PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the biggest surprise player to come north this spring?

tacosalbarojas
01-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Okay, the roster looks pretty set for now, anyway - until Peapod gets traded and we find a more passable middle infielder who can back up all three positions. But we all know injuries happen, someone goes lights out in spring training (hello Julio Ramirez!) while others don't meet expectations (that'd be you, Joe Borchard).

So who is your pick to be the biggest surprise player to pack his bags in AZ and come north come April 4? Jamie Burke and his singles hitting self? Alex Escobar and his shaky leg? Pablo Ozuna, he of the number four hitting Ozuna's in the Dominican Winter League? Jeff Bajenaru, he of the difficult to spell Bajenaru's? Jason "my dad was a better big leaguer than me" Grilli? Maybe even Kris Honel, Mr. Providence Catholic? Arnie "thank God I never have to pitch in Montreal again" Munoz?

My pick is Burkie, in an upset over Ben Davis. Especially if we don't pick up another middle infielder, Burke can handle backup duties at the third sack.

Chisox003
01-26-2005, 11:37 PM
I really hope its Jamie too, but I dont think it will be ("Big" Ben and his $1 million contract)...Timo is the 4th OF, with Everett, Willie, and Gload (eww) possibilities too, so I can't see Escobar...

Ill go with Arnie, just another lefty out of the pen, plus I think he is going to be pretty good....

Arnie or JB

pearso66
01-26-2005, 11:43 PM
What about willie harris, or joe crede? I think they will both suprise us.

chisox06
01-26-2005, 11:43 PM
I really hope its Jamie too, but I dont think it will be ("Big" Ben and his $1 million contract)...Timo is the 4th OF, with Everett, Willie, and Gload (eww) possibilities too, so I can't see Escobar...

Ill go with Arnie, just another lefty out of the pen, plus I think he is going to be pretty good....

Arnie or JB

Gload gets an eww? I was impressed with the guy last year, being a rookie and all I thought he performed above most expectations, I think he's a great asset for the team.

Personally, I hope Burke gets a shot, for some reason I just really like the guy, and from what Ive seen from him with his limited playing time, hes done well. I know he can play 3rd but Im not sure how capable he is over there. I think Burke would be an asset on the bench, but considering his 3rd on the list with catchers, I dont think we'll be seeing him.

tacosalbarojas
01-26-2005, 11:47 PM

Arnie or JB Jamie is definitely a reach, but that's what this thread's all about!

I'd love to see Arnoldo break camp with the team - I think he's got a lot of potential too. He's supposed to have a hellacious curve which we really didn't see last year in his brief time with the Sox. I think that Expo game killed him.

tacosalbarojas
01-26-2005, 11:49 PM
What about willie harris, or joe crede? I think they will both suprise us. True, they would be surprises, but not a surprise for them to make the team out of spring training. We're talking a Bobby Jenks size (6'3", 270 lbs.) surprise here.

pearso66
01-27-2005, 01:16 AM
True, they would be surprises, but not a surprise for them to make the team out of spring training. We're talking a Bobby Jenks size (6'3", 270 lbs.) surprise here.

my fault, I misread the question, I thought who would be the biggest suprise this year :redface:

JUribe1989
01-27-2005, 09:09 AM
I really hope we get to see a lot more of Wilson Valdez because I believe he is a better fielder and much better baserunner than Willie. I would like to see if he can handle the back-up duties considering he can play second and short.

Gosox1917
01-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Gload gets an eww? I was impressed with the guy last year, being a rookie and all I thought he performed above most expectations, I think he's a great asset for the team.

Personally, I hope Burke gets a shot, for some reason I just really like the guy, and from what Ive seen from him with his limited playing time, hes done well. I know he can play 3rd but Im not sure how capable he is over there. I think Burke would be an asset on the bench, but considering his 3rd on the list with catchers, I dont think we'll be seeing him.

Gload only gets an eww when he is playing the outfield. He was brutal out there if you recall some of the games he played in RF after Magglio got hurt. At first base, and at the plate though, I loved him. Lots of big hits and I hope he keeps on hittin. If someone can teach him to play outfield, then one of the best bench players the Sox have had in recent memory.

Baby Fisk
01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
If it's Joe Crede, I'm going to start making flight plans to Chicago for October. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
01-27-2005, 11:35 AM
If we're trying to pick a dark horse who might make the team, I'd have to go with Escobar. The guy's been hampered by injuries his whole career, but the potential is definately there.

mweflen
01-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Wilson Valdez makes the team as backup IF, Willie gets shipped. Where? As Arnold might say, "Who cares..."

SOXFAN82
01-27-2005, 01:28 PM
http://www.kcmetrosports.com/img/articles/Willie-Harris-CHI-vs-KC.gif" I'M GOING TO BE THE SURPRISE OF COURSE"

tacosalbarojas
01-27-2005, 01:32 PM
If we're trying to pick a dark horse who might make the team, I'd have to go with Escobar. The guy's been hampered by injuries his whole career, but the potential is definately there. Good call, as far as talented fringe guys, I think it's Escobar 1, Jenks 1a. Timo's presence hurts Escobar a lot...especially with how good Timo was when taken in small doses. Clutch.

Ol' No. 2
01-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Good call, as far as talented fringe guys, I think it's Escobar 1, Jenks 1a. Timo's presence hurts Escobar a lot...especially with how good Timo was when taken in small doses. Clutch.Jenks is an extreme longshot. They need to drill some holes in his head and let the demons out first. He'll get a good look in ST, then get sent to the minors to watch him for a while. If Willie gets shipped out, and assuming only 11 pitchers, my money is on Escobar, Valdez, Timo, Gload, Davis for the bench. They need a RH bat on the bench.

tacosalbarojas
01-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Jenks is an extreme longshot. They need to drill some holes in his head and let the demons out first. He'll get a good look in ST, then get sent to the minors to watch him for a while. If Willie gets shipped out, and assuming only 11 pitchers, my money is on Escobar, Valdez, Timo, Gload, Davis for the bench. They need a RH bat on the bench. You know what - if he's healthy, they probably will take Esco. Still I think they really want an extra infielder. Coming with Valdez as the only middle infield backup scares me. I wouldn't be comfortable with that guy starting twice per week to spell the middle infielders. No matter what happens, I'm sure something will come up to surprise us.