PDA

View Full Version : Columnist Gig with the White Sox

DaleJRFan
01-25-2005, 05:29 PM
I am not sure where this would go in the different forums, so if I am posting this in the wrong respective area, please forgive me and move to the correct area... With that said....

I was surfing on the MLB.com site today and came upon a banner advertisement on the Tigers web site for Job Openings with Major League clubs. I searched for gigs with the Sox and found one that some of the posters here would (depending on formalities such as degree types, etc) qualify for based on their game knowledge, team love, and analytical skills.

I think it would rock for a WSI-er to get a job with the White Sox organization as a whitesox.com columnist.

Give it a whirl!

Edit: it truncated the URL so here's the linkie (http://jobsearch.mlb.careers.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=24554845&AVSDM=2004%2D12%2D09+09%3A43%3A29&Logo=0&col=dlt&cy=&brd=5835&lid=28754&fn=&q=)

Hangar18
01-25-2005, 05:32 PM
qualify for based on their game knowledge, team love, and analytical skills.

I think it would rock for a WSI-er to get a job with the White Sox organization as a whitesox.com columnist.

Give it a whirl!

I dont see GM anywhere in the listings .......

cubhater77
01-25-2005, 10:53 PM
i get my com. degree in may. i will gladly apply.

lths06
01-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Does anybody know about what the salary is for this kind of job? I ask this because I am thinking of a career in beat writing / journalism.

chisoxmike
01-26-2005, 08:27 PM
I applied for that and the stats stringer job in November. Still haven't heard from them. :?:

batmanZoSo
01-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Does anybody know about what the salary is for this kind of job? I ask this because I am thinking of a career in beat writing / journalism.

Not a lot I'm sure. Nothing in the area of writing pays a lot. Unless you write screenplays, novels that sell, or that kinda thing. I think a beat writer for a newspaper makes about 30,000 on average. And you generally need a master's just to get the job. So something like that probably pays even less.

lths06
01-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Not a lot I'm sure. Nothing in the area of writing pays a lot. Unless you write screenplays, novels that sell, or that kinda thing. I think a beat writer for a newspaper makes about 30,000 on average. And you generally need a master's just to get the job. So something like that probably pays even less.

I know even screenwriters make very little $ (less than high school teachers on average.) That's the one bad thing about a career in writing.

tacosalbarojas
01-26-2005, 10:21 PM
I know even screenwriters make very little $ (less than high school teachers on average.) That's the one bad thing about a career in writing. So true about the pay. It's a very difficult profession to crack. I've been a local stringer for a few years now, and it's most definitely my second job. Pay wouldn't begin to cover the weekly grocery bill. In fact, the best thing to do if you really want in sports writing is to get with (or better yet create) a site like this one. The web is the way to go. Newspapers are becoming a relic.

Soxzilla
01-27-2005, 12:15 AM
I know even screenwriters make very little $ (less than high school teachers on average.) That's the one bad thing about a career in writing.

I know a writer on the Chappelle show who makes 350,000 dollars a year ... minimum.

TDog
01-27-2005, 12:16 AM
... And you generally need a master's just to get the job. ....

Teachers need to get master's degrees to continue teaching in most states, but I've never seen a mainstream newspaper writing job that requires a master's degree. Journalists I know of who hold post-graduate degrees have nothing to do with sports.

Honestly, do baseball beat writers impress you as scholars?

Soxzilla
01-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Teachers need to get master's degrees to continue teaching in most states, but I've never seen a mainstream newspaper writing job that requires a master's degree. Journalists I know of who hold post-graduate degrees have nothing to do with sports.

Honestly, do baseball beat writers impress you as scholars?

I would use a pic of Jay Mariotti right now ... but it would just be TOO easy.

NSSoxFan
01-27-2005, 12:23 AM
I know a writer on the Chappelle show who makes 350,000 dollars a year ... minimum.

That would not surprise me, especially with the huge contract Dave signed this past summer. I don't believe there are to many writers though, as he tends to write most of his skits.

tacosalbarojas
01-27-2005, 12:25 AM

Honestly, do baseball beat writers impress you as scholars?True, as it may be that beat writers aren't magna cum laude, most writers in the sports sections of your major dailies around here went to Medill at Northwestern and paid their dues for a long time (K.C. Johnson for example, the Bulls beat guy for the Trib, started out as a high school staffer). And then those guys never give up those jobs.

Just don't ask me to explain how Mariotti got (and keeps) his job.

Banix12
01-27-2005, 01:31 AM
I think just Masters degrees in general just seem to get you in the door better, does it make you better? That's debatable. Nowadays with so many people going to college and a glut of people running around with Bachelors Degrees, the Bachelors Degree has been reduced in its importance and impact on employers when trying to get a job. A Masters just sets you apart from the group and shows that you spent more money and time on your education so you are probably pretty serious about the career you are seeking.

Either way you still gotta pay your dues out in some Podunk town and work your way up to the big jobs like Mariotti's. Now yes, how Mariotti keeps that job is the mystery. Right up there with the lost city of Atlantis.

santo=dorf
01-27-2005, 01:47 AM

You'd think they would get that money if they actually wrote material that was funny.

Soxzilla
01-27-2005, 02:05 AM
You'd think they would get that money if they actually wrote material that was funny.

I find it quite enjoyable.

santo=dorf
01-27-2005, 02:12 AM
I find it quite enjoyable.

Go get the In Living Color DVD's.

They're more entertaining and original.

Soxzilla
01-27-2005, 02:38 AM
Go get the In Living Color DVD's.

They're more entertaining and original.

Wasn't that the show with Queen Latifah and Damon Wayans.

I'll pass.

santo=dorf
01-27-2005, 02:45 AM
Wasn't that the show with Queen Latifah and Damon Wayans.

I'll pass.

Queen Latifah was a musical guest once. But yes, Damon Wayans was on the show doing his "Anton Jackson" bit more than a decade before Dave was doing his "Tyrone" act, and Keenan Ivory Wayans was doing his "Frenchie" character way before Chappelle decide to impersonate Rick James.

Add Jamie Foxx, David Allen Grier, Tommy Davidson, and Jim Carrey and you have material that is still hilarious 15 years later.:gulp:

BainesHOF
01-27-2005, 03:05 AM
Speaking in a real general sense, sports writers covering high school sports in this market can make over $50,000 a year, college/pro beat writers can make more than $75,000 and columnists more than $100,000.

Soxzilla
01-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Speaking in a real general sense, sports writers covering high school sports in this market can make over $50,000 a year, college/pro beat writers can make more than $75,000 and columnists more than $100,000.

I cover junior college sports and I make 9 bucks an hour!:cool:

EDIT - I'm thinking of something else Santo. I believe it was sitcom with those guys, that aired around time when "MARtin" and "Hangin' w/ Dr. Cooper" were popular. Can't say I remembered what it was called.

It doesn't get any better than Mo' Money, when it comes to the wayans.:redneck

ewokpelts
01-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Not to veer BACK on topic, but I think the Sox gig is part-time, pays per article, and you get free tickets to the games you cover. I'd go for it...

Gene

mjharrison72
01-27-2005, 10:31 AM
That's definitely the exception.
You'd be lucky if the Sox columnist job paid $100 a week, because at that rate, there are still hundreds of people just as talented as you who would be willing to do it for free. I'm so glad I decided not to major in journalism... I wish I would have picked a real major instead of some stupid liberal arts crap, but what are you gonna do?

mjharrison72
01-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Oh, and when I worked at a newspaper once, they had a saying on the wall about journalism:

"The pay is horrible and the hours are bad, but at least everybody hates you."
Something like that...

pudge
01-27-2005, 03:04 PM

Those salaries seem way high to me - I understand you CAN make that much if you're at it for a long time and very popular, but I doubt those numbers are the norm.

BainesHOF
01-27-2005, 03:24 PM
They're the norm for experienced writers for the dailies around here.

MushMouth
01-27-2005, 03:28 PM

True* - this is why I didn't go into beat writing out of college. I was literally shocked by the job opps out of college. Covering high school sports for a very small town paper etc etc...

* - larger city papers beat writers make a good living. Not a lot of those jobs tho, tough market.

pudge
01-27-2005, 04:50 PM
They're the norm for experienced writers for the dailies around here.

I guess that's fair considering Chicago is one of the biggest markets, and I'm probably thinking of salaries from about 10 yrs ago when I left college.