PDA

View Full Version : Who do you see as the most underrated player on this team right now?

Takatsufan
01-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Who do you think is the most underrated member of this team right now?

mcfish
01-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Willie Harris. Everyone wants to ride him out of town, but they don't care that he was playing hurt 1/2 the year. He needs to show improvement, especially in baserunning skills, but I don't understand why no one sees any potential at all in him.

nccwsfan
01-25-2005, 09:10 PM
I don't know if I'd call him underrated, but I looking for Pierzynski to have a solid year and become a fan favorite- a player that you'd love to have on your team and you'd hate to go against.

depy48
01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
iguchi, since no one knows what to expect from him or
jermaine dye, because i can see him having a monster year

Whitesox029
01-25-2005, 09:29 PM
iguchi, since no one knows what to expect from him or
jermaine dye, because i can see him having a monster year
I agree with Dye in that everyone thinks he will be injured all year. He may well have a whole year to play, you never know.

Jurr
01-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Dye is probably the winner of this one hands down. Nobody's even mentioning him because he has been getting hurt the past couple of years. He could be HUGE this year.

The honorable mention is Carl Everett. He has been getting a bum rap because of his injuries, but two years ago he was an All-Star. If he is in shape, he could be big time for the Sox. Most people are considering him to be a bench guy that's just filling in for Frank. We may end up having to make room for Carl, if he comes out like he did in '03.

OEO Magglio
01-25-2005, 09:30 PM
I'll say Dye, out of all the offseason acquisitions he seems to be the forgotten one and I fully expect Jermaine to hit 30 and 100 this year.

HomeFish
01-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Timo Perez. He is a joy to watch.

Realist
01-25-2005, 09:38 PM
I hope Crede is the most underrated player on the team. If he breaks out we're liable to win a whole bunch of games.

Norberto7
01-25-2005, 09:39 PM
In the national media sense, I'd say pretty much anyone who can play on this team, aside from Frank, is underrated given the attention (or lack thereof) they get. But I'd say the most underrated is Aaron Rowand. Not by people in the know here, but for a .310 hitting centerfielder with power, it's not a name you hear much about.

Perhaps at the plate we are overlooking Neal Cotts. A 1.000 hitter last year, 2.000 slugging percentage. Barry who? Get the kid some at bats.

konerko1413
01-25-2005, 09:39 PM
joe crede, he plays great defense and although he hasnt etablished himself as a hitter, he is right on the verge of a break out year, i think he could be the future 5 hitter in the sox line up

also, im lookin for dye to be awesome in comisky (it will always be comisky to me) not only will he hit better, but he has good enough speed to be very helpful defensively in the smaller park, i would love to see the sox in a shift where dye covers the line, rowand shades toward the right side of the outfield and podsednik playing straight in left, will uribe and a combo of iguchi/harris goin back for bloopers, it will be very hard to have a ball drop in our outfield

lths06
01-25-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm thinking the fan favorite, John Garland. With much less pressure at the 5 hole, I can see him having a very good year (or at least much better than we all thought he would.)

chisox06
01-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Considering it's the sox there are a ton of candiates at least on the national sense. Take Magglio Ordonez for example, put up monster numbers for years and was a relative unknown nationally. I would vote for Dye, if he stays healthy he can have a monster year. Honorable mention to Aaron Rowand.

OEO Magglio
01-25-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm thinking the fan favorite, John Garland. With much less pressure at the 5 hole, I can see him having a very good year (or at least much better than we all thought he would.)
What team does John Garland play for?? :tongue:

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Jose Contreras. Not a big surprise though coming from the media, he got ruffed by the Red Sox quite a few times last year, so that must mean he'll always be bad, right? It seems like everyone has written the guy off(except for us sox fans) just because of a bad stretch he had in 2004 before getting banished by the yankees. He wasn't bad in 2003 and he pitched some great games for the sox last year.

Tragg
01-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Shingo.

Everyone holds their breath - he doesn't throw like a closer. But he finishes off games.

Tell the truth, Foulke wasn't exactly vintage closer either.

Billy Koch was vintage.

FightingBillini
01-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Hmmm, there are so many...

Garland - in the top 20 in AL pitchers in pretty much every stat, he will do fine as a #5

Contreras - When he is on, he is lights out. If they can get him to stop tipping his pitches, and he mixes up the pitches more, he will have a great year. I think he will win 18 games.

Everett - last year was an abomination. He was fat and out of shape. He couldn't run, and he didnt hit as good as in 2003. Carl is in great shape now, and he will have a very good year. He is normally good defensively (though not great), he is a clutch bat, and he is a swtich hitting veteran with power. That trade will look better and better as the year goes on.

Vizcaino - He is really good. Most people think of him as a throw in to make the Lee deal look "less lopsided", but he is a stud.

Dye - While the Cubune likes to call him "injury riddled" he is not. He had two unrelated freak injuries. When he has been healthy, he is one of the top outfielders in the game. He will be healthy this year. He is also a former gold glover with a cannon.

Gload - People talk about how horrible he is defensively, and base it on the errors he made in right. While those were horrible mistakes, you can't blame him because he is a first baseman. He is great defensively at first. Not only that, but if he has a left handed bat, and was a great pinch hitter last year.

santo=dorf
01-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Contreras, Garcia and Hermanson.

Some Sox fans have developed a nasty habit of believing "If they're on the Sox, they just can't possibly be any good." :bs:

Nick@Nite
01-26-2005, 04:48 AM
Some are equating underrated with underachieving.

Crede and Willie have underachieved.

Buehrle is underrated.
He's anchored the Sox pitching staff for the last four seasons. His ERA has been below 4.00 for three of those four seasons and has averaged 16 wins over the same period. Buerhle has got little national attention in the process.

SpammySosa
01-26-2005, 06:14 AM
But I'd say the most underrated is Aaron Rowand. Not by people in the know here, but for a .310 hitting centerfielder with power, it's not a name you hear much about.

That's because his breakout year was just last year. He still has to establish himself beyond one year before he is going to receive more accolades,which I believe he will do.

wsbaseball9
01-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Iguchi and Dye
dye is gunna have a monster year not a doubt in my mind

ja1022
01-26-2005, 08:43 AM

Crede and Willie have underachieved.

Buehrle is underrated.
He's anchored the Sox pitching staff for the last four seasons. His ERA has been below 4.00 for three of those four seasons and has averaged 16 wins over the same period. Buerhle has got little national attention in the process.

Bingo.

I would add that Rowand isn't underrated. He has had one solid season and is largely unknown outside of Chicago. That's not quite the same as underrated.

ja1022
01-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Iguchi and Dye
dye is gunna have a monster year not a doubt in my mind

Who is underrating Iguchi? He's never played an inning in the Major Leagues yet he just signed a contract worth close to $5 million. If anything, he may be overrated.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Konerko, because too many people here are ready and willing to trade him at the drop of a hat. Ordoņez & Lee are gone, Frank is on the DL, and people still want to ship PK out. Crazy. Where's the respect?! Here's to another 40+ HR season. :thumbsup:

34 Inch Stick
01-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Marte. He was not as good last year as he was in 03 but he was still a very solid middle reliever. I don't think the league underates him as his name seems to come up in every trade that is offered.

mjharrison72
01-26-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Juan Uribe. With all the talk a couple months ago about the "hole" we had at short and all the options on the free agent market, everyone here seems really comfortable with Uribe at short, and up until the Iguchi signing, many were anticipating Uribe would hit second. Yes, he slumped a little bit last year, but I think Juan is poised for a phenomenal season, and I think he's a perfect example of the Sox "flying under the radar" this year. Nobody is going to expect the kind of numbers he's capable of putting up.

mcfish
01-26-2005, 10:03 AM

Crede and Willie have underachieved.Willie hit .300+ before he got hurt last year. Maybe Willie did underachieve for the second half of last year, but if you listen to people around here, he has no value whatsoever. They would ship him off in the first deal that came up. And he snubbed a few people at the bar at Sox Fest, so now he has attitude problems and there's no way he could possibly be a good baseball player anymore. Before Iguchi was signed, many were clamoring for Alex Cora to be signed. Cora had a good year last year and his BA was within .001 of Willie and had what, 8 more home runs? What an improvement. He's underrated because he is still valuable to this team, especially as a backup plan for an unproven rookie second baseman.

Crede on the other hand never got over .250 last year. Not once. I hope he breaks out and has a great year, but he is most certainly overrated here. Especially his defense. He might even be above average, but he isn't going to be winning any gold gloves any time soon, despite what you may hear here.

mdep524
01-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Most underrated nationally: Buehrle, definitely. This guy still doesn't get the respect he deserves, I hope he makes the All Star team this year.

Most underrated at WSI: Dye. He kind of gets lost in the shuffle of AJ, Iguchi, El Duque and the rest of the Sox acquisitions, but I think Dye is capable of a big year, and he has a great glove.

mjharrison72
01-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Most underrated at WSI: Dye. He kind of gets lost in the shuffle of AJ, Iguchi, El Duque and the rest of the Sox acquisitions, but I think Dye is capable of a big year, and he has a great glove.
I think Dye's underrated as well... a common theme here seems to be claiming guys who have a history of injury problems are underrated. I'm afraid we're banking on too many guys having completely healthy years. That said, though, I think Dye had been overshadowed by other star outfielders since his days in KC.

rdivaldi
01-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Most underrated nationally: Buehrle, definitely. This guy still doesn't get the respect he deserves, I hope he makes the All Star team this year.

If he pitches at his usual excellent level he will, as Torre finally won't be picking the squad.

HebrewHammer
01-26-2005, 10:37 AM
I've got to go with Aaron Rowand, he'll be the reason we won't miss Magglio.

mcfish
01-26-2005, 10:46 AM
If he pitches at his usual excellent level he will, as Torre finally won't be picking the squad.But he really didn't deserve to go to the All Star Game because he had a bad game against the Yankees.

slavko
01-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Willie. Most overrated? Tony Graffanino. Sorry, I thought he was back from reading all these stupid posts.

rdivaldi
01-26-2005, 10:59 AM
But he really didn't deserve to go to the All Star Game because he had a bad game against the Yankees.

Exactly. I can't believe the way Torre would snub him year after year.

rdivaldi
01-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Willie. Most overrated? Tony Graffanino. Sorry, I thought he was back from reading all these stupid posts.

AHHHHHH. My eyes!

:tealpolice:

bludupree
01-26-2005, 11:48 AM
My Dad ran into KW after work last week and talked to him for a bit. He said the 2 biggest surprises would be Dye and Crazy Carl. That was before the Iguchi pickup

SoxxoS
01-26-2005, 11:52 AM
My Dad ran into KW after work last week and talked to him for a bit. He said the 2 biggest surprises would be Dye and Crazy Carl. That was before the Iguchi pickup

Does your dad post on here as ChiSoxTony?

I think the most underrated has got to be Dye. He obviously needs to stay healthy, but nobody is talking or thinking much about him outside of Sox fans. Gload is actually underrated (never thought I would say that) he just needs to do what he did at the end of last season when it counts.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2005, 11:53 AM

I'm wary of posts that begin with "My dad ran into KW after work last week and talked to him...", but anyway, I'd love to see Crazy Carl become a surprise clutch performer this season (if he can get off that Marlon Brando diet plan).

Does your dad hang around airports? :cool: There have been more "claimed" sightings of KW at airports than Elvis this winter.

MRKARNO
01-26-2005, 12:32 PM
The whole team except for Konerko and Garcia.

tacosalbarojas
01-26-2005, 12:57 PM
If he pitches at his usual excellent level he will, as Torre finally won't be picking the squad. Was Francona with us when Mark was in our system? Otherwise, if Francona snubs him, Mark's underrated q level will approach Billy Pierce like heights.

popilius
01-26-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Juan Uribe. With all the talk a couple months ago about the "hole" we had at short and all the options on the free agent market, everyone here seems really comfortable with Uribe at short, and up until the Iguchi signing, many were anticipating Uribe would hit second. Yes, he slumped a little bit last year, but I think Juan is poised for a phenomenal season, and I think he's a perfect example of the Sox "flying under the radar" this year. Nobody is going to expect the kind of numbers he's capable of putting up.

I completely agree with your assessment of Uribe. I really think he's going to come through with a very solid year at the plate and on the field. He's also an exciting player to watch.

:gulp:

duke of dorwood
01-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Posednik-the guy steals 70 bases and leads off-very overlooked in the era of home runs

rdivaldi
01-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Was Francona with us when Mark was in our system? Otherwise, if Francona snubs him, Mark's underrated q level will approach Billy Pierce like heights.

Nope, he missed Mark by quite a few years. Francona was with Birmingham from 1993- 1995.

Isn't great that we promoted Bev to coach instead of him?

tacosalbarojas
01-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Nope, he missed Mark by quite a few years. Francona was with Birmingham from 1993- 1995.

Isn't great that we promoted Bev to coach instead of him? Thanks rdivaldi - I was pretty sure that was the case. And thanks for ruining my lunch with the Bev mention! God, I hated that guy. BTW - I'm sort of new here, what are the rules and regs for using the teal font?

rdivaldi
01-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks rdivaldi - I was pretty sure that was the case. And thanks for ruining my lunch with the Bev mention! God, I hated that guy. BTW - I'm sort of new here, what are the rules and regs for using the teal font?

Teal = sarcasm
Deep pink = wishful thinking

I think that's right, one of the mods will be here soon to rip me to shreds if I got that wrong.

depy48
01-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Who is underrating Iguchi? He's never played an inning in the Major Leagues yet he just signed a contract worth close to $5 million. If anything, he may be overrated.

iguchi can land on either side, over rated or under rated. my thinking here is that how much of league and other fans know about him like we do?
we've been tracking this guy since early December, so we've had the time to run background on him. thats why i think he can step in and make a splash without anyone noticing.

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Underrated every day player = Rowand. No one in the world has any clue who this guy is except the people on this board, and he is going to make us forget about Maggli-who? Ordenez.

Underrated pitcher = Buehrle. Best pitcher on our staff for years now, most people can't even pronounce his name.

Iwritecode
01-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Willie hit .300+ before he got hurt last year. Maybe Willie did underachieve for the second half of last year, but if you listen to people around here, he has no value whatsoever. They would ship him off in the first deal that came up. And he snubbed a few people at the bar at Sox Fest, so now he has attitude problems and there's no way he could possibly be a good baseball player anymore. Before Iguchi was signed, many were clamoring for Alex Cora to be signed. Cora had a good year last year and his BA was within .001 of Willie and had what, 8 more home runs? What an improvement. He's underrated because he is still valuable to this team, especially as a backup plan for an unproven rookie second baseman.

Crede on the other hand never got over .250 last year. Not once. I hope he breaks out and has a great year, but he is most certainly overrated here. Especially his defense. He might even be above average, but he isn't going to be winning any gold gloves any time soon, despite what you may hear here.

Willie had one good month where he was over .300.

I think the problem is that he has the least value and can't play SS. They still need someone that can be a utility infielder and back-up 2nd, 3rd and short. If Willie could do that it would be great but if they find somebody else that can, he'd be the odd man out.

Also, I've never used his actions off the field to judge his play on the field...

Nick@Nite
01-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Willie hit .300+ before he got hurt last year. Maybe Willie did underachieve for the second half of last year, but if you listen to people around here, he has no value whatsoever.

The talk around here is that in a 50 yard dash, Willie would make the Roman God Mercury look like Paul Konerko legging out a triple. :wink:

Crede on the other hand never got over .250 last year. Not once.
Sounds like he's underachieving. :cool:

mjharrison72
01-26-2005, 03:31 PM

I think the problem is that he has the least value and can't play SS. They still need someone that can be a utility infielder and back-up 2nd, 3rd and short. If Willie could do that it would be great but if they find somebody else that can, he'd be the odd man out.

Also, I've never used his actions off the field to judge his play on the field...
If we need a backup SS, move Iguchi there from 2B and put in Harris. Bum shoulder or not, I'm sure he can turn the DP as well as, if not better than, Valentin. I think Harris is still a little underrated, and I don't think they should trade him.

Iwritecode
01-26-2005, 03:41 PM
If we need a backup SS, move Iguchi there from 2B and put in Harris. Bum shoulder or not, I'm sure he can turn the DP as well as, if not better than, Valentin. I think Harris is still a little underrated, and I don't think they should trade him.

Jose has a cannon for an arm that helped him turn DP's rather quickly.

Iguchi just had shoulder surgery not too long ago and moved to 2nd from short because of it. I don't know if they will trust him to be the primary backup for Uribe.

Plus, who backs up Crede?

mcfish
01-26-2005, 04:46 PM
The talk around here is that in a 50 yard dash, Willie would make the Roman God Mercury look like Paul Konerko legging out a triple. :wink: So he's both overrated and underrated at the same time. His speed may be overrated, but he is definitely a better hitter than what people here give him credit for.

Sounds like he's underachieving. :cool:And overrated. I never said Crede was underrated - I think he is the most overrated player on the Sox right now. He really needs to step up this year, because apparently no one cares enough to get a backup option for the automatic out we have playing third.

mcfish
01-26-2005, 04:49 PM

Also, I've never used his actions off the field to judge his play on the field...If you can find the all important utility infield backup who can hit .300 and play any position in the infield, then fine, let Willie go. Until then, we have no other backup plan for a player who has never seen a pitch for an MLB starter. I think Iguchi will succeed, but we need Harris at least until that's known for sure.

jerry myers
01-26-2005, 06:55 PM
contreras could be big he has the talent.

Ol' No. 2
01-26-2005, 09:00 PM
That's because his breakout year was just last year. He still has to establish himself beyond one year before he is going to receive more accolades,which I believe he will do.What is this "establish himself beyond one year" stuff I keep hearing? When has Rowand NOT hit above .300?

2001: Rookie year, hit .293. Just missed .300, but not bad for a rookie
2002: Sparse playing time first half. Most young player don't do well without regular time. Hit something like .380 after Lofton traded.
2003: Hurt out of ST. Hit well over .300 from when he returned from rehab on.
2004: Turned in a .310 for the season.

So to recap, he hit below .300 in his rookie year (just missed), when he had little playing time, and when he was injured (true for anyone). But when he's healthy and had regular playing time he's hit above .300 for three straight years. In 2005 he's not going to be a rookie anymore and he's certainly going to get regular playing time. He's probably the surest bet on the team.

FGarcia34
01-26-2005, 09:09 PM
I have to go with Juan Uribe. He was by far one of my favorite players on the team last season. He had a bit of a drought at the plate and has an unorthodox swing, however you cannot deny this guys abilities. He is easily as talented as Orlando Cabrerez (sp?). He is my personal picks the click for the season. This guy will not only play majority of the games this season, but he will play 3B, SS, and 2B. He can hit leadoff, in the 2 hole, and in the 7,8,9 spots. I fully expect Juan to hit in the .270's with around 20 home runs and 70 driven in. Those are very solid numbers for any shortstop. He has an amazing arm and if we can just work on his range and speed a little bit, this guy could be a Miguel Tejada type player...just wouldnt quite have the same power. I love Uribe and expect him to emerge has a big contributor this season.

Honorable Mention: Carl Everett. This guy has been working very hard and is going to give up 5 options in the outfield with Willie as a possible option as well. i love this Sox team!!!

GO JUAN 2005!!!

SoxBoy14
01-26-2005, 09:31 PM
I have to go with Juan Uribe. He was by far one of my favorite players on the team last season. He had a bit of a drought at the plate and has an unorthodox swing, however you cannot deny this guys abilities. He is easily as talented as Orlando Cabrerez (sp?). He is my personal picks the click for the season. This guy will not only play majority of the games this season, but he will play 3B, SS, and 2B. He can hit leadoff, in the 2 hole, and in the 7,8,9 spots. I fully expect Juan to hit in the .270's with around 20 home runs and 70 driven in. Those are very solid numbers for any shortstop. He has an amazing arm and if we can just work on his range and speed a little bit, this guy could be a Miguel Tejada type player...just wouldnt quite have the same power. I love Uribe and expect him to emerge has a big contributor this season.

Honorable Mention: Carl Everett. This guy has been working very hard and is going to give up 5 options in the outfield with Willie as a possible option as well. i love this Sox team!!!

GO JUAN 2005!!!

I agree definitely. Some fans have been saying that the only hole left to fill is the ss but I think Uribe is totally capable of being a great starting short stop. Like you mentioned earlier he had a great batting avg and stats last year and also played pretty good defense. He can make the double play ball and tag out the runner on a pick-off.

I'm giving props to Uribe:cool: