PDA

View Full Version : Possible backup SS options?

cbrownson13
01-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Anyone think Deivi Cruz would be a decent backup? He put up pretty decent numbers in 127 games last year. I'm not sure what the price on him would be, just throwing out a name.

OEO Magglio
01-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Anyone think Deivi Cruz would be a decent backup? He put up pretty decent numbers in 127 games last year. I'm not sure what the price on him would be, just throwing out a name.
Deivi resigned with the Giants.

FightingBillini
01-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Umm, Im digging deep here.

Mike Mordecai?

In his career he has played every position accept pitcher. Most of his games have come at SS, 3B. and 2B. He his a horrible hitter (lifetime .245), but he did pretty good defensively at every position he played.

balke
01-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I think Iguchi is our back-up. With Timo as far depth of 2B. Sucks we pretty much have 4 2B this year, but I'm sure Uribe will be fine. Maybe if it becomes a problem, someone will be there midseason

Ol' No. 2
01-25-2005, 05:11 PM
I think Iguchi is our back-up. With Timo as far depth of 2B. Sucks we pretty much have 4 2B this year, but I'm sure Uribe will be fine. Maybe if it becomes a problem, someone will be there midseasonI don't think there's much point in scraping the bottom of the barrel to see if there's anything still alive down there. Wilson Valdez is better than a lot of the other options I've heard. Wait until ST. Valdez or Ozuna may shock you in ST. If not, someone else may have a guy they can't fit on their roster and is out of options (that's how they got Damaso Marte). Utility IF are usually not in scarce supply.

Foulke You
01-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Wait until ST. Valdez or Ozuna may shock you in ST. If not, someone else may have a guy they can't fit on their roster and is out of options (that's how they got Damaso Marte). Utility IF are usually not in scarce supply.

I agree, there is no sense throwing money at a guy just for the hell of it. As No.2 said, Valdez or Ozuna could step up in ST to claim the spot. I seem to remember a non-roster invitee named Toca who is another infielder that could be in the mix for that spot. Let those 3 guys fight it out for the backup role and then nab Graffanino at the deadline if those guys don't work out.:cool:

ondafarm
01-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Wilson Valdez

soltrain21
01-25-2005, 05:37 PM
I think Iguchi is our back-up. With Timo as far depth of 2B. Sucks we pretty much have 4 2B this year, but I'm sure Uribe will be fine. Maybe if it becomes a problem, someone will be there midseason

Uribe's natural position is SS, and he is damn good at it, too.

wmusox9
01-25-2005, 05:45 PM

Timo at 2B,Timo is left handed if im not mistaken, that would be interesting watching him throw the ball to 1st and be out a runner! I think after signing Iguchi were ready to head to Tuscon and do some serious damage.
Go Sox

balke
01-25-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't know why I thought I'd seen him play second. So i guess it's just dransfeldt and Valdez for infield duties? yuck. I'm still confident the infield is okay for now.

cbrownson13
01-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Deivi resigned with the Giants.

Really? How long ago? I was looking here http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents?positionId=6 and it says he is still a free agent.

OEO Magglio
01-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Really? How long ago? I was looking here http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents?positionId=6 and it says he is still a free agent.
Ya, it was sometime in November but espn never picked up on it for some reason.

MRKARNO
01-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Wilson Valdez

I agree. No reason to spend the money on someone who probably wouldnt be better than someone in our system like Valdez.

balke
01-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Uribe's natural position is SS, and he is damn good at it, too. Hopefully. He's gotta be better than the stache. I wish he would've had more playing time at short last season. I liked him at 3rd, SS, and 2B. And has a cannon. Will be he an elite SS do you think? He would definitely be an elite 2B IMO.

Gosox1917
01-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Umm, Im digging deep here.

Mike Mordecai?

In his career he has played every position accept pitcher. Most of his games have come at SS, 3B. and 2B. He his a horrible hitter (lifetime .245), but he did pretty good defensively at every position he played.

I believe he retired this post-season and is now a manager of one of the Marlins single A teams. Also, if anyone is thinking Larkin, it looks like he may retire as well, http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050125&content_id=934576&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp.

I'd love to see Willie traded for Tony G as mentioned in several other threads, but if that does not happen, I can live with Willie, Valdez, Timo, Gload, and possiblely Burke on our bench.