PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi Scouting Report

ohiosoxfan
01-26-2005, 03:39 PM
I know a guy that has managed in Japan for the past two seasons and asked him for a scouting report on Iguchi- here's what he had to say:

"He is a plus runner and I tink he will steal bases there. He will be limited to 2b due to lack of arm strength- he might be able to get away with an occasional game at 3b but I wouldn't want to put him there everyday."

"He CAN HIT!!! He will have some American adjustments to make but this guy shows the ability to adjust. He has pop and seems to be a hard worker. I couldn't stand him coming to the plate because he always hurt us. Another thing I didn't like was that he seemed to be selfish or his own stats. He stole 2b one night against us up 7 runs in the 7th innings with their ace pitcher on the mound mowing us down. That didn't set well with me at all- as you can imagine. But- over here- they are not as in tune with the unwritten gamemanship rules as we know them. So he will have to have someone explain a few things to him with those regards."

soltrain21
01-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Stealing a base with a huge lead? I like it.

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
That kind of thing is encouraged.

npdempse
01-26-2005, 04:09 PM

I still think that kind of thing is bush, but it is becoming increasingly common.

Tekijawa
01-26-2005, 04:16 PM
All I want to know is he the one guy on this team that won't be afraid to take a catcher out at home instead of try to run around him an get tagged out like EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS TEAM?

Randar68
01-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I still think that kind of thing is bush, but it is becoming increasingly common.

Stat-padding has become the American Way in baseball. It means big $$$ in contracts and everyone knows it.

SaltyPretzel
01-26-2005, 04:35 PM

I would have totally agreed with you 20 years ago. But I think this is becoming increasingly common because no lead is really safe anymore in today's game.

Randar68
01-26-2005, 04:36 PM
I would have totally agreed with you 20 years ago. But I think this is becoming increasingly common because no lead is really safe anymore in today's game.

The only time people really back off is if the opposing manager swaps out all his stars for scrubs, and even that is rare because that's a common time for the studs to pad their own stats in losing efforts and blow-outs...

Whitesox029
01-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Yeah as long as our players don't hate him I don't care. I have the same attitude about AJ.

darklord23
01-26-2005, 05:11 PM
gotta love someone who wants to win by alot :D:

batmanZoSo
01-26-2005, 08:50 PM

That's the Willie Mays Hayes generation coming into play. "I don't care what the score is, I need my stats...I gots to get paid!"

elrod
01-27-2005, 12:53 AM
I once gave myself a compound fracture in my left wrist sliding into second whlie stealing with a 17-4 lead. I was 14 years old. And very stupid.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-27-2005, 01:09 AM
One of the big questions on the previous Iguchi-related threads has been "Can he still play a little shortstop to spell Uribe now and then?" The consensus has been mostly "NO." But this scouting report says we might be able to count on Iguchi playing an occasional game at 3B...does this mean we can stop looking for a backup option at SS?

BTW, I've been addicted to this web site for over a week, and this is my first post. I feel right at home with the rest of you Sox-obsessed fans!

OurBitchinMinny
01-27-2005, 01:20 AM
One of the big questions on the previous Iguchi-related threads has been "Can he still play a little shortstop to spell Uribe now and then?" The consensus has been mostly "NO." But this scouting report says we might be able to count on Iguchi playing an occasional game at 3B...does this mean we can stop looking for a backup option at SS?

BTW, I've been addicted to this web site for over a week, and this is my first post. I feel right at home with the rest of you Sox-obsessed fans!

Probably not. They will probably carry valdez if they can fit him somehow. You need a stronger arm for SS than you do for 3B.

California Sox
01-27-2005, 01:57 AM

I agree. And a lot of times it's not the stat-padder who suffers the conseuences, it's the guy batting behind him who gets drilled. That said, if Iguchi can hit, all else will be forgiven. :cool:

WinningUgly!
01-27-2005, 02:05 AM
I've been addicted to this web site for over a week, and this is my first post. I feel right at home with the rest of you Sox-obsessed fans!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/winningugly/WELCOME.JPG

Shorty1983
01-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Hey your lucky, my first post I didn't get greeted with a standing ovation. This is my only source for baseball I rely on, not even ESPN gets the inside scoop like these guys here.

Fredsox
01-27-2005, 06:40 AM
I am not certain that Iguchi is "stat-padding" or if his behavior is somehow a reflection of some selfish motivations. We need to understand that they have a very different culture and his behavior may not at all be considered offensive. Shingo will help him adjust, and he'll emulate the behavior of his team mates. He's 30 years old, not a kid by any stretch.