PDA

View Full Version : Camden Yards area

D. TODD
01-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I bought tickets for the Sox/Orioles series at the end of July. I was curious to know if any one has been to camden Yards, and if so do they have any suggestions for hotels, restaurants, or nightclubs, near the ballpark.

ChiSoxRowand
01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
I went there last year. The inner harbor is only a few blocks away where they have a bunch of restaurants, they have an ESPNzone there. Short walk.

SaltyPretzel
01-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I bought tickets for the Sox/Orioles series at the end of July. I was curious to know if any one has been to camden Yards, and if so do they have any suggestions for hotels, restaurants, or nightclubs, near the ballpark.

Babe Ruth's house is pretty close. If you like crab, try this place: http://www.obryckis.com/obr/stores/1/index.cfm. It's not in the best neighborhood, but the food was great. Just take a cab.

ewokpelts
01-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Babe Ruth's house is pretty close. If you like crab, try this place: http://www.obryckis.com/obr/stores/1/index.cfm. It's not in the best neighborhood, but the food was great. Just take a cab.
Ruth's boyhood home is also the orioles museum....

Gene

thepaulbowski
01-25-2005, 12:26 PM

It is worth it to take a trip throught the Babe Ruth museum. There is some interesting stuff in there. There are plenty of places to eat and drink around the park and in the inner harbor. I highly suggest a place called Mo's if you like crab cakes. It is a little out of the way, but not too far. When I was in Baltimore for the ND/Navy game a few years ago, half of the Ravens defense was in there eating. If you don't like crab cakes you could hit the Pizzera Uno or the Cheescake factory on the inner harbor. :cool:

http://baltimore.diningguide.net/data/d100228.htm

southpaw40
01-25-2005, 12:26 PM
I've been several times, and as a personal choice, I always stay at a hotel in the Towson, MD area, which is approximately 10-15 miles from Camden Yards. The hotel prices are half (in some cases) when compared to hotels surrounding the ball park, and the drive isn't difficult at all. There is ample parking surrounding the park, and after the game, the police do a good job of emptying the downtown area of traffic.
You can go on-line and do a google search for "Loch Raven Boulevard" and choose from a lot of hotels. I have stayed at the Ramada Inn on Loch Raven Boulevard, and recommend it. It's clean and conveniently located. There are many restaurants and bars located within walking distance of the Ramada (be prepared for a lot of fanatical O's fans!) I particularly enjoy the Raven Inn Lounge, which is located about two blocks from the hotel (being from the south, I was shocked when they asked me if I wanted gravy on my french fries the first time I was there!)
The drive from the hotel to the park isn't difficult after you've done it a time or two. Baltimore is easy to navigate through, with major streets running one way both to and from the park from the Towson area.
Once you've reached the park, be prepared for a great experience! Camden Yards is a great place to watch the Sox, and they usually play well there. It's located a few blocks from the Inner Harbor, which has many fine bars and restaurants.
I really enjoy seeing the Sox play in Camden Yards, and I'll bet you will too. Hope this has helped a little. And I hope you enjoy the games.:smile:

Tekijawa
01-25-2005, 12:32 PM
I stayed at the Mariott in the inner harbor, saw the O's Play Texas, and I know the Rangers Stayed there. It's a little pricey though!

mjharrison72
01-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Depending on how long you plan to stay, whether you're renting a car, etc., I would also suggest maybe staying in the DC area. Hotels are a little more expensive, but there really is a lot more to do. And you could maybe check out a Nationals game as well.
AS far as Baltimore, the inner harbor area is the best for nightlife, and I don't think it's far from the park (which is a really great ballpark, BTW), but I always just take public transit to and from the games and lay my head in DC.
That's my little plug for Washington... if you haven't been, it's worth a trip.
-M

whitesoxwilkes
01-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Make sure to get your drink on at the Wharf Rat, just a few blocks from the Yards by one of the parking lots.

I also highly recommend taking the Camden Yards tour...for $7 you get to see the press box, the scoreboard operator's room, the luxury boxes (really nice), their version of the Stadium Club and Club Level and the visitors' clubhouse.

ewokpelts
01-25-2005, 02:23 PM
If you're looking at a hotel, call and ask them if they offer shuttle service to the ballpark. When I went toe the 2002 ASG, I had a room right off teh illinois/Wisconsin Border. The hotel offered shuttle service to the ballpark, despite it being 35 miles from Miller Park.. Saved us alot of money in parking fees and saved even more in hassles...

Gene

soxfan26
01-25-2005, 02:38 PM
I was curious to know if any one has been to camden Yards, and if so do they have any suggestions for hotels, restaurants, or nightclubs, near the ballpark.

The inner harbor is a great place, make sure you take a trip through the mall and watch the kids making fudge. As for reasturants, just a few blocks from the inner harbor is Little Italy. Chiapparelli's (http://www.chiapparellis.com/) is my favorite, but there are plenty of Italian places if that is what you are looking for. For Dessert don't miss Vaccaro's (http://www.vaccarospastry.com/locations.jsp) pastry shop in Little Italy. They have Italian Ices, Gellato and pastries galore!

I'll be there for one of the games. Right now I'm trying to convince my wife that the Sunday afternoon game would be a great way to spend our first anniversary.

I've been several times, and as a personal choice, I always stay at a hotel in the Towson, MD area, which is approximately 10-15 miles from Camden Yards. The hotel prices are half (in some cases) when compared to hotels surrounding the ball park, and the drive isn't difficult at all.

Staying in the inner Harbor is quite expensive. I've stayed several places over the years and can't really reccomend one over the other. Just search for the best hotel deal you can find that is a quick cab ride from the park.

Doobie148
01-25-2005, 03:10 PM
We were in Baltimore a couple summers ago and had a blast! You have to check out the area called "Fells Point". Something like 100 bars and restaurants in a six block area. http://www.fellspoint.us/barseateries.html. We ate at Crabby Dick's, Bertha's - great food! For drinks we went to Max's on Broadway, Wee Peters Pub, and the Green Turtle. Max's has a cigar bar upstairs if you're into that.

You can take a water taxi from the Inner Harbor (near Camden Yards) to Fell's Point. That's the easiest way to get around if you don't want to drive everywhere.

Be prepared for it to be really hot and humid. I thought Chicago was bad in the summer!

D. TODD
01-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all of the info, I will defiantly put it to good use. Sounds like we will have very little problem finding a Good time after the games. Let's just hope the Sox make the games as rewarding.

dickallen15
01-25-2005, 05:11 PM
You can get a 4 star hotel room on the Inner Harbor for under $100 a night on priceline.com. You have a lot of time, but I would bid $85 a night on a 4 star Inner Harbor and if that gets rejected, do it again every few weeks. You will get a room if you eventually work it up to $100 but $85 may do the trick, and you may even do better by getting the Rennissance which is where the White Sox stay.

nccwsfan
01-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Plenty of good hotels within walking distance to Camden, plenty of restaurants and bars in between that walk, and as others have said take a tour of the Babe Ruth Museum.....look forward to seeing you out there in July!

Did anyone else visit Camden last season? There was a good group of White Sox faithful that made the trip, IMO. Cannot wait!!!

DC Sox Fan
01-26-2005, 10:14 AM
I was up there for the Elo disaster. Always make at least 1 game a year. Glad it's back to being on a weekend this time around! I was surprised at how many Sox fans were there. Of course we had a great turnout in 2000 when we were rolling, but it was kinda thin the past couple years, up until last year.

Can't add too much advice on the area that hasn't been listed already, but Downtown Sports Exchange (DSX) is a good dive bar just a couple blocks away that has cheap brews, great crab soup, and on they often open up the patio area in front, as well as the balcony upstairs for weekends. Fun to watch everyone walking by going to the game.

If you take the water taxi, make sure you know where teh lifevests are. There was a tragedy this past year where one flipped over in a squal...

kraut83
01-26-2005, 11:08 AM
I was down for the E-Lo mess last year as well, and I've gone to at least one game when the Sox are in town each year. I agree with DC on going th the DSX before the game. There's also a good place next door but I don't remember the name of it. If you want to hang out afterwards, Fells Point is always a good time, but for something more laid back go to the Cross St. area in Federal Hill, which is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Yard. It's a great neighborhood & I think has more of a local feel to it than the Inner Harbor or FP. Try Sean Bolan's or Mother's. You can't go wrong at either for a: :gulp:

Viva Medias B's
01-26-2005, 11:15 AM
I was there in 2002. I stayed at the Holiday Inn just blocks away from Oriole Park. The Holiday Inn is the hotel in the outfield skyline that looks like it has a spaceship on top of it. I had a great time at the Inner Harbor that weekend.

Randar68
01-26-2005, 12:18 PM

Biggest recommendation? Don't get lost in the neighborhood to the west!

Federal Hill is a happenning area just to the East and is on the SW edge of the Inner Harbor. Great Mexican/Tequila restaurant in the area is Blue Agave. Pier 6 is a pretty good seafood place hidden right behind the ESPNZone and right by Power Plant Live (Huge Bar area outdoor party location that is great in the Spring/Summer/Fall. If you're looking for crabs, it's hard to go wrong anywhere that specializes. The Inner Harbor is pretty touristy and is usually packed on weekends in the summer. Power Plant Live is hopping usually if the weather is good.

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2005, 01:31 PM
I actually might be relocating to the Baltimore area in the next month or so.. SOXintheBURGH may become SOXintheMORE.

Randar68
01-26-2005, 01:45 PM
I actually might be relocating to the Baltimore area in the next month or so.. SOXintheBURGH may become SOXintheMORE.

The first thing to know about Baltimore is that it's not pronounced by the locals as it is spelled...

More like: Bawl-uh-mer The "t" can sometimes be heard as a faint "d", but otherwise it's basically massacred... LOL!

SOXintheBURGH
01-26-2005, 01:53 PM
The first thing to know about Baltimore is that it's not pronounced by the locals as it is spelled...

More like: Bawl-uh-mer The "t" can sometimes be heard as a faint "d", but otherwise it's basically massacred... LOL!

You're exactly correct. It's funny. Oh God, I was in Baltimore a few days ago actually, taking a wizz in a sports bar. They had all these news papers from 1983 proclaiming the O's World Series Winners.. I about set a fire.