PDA

View Full Version : ...and the Delgado Winner is...

Baby Fisk
01-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Florida!

Delgado is a Marlin: 4 years / $52 Mil Linky! (http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spdelgado0126,0,2103166.story?coll=nyc-sports-headlines)

Aftershocks:

The Mets already are talking again about Sammy Sosa, whom Minaya has wanted since the day he was named GM in September, and they have been looking into the health of rehabbing outfielder Magglio Ordoņez.

The Sosa deal is complicated and there will be competition for Ordoņez. The Orioles, now having lost out on Delgado, are expected to become involved in the talks for Ordoņez along with the Tigers, Cubs and Rangers.

The Mets also would have to clear an outfield spot if they signed Ordoņez, trading either Mike Cameron or Cliff Floyd, and then would need someone to play first base. Free agents John Olerud and Travis Lee are likely candidates, and Boston's Doug Mientkiewicz is available via trade.

The Mets figured Delgado would cost about the same as pairing Ordoņez with a first baseman, and that's why jumped up from last Thursday's three-year offer of $33 million.

ja1022
01-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Look for the Mets to have increased interest in Maggs now (more than Sosa), even with his suspect knee and no DH.

NSSoxFan
01-25-2005, 04:45 PM
This is going to have a huge domino effect.

Jjav829
01-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Good for the Marlins.

Pierre
Castillo
Cabrera
Delgado
Lowell
Lo Duca

That's a scary 1-6. :o:

Clembasbal
01-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Delgado will once again be a fantasy feast!

OEO Magglio
01-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Florida has one heck of a team down there as long as Mota can close.

SOXintheBURGH
01-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Must have been the open letter the fans at www.marlinbaseball.com (http://www.marlinbaseball.com) wrote to him.

siugrad25
01-25-2005, 05:05 PM
As a poster of MarlinsBaseball.com and fan of the Marlins behind the White Sox (of course!), this is a great day for the Marlins franchise. Sure Delgado comes with some injury concerns stemming from last season, but if he stays healthy this year, that line up is incredible. Even w/o him the line up is stacked. I only wish I still lived down there to watch that team on a night-by-night basis. But then again, I'm pretty content being back in Chicago and able to watch a pretty good Sox team on the South Side.

soltrain21
01-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Great news for the Marlins! Now here is hoping Maggs signs with the Mets!

longshot7
01-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Good for the Marlins.

Pierre
Castillo
Cabrera
Delgado
Lowell
Lo Duca

That's a scary 1-6. :o:

Agreed. They're gonna be awesome, especially if they can get some pitching. I picked 'em in the NL East before Delgado signed, and now they look even better. Congrats Fish!

MRKARNO
01-25-2005, 06:41 PM
:maggs
"Does this mean someone will give me a 52-million dollar contract?"

HomeFish
01-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Frick. If this means that the Mets get Sosa, then Florida better be ready to kick some blue and red behind in the playoffs again.

OEO Magglio
01-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Frick. If this means that the Mets get Sosa, then Florida better be ready to kick some blue and red behind in the playoffs again.
:?: Cause Cliff Floyd would be such an upgrade over shamme.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
:?: Cause Cliff Floyd would be such an upgrade over shamme.
:D:
And then once Cliff Floyd gets injured, the cubs won't have to worry about choosing between Dubois and Hollandsworth because they'll both be able to start and make up the crappiest OF in the MLB! :bandance:

Clembasbal
01-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Must have been the open letter the fans at www.marlinbaseball.com (http://www.marlinbaseball.com/) wrote to him.

I went on that site for the first time since the end of last year, and noticed a lot of people trash talking Whitesoxinteractive.com...I think they are really jealous.:neener:

marlins03
01-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Fish fan here im so happy we got Delgado he should be a great addition to this team. btw thanks for all your nice comments sox fans.

samram
01-25-2005, 09:56 PM
I went on that site for the first time since the end of last year, and noticed a lot of people trash talking Whitesoxinteractive.com...I think they are really jealous.:neener:

No kidding. I saw one thread on there which rates other teams' fansites. First, they listed "the other" Sox fan site in their first list. Then, when someone mentioned WSI, some guy calling himself Capefish declared us "evil nazis", and others proclaimed us "lemmings.":rolleyes:

OurBitchinMinny
01-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Isnt 4 years 52 million overpaying for delgado? And arent the marlins supposed to be cash strapped? But they have a solid club, as long as delgado is better than he was last year.

SOXintheBURGH
01-25-2005, 11:07 PM
No kidding. I saw one thread on there which rates other teams' fansites. First, they listed "the other" Sox fan site in their first list. Then, when someone mentioned WSI, some guy calling himself Capefish declared us "evil nazis", and others proclaimed us "lemmings.":rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that same guy was trolling round these parts following the Koch trade.

Tragg
01-26-2005, 12:14 AM
I pray that no one takes Sosa off their hands; I'm predicting an Oriole or old Metseqsque year for the Cubs, and losing Sosa would ruin my plans.

Plus it would increase the chances of Magglio ending up there.

The horror. The horror.

Baby Fisk
01-26-2005, 09:29 AM

Heh Heh. IIRC, Capefish was a guy who couldn't figure out why everyone at WSI was thrilled to get rid of Billy Koch. He thought it was great to be getting Koch and started getting mad when everyone here said: "YOU CAN KEEP HIM SUCKER! BEST OF LUCK, HAR HAR!" Finally, he started getting pissed off and ornery, so the Mods depantsed and humiliated him and other "Marlins Fans Gone Wild". A memorable day at WSI! I wonder what he thinks of the Koch deal now. *snickering* :cool:

gosox41
01-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Look for the Mets to have increased interest in Maggs now (more than Sosa), even with his suspect knee and no DH.

I hope so. I want Sosa right where he belongs...on the northside.

Why the Mets would want Sosa is beyond me unless they want to add another overpriced, declining veteran to a team that sucked last year.

I'd be happy if Magglio went to NY just so he could beat up on the Cubs.

Bob

Baby Fisk
01-26-2005, 09:34 AM
I hope so. I want Sosa right where he belongs...on the northside.

Why the Mets would want Sosa is beyond me unless they want to add another overpriced, declining veteran to a team that sucked last year.

I'd be happy if Magglio went to NY just so he could beat up on the Cubs.

Bob

I like the Mets and spend some time on one of their fan sites too. A lot of their fans DESPISE the idea of bringing Shammy to NY, but GM Omar has some kind of obsession with getting him. It's very possible that despite all their "huge" off-season acquisitions, the Mets could totally implode and finish last, which would suck. :(:

gosox41
01-26-2005, 12:02 PM
I like the Mets and spend some time on one of their fan sites too. A lot of their fans DESPISE the idea of bringing Shammy to NY, but GM Omar has some kind of obsession with getting him. It's very possible that despite all their "huge" off-season acquisitions, the Mets could totally implode and finish last, which would suck. :(:

It may force someone to write a sequel to 'The Worst Team Money Can Buy.'

Bob

Ol' No. 2
01-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Headline in Cubune today:

Marlins hook Delgado; let dominos fall

I made a mental bet with myself as to how long before they managed to turn this into a Cubs story. First sentence - 16 words.

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Headline in Cubune today:

Marlins hook Delgado; let dominos fall

I made a mental bet with myself as to how long before they managed to turn this into a Cubs story. First sentence - 16 words.

:hawk
Mercy.

HoustonAstros967
01-26-2005, 07:45 PM
I think the Mets are gonna go get Magglio. Even tho its a bad move cause hes probably more fit as a DH because he may not be 100%. They'll put him in left and he'll get hurt again two months into the season halthing their unstoppable domination of other teams and they'll finish 3rd in the division.