PDA

View Full Version : Soxfest stuff

TommyJohn
01-25-2005, 03:50 AM
It is after 1 AM, I'm at work and it is a slow night. So I've decided to look at
the stuff I acquired from Soxfest. I love to collect old programs, magazines
and such. At this year's Soxfest I bought programs from 1964, 1976 and
1977. Also a Baseball Digest from 1972 naming Dick Allen the Player of the
Year.

The 1964 White Sox program is from the fall. The line up card is filled out,
the White Sox played the Los Angeles Angels, who were then the Los
Angeles Angels of Los Angeles. The game was played on September 29,
1964, two weeks before my parents got married, one week after the
Warren Commission announced its findings in the Kennedy Assassination,
and exactly four years before I was born. The White Sox won 2-1 to go
94-64, 2.5 games in back of the 95-60 Yankees.

The lineups:

Los Angeles:

Piersall CF
Fregosi SS
W. Smith LF
Clinton RF
Rodgers C
Torres 3B
Satriano 1B
Pearson 2B
Chance P

Chicago:

McCraw LF
Buford 2B
Robinson RF
Ward 3B
Skowron 1B
Hansen SS
Berry CF
Carreon C
Howard P

Of course, most fans know what happened next. The team ended up 98-64,
1 game behind New York.

The ads are great, too:

"Hamm's brings you 64 White Sox games on WGN TV"

"New '64 Galaxie Fastback: $41.60 36 months to pay. No money down with
OK credit!"

"Geneo's Pizza Now 11 Locations"

"Your host Les Johnson: The Inglenook 115th & Halsted"

The 1976 program is funny. On page three is an ad with Bucky Dent:
"Depend on a professional team for all your fastener requirements.
Bucky Dent and Bell Screw Co. 25,000,000,000 fasteners in our
inventory. Call Bucky" next to a picture of Buck on the phone. He is
smiling happily, unaware that two years from then he will, with one
swing of the bat, become one of the worst villians in the history of
history, thus providing the East Coast literati with a library's worth
of lofty prose about the sufferings of Red Sox Nation and the meaning
of it all.

"White Sox newcomers: Ken Brett and Rich Coggins"

"Star of the future: Kevin Bell"

Another ad is one for Salem cigarettes with a pre-Magnum Tom Selleck.

This program was also for a game against the Angels:

California:

Collins LF
Remy 2B
Eastler DH
Melton 3B
Bochte RF
Briggs 1B
Torres CF
Chalk SS
Etcheberren C
Monge P

Chicago:

Stein 2B
Bannister RF
Orta LF
Spencer 1B
Downing C
Bell 3B
Lemon CF
Dent SS
Minoso DH
Gossage P

One ad interested me: "White Sox special dates" One of them reads:
"Saturday, July 3- 10:30AM McDonald's Breakfast Day have breakfast at McDonald's before the action begins at Comiskey Park at 10:30 AM"
I remember attending that game with my brother and father.

Well, that's it. Just wanted to post some stuff, being the insufferable trivia geek that I am.

Irishsoxfan
01-25-2005, 05:33 AM
"Hamm's brings you 64 White Sox games on WGN TV"

I hope that wasn't the 64 we lost! Sorry, couldn't resist.

TommyJohn
01-25-2005, 06:00 AM
I hope that wasn't the 64 we lost! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I honestly never thought of that.

JKryl
01-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Ah, Hamms, from the land of sky blue waters. The beer of my youth.

Dick Allen
01-25-2005, 10:15 AM
I was also at that McDonald's breakfast game, another Bill Veeck brainstorm. I also remember the Sox looked like they were still asleep during that game, losing to Texas.

ewokpelts
01-25-2005, 10:59 AM
I was also at that McDonald's breakfast game, another Bill Veeck brainstorm. I also remember the Sox looked like they were still asleep during that game, losing to Texas.
I personally think they should have more early day games, as well as late night games(10pm start)
Gene

Lip Man 1
01-25-2005, 12:49 PM
They weren't asleep the following year when they played the Indians in a May game that started at 10:30am and scored 18 runs. Jim Spencer drove in eight of them.

Ahhh 1977.....:smile:

Lip

TommyJohn
01-25-2005, 01:19 PM

Yep, 3-0 was the final, if I recall. I was a mere 7, so the highlight of that game
for me was seeing Ronald McDonald.

Wsoxmike59
01-30-2005, 10:12 AM
I was at the Fest with Soxwon all three days. I got 12 autographs from current and past Sox players. (Konerko, Gossage, Podsednik, Dye, Crede, Garland, Kittle, Baines, Burke, Davis, Everett, and Raines)

I bought a copy of Dan Helpinstine's book and met both Dan and Leo Bauby at their booth.

I also bought a very nice Nellie Fox photo ball and pin from Ken Channer the worlds biggest Nellie Fox fan and collector.

I also bought VHS copies of "Winning Ugly....20 Year's Later" and the Division Winning 1993 Hi-Light Film. Also got the Sox 2004 Hilight DVD narrated by Dave Wills.

It was really a great weekend. Got to meet a few WSI Posters such as AlohaFri.....Ewokpelts and a few others whos' names escape me at the moment.

Brian26
01-30-2005, 12:20 PM
I personally think they should have more early day games, as well as late night games(10pm start)
Gene

Are you joking about the 10pm start? Most kids are going to bed or already in bed. What about curfew laws? That would be a disaster.

ewokpelts
01-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Are you joking about the 10pm start? Most kids are going to bed or already in bed. What about curfew laws? That would be a disaster.
not for the kids...for the rest of us...
Gene

Brian26
01-30-2005, 12:56 PM
not for the kids...for the rest of us...
Gene

The 10 pm start would be for the rest of us? The rest of us that don't have jobs? :D: I think you're going to alienate far more people than you're going to please by moving back the start time of a game until 10pm. The logistics surrounding it make it impossible. The players wouldn't want to play that late, as it would completely throw them off their schedules. How do you get security and service personnel to work that late? Public transportation slows down after midnight, let alone 2am. Nobody who has to get up for work at a decent hour would even be able to watch the games, so ratings on tv and radio would suffer, affecting ad revenue. What sponsors would go for that? There's no scenario that makes a 10pm start time even remotely attractive.

ewokpelts
01-30-2005, 02:53 PM
The 10 pm start would be for the rest of us? The rest of us that don't have jobs? :D: I think you're going to alienate far more people than you're going to please by moving back the start time of a game until 10pm. The logistics surrounding it make it impossible. The players wouldn't want to play that late, as it would completely throw them off their schedules. How do you get security and service personnel to work that late? Public transportation slows down after midnight, let alone 2am. Nobody who has to get up for work at a decent hour would even be able to watch the games, so ratings on tv and radio would suffer, affecting ad revenue. What sponsors would go for that? There's no scenario that makes a 10pm start time even remotely attractive.
I'm not advocating EVERY night game be that late. Maybe one or two a month. Maybe attract the late night crowd.

What I advocate more is a later start for the afternoon games. What do you think about a 3 or 4 pm start time? I think a later start on those games could draw in more after work fans.
Gene

Brian26
01-30-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm not advocating EVERY night game be that late. Maybe one or two a month. Maybe attract the late night crowd.

Eh, I don't think its practical for even once a year. It would be a logistical nightmare, and it would violate curfew laws.

What I advocate more is a later start for the afternoon games. What do you think about a 3 or 4 pm start time? I think a later start on those games could draw in more after work fans.

I don't mind the businessman's special late start. Not sure how practical it is for the Sox though. During the season, weekday day games are usually get-away days (ie Thursday 1pm start). So, a 3 or 4pm start somewhat screws up the idea of finishing up the series and hopping the plane at a reasonable hour. Got to keep the players in mind with these scenarios. And god forbid we have to listen to Farmio complain about it....

:farmer

"And after we board the charter in Tampa Bay, we fly to Seattle and play a 1pm game the next day!"

ewokpelts
01-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Eh, I don't think its practical for even once a year. It would be a logistical nightmare, and it would violate curfew laws.

I don't mind the businessman's special late start. Not sure how practical it is for the Sox though. During the season, weekday day games are usually get-away days (ie Thursday 1pm start). So, a 3 or 4pm start somewhat screws up the idea of finishing up the series and hopping the plane at a reasonable hour. Got to keep the players in mind with these scenarios.

If the 10pm(or 9pm) games were 18 over, there's no curfew violations. As for the 3/4 pm starts, I do care about the players and thier health. The extra hour or two of sleep the night before would be a factor, and I wouldn't schedule the 3/4 pm game if the next game involved cross country travel or if it was another day game. But, if you look at the 6/22 game this year, the Sox have a day off(kc also has the day off on the 23rd.) This is doable.
Gene