PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle's pick-off move

PorkChopExpress
01-27-2005, 11:13 AM
ESPN gives Buehrle a nod in its latest "Hot Stove Heaters" article regarding pitchers who hold runners the best.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1975917

SOXintheBURGH
01-27-2005, 11:17 AM
ESPN gives Buehrle a nod in its latest "Hot Stove Heaters" article regarding pitchers who hold runners the best.

Rogers wrote it.. yay.

tacosalbarojas
01-27-2005, 01:37 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1975917 Pretty convincing numbers there - just about even with stolen bases allowed and runners picked off. I love that part of Buehrle's game. Interesting too that Coop doesn't advocate the slide step. I hadn't heard that before.

BRDSR
01-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Pretty convincing numbers there - just about even with stolen bases allowed and runners picked off. I love that part of Buehrle's game. Interesting too that Coop doesn't advocate the slide step. I hadn't heard that before.

Does it say he doesn't advocate the slide-step at all or the slide-step for Buehrle? Theres no reason for a lefty to use a slide-step because even at the very top of his leg kick, he can still go the other direction with his leg and throw to first base. A righty, however, is committed to home-play as soon as his left leg twitches. And if Coop doesn't advocate the slidestep for righties either, I'd like to know why. Just cause it screws up their timing and location, or is there another reason more specific to holding baserunners?

Clembasbal
01-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Pretty convincing numbers there - just about even with stolen bases allowed and runners picked off. I love that part of Buehrle's game. Interesting too that Coop doesn't advocate the slide step. I hadn't heard that before.

Which would explain why his pitchers have such his ERA's at home.

I like Coop, he is a good pitching coach when he isn't looking into the crowd at hot women...hello Don, that is my job!

Jjav829
01-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Will a White Sox player ever win one of these things? Tomorrow is the best pickoff move. Based on the tidbit in this article, Buehrle better win that.

I also love how they set it up so that the last one will be best leader. You know ESPN will give that one to Jeter and let it sit on their main MLB page for two weeks afterwards.

mjmcend
01-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Will a White Sox player ever win one of these things? Tomorrow is the best pickoff move. Based on the tidbit in this article, Buehrle better win that.

I thought Buehrle had a shot at the most durable pitcher since no one has pitched more innings over the last 5 years than him but they do give a good arguement for Livan Hernandez. However I do like the fact that we have 2 of the top 10 pitchers in IP/GS. Pods got the shaft in my opinion on the best basestealer award. They say right in the middle of it:
"Pierre was caught 24 times in 69 tries last year -- a far less successful ratio than Podsednik, who was nabbed just 13 times in 83 attempts." But Pierre's stolen bases were when it counted more? Give me a break. Did his 24 outs also come at time when they didn't matter?

tacosalbarojas
01-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Does it say he doesn't advocate the slide-step at all or the slide-step for Buehrle? Theres no reason for a lefty to use a slide-step because even at the very top of his leg kick, he can still go the other direction with his leg and throw to first base. A righty, however, is committed to home-play as soon as his left leg twitches. And if Coop doesn't advocate the slidestep for righties either, I'd like to know why. Just cause it screws up their timing and location, or is there another reason more specific to holding baserunners? No, he means in general. "I'm not a big proponent of the slide step" is his first comment. Says it compromises a pitcher's stuff and location.

Jjav829
01-27-2005, 06:47 PM
I thought Buehrle had a shot at the most durable pitcher since no one has pitched more innings over the last 5 years than him but they do give a good arguement for Livan Hernandez. However I do like the fact that we have 2 of the top 10 pitchers in IP/GS. Pods got the shaft in my opinion on the best basestealer award. They say right in the middle of it:
"Pierre was caught 24 times in 69 tries last year -- a far less successful ratio than Podsednik, who was nabbed just 13 times in 83 attempts." But Pierre's stolen bases were when it counted more? Give me a break. Did his 24 outs also come at time when they didn't matter?

I think Buehrle would win most durable pitcher as well. Now watch as they say Pettitte has the best pickoff move since he's an ex-Yankee.

bc2k
01-28-2005, 12:32 AM

Just another reason why Buehrle should have already won a Gold Glove. :angry: Not just his pickoff moves, but the reputation of those moves keeping runners close and preventing them from even attempting to steal.

hold2dibber
01-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Just another reason why Buehrle should have already won a Gold Glove. :angry: Not just his pickoff moves, but the reputation of those moves keeping runners close and preventing them from even attempting to steal.

Plus he's dynamite with the glove. The fact that he doesn't have a trunk full of gold gloves is a travesty.

PorkChopExpress
01-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Plus he's dynamite with the glove. The fact that he doesn't have a trunk full of gold gloves is a travesty.

This reminds me of a game last year, I think it was against the Tribe, where someone fired a shot right back at his face, and he nabbed it as he fell backwards. THAT WAS AWESOME!!!