PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi article from November 2003-I likey!

SoxxoS
01-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Under the radar (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2001780095_mari01.html)

But even as the Matsui drama plays out, an intriguing alternative is emerging. Earlier this week, Tadahito Iguchi, a shortstop and second baseman for the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks, met with the team's president and asked to be put up for bid to American teams.

For instance, Matsui is a free swinger who strikes out a lot 124 times in 140 games this season. Iguchi only struck out 81 times. Iguchi also had a far better on-base percentage (.438 to Matsui's .365) and a better slugging percentage (.573 to .549).

Lookin good KW!

:KW
"shhhh."

longshot7
01-26-2005, 12:01 PM
good find. thanks!

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Good, now I have some stats to back up my arguements against Cub fans telling me that since Kazuo Matsui was a bust, Gucci will be too.

Tekijawa
01-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Good, now I have some stats to back up my arguements against Cub fans telling me that since Kazuo Matsui was a bust, Gucci will be too.

That's wen you say... since your team was a bust last year does that mean that you'll be a bust again this year? Especially considering that your team is worse this year?

SoxxoS
01-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Looking at that article...the Mets gave that much money to Kaz...and his OBP was .365 IN JAPAN? Are you kidding me?

The Mets ruin the market for everyone because they are morons. Luckily, Iguchi didn't have many other options for whatever reason...but there was a reason his agent wanted "Kaz" money.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-26-2005, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=SoxxoS]Under the radar (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2001780095_mari01.html)

Wow...great find. I bow to your oversized brain.

chisox06
01-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Luckily, Iguchi didn't have many other options for whatever reason...but there was a reason his agent wanted "Kaz" money.

Thats something I cant really understand about this signing. The reason why I thought we were out of the running is because we only offered him about 2 mil a year, its surprising that any other team didn't outbid the sox (some teams could have done this very easily) for this guy, he seems like a stud and we got him at a bargain price.

Brian26
01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
This could turn out to be one of the most unbelievable moves of KW's tenure. I thought the Colon trade was highway robbery, but this might beat that. We'll see.

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2005, 12:30 PM
This could turn out to be one of the most unbelievable moves of KW's tenure. I thought the Colon trade was highway robbery, but this might beat that. We'll see.

Refresh me memory, who was given up in the Colon deal?

SoxxoS
01-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Refresh me memory, who was given up in the Colon deal?

Rocky Biddle, Jeff Liefer and Orlando Hernandez (who we got from the Yankees). It was a 3 team trade.

Flight #24
01-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Thats something I cant really understand about this signing. The reason why I thought we were out of the running is because we only offered him about 2 mil a year, its surprising that any other team didn't outbid the sox (some teams could have done this very easily) for this guy, he seems like a stud and we got him at a bargain price.

This is the only thing that worries me too. However, I haven't seen anythign to indicate that other teams thought he wasn't worth this type of deal, just that he wasn't worth $7mil/yr.

So it seems more likely that the Sox got him similarly to how they got AJP - waited out the market until the demands came down. At that point, enough teams had filled their holes at 2B (or C in AJ's case), that the choice was the Sox for the same or less money, but with more guaranteed PT. In Iguchi's case, the presence of Shingo and his comments about the transition, org, & city being great probably factored in as well.

It's sort of the flipside to the Boras/Beltran-Houston scenario. Sox waited it out, and had they lost the battle, would have had to go with Davis & Harris. but they won the battle and ended up with great values, and got them on multi-year deals to boot.

tacosalbarojas
01-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Indeed, good article. Seems like I saw some stats from last year which showed a higher strikeout rate for Iguchi-san, though. I cannot quote them verbatim, or remember where I saw it. Anyone have any more information on that?

chisox06
01-26-2005, 12:49 PM
This is the only thing that worries me too. However, I haven't seen anythign to indicate that other teams thought he wasn't worth this type of deal, just that he wasn't worth $7mil/yr.

So it seems more likely that the Sox got him similarly to how they got AJP - waited out the market until the demands came down. At that point, enough teams had filled their holes at 2B (or C in AJ's case), that the choice was the Sox for the same or less money, but with more guaranteed PT. In Iguchi's case, the presence of Shingo and his comments about the transition, org, & city being great probably factored in as well.

It's sort of the flipside to the Boras/Beltran-Houston scenario. Sox waited it out, and had they lost the battle, would have had to go with Davis & Harris. but they won the battle and ended up with great values, and got them on multi-year deals to boot.

All good points. That seems to be one of the most popular strategies for middle to lower market teams to get competitive players.

rmusacch
01-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Rocky Biddle, Jeff Liefer and Orlando Hernandez (who we got from the Yankees). It was a 3 team trade.

We also lost Antonio Osuna and a minor leaguer named Delvis Lantigua when we traded them to NY to get El Duque in that trade.

DaleJRFan
01-26-2005, 12:53 PM
... and got them on multi-year deals to boot.

Isn't the AJP deal a one-year??

Brian26
01-26-2005, 12:54 PM
We also lost Antonio Osuna and a minor leaguer named Delvis Lantigua when we traded them to NY to get El Duque in that trade.

Right, so essentially we gave up:

Osuna, Leifer and Biddle for Bartolo Colon.

Highway robbery, like I said. Kudos to KW.

anewman35
01-26-2005, 12:56 PM

It is, but he's not eligible for free agency until after 2006, so he's ours again if we want him.

rmusacch
01-26-2005, 12:58 PM

Yes it is but we will probably have him for at least two years as he is not eligible for free agency until after the 2006 season.

rmusacch
01-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Right, so essentially we gave up:

Agreed on that one.

Flight #24
01-26-2005, 01:04 PM

Damn that idiot KW stripping our farm system!!!!

:redneck

A. Cavatica
01-26-2005, 02:55 PM

I love the Iguchi signing, but please stop giving KW credit for the Colon trade. It's common knowledge that the Yankees basically gift-wrapped him for us so that he wouldn't end up in Boston. All KW had to do is sign on the dotted line...

34 Inch Stick
01-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Is anyone a little concerned over the number of times this team will strike out next year?

wsbaseball9
01-26-2005, 05:33 PM
iguchi is stud
ichiro should just bow down to him now as the best japanese player

Randar68
01-26-2005, 06:23 PM
I love the Iguchi signing, but please stop giving KW credit for the Colon trade. It's common knowledge that the Yankees basically gift-wrapped him for us so that he wouldn't end up in Boston. All KW had to do is sign on the dotted line...

:whatever:

Common knowledge out in Area 51 for some of you.

nodiggity59
01-26-2005, 06:45 PM

If Beane did the same thing, many would call it his "small market genious" and "ability to be creative" that got the job done. Call it whatever you want, we got a lot for a little. I really don't care who was involved. The Yankees would've gift wrapped for any old team, KW was the one who took advantage. That alone is great.

HoustonAstros967
01-26-2005, 06:49 PM
I think iguchi is gonna get the starting job at second. I think hes gonna become a fan favorite, much like Shingo. Pre-order your jerseys now cause they are gonna be sold out soon!

santo=dorf
01-26-2005, 06:56 PM
If Beane did the same thing, many would call it his "small market genious" and "ability to be creative" that got the job done. Call it whatever you want, we got a lot for a little. I really don't care who was involved. The Yankees would've gift wrapped for any old team, KW was the one who took advantage. That alone is great.

I imagine if KW traded for Kendall this offseason using the same package as Beane did, these same people would be refusing to give him credit.

If KW did it: "It's common knowledge that the Pirates were desperate to get rid of Kendall and his huge contract."

Beane doing it: "WOW!!! What a genius! He basically gaveup nothing to get Kendall!"