PDA

View Full Version : Funny WS reference in SI

Chicago83
01-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Newest issue on page 22.

"White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf underwent an angioplasty. He had a local anesthetic: A tape of Hawk Harrelson during a rain delay."

NSSoxFan
01-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Newest issue on page 22.

"White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf underwent an angioplasty. He had a local anesthetic: A tape of Hawk Harrelson during a rain delay."

That isn't funny. I wasn't aware that they have announcers talking during a rain delay.

SoxSpeed22
01-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Newest issue on page 22.

I'm surprised they mentioned us instead of any of the Fox guys that cover Bears games.

idseer
01-26-2005, 10:02 PM
That isn't funny. I wasn't aware that they have announcers talking during a rain delay.

that's odd ... i think it is VERY funny.

NSSoxFan
01-26-2005, 10:04 PM

how so?:D:

soxwon
01-26-2005, 10:07 PM

i agree, hawk loves talking GOLF during those delays.

SoxFan76
01-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Hawk gets the most crap, yet he is still one of the best. Can't deny that. The pure emotion he puts forth cannot be matched.

MUsoxfan
01-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Every announcer is boring during a rain delay....especially in the middle-late part of the season. There's just nothing you can talk about at length to use as a filler without it being god-awfully boring. But....I still think it's a clever blurb by SI

Soxzilla
01-26-2005, 11:11 PM
That was stupid.

Brian26
01-26-2005, 11:31 PM
It's an ignorant comment that's intended to be a cheapshot against Harrelson, most likely by a national guy who hasn't done his homework.

Here's why:

Anyone who knows anything about White Sox baseball knows that Hawk very rarely, if ever, has to fill time during a rain delay. In fact, I can't remember EVER hearing Hawk try to fill more than a couple of minutes. If the game was being broadcast on Fox Sports Net, they would just send it back to the studio for Melty and Damon Andrews. They might show old highlights or switch to other programming if it was a super long delay. On WCIU, if the tarp came out, they'd switch to the regular nighttime programming schedule (Fresh Prince and King of Queens?). On WGN, they'd sometimes show an old interview or highlight package. Hawk never fills rain delay time like Harry and Steve used to do in the 80's on WGN- where they'd spend 45 minutes running down each divisional race team by team.

NSSoxFan
01-26-2005, 11:34 PM
It's an ignorant comment that's intended to be a cheapshot against Harrelson, most likely by a national guy who hasn't done his homework.

Here's why:

Anyone who knows anything about White Sox baseball knows that Hawk very rarely, if ever, has to fill time during a rain delay. In fact, I can't remember EVER hearing Hawk try to fill more than a couple of minutes. If the game was being broadcast on Fox Sports Net, they would just send it back to the studio for Melty and Damon Andrews. They might show old highlights or switch to other programming if it was a super long delay. On WCIU, if the tarp came out, they'd switch to the regular nighttime programming schedule (Fresh Prince and King of Queens?). On WGN, they'd sometimes show an old interview or highlight package. Hawk never fills rain delay time like Harry and Steve used to do in the 80's on WGN- where they'd spend 45 minutes running down each divisional race team by team.

That is exactly right! Some bonehead from SI is just trying to get a jab in at Hawk. I, for one, actually wish that we CAN hear Hawk during rain delays instead of watching re-runs of shows. The fact of the matter is that if you aren't a Sox fan, you won't appreciate Hawk, unless your a fan of one-liners and good baseball analysis.

Brian26
01-26-2005, 11:40 PM
That is exactly right!

Hell yeah it is. I only deal with facts :D:

OurBitchinMinny
01-27-2005, 12:16 AM
every national writer commenting on the sox, sometimes in a negative way, isnt a shot at you personally. Why do so many people take it so personal? The guy is entitled to his opinion. All rain delays are boring. I like Hawk although I think he has slipped in the last few years. Im also aware that every other market thinks the guy is goofy or a caricature. Ill take hawk over a lot of the bland guys like dick bremer for the twinkies. But Im also not gonna pretend that he is one of the all time greats. Personally if I could listen to rooney every night I would. Hawk is a good guy and no one can question his passion for white sox baseball, but he does get made fun of a lot nationally. But so do a lot of other announcers. I dont take it personally and I dont know why so many sox fans do. If you like him, who cares what anyone else thinks. It was a pretty good line by SI. But name me an announcer outside of bob uecker who would be entertaining during a rain delay

Soxzilla
01-27-2005, 01:07 AM
every national writer commenting on the sox, sometimes in a negative way, isnt a shot at you personally. Why do so many people take it so personal? The guy is entitled to his opinion. All rain delays are boring. I like Hawk although I think he has slipped in the last few years. Im also aware that every other market thinks the guy is goofy or a caricature. Ill take hawk over a lot of the bland guys like dick bremer for the twinkies. But Im also not gonna pretend that he is one of the all time greats. Personally if I could listen to rooney every night I would. Hawk is a good guy and no one can question his passion for white sox baseball, but he does get made fun of a lot nationally. But so do a lot of other announcers. I dont take it personally and I dont know why so many sox fans do. If you like him, who cares what anyone else thinks. It was a pretty good line by SI. But name me an announcer outside of bob uecker who would be entertaining during a rain delay

... No ... it was just stupid.

I got more comedic enjoyment out of that "Why is 6 afraid of 7, because 7, 8, 9" joke.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
01-27-2005, 01:56 AM
thats not funny at all

Mohoney
01-27-2005, 03:00 AM

Here's why:

Right. Hawk and DJ don't talk during rain delays. The U and WGN will play a re-run of sone kind, and Fox Sports used to go to Melton and Damon Andrews, and possibly even cut them off with alternative programming if the delay went really long.

I turn on Wills during rain delays specifically because our TV announcers DON'T talk during delays. If you don't want to sit through a 1994 Fresh Prince episode, Wills is the only option.

Once again, SI has their heads up their asses. Imagine that.

Mohoney
01-27-2005, 03:11 AM

I see what you're trying to say, but I'm not taking anything personal. I could care less what this guy from SI says. What bothers me is the lack of journalistic integrity. This guy is going to print a joke like this, trying to get a laugh at someone else's expense, and he doesn't even know that Hawk doesn't do "rain delay theater." If he had even bothered to find out, he never would have used the joke, because it would have been pointless.

If this guy is going to go out of his way to be cute by poking fun at someone else, IN PRINT, in a national publication as popular as Sports Illustrated, I think the LEAST the guy can do is get the facts straight.

Instead, the guy writes the first thing that pops into his head, because it's a shortcut to actually having to conjure up an intelligent, researched thought.

harwar
01-27-2005, 07:36 AM
I do remember a road game,somewhere out east about 8 years ago,where Hawk DID stay on the air(for quite some time)during a long rain-delay.
However;It was far from boring.
He gave a kind of clinic on how different pitchers that he knew personally over the years held the ball while pitching.I used some of that info to help my nephew with his pitching and it worked very well indeed.
He also told some inside stories about players and coaches and managers that you wouldn't ordinarily hear.

hold2dibber
01-27-2005, 07:41 AM
I see what you're trying to say, but I'm not taking anything personal. I could care less what this guy from SI says. What bothers me is the lack of journalistic integrity. This guy is going to print a joke like this, trying to get a laugh at someone else's expense, and he doesn't even know that Hawk doesn't do "rain delay theater." If he had even bothered to find out, he never would have used the joke, because it would have been pointless.

If this guy is going to go out of his way to be cute by poking fun at someone else, IN PRINT, in a national publication as popular as Sports Illustrated, I think the LEAST the guy can do is get the facts straight.

Instead, the guy writes the first thing that pops into his head, because it's a shortcut to actually having to conjure up an intelligent, researched thought.

Good Lord, people, it wasn't journalism, it was a frickin' joke! You expect someone making a joke to do fact checking and research, etc.? Sheesh.

hold2dibber
01-27-2005, 07:46 AM
I got more comedic enjoyment out of that "Why is 6 afraid of 7, because 7, 8, 9" joke.

If you're going to tell a joke on a highly popular board like WSI, the least you could do is get the facts straight. Your joke seems to imply that the number 7 somehow ingested the number 8, when in fact numbers are just positions in an ordered sequence that correspond to positive integers, and therefore are incapable of ingesting anything! Some people have no integrity.

idseer
01-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Good Lord, people, it wasn't journalism, it was a frickin' joke! You expect someone making a joke to do fact checking and research, etc.? Sheesh.

i think it went over their heads, hold.

throw in the fact that some people seem to be overly sensitive and protective of the hawk.

who knows why? :?:

Gosox1917
01-27-2005, 08:53 AM
I do remember a road game,somewhere out east about 8 years ago,where Hawk DID stay on the air(for quite some time)during a long rain-delay.
However;It was far from boring.
He gave a kind of clinic on how different pitchers that he knew personally over the years held the ball while pitching.I used some of that info to help my nephew with his pitching and it worked very well indeed.
He also told some inside stories about players and coaches and managers that you wouldn't ordinarily hear.

YES! I was about to post that. I think it was in Baltimore when it was still Hawk and Wimpy doing play by play, and they were both telling some great stories. I remember distinctly Hawk showing how to through different pitches and how the ball comes out of a pitchers hand.

Note to SI, if you think Hawk is boring, you've never watched a Sox game before, especially this past season. Hawk screaming YYYYEEEESSSS and CMON TIMO!, c'mon guys do your homework.
:hawk MERCY!

Brian26
01-27-2005, 10:06 AM
throw in the fact that some people seem to be overly sensitive and protective of the hawk.

who knows why? :?:

As a Sox fan, aren't we allowed to be a little extra sensitive when it comes to bashing of anything related to our team? As a Sox fan, you need to lead your life defensively 100% of the time.

idseer
01-27-2005, 10:21 AM
As a Sox fan, aren't we allowed to be a little extra sensitive when it comes to bashing of anything related to our team? As a Sox fan, you need to lead your life defensively 100% of the time.

i see what you're saying.
otoh, i remember harrelson quite distinctly as an a's, bosox, and indians player (who only had one decent year as a pro). throw in the fact that he destroyed our team as a general manager for a number of years and you'll find why i'm not thrilled with him at all.

i can understand someone who only remembers him as a broadcaster liking him tho.

but regardless .... it was a FUNNY COMMENT! :smile:

mjharrison72
01-27-2005, 11:02 AM
I think one positive aspect is Hawk is becoming more of a household name when people think of the Sox. Instead of taking the opportunity to associate JR and the Sox with Magglio (or, God forbid, with the Kubs), they took a good-natured shot at a broadcaster who is becoming synonimous, for better or worse, with Sox baseball. Whether it's common or not anymore, who wants to listen to anybody "fill time" on the air? I like the reference.

rmusacch
01-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Newest issue on page 22.

I have not got my issue yet. Was that in the part with the monologue writer for David Letterman?

rmusacch
01-27-2005, 11:27 AM
I think one positive aspect is Hawk is becoming more of a household name when people think of the Sox. Instead of taking the opportunity to associate JR and the Sox with Magglio (or, God forbid, with the Kubs), they took a good-natured shot at a broadcaster who is becoming synonimous, for better or worse, with Sox baseball. Whether it's common or not anymore, who wants to listen to anybody "fill time" on the air? I like the reference.

I agree. It is a friggin joke.

mweflen
01-27-2005, 11:31 AM
SI columnist makes ill-informed jab about Sox personality...
:whocares

SOXFAN82
01-27-2005, 11:41 AM
http://www.savannahnow.com/features/playball/images/part2/harrelson1.jpg "I HATE IT WHEN THEY SAY THAT"

Brian26
01-27-2005, 12:07 PM
I agree. It is a friggin joke.

It's a joke that MAKES NO SENSE.

A.) Hawk doesn't fill time during rain delays, as I've already established.

B.) IF he did fill time, he'd be one of the most entertaining guys to ever do it. Hawk can tell old stories and bull**** with the best of them. I'd sit in front of my tv and listen to Hawk spin the yarn about the glory days for hours on end. The guy is a fountain of entertaining stories and information.

C.) Of all of the bland, generic, robotic, wanna-be jock broadcasters on tv nowadays, from the regional to the national scene, how anyone can take a jab at the colorful Hawk Harrelson as being "boring to listen to" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's an asinine comment- not because he tried to insult Hawk, but because it's an uneducated, ignorant comment. If he replaced Hawk's name with DJ, maybe it would make sense.

Brian26
01-27-2005, 12:11 PM
otoh, i remember harrelson quite distinctly as an a's, bosox, and indians player (who only had one decent year as a pro)

And that makes any difference towards his abilities as a White Sox broadcaster going into his 16th straight year and 20th season overall? Give me a break.

RichFitztightly
01-27-2005, 01:05 PM
If you're going to tell a joke on a highly popular board like WSI, the least you could do is get the facts straight. Your joke seems to imply that the number 7 somehow ingested the number 8, when in fact numbers are just positions in an ordered sequence that correspond to positive integers, and therefore are incapable of ingesting anything! Some people have no integrity.

Now this was funny.

The original joke needed Paul Schaeffer to hit the keyboard while Letterman adjusted his tie 45 times to fill the silence and transition into a new joke. I don't see why everybody is getting their panties in a bunch over a joke that was never even mildly amusing on any comedic level.

Mohoney
01-27-2005, 02:36 PM

If it's printed in a national publication with a readership as large as SI's, then yes I do.