PDA

View Full Version : Whats to be done with Willie Harris

BRDSR
01-24-2005, 07:47 PM
With the White Sox signing 2B Iguchi to a 2.3 million dollar contract, it appears Willie Harris will not be starting for the White Sox in 2005. What should be done with him?

MUsoxfan
01-24-2005, 07:48 PM
He can be Bafia's fill-in

Daver
01-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Placed on waivers for his unconditional release has a nice ring to it.

munchman33
01-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Trade him for another long reliever.

balke
01-24-2005, 07:54 PM
We need him for depth. I think he will improve this season. Keep him around, he'll see plenty of playing time resting the infield. The person that might not get as much playing time now is probably Timo, who makes more money than Willie.

uribeisgod5
01-24-2005, 07:54 PM
let him grab some pine like he deserves, there is no way in hell should he be playing regularly on any major league baseball team, we should keep him around though for situations where big frank is on second base with one out in the bottom of the ninth and we need that run to win

bafiarocks03
01-24-2005, 07:58 PM
He can be Bafia's fill-in

No we want Bafia!! Willie is gonna be a bench player!!:D:

RKMeibalane
01-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Keep Willie around for pinch-running situations. Get rid of Borchard. Eat his contract.

:reinsy

"What did you say?"

OEO Magglio
01-24-2005, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't mind keeping him around, however it would probably be a good idea to see if we could get a utility man for willie. I know it's not like the sox to trade within the division but a willie for graff trade might make sense for both teams if Tony is healthy.

SoxyStu
01-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Keep Willie around for pinch-running situations.

Sure would be nice if Rock could teach Willie a few things on the basepaths.

Jjav829
01-24-2005, 08:30 PM
I'd keep him around. This team isn't so deep in the middle infield that we can afford to cast him aside. There's no guarantee that Iguchi will succeed at a high level here. Hopefully Iguchi can backup at short, if needed. If Iguchi can do that, I'd keep Willie around as a backup CF/2B and a pinch runner. If would be nice to pinch run Willie for Konerko, Thomas, Dye, or Crede in the late innings of close games.

flo-B-flo
01-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Placed on waivers for his unconditional release has a nice ring to it. This is what I like the most about this place, off with his head!:tongue:

darklord23
01-24-2005, 08:49 PM
put him on the bench im sure he will improve some

maurice
01-24-2005, 08:52 PM
I'd keep him around. This team isn't so deep in the middle infield that we can afford to cast him aside. There's no guarantee that Iguchi will succeed at a high level here. Hopefully Iguchi can backup at short, if needed. If Iguchi can do that, I'd keep Willie around as a backup CF/2B and a pinch runner. If would be nice to pinch run Willie for Konerko, Thomas, Dye, or Crede in the late innings of close games.

I agree. If Iguchi can't hit MLB fastballs or has shoulder trouble, Harris is your starting 2B. (What color is the opposite of deeppink?) Then again, if Iguchi can't backup SS, there might not be a roster space left for Harris when Thomas returns (as ON2 has pointed out numerous times) -- in which case they'll probably need to trade him.

SEALgep
01-24-2005, 08:54 PM
The only issue I have with keeping him around is that he can't play SS. We need a real utility infielder, not a second baseman who can play the outfield (we're covered there).

soxtalker
01-24-2005, 08:56 PM
I think that the answer to the question of what to do with Willie depends a lot on what his value is to other teams. Many (not all) people here have been frustrated with his play and tend to place little value on him. But is that the way it will be viewed by other teams that are in the market for a 2B? And what are those teams? We may not know the answer to that until spring training.

I'd be happy to get a good minor league prospect or two for Willie. It would be nice to have him as backup, but he won't have much of a chance at breaking into the starting line up for the next couple of years (barring injury). Given that, he's probably of more value to another team that may give him more of a chance to play.

Daver
01-24-2005, 09:07 PM
I think that the answer to the question of what to do with Willie depends a lot on what his value is to other teams. Many (not all) people here have been frustrated with his play and tend to place little value on him. But is that the way it will be viewed by other teams that are in the market for a 2B? And what are those teams? We may not know the answer to that until spring training.

I'd be happy to get a good minor league prospect or two for Willie. It would be nice to have him as backup, but he won't have much of a chance at breaking into the starting line up for the next couple of years (barring injury). Given that, he's probably of more value to another team that may give him more of a chance to play.

How many MLB clubs are looking for a light hitting, average defensive second baseman that can look silly in CF, His awful OBP is only a plus.

Maybe they can trade him for Oil Can Boyd.

Brian26
01-24-2005, 09:17 PM
How many MLB clubs are looking for a light hitting, average defensive second baseman that can look silly in CF, His awful OBP is only a plus.

Maybe they can trade him for Oil Can Boyd.

I agree with Daver 100%.

Add to that: Willie's possibly the fastest guy on the White Sox, but he's not even a real baserunning threat.

balke
01-24-2005, 09:23 PM
I love willie 1st to home, or second to home. He's got amazing range at 2nd, I'll go on a limb and say the most in the league. He also has great outfield range.

He hasn't learned how to steal yet, but doesn't mean he won't. He's good for a few. I think if he actually swung the bat he'd hit, but the sox normally have him eat pitches and bunt on base.

Did anyone see Valdez play towards the end of the season? If you did you'd definitely realize you need depth like Willie laying around (heck he might even be starting, we don't know). Valentin missed a chunk of the season last year, and groin's get pulled all the time. Let's not outcast Willie just yet sox fans.

MarkZ35
01-24-2005, 09:35 PM
I'd Keep Willie Around on the bench for pinch hitting and occasional starts to give Iguchi a day off. But that's it because no one is going to get hurt or have an off season.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 10:01 PM
With the White Sox signing 2B Iguchi to a 2.3 million dollar contract, it appears Willie Harris will not be starting for the White Sox in 2005. What should be done with him?

11 pitchers
2 catchers
9 starters

Valdez
Willie
Gload

when Frank returns dump Gload and move Carl to the bench.

OEO Magglio
01-24-2005, 10:04 PM
11 pitchers
2 catchers
9 starters

Valdez
Willie
Gload

when Frank returns dump Gload and move Carl to the bench.
Are you serious?? Why the heck would you want to dump gload, he's our best bench player.

gobears1987
01-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Willy for Tony Graffanino!

TheBull19
01-24-2005, 10:42 PM
9 starters
2 catchers

So you expect the sox'll carry 3 catchers?

SpartanSoxFan
01-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I got 2 words for y'all...

Tony Graffanino

wassagstdu
01-24-2005, 10:51 PM
I don't have an opinion about Willie Harris, but some of this discussion reminds me of my opinion of Lou Brock when he started out with the Cubs: I thought he was the dumbest player and especially the WORST baserunner I had ever seen. He learned.

Harris seems to have some tools, that's about all any of us knows about him. I think Ozzie probably knows by now what makes him tick.

Daver
01-24-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't have an opinion about Willie Harris, but some of this discussion reminds me of my opinion of Lou Brock when he started out with the Cubs: I thought he was the dumbest player and especially the WORST baserunner I had ever seen. He learned.

Harris seems to have some tools, that's about all any of us knows about him.

You think the Sox have seen enough of him the last two years to have made a decision?

He has been replaced twice by Robbie Alomar, and now by a guy that has never played MLB baseball at any level.

If he had any value he would have been dealt in one of the Alomar deals, which speaks volumes on his market value considering he makes near the league minimum.

guillen4life13
01-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Last year when Willie was consistently in the lineup, his performance wasn't too bad. I think we all have the tendency to magnify the shortcomings of players and we think the stats tell the whole story.

Willie should stay on the team as a backup CF/2B because there aren't any other non-starters who can play either position effectively. Rowand and Pods can play CF, but both will be starting.

Willie has all of the tools, and last year there were times when he showed himself capable of using them.

Only trade him if a can't say no deal is offered for him. I really think that Willie Harris has lots of talent, and most importantly, has lots of realizable potential. He has always performed to the highest standards in the minors. It's only a matter of time before he becomes a decent major leaguer. He might not be what he was touted as, but I think he will be a quality starter at 2B.

And for those of you who say, "He was traded for Chris Singleton, so he must suck!": Singleton hit almost .300 in 2001, hit .300 in 1999, was always a baserunning threat and had lots of potential. He was quite a good CF also, if you may remember. I liked Singleton. He wasn't bad, and he was still young (28), so there was reason to think he would improve. He didn't. Hindsight is 20/20.
I would not have been disappointed had the Sox entered the season with Willie as the starting 2B. In a few years, watch out for him.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 11:51 PM
So you expect the sox'll carry 3 catchers?

LOL! I thought I had somehow eliminated a spot.

Add Gload and Timo(forgot about him somehow) and make a decision as to how to address it when Thomas comes back, whenever that is...

Fake Chet Lemon
01-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Let's give Rock a chance to work with him and get his opinion before we do anything drastic.

fledgedrallycap
01-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Willie isn't costing the Sox enough to make him a waste and he's a good insurance policy for Center and Second, not to mention late game pinch running. However, if he can be dangled for a super-sub/utility man that is an upgrade from Valdez, then you pull the trigger, IMO

D. TODD
01-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Willie is perfect as a utility guy off the bench. He has speed, plays infield, and outfield. Small hit to the payroll does not hurt either. A poor mans Chone Figgins. The Tony G. love is silly to me, Willie can add more for much less, which leaves spending room if needed at the trade deadline.

fledgedrallycap
01-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Willie is perfect as a utility guy off the bench. He has speed, plays infield, and outfield. Small hit to the payroll does not hurt either. A poor mans Chone Figgins. The Tony G. love is silly to me, Willie can add more for much less, which leaves spending room if needed at the trade deadline.

Willie can play one infield position. How is that a perfect utility man? I agree that Tony G. is now gone and too pricey for what he brings to the table, but the guy played any of the three key infield positions, and that's a very valuable asset and something Willie cannot do.

mmmmmbeeer
01-25-2005, 10:38 AM

Willie doesn't play "infield", he only plays 2B. Chone Figgins can play anywhere on the field and play the positions well. Willie ain't Chone, not even close, and has little value to this team as it currently stands.

mcfish
01-25-2005, 11:04 AM
I'd keep him around. This team isn't so deep in the middle infield that we can afford to cast him aside. There's no guarantee that Iguchi will succeed at a high level here. Hopefully Iguchi can backup at short, if needed. If Iguchi can do that, I'd keep Willie around as a backup CF/2B and a pinch runner. If would be nice to pinch run Willie for Konerko, Thomas, Dye, or Crede in the late innings of close games.Pretty much sums up my feelings. No point in getting rid of a perfectly good backup.

tsamdog
01-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Willie + Borchard + Garland to AZ for Vasquez. :smile:

OurBitchinMinny
01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Id keep him aaround. Iguchi is not proven over here yet

stl_sox_fan
01-25-2005, 11:28 AM
I agree with keeping him due to his low salary. But asside from playing good defense at 2nd(and only at 2nd), he is virtually ineffective on the basepaths. 5' 9" 170lbs and only 19 steals on 26(!!!!!) attempts last year. Send him down to the minors until he can learn to turn singles into doubles.

Ol' No. 2
01-25-2005, 11:41 AM
I agree. If Iguchi can't hit MLB fastballs or has shoulder trouble, Harris is your starting 2B. (What color is the opposite of deeppink?) Then again, if Iguchi can't backup SS, there might not be a roster space left for Harris when Thomas returns (as ON2 has pointed out numerous times) -- in which case they'll probably need to trade him.Willie has had 3 partial seasons before 2004 where he's been up and down to the minors, so I assume he's out of options. Other teams know this so it's going to be hard to get good value in trade. I think they have to keep him for the time being for all the reasons you listed. Also, I think they need to use this time to find out if Iguchi can play SS at all. If so, they can do without the utility IF and keep Harris. Uribe looks capable of playing 162 games, and they can always call up Valdez in the event of an injury, so they might be able to get by with Iguchi filling in at SS for a few innings here and there if they want to PH for Uribe.

slavko
01-25-2005, 12:17 PM

Harris seems to have some tools, that's about all any of us knows about him. I think Ozzie probably knows by now what makes him tick.

I'll second the Brock comments without saying Willie is another Brock. It did come out at Soxfest that Willie was playing on a bad ankle last year from the Maggs collision on.

maurice
01-25-2005, 01:32 PM
If he had any value he would have been dealt in one of the Alomar deals, which speaks volumes on his market value considering he makes near the league minimum.

You're speculating. This is like saying that Rowand had no value or he would have been traded in one of the Everett deals.

There's no evidence that the Sox ever tried to deal Harris or that any team refused to take him. On the contrary, the second time KW traded for Alomar, he essentially gave up nothing at all.

24thStFan
01-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Approximately 40 percent of you guys assume Iguchi is going perform well this season, and Willie is no longer needed. Iím not so sure that performance in the Japanese Pacific League automatically translates to success in MLB.

How about we wait until spring training to see how Willie and Iguchi perform against the same opposition. Let Willie win or loose his job on the field--not on the message boards.

stl_sox_fan
01-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Approximately 40 percent of you guys assume Iguchi is going perform well this season, and Willie is no longer needed. Iím not so sure that performance in the Japanese Pacific League automatically translates to success in MLB.

How about we wait until spring training to see how Willie and Iguchi perform against the same opposition. Let Willie win or loose his job on the field--not on the message boards.

It will be fun to watch people actually have to interview for their positions in Spring Training. Maybe a few fires lit under their arses will bring out the best in them. Or have everybody set against each other. How many days until Spring Ball begins?

JKryl
01-25-2005, 02:41 PM

Spring training may not be an adequate test. It took Shingo a couple of months to settle down and feel comfortable in his role here. It may be the same for Iguchi. In any event, what the Sox do with Harris kind of depends on his attitude. If he's willing to hustle, keep him around for a pinch runner/hitter. If not, trade him for what we can get. I think we can trust Kenny to get the best available player for him this year.

tsamdog
01-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Spring training may not be an adequate test. It took Shingo a couple of months to settle down and feel comfortable in his role here. It may be the same for Iguchi. In any event, what the Sox do with Harris kind of depends on his attitude. If he's willing to hustle, keep him around for a pinch runner/hitter. If not, trade him for what we can get. I think we can trust Kenny to get the best available player for him this year.

I agree with you, JK, about Willie's attitude being critical to his future with the Sox. If he's going to sulk, then he should be moved. Although tealed earlier, I also believe that Willie could be part of a Joe Borchard package this spring for a likely hole in the lineup/roster. Right now, I only see the need for a backup SS (Iggy factor included), but.....that's right now. If Frank's injury does not heal according to plan, then we will need another big bat. Finally, I don't think that Garland is a lock, although for the money, he's an adequate #5.

Bottom line is this, if the Sox feel that another starter is necessary, then you have Willie, Borchard and Garland available for trade. If there is just a need for a backup INF, then I'm not sure a trade is necessary.