PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Sox= 2001 Mariners?

Bobby Thigpen
01-25-2005, 02:13 PM
I've been thinking this for a few days, but the Iguchi signing just further cements my opinion that KW has been assembling this club much in the same manner that the 2001 Mariners were. The Mariners had recently gotten rid of ARod and Griffey going into the 2001 season and had used the money to sign many role players. Especially in need positions. The Sox lost Maggs and traded CLee and in exchange got Hermanson, El Duque, Posednik, Vizcaino, Iguchi, Dye, and AJ. I don't know if this team will win 116 games, but I would definitely say that the 2005 Sox remind me of how that Mariners team was assembled. I only hope that if they win 116 games they finish the season more positively than those Mariners did.

HITMEN OF 77
01-25-2005, 02:29 PM
I've been thinking this for a few days, but the Iguchi signing just further cements my opinion that KW has been assembling this club much in the same manner that the 2001 Mariners were. The Mariners had recently gotten rid of ARod and Griffey going into the 2001 season and had used the money to sign many role players. Especially in need positions. The Sox lost Maggs and traded CLee and in exchange got Hermanson, El Duque, Posednik, Vizcaino, Iguchi, Dye, and AJ. I don't know if this team will win 116 games, but I would definitely say that the 2005 Sox remind me of how that Mariners team was assembled. I only hope that if they win 116 games they finish the season more positively than those Mariners did.

Do we have to bring up the Mariners? I HATE the Mariners.:mad:

Palehose13
01-25-2005, 02:31 PM
If the Chicago White Sox win more than 100 games in 2005 I(ph13) will...

It's open for discussion and from those of you know about the SoxFest dare know that my word is good. Let's keep it clean, ladies and gents. :wink:

Dadawg_77
01-25-2005, 02:32 PM

Well with Pods and Garcia, Kenny might be trying to aquire that team.

pudge
01-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Dude, you need to chill, because this is not a 100-win team.

Possibly the biggest distinction is that the Mariners played small ball in a pitcher's park. They also had gold-glove defenders all over the field.

OurBitchinMinny
01-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Well with Pods and Garcia, Kenny might be trying to aquire that team.

Posednik wasnt on the 2001 mariners. I dont see this team coming close to 100 wins. They can win the division, but i dont think they will set an all time win record. Id say anywhere from 83-94 wins and anywhere from 1st to 3rd in the AL central

Dadawg_77
01-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Posednik wasnt on the 2001 mariners. I dont see this team coming close to 100 wins. They can win the division, but i dont think they will set an all time win record. Id say anywhere from 83-94 wins and anywhere from 1st to 3rd in the AL central

He had a cup of coffee with them.

Tekijawa
01-25-2005, 02:40 PM

Pods was on that team for 5 games....

WhiteSoxFan84
Dude, you need to chill, because this is not a 100-win team.

Possibly the biggest distinction is that the Mariners played small ball in a pitcher's park. They also had gold-glove defenders all over the field.

Look at that 2001 Mariners and tell me they were a 100-win team.

Even if you say it just to prove your point, they weren't. Look at how they did in the playoffs.

That being said, I'd rather have the Sox win 95 games and make it to the World Series or at least the ALCS rather than win 116 games and lose in the first round.

Oh and by the way, slowly the "2005 AL Central Champion Chicago White Sox" predictions are getting out of control. We've been there before WSI Nation. Let's not get too ampted up about preseason moves.

OurBitchinMinny
He had a cup of coffee with them.

my bad I thought he was a rookie 2 years ago. Maybe he just didnt get enough ABs in seattle to use up his rookie status

WhiteSoxFan84
01-25-2005, 02:42 PM

Mark my words; either the Twins or the Indians will not finish over .500. Only one of them will.

OurBitchinMinny
01-25-2005, 02:44 PM

Even if you say it just to prove your point, they weren't. Look at how they did in the playoffs.

That being said, I'd rather have the Sox win 95 games and make it to the World Series or at least the ALCS rather than win 116 games and lose in the first round.

Oh and by the way, slowly the "2005 AL Central Champion Chicago White Sox" predictions are getting out of control. We've been there before WSI Nation. Let's not get too ampted up about preseason moves.

I agree. We have gotten better for the most part, but I dont think the twins have gotten much worse and the indians are gonna be better. Twins have joe mays back, a great 1-2 punch in santana and radke. They may miss koskie, but he was hurt a lot last year. I think they are better off without guzman. He has a lot of talent, but is not smart on the field. Plus he doesnt use his speed enough. Mauer is back healthy. The Indians have a pretty solid staff and their young players are another year older. Ive predicted sox division wins since 2001 and have lost lots of money betting with my twin fan friends. Im not betting this year. The sox have repeatedly let me down. Maybe if I pick the twins to win the division, the sox will. Reverse psychology

OurBitchinMinny
01-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Mark my words; either the Twins or the Indians will not finish over .500. Only one of them will.

They both will be over .500. The AL Central is no longer the worst division in baseball. The tigers will be a little better too, but not .500

Bobby Thigpen
I'm not saying they're going to win X number of games. I'm just comparing how the two teams were assembled. Both had lost major stars of the team that they weren't supposed to be able to replace and replaced them with people to fill needs.

Can the Sox win 116 games? I doubt it, but not many people thought the Mariners would either. I like the makeup of this team, and should they catch fire early who knows? This is still the American League Central people.

ja1022
I think one of those need positions the Mariners filled that year was 2nd base, and I think Bret Boone had a break out year for them. That was Ichuro's first year also, wasn't it? Time for Crede to break-out and if Gooey-son could hit .290-.300 and............

doublem23
01-25-2005, 03:05 PM

They were (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/2001.shtml).

Regular season and post-season are different monsters.

Iwritecode
01-25-2005, 03:05 PM

It's open for discussion and from those of you know about the SoxFest dare know that my word is good. Let's keep it clean, ladies and gents. :wink:

Buy me a pair of tickets to the ALDS.

:D:

soxfan26
01-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Id say anywhere from 83-94 wins and anywhere from 1st to 3rd in the AL central

83-94 wins? Don't go making any bold predictions on us now... :cool:

I have to say I agree with you. My inner optimist is saying this is a 90 win ballclub right now. But predicting the number of games they will win is a fruitless endeavor. Especially with a team that has been the best in the division on paper but unable to deliver for the last few seasons.

NonetheLoaiza
01-25-2005, 03:18 PM
It's an interesting point. Will this team win 100 games? Probably not. The Mariners had an amazing run that year, one that doesn't happen every year. However, in the way that the two teams were assembled, they do look very similar. Now that the lineup is all but complete, I am feeling good about a 90 win season. Although the White Sox fan in me is cautiously optimistic, I think they can win that many. It's just a matter of bringing it all together, having luck on your side, few key injuries, etc. So, we'll see.

SoxFanTillDeath
01-25-2005, 05:06 PM
KW can model whoever he wants if it produces a winning team...

SpammySosa
01-25-2005, 05:17 PM

No offense, but saying "you da man" wasn't THAT monumental. Lay off of Sammy's steroids,they're giving you a big head.

Palehose13
01-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Buy me a pair of tickets to the ALDS.

:D:

You're a funny guy. :tongue:

No offense, but saying "you da man" wasn't THAT monumental.Lay off of Sammy's steroids,they're giving you a big head.

Easy there killer, don't hate cause they didn't use your words on the front page of the Sox website. :wink: I was hoping to get a little fun going with people saying what they would do (or think of things for others to do) if the Sox win 100 games (kinda like the head shaving dares). I don't think that they will and I'd be pleased with 90.

Jerko
01-25-2005, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't do anything if the Sox won 100 games. Win the WS and then I'll think of something (I'm greedy)

mweflen
01-25-2005, 05:50 PM

Run onto the field. I dare you.

Kidding.

How about take a fan shower in October? But they probably close it off.

Palehose13
01-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Run onto the field. I dare you.

Kidding.

How about take a fan shower in October? But they probably close it off.

Yikes. That's something! Brrrrrrrrr...

You got the idea. :wink:

SpammySosa
01-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Easy there killer, don't hate cause they didn't use your words on the front page of the Sox website. :wink:

Actually they DID. I told my wife that the Sox had signed Iguchi. Later on I go to whitesox.com and lo and behold...

All joshing aside, I thought it was cool they quoted you because it summed up what a lot of us Sox fans felt and was a nice contrast to the way we felt and expressed the previous SoxFest.

nccwsfan
01-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm not saying they're going to win X number of games. I'm just comparing how the two teams were assembled. Both had lost major stars of the team that they weren't supposed to be able to replace and replaced them with people to fill needs.

Can the Sox win 116 games? I doubt it, but not many people thought the Mariners would either. I like the makeup of this team, and should they catch fire early who knows? This is still the American League Central people.

Thig, I would agree that the two teams are somewhat similar, but there was an earlier post that was on the mark- Seattle plays in a pitchers park and USCF is a big time hitter park. But the team philosophy/strategy looks to be the same.

Palehose13
01-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Actually they DID. I told my wife that the Sox had signed Iguchi. Later on I go to whitesox.com and lo and behold...

All joshing aside, I thought it was cool they quoted you because it summed up what a lot of us Sox fans felt and was a nice contrast to the way we felt and expressed the previous SoxFest.

LOL...so did you tell your wife "Report!" :wink:

Ok now, Valpo boy (I lived in NW IN for awhile) what will YOU do if the Sox win 100 games?

Jerko- Whenever the Sox win the WS, all bets are off. I will just get drunk and do all sorts of stupid things. Hmmmmm...on second thought, maybe I should do something different for that occasion! :o:

SpammySosa
01-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Ok now, Valpo boy (I lived in NW IN for awhile) what will YOU do if the Sox win 100 games?

You mean after I crap a brick and have a heart attack? Like others have said 100 wins won't mean anything-unless of course we are talking 88 reg. season victories + 12 post season. :bandance: I tell you what....if the Sox win a hundred I will wear a t-shirt at next year's SoxFest that says "Kenny Williams Is My HERO.":D:

pudge
01-26-2005, 12:23 AM

Consider this, the year before, they won 90+ and were two games away from the World Series. I realize they lost A-Rod, but they gained Boone.

Let's see the Sox win 90 and a playoff series before comparing them to a 116 win team.

Hokiesox
01-26-2005, 12:29 AM
I think they're looking more like the 2003 Marlins. Speed on the basepaths, and pitchers who did OK in previous spots given a fresh start in a new town and have the chance to be dominant. Lots of younger guys too.

kingpin_rcs
01-26-2005, 01:33 AM
...unless of course we are talking 88 reg. season victories + 12 post season....

It only takes 11 victories in the post season (3+4+4) to win a WS but you still have a point. Regular season victories mean diddly squat in October (ok, except for home field advantage, yada yada yada)