PDA

View Full Version : Doing a little math here

balke
01-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Konerko, Lee, Valentin, Rowand, Uribe, Crede, Thomas, Borchard, Maggs, Gload, Davis, Everett, Timo, Sandy, Willie, Roberto, Valdez

these players hit the white sox 234 hr last season

subtract
lee 31
valentin 30
borchard 9 (probably won't see the field)
maggs 9
gload 7
timo 5 (probably won't see the field as much)
sandy 2
robbie 1
valdez 1

Add Hr's for
Pods 12
Iguchi 24
Dye 23
Pierzynski 11

25 home runs lost. This is assuming Iguchi can hit what he did last season. I also discounted timo and Valdez and Gload because they most likely won't get as much playing time (biased against my point)

But only 25 lost, Frank will probably have more playing time to hit over 18 Hrs this season. Everett will be here long enough to hit more than 5. Dye might hit more than 23 in the cell.

Long story short, we got a lot of speed and pitching, and overall didn't lose all the hr. (Note: this no way implies that we wouldn't have broken some kind of hr record if maggs, lee, thomas, valentin were healthy together all season)

I'm loving this offseason more and more. Hopefully that batting average and OBP goes up, and we won't miss a thing. I think two .300 hitters is what we'll miss most with Lee and Maggs gone. But hey, we dropped Valentin and snagged a hitting catcher, that helps.

batmanZoSo
01-24-2005, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=balke]Konerko, Lee, Valentin, Rowand, Uribe, Crede, Thomas, Borchard, Maggs, Gload, Davis, Everett, Timo, Sandy, Willie, Roberto, Valdez

subtract
lee 31
valentin 30
maggs 9
gload 7
timo 5 (probably won't see the asfield much
sandy 2
robbie 1
valdez 1

Add Hr's for
Pods 12
Iguchi 24
Dye 23
Pierzynski 11

25 home runs lost. This is assuming Iguchi can hit what he did last season. I also discounted timo and Valdez and Gload because they most likely won't get as much playing time (biased against my point)

But only 25 lost, Frank will probably have more playing time to hit over 18 Hrs this season. Everett will be here long enough to hit more than 5. Dye might hit more than 23 in the cell.

Long story short, we got a lot of speed and pitching, and overall didn't lose all the hr. (Note: this no way implies that we wouldn't have broken some kind of hr record if maggs, lee, thomas, valentin were healthy together all season)

I'm loving this offseason more and more. Hopefully that batting average and OBP goes up, and we won't miss a thing. I think two .300 hitters is what we'll miss most with Less and Maggs gone. But

Didn't Iguchi hit like 2 homers last year? I think 24 sounds awfully high, unless my memory of his numbers are wrong.

Whitesox029
01-24-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm loving this offseason more and more. Hopefully that batting average and OBP goes up, and we won't miss a thing. I think two .300 hitters is what we'll miss most with Less and Maggs gone. But hey, we dropped Valentin and snagged a catcher, that helps
We really didn't lose any .300 hitters because Ordonez didn't play enough to have his average count in our total, IMO, and we added Iguchi who hit .333 last year in place of Lee.

Brian1978
01-24-2005, 11:51 PM
I am thinking that with this overhaul we may actually have the luxury of not having to wonder where offensive numbers lost are going to come from.

This is a whole new approach to offensive baseball. The run must be generated to win, is the simple way to look at it. What Kenny has also done is backed up his offense, so to speak, with:

1. a more-solid rotation,
2. a pretty solid and recently fortified bullpen

We will see about the defense. However, the corners and 2nd are solid. Rowand and Posedik will take care of Left and Center.

FightingBillini
01-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Didn't Iguchi hit like 2 homers last year? I think 24 sounds awfully high, unless my memory of his numbers are wrong.

Yep, you are wrong. He hit 24 HR last season.

OurBitchinMinny
01-25-2005, 01:35 AM
We really didn't lose any .300 hitters because Ordonez didn't play enough to have his average count in our total, IMO, and we added Iguchi who hit .333 last year in place of Lee.

He hit .333 in Japan. Not the same

balke
01-25-2005, 01:41 AM
He hit .333 in Japan. Not the same
This is what I'm thinking too. Did Ichiro hit .400 overseas? I'd like to see how far down the stats tend to go for japanese players in MLB.

Any volunteers? I gotta get some sleep.

mikef1331
01-25-2005, 01:43 AM
With A.J. Hitting in our park this season, I think he'll get more than 11 HR's. I'm guessing more like 18-23.

fquaye149
01-25-2005, 07:19 AM
This is what I'm thinking too. Did Ichiro hit .400 overseas? I'd like to see how far down the stats tend to go for japanese players in MLB.

Any volunteers? I gotta get some sleep.

ichiro would have hit .400 this year if not for a bad april

Randar68
01-25-2005, 02:47 PM
ichiro would have hit .400 this year if not for a bad april

THIS YEAR, in the MLB!

Ichiro's numbers in Japan:

http://www.japaneseballplayers.com/en/player.php?id=ichiro

balke
01-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks Randar, I've been looking for those stats. Why don't they list walks? Is there a different count for them, or does that league not have walks or something?

Looks like Ichiro is the only one to prove steadiness in America. But, Look at someone like Hideki Matsui, and he's still hitting around .300, and hitting the ball out of the park around his average.

Kaz is the one to decline, but he has only had a year, and he's in the NL.
Taguchi went up in BA, and did well in the NL.

Probably safe to expect Iguchi to hit around .300 instead of .333, if not a little less. That way if he does well, we'll be pleasantly surprised. Those Hr's might all disappear, but I'm guessing he'll still steal bases the same. Unfortunately, this site doesn't list all of his career stats, I don't believe

Jjav829
01-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks Randar, I've been looking for those stats. Why don't they list walks? Is there a different count for them, or does that league not have walks or something?

Looks like Ichiro is the only one to prove steadiness in America. But, Look at someone like Hideki Matsui, and he's still hitting around .300, and hitting the ball out of the park around his average.

Kaz is the one to decline, but he has only had a year, and he's in the NL.
Taguchi went up in BA, and did well in the NL.

Probably safe to expect Iguchi to hit around .300 instead of .333, if not a little less. That way if he does well, we'll be pleasantly surprised. Those Hr's might all disappear, but I'm guessing he'll still steal bases the same. Unfortunately, this site doesn't list all of his career stats, I don't believe

Walks are listed. Iguchi walked 47 times last year and had 510 at-bats.

zach074
01-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Those numbers should be a little worse because of the time it will take him to adjust.

mjharrison72
01-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah... they get five balls to a walk.
Actually, walks are listed there under BB.
-M

Infallible
01-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Actually baseball is all wrong, a man with four balls can not walk.....

balke
01-25-2005, 03:43 PM
yeah, I guess Ichiro and TSO, and Iguchi have walks, but I was looking at the Matsui's stats, and they don't have walks listed.

Oh well, my bad.

npdempse
01-25-2005, 03:52 PM
IIRC, HRs are the LEAST translatable stat from Japan to the US, as their parks tend tothe small side.

basilesox
01-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Konerko, Lee, Valentin, Rowand, Uribe, Crede, Thomas, Borchard, Maggs, Gload, Davis, Everett, Timo, Sandy, Willie, Roberto, Valdez

subtract
lee 31
valentin 30
maggs 9
gload 7
timo 5 (probably won't see the field as much)
sandy 2
robbie 1
valdez 1

Add Hr's for
Pods 12
Iguchi 24
Dye 23
Pierzynski 11

I'm loving this offseason more and more. Hopefully that batting average and OBP goes up, and we won't miss a thing. I think two .300 hitters is what we'll miss most with Lee and Maggs gone. But hey, we dropped Valentin and snagged a hitting catcher, that helps.

Where did Gload go? I think he is still with the team. I would prefer him over Everett in the lineup anyday.

MRKARNO
01-25-2005, 05:47 PM
IIRC, HRs are the LEAST translatable stat from Japan to the US, as their parks tend tothe small side.

His home park was a pitchers' park, even by the MLB standards I believe. At least it was for the Japanese leagues.

balke
01-25-2005, 06:08 PM
I think I just took him off cause he'll probably get his playing time lessened a little (Less outfield play). He'll come in when we are up big to play D for Konkerko, and to pinch hit late probably. I probably subtracted too many HR's overall, which is a good thing. I think all of our homeruns are still here, just spread out (As Kenny has stated before).

chisox2005
01-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Iguchi's homeruns are also a little more impressive because they only play 120 or so games. So with 40 more games I'm sure he'd add a few more.

santo=dorf
01-25-2005, 06:55 PM
His home park was a pitchers' park, even by the MLB standards I believe. At least it was for the Japanese leagues.

I think it was considered to be a pitcher's park, but this site (http://home.n00.itscom.net/kbt-t/yakyujo_pl/fukuokad_e.html) has the dimensions as LF 328, CF 400, RF 328.

And Karno, why are you considering Diaz and Munoz as candidates for the bullpen? What about Adkins and Cotts?

TimoPerez
01-26-2005, 10:46 AM
I would expect about a .280-.290 average, .330 to .340 OBP, 10 homers, and 20 stolen bases from Iguchi.

Please don't hurt me.

soxtalker
01-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Corrections are made to account for the effects of a ballpark in many of these statistical studies. However, are there also corrections for one ball player "protecting" another in the lineup? When we had Maggs, Frank, Lee, and Paulie in the lineup, pitchers would adjust how they pitch to each based on the rest of the lineup. That's one reason that Frank's OBP is so high; the pitchers would rather walk him than face the fellow coming up afterwards -- unless that player was hot.

I like statistics. I just wonder if you can adjust for factors like this.