PDA

View Full Version : Now, Kenny needs to get Tony Graffanino back.

Brian1978
01-24-2005, 11:48 PM
Sox fans-

Think about this possibility. With Willie backing up at 2nd and huge question marks at SS and 3rd, Tony G. has instantly becomes valuable to this New Sox Order. With Crede and Uribe not being incredibly solid, Tony G. brings much value.

He is pretty clutch, doesnt make too much (especially when what he can do for THIS PARTICULAR ballclub fits like a missing piece from a very interesting puzzle).

How, can I at least get this idea in Kenny's head? I am just sitting here thinking...what a fit he could make!

Brian26
01-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Sox fans-

Think about this possibility. With Willie backing up at 2nd and huge question marks at SS and 3rd, Tony G. has instantly becomes valuable to this New Sox Order. With Crede and Uribe not being incredibly solid, Tony G. brings much value.

He is pretty clutch, doesnt make too much (especially when what he can do for THIS PARTICULAR ballclub fits like a missing piece from a very interesting puzzle).

How, can I at least get this idea in Kenny's head? I am just sitting here thinking...what a fit he could make!

Nice screenname.

What's he making this year? $1.5 million? KW has stretched the budget as it is. Not sure if those numbers work...although TonyG was one of JR's favorite players.

NSSoxFan
01-24-2005, 11:57 PM
As much as I love Graffs, I will never forget that Saturday game against the sCrUBS. Does anyone remember? I can't remember the exact situation, but Foulke threw him the ball at third base and he didn't put down a tag, because he thought it was a force play. Anyone remember...

batmanZoSo
01-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Sox fans-

Welcome aboard. I miss Graffanino, but I don't think there's a spot for him.

Willie can play second and Uribe can play third, short and second. If you take Willie out of the picture, then yeah, but I like his speed on the bench. I retain that he sucks, but as a bench guy you can do a lot worse than him.

OEO Magglio
01-24-2005, 11:59 PM
As much as I love Graffs, I will never forget that Saturday game against the sCrUBS. Does anyone remember? I can't remember the exact situation, but Foulke threw him the ball at third base and he didn't put down a tag, because he thought it was a force play. Anyone remember...
Yes, I remember that and unfortunately that's the play I always think of when it comes to graff though I loved him when he was here. A healthy graff would be a perfect fit, the problem would obviously be getting him from KC.

batmanZoSo
01-25-2005, 12:00 AM

He also failed to lay down a squeeze to end the game. Clayton was practically in his ear when the ball crossed the plate. ANY bunt in fair play would've meant a sweep.

GAAAAAAAAH! :angry:

OEO Magglio
01-25-2005, 12:00 AM

Willie can play second and Uribe can play third, short and second. If you take Willie out of the picture, then yeah, but I like his speed on the bench. I retain that he sucks, but as a bench guy you can do a lot worse than him.
We need someone to back up Juan as of right now that guy is Valdez.

Gosox1917
01-25-2005, 12:02 AM
I like the idea, why not trade Willie straight up for Tony? Makes sense to me, and Tony can play 2B and if I'm not mistakin, he played a little OF for us in 2002. Sounds like a good pickup but I certainly won't complain about the line-up we have now.

HAR-OLD
01-25-2005, 12:03 AM
i was actually thinking about this as a possibility, i dont know if the money would balance exactly, but its got to be fairly close: willie and ben davis for graff and maybe a prospect?

then obviously we could bring burke back up since the backup wont be getting many starts anyway
wishful thinking but i for one would like to see it

Brian1978
01-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Good points all around. I know the Cub day sticks out and I do remember the missed bunt. However, I dont trust Crede and Uribe HAS DONE NOTHING TO PROVE his worth as a defensive short stop and HE HAS NEVER hit consistently for even 1/2 of a season. Oh, I hope he does work out...trust me.

This is going to be a pretty good team. Sometimes, the small additions are what ends up getting your team through 162. Especially with an unproven left side of the infield.

I am going to consider (for now) our new 2nd bagger as proven. Even though the MLB is different, his accomplishments in Japan should tell us that he will be at least...and adequate 2nd baseman and should find a role in the batting order.

The more I think about it, Tony G is perfect. Think about backup short stops! There really arent any. Tony G is so much more than a back up short stop. I would not rely on him to bunt though.

nodiggity59
01-25-2005, 12:51 AM
Yeah with the addition of AJ, Big Ben really becomes superflous. He doesn't hit that well from the rigt side, IIRC. Or at all for that matter. Clearing Davis and Willie could get us a prospect besides Graff and would only be a minimal salary increase. Don't know how interested KC would be in taking BD tho.

mdep524
01-25-2005, 01:21 AM
However, I dont trust Crede and Uribe HAS DONE NOTHING TO PROVE his worth as a defensive short stop and HE HAS NEVER hit consistently for even 1/2 of a season. Oh, I hope he does work out...trust me.

Hang on a second, I'll agree with you that Uribe's offense is inconsistent and maybe a tad overrated here. But his defense is pretty damn solid. I think he has proved that he is a very capable, above average defensive shortstop.

Brian1978
01-25-2005, 01:32 AM
His only full year as a SS was ugly. He is not a short stop. He had a good 30 or so games last year. This, quite simply...is not good enough to consider the position solidified. There is a reason he is Juan Uribe, this and his terribly inconsistent bat make him a ? for the season.

I really like the guy, and man does he hit the ball hard. I hope, as I said above, he works out because if he could put together the FIRST EVER COMPLETE SOLID season of his career...the SS position is solidified.

mdep524
01-25-2005, 01:36 AM
His only full year as a SS was ugly. He is not a short stop. He had a good 30 or so games last year. This, quite simply...is not good enough to consider the position solidified. There is a reason he is Juan Uribe, this and his terribly inconsistent bat make him a ? for the season.

I really like the guy, and man does he hit the ball hard. I hope, as I said above, he works out because if he could put together the FIRST EVER COMPLETE SOLID season of his career...the SS position is solidified.
What are you basing this "ugly" defense on? He has a cannon arm, good range and soft hands. He is also quick at turning double plays- significantly quicker than Wee Willie in fact. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I don't think he is especially error-prone for his position either. He may not be a gold glover, but he is solid defensively, and I think his glove at SS will be the least of the Sox worries in '05.

Brian1978
01-25-2005, 01:45 AM
Hey, I am a day in and day out fan who has learned a thing or two about baseball. We are in the fortunate position to consider how to fortify a seemingly solid team.

I am not out to be right, just to speak and find the truth. I see a complete lineup and I look for a hole, because if one can be found...it can be filled.

Anyway, you are right...if he is adequate...that is going to be enough. Here is a link to his stats, notice how the only year he was THE shortstop...it was not good.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=6698

Now, if you still feel he has solidified SS...you just dont see the game the way I do.

MisterB
01-25-2005, 01:56 AM
Hey, I am a day in and day out fan who has learned a thing or two about baseball. We are in the fortunate position to consider how to fortify a seemingly solid team.

I am not out to be right, just to speak and find the truth. I see a complete lineup and I look for a hole, because if one can be found...it can be filled.

Anyway, you are right...if he is adequate...that is going to be enough. Here is a link to his stats, notice how the only year he was THE shortstop...it was not good.

Now, if you still feel he has solidified SS...you just dont see the game the way I do.

So Uribe's defense should be based solely on what he did as a 22 year old in his first full season in the majors? OK... :?:

mdep524
01-25-2005, 02:02 AM

I'm just talking about defense. I saw with my own eyes the abilities Uribe had defensively last season, and they were impressive. Of the things I am skeptical of for this team (Contreras mostly, also Podsednik and Vizcaino), Uribe's glove is not one of them. I think Uribe's D is significantly better than many middle infielders who were available this offseason- Nomar, Grudz, Todd Walker, Christian Guzman (*shudder*) and comparable to Cabrera and Renteria. Also, if D is so important to you, why are you championing a trade for Graff? As much as I liked the guy, defense was not his strength, and I don't think there is any question Uribe is significantly better with the glove.

From the offense standpoint, I do agree with you to a certain extent that expectations for Uribe are a bit higher than they should be. As a number 8 or 9 hitter, he'll be fine though.

Tragg
01-25-2005, 02:06 AM
Graff has played 8 seasons and has never really been more than a utility infielder. He is 34 years old.

Harris, 28, has played for 3 and last year posted a .343 OBP playing 140 plus games (Graff posted decent ones playing 70 games)

Harris may be a dud, I don't know, but he may not be. Graff is mediocrity, a condition of which we are currently in full supply on this ballclub. Harris may be worse, but he's worth the risk - the downside, in the proposed scenario, is that we miss the opportunity for a mediocre ballplayer.

No thanks.

OurBitchinMinny
01-25-2005, 02:33 AM
Im looking for crede to bust out this year. Its his last chance. Uribe had a solid year and hopefully will improve. The left side is not great, but it could be worse. Its better than the twins of jason bartlett and cuddyer/tiffee

popilius
01-25-2005, 03:22 AM

I actually do remember that play very well. For some reason, I also remember Graff making a few other mental errors around that same time (a 2-week span or so) . . . although I liked him as a player.

:gulp:

Soxzilla
01-25-2005, 08:27 AM
I think we could easily dump Adkins and a low grade prospect for graffanino, there is no way I'd dump Harris, at least that guy has a glimmer of talent in that miniature body of his.

It would be a win-win situation!

thepaulbowski
01-25-2005, 08:34 AM
You folks are arguing over an injury prone, career .259 hitter, who makes $1.1 million a year. Please, there are much cheaper options out there that make more sense.

thepaulbowski
01-25-2005, 08:34 AM
I think we could easily dump Adkins and a low grade prospect for graffanino, there is no way I'd dump Harris, at least that guy has a glimmer of talent in that miniature body of his.

It would be a win-win situation!

Adkins isn't going anywhere, he will be a long relief guy this year.

Realist
01-25-2005, 08:36 AM
I love Graffanino but I'm not expecting him to have a better 2005 than anybody else on our roster. I really want to see us play the hand we've got.

samram
01-25-2005, 08:38 AM
If KW is going to acquire another utility guy, I think it should be one who bats left-handed. With all the infielders batting right-handed, if Oz wants to pinch hit for one of them with a tough righty in the game, he would have to burn Timo or Gload (who could go in at 1B, but how often is Konerko going to be pinch hit for?), and Valdez (assuming Wille can't back up at SS, which would seem to be the case). Acquiring Graffanino wouldn't change that.

soxyes
01-25-2005, 08:54 AM
If I am not mistaken, Tony G left via free agency because he wanted more playing time. Why would he want to come here in another back up role.

Infallible
01-25-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm convined Tony G had his pocket padded by the Trib to screw that game up for the Sox.......If not then he's a closet Scrubbie fan, either way that was THE one and only game I'll ever remember the guy....its a good thing he left town to get more time in the spotlight to blossom into the complete full hitting force he is......... Anyways Tony G should have been strung up from the 500's for what he did.......

veeter
01-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Willie can play second and Uribe can play third, short and second. If you take Willie out of the picture, then yeah, but I like his speed on the bench. I retain that he sucks, but as a bench guy you can do a lot worse than him. If you think Willie Harris SUCKS you don't know much about baseball.

veeter
01-25-2005, 10:48 AM

I really like the guy, and man does he hit the ball hard. I hope, as I said above, he works out because if he could put together the FIRST EVER COMPLETE SOLID season of his career...the SS position is solidified. Obviously you were watching a different player than everybody else. He was a somewhat streaky hitter but his defense was terrific. Especially when you consider he was never allowed to settle in at any one position. And yes, he IS a shortstop. Actually it's his natural position and in my opinion where he looked the most solid last year. Just remember when Uribe plays well this year, you better praise him and admit you were wrong.

rdivaldi
01-25-2005, 10:51 AM
If you think Willie Harris SUCKS you don't know much about baseball.

Amen. I have no idea why anyone would want to get rid of a versitile, young player like Harris for an old, mediocre player like Graff. Bad idea.

Also, whoever said Uribe isn't good defensively has no idea what they are talking about. Uribe came here as a defensive whiz and easily displayed it last year. His fielding percentage would have tied him for second among all active shortstops in the AL. Do some research before making ridiculous statements please...

mweflen
01-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Judging Uribe by his rookie year at SS is foolish. He proved he can play a good SS last season for us.

Tony G should not be defined just by one bad day. He played HARD baseball for us - breaking up double plays, solid D, some clutch hitting. He was one of my favorites while he was here. But it's true, at 1.1 mil and his age, he is not a fit to replace Willie.

The Sox will keep Willie around in the hopes he develops further. If he doesn't, or displays more of his signature punk attitude on the bench, my bet to replace him is on Valdez.

Brian1978
01-25-2005, 02:07 PM
If Uribe does play well, great for us. Cub fans defend their players no matter what. if you think that Uribe has solidified the SS position...you are dreaming and projecting. I am not passing judgement on Uribe, he is just not the ideal SS. That is why I think a Tony G. (or someone like him) is a key component to a solid left side.

DO NOT LOOK AT POTENTIAL FOR ANY PLAYER THAT HAS BEEN IN THE LEAUGE FOR A FEW YEARS. LOOK AT URIBE'S DEFENSIVE STATS FOR HIS CAREER. WHY DO YOU THINK HE WAS NEVER HANDED SHORTSTOP FOR A SEASON?

Infallible
01-25-2005, 02:13 PM
If you think Willie Harris SUCKS you don't know much about baseball.

If you don't think Willie Mayes Hayes Harris doesn't suck THEN you don't know much about baseball.......now does he suck as much as an old man Graffanino? No, he's a helluva lot better than Tony G ever dreamt about being, but Willie's no hero himself......

balke
01-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Tony G sucks. Willie's cheap and good enough off the bench. let's be happy, and save some cash in case we need a closer mid-season.

mdep524
01-25-2005, 02:17 PM
If Uribe does play well, great for us. Cub fans defend their players no matter what. if you think that Uribe has solidified the SS position...you are dreaming and projecting. I am not passing judgement on Uribe, he is just not the ideal SS. That is why I think a Tony G. (or someone like him) is a key component to a solid left side.

DO NOT LOOK AT POTENTIAL FOR ANY PLAYER THAT HAS BEEN IN THE LEAUGE FOR A FEW YEARS. LOOK AT URIBE'S DEFENSIVE STATS FOR HIS CAREER. WHY DO YOU THINK HE WAS NEVER HANDED SHORTSTOP FOR A SEASON?

Dude, you are not looking at things clearly. You don't like Uribe's D but you want to replace him with Graffinino, who is significantly worse defensively? You discount potential for a player who is only 25 years old? The guy is solid as a rock defensively. If you don't believe me, I suggest you watch closely this year.

D. TODD
01-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Harris has much needed speed off the bench, the ability to play infield and outfield, and is barely above the league minimum in salary. How in the world would Tony G. be an upgrade! Harris will be a solid member of the team in his utility role, a poor mans Chone Figgins this year.

MisterB
01-25-2005, 02:31 PM

Uribe's career fielding stats at shortstop (league averages in parenthesis):
FLD%: .972 (.971)
RF/g 4.80 (4.00)
Innings Played: 2796.3

Looks like average glove and very good range.

BTW, Graffanino lifetime at short:
FLD% .962 (.971)
RF/G 3.53 (4.14)
Innings Played: 454.6

Looks like below average glove and below average range.

If there is any problem with Uribe at shortstop, it's nothing Graffanino will solve.

Brian1978
01-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Wow. I give up. Forget it all about Tony G. Quite simply...most of you replying dont seem to have much of an idea on what your are talking about. Willie would stay, and a guy Like Tony G. would bump one of the kids back down to the minors.

D. TODD
01-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Wow. I give up. Forget it all about Tony G. Quite simply...most of you replying dont seem to have much of an idea on what your are talking about. Willie would stay, and a guy Like Tony G. would bump one of the kids back down to the minors. I was answering other comments regarding Tony. G. replacing Willie. 1.1 million is a bit steep though. Possibly finding a match salary wise in a trade could work. Is Ben Davis as a backup catcher more valuable then a serviceable backup shortstop?

doublem23
01-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Pining over Tony Graffanino?

:rolleyes:

SoxFanTillDeath
01-25-2005, 03:15 PM
What are you basing this "ugly" defense on? He has a cannon arm, good range and soft hands. He is also quick at turning double plays- significantly quicker than Wee Willie in fact. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I don't think he is especially error-prone for his position either. He may not be a gold glover, but he is solid defensively, and I think his glove at SS will be the least of the Sox worries in '05.

I agree...Uribe is an excellent defensive infielder. Also, don't diss his offensive production. He had a very good year with the Sox last year. I know you people are looking for something to whine about, but Uribe ain't it.

By the way, nice sig change mdep...

SoxFanTillDeath
01-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Pining over Tony Graffanino?

:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly... :?:

SoxFan48
01-25-2005, 03:19 PM
i was actually thinking about this as a possibility, i dont know if the money would balance exactly, but its got to be fairly close: willie and ben davis for graff and maybe a prospect?

And KC would do agree to this--why?

rdivaldi
01-25-2005, 03:32 PM

:kukoo:

Methinks that certain newbies should learn how to read statistics and understand what they mean.

Uribe never handled shortstop in Colorado for a full season because he had trouble at the plate, they raved over his defense.

batmanZoSo
01-25-2005, 04:32 PM
:kukoo:

Methinks that certain newbies should learn how to read statistics and understand what they mean.

Uribe never handled shortstop in Colorado for a full season because he had trouble at the plate, they raved over his defense.

Uribe had one good hitting year in Colorado and I believe that was 01--his first full year. The rest of his non-Sox hitting stats look pretty ugly. But one thing's certain, he can play shortstop. Probably the best since I've been watching the Sox.

Jjav829
01-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Wow. I give up. Forget it all about Tony G. Quite simply...most of you replying dont seem to have much of an idea on what your are talking about. Willie would stay, and a guy Like Tony G. would bump one of the kids back down to the minors.

Give it a rest. Just because the majority of people here don't agree with you, that doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about. You're pining for a utility infielder who can barely play shortstop, but then you are saying Uribe is a bad shortstop?

veeter
01-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Wow. I give up. Forget it all about Tony G. Quite simply...most of you replying dont seem to have much of an idea on what your are talking about. Willie would stay, and a guy Like Tony G. would bump one of the kids back down to the minors. I was going to comment on your ignorance but then I realized you were joking the whole time. Good one Brian1978.

slavko
01-25-2005, 06:47 PM
Give it a rest. Just because the majority of people here don't agree with you, that doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about. You're pining for a utility infielder who can barely play shortstop, but then you are saying Uribe is a bad shortstop?

Uribe's got a cannon, great range, and I can't forget a jaw-dropping play he made on a vicious one-hopper behind second to bail Koch's sorry rear out of another blown save. Graff is a butcher at SS.

champagne030
01-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Uribe's got a cannon, great range, and I can't forget a jaw-dropping play he made on a vicious one-hopper behind second to bail Koch's sorry rear out of another blown save. Graff is a butcher at SS.

i've got no beefs with uribe at short, but we do need a utility guy and i think that graf fits the "grinder" type guy kw/ozzie is trying to make this team. uribe was great is his role last year as a 2b/ss/3b....as i said, he'll be fine at short, but we have no backup at ss or 3b. this isn't pointed at you, but i don't want to hear about iguchi at ss because he hasn't played the position in years and isn't an option unless it's a 1 inning emergency. we don't have room for a herb washington, aka willie (who doesn't steal), on this team. at least it's nice we're talking about the bench instead of everyday players, but it's still a little bigger role with this team considering the faith we're putting in our starting ss/2b and more importantly the 3rd baseman.

chisox06
01-25-2005, 09:53 PM
We have Willie on the bench for an infield defensive replacement. A guy with speed (and hopefully improved basestealing skills), and he's a left handed bat, not the best hitter around but he has definitely more potential than Graf (who has never been anything more than mediocre hitter and who is a defensive, and baserunning downgrade). Doesn't make any sense to even consider Graffanino, not saying I wouldnt like him but its just not a realistic goal from the sox perspectives and even Tony's who said he wants more playing time, something he wouldnt get if he joined this team.

champagne030
01-25-2005, 10:47 PM
We have Willie on the bench for an infield defensive replacement. A guy with speed (and hopefully improved basestealing skills), and he's a left handed bat, not the best hitter around but he has definitely more potential than Graf (who has never been anything more than mediocre hitter and who is a defensive, and baserunning downgrade). Doesn't make any sense to even consider Graffanino, not saying I wouldnt like him but its just not a realistic goal from the sox perspectives and even Tony's who said he wants more playing time, something he wouldnt get if he joined this team.

willie can only play 2b on the infield and is an emergency CF at best (in the OF).

HAR-OLD
01-26-2005, 10:15 AM
And KC would do agree to this--why?

im not saying they would, in fact i wasnt even saying we should definitely try to do it, i was just throwing an idea out for a couple reasons

1. the 1 mil or whatever ben davis is making should be reallocated sowhere else, i think, where it could help the sox more

2. i think they need a utility guy to give some flexibility in case one or more of uguchi/uribe/crede struggle/ get injured

personally i would like to keep harris, i think he will improve on last year and be a very good 9 hitter for his career with good defense who goes on an occasional tear with 9 hits in 2 days, but if they have iguchi for 2/3 seasons maybe a decent utility guy would be more valuable right now

would this be the ideal solution? hardly, but like i said i was just throwing something out there

Drunk_at_Jimbos
01-26-2005, 10:41 AM
We already have the perfect utility guy on the team in Uribe. What we really need is a frontline starting SS.

soltrain21
01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
We already have the perfect utility guy on the team in Uribe. What we really need is a frontline starting SS.

What? Uribe is perfectly fine at SS. Great glove and a good bat, do you think we can have superstars at every position?

Drunk_at_Jimbos
01-26-2005, 10:48 AM
What? Uribe is perfectly fine at SS. Great glove and a good bat, do you think we can have superstars at every position?

I think defensively he's solid, but I worry about the bat. He trailed off bigtime last year and wound up with average numbers. I'm not looking for a superstar, but I would feel better with a little more depth at SS, and he would be a perfect utility guy.

rdivaldi
01-26-2005, 11:32 AM
He trailed off bigtime last year and wound up with average numbers. I'm not looking for a superstar, but I would feel better with a little more depth at SS, and he would be a perfect utility guy.

MLB Qualified SS Batting Leaders (OPS)
1) Carlos Guillen .921
2) Miguel Tejada .894
3) Michael Young .836
4) Juan Uribe .833

Average numbers? Methinks you should re-evaluate your statement...