PDA

View Full Version : Boston plays GM

Jerry_Manuel
10-22-2001, 12:16 AM
From his lastest column:
(Be sure to read his last trade)

Trades I'd like to see

Colorado trades Mike Hampton to Texas for Pudge Rodriguez. OK, OK, Hampton doesn't want to leave Colorado and never wanted to play in the American League, but maybe can bat the days he pitches. The Rangers have a serious Pudge contract problem, and his stats would be unbelievable in Coors Lite. When Pudge's name was brought, one GM said, "If I were to bet, I'd say Pudge ends up in Baltimore." Now that it's no longer all about Cal, the Orioles can begin thinking about trying to win once again. If I were running the Orioles, I'd be hard after Dmitri Young to get a character person -- and pretty good hitter -- in the middle of their order.

The Dodgers send Gary Sheffield to the Mets for Jay Payton, Glendon Rusch and Armando Benitez. The Mets need power, Benitez and Rusch need new homes, the Dodgers need pitching depth and payroll relief and the Mets are hesitant right now to get into any long-term first base obligation because of Mike Piazza's future. Then the Mets could turn around and deal Alex Escobar for Troy Percival.

Oakland trades 3B Eric Hinske and RHP Luis Vizcaino to Montreal for OF Brad Wilkerson, LHP Graeme Lloyd and RHP Scott Strickland. Hinske, who hit .282 with 25 HR in Triple-A, gives the Expos a minimum-salaried, left-handed hitting third baseman with immense potential, while Wilkerson can take Johnny Damon's spot as the A's shore out their bullpen.

Florida trades Charles Johnson to Toronto for Shannon Stewart. The Jays offered Stewart to Cleveland for Einar Diaz at the deadline and were turned down, and Johnson might accept Toronto in lieu of hitting the free-agent market in this economy. Florida could then trade either Stewart or Clifford Floyd for young talent.

San Diego deals Phil Nevin to Atlanta for SS Wilson Betemit and LHP Odalis Perez. The Braves desperately need help for Chipper Jones, especially with Javy Lopez a free agent, and Nevin is one of the best right-handed hitters in the business. Betemit is a future star who could allow D'Angelo Jimenez to play second, but the Braves want to keep winning as long as Greg Maddux, Tim Glavine and John Smoltz are what they are. There's a lot of Jason Giambi talk in Atlanta, however.

Mike Sweeney and Roberto Hernandez to Minnesota, with the Royals receiving Joe Mays, David Ortiz, Brad Thomas and LaTroy Hawkins. That would give Minnesota the cleanup RBI hitter and a closer, the Royals get as close to a No. 1 starter as they could find and improve their depth. Now the Twins just have to be willing to take the $14 million in payroll. Puh-leaze ... ? Probably not. They're at $28.7 million already, and even if they get a bump in their abysmal season-ticket base, $40 million may be too much.

John Rocker to Boston for Paxton Crawford and Brad Baker. Rocker and Carl Everett ...

Just some ideas to think about.

GASHWOUND
10-22-2001, 01:10 AM
Who is Boston? And why doesn't he figure out a trade for the Sox.

FarWestChicago
10-22-2001, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
Who is Boston? And why doesn't he figure out a trade for the Sox.
:boston

I am Boston Gammons!

GASHWOUND
10-22-2001, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

:boston

I am Boston Gammons!

DuH?! My mind went blank. I was like, "Boston, who is that?" :)

FarWestChicago
10-22-2001, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

DuH?! My mind went blank.That happens to Boston all the time . :)

LongDistanceFan
10-22-2001, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
That happens to Boston all the time . :) i thought you were referring to daryl boston the old sox player.

rmusacch
10-22-2001, 10:17 AM
Do they move Chipper back to SS in that Nevin trade?

Pete Ward
10-22-2001, 08:56 PM
Florida trades Charles Johnson to Toronto for Shannon Stewart

I thought Johnson was a free agent? How do they trade a FA?

Jerry_Manuel
10-22-2001, 09:07 PM
Johnson has an option to become a free agent.
He is still under contract to the Marlins.

Daver
10-22-2001, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Pete Ward
Florida trades Charles Johnson to Toronto for Shannon Stewart

I thought Johnson was a free agent? How do they trade a FA?

Johnson is not a free agent yet,he won't be until after the world series.