on the head! 3 more weeks til pitchers and catchers report!!

jabrch
01-28-2005, 09:23 AM
What an awesome ad. WTG Brooks!

Clembasbal
01-28-2005, 09:32 AM
"Anybody else opposed to you coming here?"

:weewillie
"...(cough, cough)"

Jjav829
01-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Ask and you shall receive.

Link (https://home.comcast.net/~jjav829/V2T59.BMP)

It's not great, but it's readable. :smile:

Edit: Aww crap, after all that I see that Rocky already faxed it and posted it in probably about an hour less time time than I spent screwing around trying to hook up my scanner and get Comcast's damn file storage thing to work. :mad:

anewman35
01-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Is this ad in the other papers, too?

Church Turtle
01-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Awesome. I can't stop grinning.:bandance:

SoxFanTillDeath
01-28-2005, 09:59 AM
:cool: That's awesome!

SOXintheBURGH
01-28-2005, 10:12 AM
That is incredible!!!

:threadrules:

SSN721
01-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Woohoo, even cooler then I imagined it, great job Brooks. :bandance:

mweflen
01-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Looks like "Gooch" it is. No Gucci or Iggy. Oh well, Gooch was my first choice anyway :smile:

JKryl
01-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Way to go Brooks, I smell something cooking on the South Side this year! Could it be a pennant winner? (Hey, let me dream, OK?)

soxfan26
01-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Clearly State Reason Applicant Seeks Immigrant Status In The United States-To Win

YES!!! That's what I like to hear. :gulp:

Hangar18
01-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Nice Job Rocky ........ thanks for the Effort, now SOX FANS
around the World can see what were talking about .......

Ol' No. 2
01-28-2005, 10:48 AM
This just made my day! :thumbsup:

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-28-2005, 11:35 AM
I saw that ad this morning, tore it carefully out of the paper, and plan on saving it...this might be the 1st building block of a long tradition of positive progress, not just team, but marketing. Hats off to Brooks.

chaz171
01-28-2005, 11:39 AM
\http://dump.wuffle.com/images/funny/this-thread-rocks.jpg

Iwritecode
01-28-2005, 11:44 AM
"....and then he said, 'you know, at Wrigley, we teach our kids to wash their hands after using the bathroom'; my response to him was simply, ' at Comiskey, we teach our kids not to piss on their hands.'"

:roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao: :rolling:

Great sig. I love that joke.

It works especially well when referring to Cubs fans... :D:

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-28-2005, 12:34 PM
:roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao: :rolling:

Great sig. I love that joke.

It works especially well when referring to Cubs fans... :D:

It is a joke, but my father said it to a Cubs fan at the old Crosstown Classic series at Wrigley. He took me, two of my brothers and my nephew(who was 8 at the time).

Joel Perez
01-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Shiner Bocks to Brooks, coming up!

:gulp:

rookieroy
01-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Creativity in its finest form! Way to go Brooks!

Now....can we come up with something similar for Whining Wiley?

Post #2...how did I do? :bandance:

Two By Four
01-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Hey thanks for the compliments. My name is David Stevenson and I am President and owner of the ad agency that does the Sox ads. I also wrote the immigration ad you all are referencing.

I've attached a clean copy for everyone.

Also, we are working on the new TV campaign for the Sox and from time to time, would love to be able to bounce ideas off anyone that's interested.

Anyway, thanks again.

http://www.twoxfour.com/webfiles/immigration/Immigration-Ad.jpg

jabrch
01-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Awesome work.... Nice job with that. I am looking forward to more of your great work!

Hey thanks for the compliments. My name is David Stevenson and I am President and owner of the ad agency that does the Sox ads. I also wrote the immigration ad you all are referenceing.

Also, we are working on the new TV campaign for the Sox and from time to time, would love to be able to bounce ideas off anyone that's interested.

Anyway, thanks again.

idseer
01-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Ask and you shall receive.

Link (https://home.comcast.net/%7Ejjav829/V2T59.BMP)

It's not great, but it's readable. :smile:

Edit: Aww crap, after all that I see that Rocky already faxed it and posted it in probably about an hour less time time than I spent screwing around trying to hook up my scanner and get Comcast's damn file storage thing to work. :mad:

it's the thought that counts jjav. :smile:

The Wimperoo
01-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Hey thanks for the compliments. My name is David Stevenson and I am President and owner of the ad agency that does the Sox ads. I also wrote the immigration ad you all are referenceing.

Anyway, thanks again.

What agency do you work for?

Ol' No. 2
01-28-2005, 02:00 PM

Anyway, thanks again.

http://www.twoxfour.com/webfiles/immigration/Immigration-Ad.jpgAnd he hangs out at WSI!!! Smart man. I imagine you must have seen some of the Sox slogan suggestions on the other thread. Good to know we have a direct pipeline.:D:

Iwritecode
01-28-2005, 02:01 PM
It is a joke, but my father said it to a Cubs fan at the old Crosstown Classic series at Wrigley. He took me, two of my brothers and my nephew(who was 8 at the time).

I'm not sure I'd want to put my hands anywhere near the sinks at Wrigley in the first place. :o:

TornLabrum
01-28-2005, 02:14 PM
The ad is terrific! I don't know how much of a say Brooks Boyer has in something like this since the ad agency would put the stuff together, but I assume that he must have had a major say in its approval. As I said in this week's column Brooks get it!

SSN721
01-28-2005, 02:27 PM

Anyway, thanks again.

WOnderful job, it is already my wallpaper at my computer here at work. Thanks for dropping us a line, hope you hang out a bit to get a general feeling of the fans here. Thanks again for the clean copy, enjoy your stay. :smile:

Rocky Soprano
01-28-2005, 02:35 PM

Anyway, thanks again.

First off, Welcome to the site!

Thanks for dropping by WSI and taking time to make a post!
As you can see, we just LOVE the ad. Keep up the great work.

And it would be awesome to help out with ideas!

Again, awesome ad!

Palehose13
01-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Two by Four-

First: :welcome:

Great work! With ads like that, along with other stuff Brooks implemented last year, you guys should be able to attract the "casual fan" and increase interest in the White Sox! Of course, hopefully the team that Kenny Williams has put together will also increase excitement (via winning) and make your job a little easier. :wink:

Thanks for stopping by, and I am sure no one here would object to be a sounding board for whatever ideas you guys have.

StillMissOzzie
01-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Hey thanks for the compliments. My name is David Stevenson and I am President and owner of the ad agency that does the Sox ads. I also wrote the immigration ad you all are referencing.

Anyway, thanks again.

Welcome to WSI! I loved the ad too, and I'm looking forward to more of your work in the upcoming season! Congrats to Brook too for a great selection!

SMO
:gulp:

MUsoxfan
01-29-2005, 01:40 AM
I like him. I met him personally and he genuinely cares. You're probably that guy that bitches about lack of 1/2 price days and ticket price increases, but also complains about low payroll. I cast my vote FOR Brooks

awesomefan
01-29-2005, 02:53 AM
David Stevenson.....Thanks from me too!:D:

I saved the Iguchi document & put it on my desktop.

AWESOME JOB!!!!:supernana:

idseer
01-29-2005, 08:24 AM
i think wsi should institute a punishment for those too stupid to figure out where teal is.

2 day suspension! :smile:

zach074
01-29-2005, 08:35 AM
The ad is excellent, Brooks is just plain awesome and we found out which of our nicknames will stick!:bandance:

Two By Four
01-29-2005, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=bc2k]boyer sucks

Anyone see this year's ticket prices?

"I'm better than you" attitude

...let them take the field as a team, as the WHITE SOX!

This is the man who introduced mullet night...

Hey bc2k, I just joined up at WSI, so who am I to comment. But when you start hitting on Brooks I feel compelled. Actually he DOES have a lot to do with ticket prices. But send him an email and he will explain it to you like he did to the fans that saw him speak at SoxFest. He BELIEVES that a Sox game is the BEST game in town. And because of that belief he does not want to discount the game to a point that people think it's cheap. But that's not the only reason he did it. Like I said, send him an email he'll explain...

As for the "I'm better attitude..." That, I surely don't get. He is truly a HUGE fan of Sox fans. I have been working with Marketing Director's for a very long time and this guy cares. I get email messages from him at 3 am. The last one was an email that a fan sent him suggesting a commercial—a bad commercial—but this guy really does care.

Your suggestion about taking the field as a team is a GREAT one. They should in my opinion. I will suggest it to him as soon as I finish here. That's what we're going to be selling anyway—TEAM! I will let you know his response.

Mullet night! Dude, mullet night is awesome. Does it lightly touch on an old stereotype attached to southsiders? Maybe. But you know what, it's funny and people should embrace what he is trying to do. He is trying to get people that would never think about coming to the Cell to come. Once they're there they will sit next to a group of guys from the Southside that truly love their Sox and baseball. And two things will happen: One they will realize that Southsiders are really fun people to hang out with, mullet or not. Second, they will hopefully figure out that you don't need ivy to have a great time at a ballpark. I think Mullet night is going to be a huge success (wait until you see the ad!)...and if you need a ticket for that night I'll buy you one.

Brooks is doing a great job. By they way if you have a mullet, I can get you in an ad. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Hey, we need a smilies with a Mullet! :cool:

tebman
01-29-2005, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=bc2k]boyer sucks

Hey bc2k, I just joined up at WSI, so who am I to comment. But when you start hitting on Brooks I feel compelled. Actually he DOES have a lot to do with ticket prices. But send him an email and he will explain it to you like he did to the fans that saw him speak at SoxFest. He BELIEVES that a Sox game is the BEST game in town. And because of that belief he does he does not want to discount the game to a point that people think it's cheap. But that's not the only reason he did it. Like I said, send him an email he'll explain...

As for the "I'm better attitude..." That, I surely don't get. He is truly a HUGE fan of Sox fans. I have been working with Marketing Director's for a very long time and this guy cares. I get email messages from him at 3 am. The last one was an email that a fan sent him suggesting a commercial—a bad commercial—but this guy really does care.

Your suggestion about taking the field as team is a GREAT one. They should in my opinion. I will suggest it to him as soon as I finish here. That's what we're going to be selling anyway—TEAM! I will let you know his response.

Mullet night! Dude, mullet night is awesome. Sure, does it lightly touch on an old stereotype attached to southsiders? Maybe. But you know what, it's funny and people should embrace what he is trying to do. He is trying to get peoplet that would never think about coming to the Cell to come. Once they're there they will sit next to a group of guys from the Southside that truly love their Sox and baseball. And two things will happen: One they will realize that Southsiders are really fun people to hang out with, mullet or not. Second, they will hopefully figure out that you don't need ivy to have a great time at a ballpark. I think Mullet night is going to be a huge success (wait until you see th ad!)...and if you need a ticket for that night I'll buy you one.

Brooks is doing a great job. By they way if you have a mullet, I can get you in an ad. :rolleyes:

You're a gentleman, indeed, 2x4. If you've lurked on this board within the last year, then you're aware that the opinions expressed by bc2k are not those of the vast number of folks here. Brooks and his creative team (which we now know includes you) have done a terrific job in raising awareness and making us regular fans feel good.

What it seems that Brooks (and you) understand is that Sox fans and the history they bring with them have a personality distinct from fans of the Cubs or the Bulls. It goes beyond simple blue-collar vs. white-collar class distinctions, and has more to do with expectations -- not necessarily of championships, though those would be nice, but of effort and consistent hard work on behalf of the team. That's why nobody here misses Sosa. He's a one-dimensional hotdog, and a cheater to boot.

The Cubs and their fans, on the other hand, have mutated into a bizarre combination of frat party and suburban open house. Their fans' only expectation is to be reinforced in their comfort and to be kept away from the icky people who can't afford the scalped tickets. So bring on mullet night and whatever other celebrations of people who work for a living and appreciate those who do (Lunchbucket night? Paycheck night? Tool belt night? :tongue: )

Thanks again for the great work on the ads -- we appreciate it, big time.

- tebman

doublem23
01-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Truly excellent. :thumbsup:

Palehose13
01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Hey bc2k, I just joined up at WSI, so who am I to comment. But when you start hitting on Brooks I feel compelled. Actually he DOES have a lot to do with ticket prices. But send him an email and he will explain it to you like he did to the fans that saw him speak at SoxFest. He BELIEVES that a Sox game is the BEST game in town. And because of that belief he does he does not want to discount the game to a point that people think it's cheap. But that's not the only reason he did it. Like I said, send him an email he'll explain...

I did see his seminar at SoxFest and was satisfied with the answer given. Most of us by any stretch of the imagination aren't loaded (at least I'm not!). Heck, I'm a teacher (and definitely not the only one) so everyone out there knows approximately what we make. Do I want to pay expensive ticket prices? No. Do I want to see a winner? Hell yeah! The way to increase payroll (which many here complain about) is to increase sales. Brooks explained it very well in the seminar. He's the guy that has to get Kenny the money. I'm impressed with the ballclub that KW has put together this offseason. So I hunkered down and came up with money for a 13 game package. It seems to me like many others are doing that too. Because of the moves KW has made, and the excellent marketing being done by Brooks and Two by Four, many others are going to come and see this exciting team. And that will bring in money to increase payroll, cause so many believe that you need a 100 mil payroll to win! :rolleyes:

Two By Four
01-29-2005, 10:58 AM
I couldn't agree more...and with more payroll comes more money to shoot commercials...in places like the Caribbean! :cool:

Palehose13
01-29-2005, 11:03 AM
I couldn't agree more...and with more payroll comes more money to shoot commercials...in places like the Caribbean! :cool:

LOL. We do think alike. I "volunteered" to go to a conference next weekend...in San Diego. That is gonna suck. :D:

Two By Four
01-29-2005, 11:03 AM
What agency do you work for?

Two by Four

Ol' No. 2
01-29-2005, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=bc2k]boyer sucks

Your suggestion about taking the field as team is a GREAT one. They should in my opinion. I will suggest it to him as soon as I finish here. That's what we're going to be selling anyway—TEAM! I will let you know his response.

Mullet night! Dude, mullet night is awesome. Sure, does it lightly touch on an old stereotype attached to southsiders? Maybe. But you know what, it's funny and people should embrace what he is trying to do. He is trying to get people that would never think about coming to the Cell to come. Once they're there they will sit next to a group of guys from the Southside that truly love their Sox and baseball. And two things will happen: One they will realize that Southsiders are really fun people to hang out with, mullet or not. Second, they will hopefully figure out that you don't need ivy to have a great time at a ballpark. I think Mullet night is going to be a huge success (wait until you see the ad!)...and if you need a ticket for that night I'll buy you one.

EDIT: Hey, we need a smilies with a Mullet! :cool:First, a belated :welcome:

Second, it seems to me that Brooks and you are bringing a real breath of fresh air to the Sox marketing, and I doubt that even the most negative people here would disagree with that. While some here may have reservations about some of the promotions (mullet night) it's still good to see the Sox not afraid to try new things. If you wait for 100% agreement, you'll never do anything. Who knows? It might be a huge success. It can't be any more hokey than Elvis Night and that's always a popular gig.

So don't be a stranger. You won't find a more diverse collection of passionate Sox fans anywhere. And if you need opinions, there is certainly no shortage of them around here.:cool:

HomeFish
01-29-2005, 01:10 PM
What's this about mullet night? That sounds hilariously awesome.

I'm in full agreement with the embrace of the Sox stereotype.

jabrch
01-29-2005, 03:48 PM

EDIT: Hey, we need a smilies with a Mullet! :cool:

Well - I don't have a mullett (anymore) but if you are looking to "wig up" some sox fans with Mullets, I'd love to be in a Mullet Night advertisement!!!!

markopat
01-29-2005, 05:03 PM
GREAT Ad! nicely done!

SOX ROCK!:gulp:

Rocklive99
01-30-2005, 09:27 PM
It's also on Whitesox.com

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/iguchi_papers.jsp

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/fan_forum/y2005/iguchi_papers_581x899.gif

hsnterprize
01-31-2005, 06:54 AM
David,

This is an awesome ad, and I thought it deserved to be mentioned here on WSI. Lemme tell a little about me...I'm a radio news and sports reporter here in town, and I'm also a card-carrying, prouder-than-heck White Sox fan. Considering all the media biases and such in our fair city, a member of the press who isn't ashamed to admit his silver-and-black love shows a lot of guts. And now with the Cubs' fall-from-grace with the Sosa mess, along with the Sox's aggression with marketing and promotion, we Sox fans are feeling more proud and free to declare our devotion to all things Sox. Let's face it...considering all the crap we Sox fans have been taking because we were smart enough not to act like lemmings towards the Cubs...ads like yours vindicate us as Sox fans, and our desire for a successful team.

Thanks for a great ad. I'll drop a couple of ideas to you in the near future BTW...I checked out your website. It's pretty neat and creative (http://www.twoxfour.com/).

Two By Four
01-31-2005, 09:08 AM
This is an awesome ad, ...
Thanks. And by all means shoot me ideas. Our goal is not to make the White Sox marketing and advertising the best in town, it's to make it the best in the country. And that's up against some pretty tough competition like Nike and ESPN. So we'll take all the help we can get.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

chuckn98229
01-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Fantastic Ad. Keep up the great work.

Great to see the enthusiasm and anticipation for the coming White Sox season. I regret they only have one regular season trip scheduled out here to Seattle at the end of August. Will have to get out to the Mariners' store early on March 5 when single-game tickets go on sale!