PDA

View Full Version : Where have you gone Chris Singleton?

Clembasbal
01-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Link (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/25/Rays/Another_OF_veteran_ge.shtml)

The Devil Rays added another experienced outfielder to their spring training roster, signing Chris Singleton to a minor-league contract. Singleton, 32, has a career .273 average in somewhat regular duty with the White Sox, Orioles and A's from 1999-2003. He signed a minor-league deal with the Pirates last year but was released in spring training after failing a physical, reportedly because he complained of dizziness, and sat out the season.

I recall somebody asking about him last month or so, because he did not play last year. Well here he is, and here is the reason he sat out last year.

Does anybody have any great/terrible memories of this guy?

I remember the slow swing and a sliding catch where it hit his body and flew up and he caught it with his mit or hand on the second try.

ja1022
01-25-2005, 11:45 AM
I remember more good than bad. I remember him being a very serviceable ballplayer. Nothing flashy or spectacular. Decent range in center; caught what he got to. I seem to remember him having a tendency to get a slow jump on balls. Pretty good contact guy who could bunt. Quiet, unemotional guy.

Ol' No. 2
01-25-2005, 12:03 PM
I remember more good than bad. I remember him being a very serviceable ballplayer. Nothing flashy or spectacular. Decent range in center; caught what he got to. I seem to remember him having a tendency to get a slow jump on balls. Pretty good contact guy who could bunt. Quiet, unemotional guy.Think Timo Perez.

Brian26
01-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I saw the Singleton newsbit this morning. I was surprised because I thought he was going to try his hand at announcing this year. Best of luck to him.

I remember him as being a GREAT clubhouse presence on that 2000 team, leading the team in prayer and being a steady positive influence in the lockerroom.

Still amazed he had so many homeruns in 1999...something like 17 or 19.

rookieroy
01-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Isn't Chris Singleton the last Sox player to hit for the cycle? I believe he did this in 2000?

First post reply!!!!

:bandance:

veeter
01-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Think Timo Perez. I think Singleton was a much better outfielder than Timo. Timo throws well but Chris could go get 'em. Maybe they're similar from a hitting stand point.

chaz171
01-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Isn't Chris Singleton the last Sox player to hit for the cycle? I believe he did this in 2000?

First post reply!!!!

I believe Valentin did it more recently but I may be wrong

My most recent memory Of Chris is a Great one. I acquired him on my MVP Baseball 2004 season for the Sox. He batted over .700 off the bench for me. since I only picked him up for one season, he asked for huge money in the off season so, I whacked him.

Outside of that, My son had his picture taken with him on picture day 2000 as US Comiskular. Great Guy I hope the best for him.

Ol' No. 2
01-25-2005, 02:41 PM
I think Singleton was a much better outfielder than Timo. Timo throws well but Chris could go get 'em. Maybe they're similar from a hitting stand point.I agree. What reminds me of Chris was that while neither are particularly good hitters, but both are good situational hitters. They can hit behind the runners and do the little things that help a team win. And both seem to have good bat control and can lay down a bunt and put pressure on the defense. If you wanted to run a suicide sqeeze, these are the kind of guys I'd want up at the plate.

ja1022
01-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I agree. What reminds me of Chris was that while neither are particularly good hitters, but both are good situational hitters. They can hit behind the runners and do the little things that help a team win. And both seem to have good bat control and can lay down a bunt and put pressure on the defense. If you wanted to run a suicide sqeeze, these are the kind of guys I'd want up at the plate.

Agreed. I remember Chris bunting for a lot of base hits and being a dependable hit and run guy. I also remember him having a fair number of outfield assists. My son was 7-9 years old when he was here and Chris was his favorite player.

Clembasbal
01-25-2005, 04:52 PM
I always thought of him as a great guy, and I thought Baltimore would be a good place for him...but I think people thre wanted him to be Brady Anderson.

Anyway, I wonder where he will play if he makes the team there. Tampa Bay has a pretty solid OF.

doublem23
01-25-2005, 05:23 PM
I remember, I think it was in 2001 (not sure of the date), I was watching a Sox-Yankees game with my grandfather while he was in the hospital undergoing some tests (he's fine now). Anyways, I think it was Paul O'Neill that hit a sure thing home run to center field, except Singleton made one of the nicest catches I've ever seen, climbing up the wall and geting his glove a good 2 feet over the fence, IIRC, to take it away.

Forget how the game went. Just remember that play. Good, solid ballplayer. Another one of the underrated pieces of that 2000 team.

Good luck, Chris.

zach074
01-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Link (http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/25/Rays/Another_OF_veteran_ge.shtml)

Does anybody have any great/terrible memories of this guy?

I remember the slow swing and a sliding catch where it hit his body and flew up and he caught it with his mit or hand on the second try.

That catch is all i remember about him.:?:

Gosox1917
01-25-2005, 11:13 PM
I remember being at that game when Chris made that dive, flip ball in air, catch ball. Pretty sweet. It was the day after he went 5-5, which also happened to be the day after the huge brawl against the Tigers. I remember being right next to third base and my fellow Sox fans yelling "PAAAALMMMEERRRR, PAAAALLMMMMMEERRRR, PAAAAALLLMMEEEEERRRRRR...YOU SUCK!!!" Ah, good times.

I saw him in the booth with Hawk and DJ in a game in September, against the Twins I believe, and Chris mentioned he was going to broadcast with the Braves. Guess he found out he could still play. I wish him the best. He's a great Christian guy and I believe his wife just had triplets, IIRC from his time with Hawk and DJ during that game. Hope his career takes off. Good luck Chris!

wdelaney72
01-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Chris was defensively an absolute stud. He was easily my favorite player of the 2000 team. He seemed to struggle a bit after that season, too bad. He was a very exciting player to watch.

I hope he makes it back and he's some success (except against us.)

NonetheLoaiza
01-26-2005, 12:58 PM
IIRC, he hit for the cycle in his rookie year, no? He was a key to that 2000 season and helped get us along to the playoffs.

Flight #24
01-26-2005, 01:13 PM

First post reply!!!!

Singleton - nice defensive replacement, good team guy.

And :welcome:

DiGiSyKo
01-26-2005, 02:00 PM

First post reply!!!!

Chris Singleton hit for the cycle on July 6th, 1999... Valentin did it on April 27th, 2000.

:welcome:

ode to veeck
01-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Chris Singleton hit for the cycle on July 6th, 1999... Valentin did it on April 27th, 2000.

and not a Sox soul since

JoseCanseco6969
01-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Think Timo Perez.

I'd say a notch under Timo.

wdelaney72
01-27-2005, 08:01 AM
I'd say a notch under Timo.

I'd disagree. I think Singleton was a notch above Timo.

JUribe1989
01-27-2005, 09:19 AM
When Singleton his .300 he was a notch above Timo. However when runners are in scoring position, count on Timo to knock them in.

popilius
01-28-2005, 02:30 PM
I liked Singleton in the field, but he wasn't a very good clutch hitter. I remember him swinging at balls in the dirt, and then taking a called third strike right down the middle. He probably bounced out to the pitcher more than anyone I've ever seen.

I'm pulling for him to make the Tampa squad, though. . .

:gulp: