PDA

View Full Version : excited and confused about lineup

balke
01-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I love having Iguchi already.... even though as Kenny said, we haven't even seen him play. Maybe it's dumb to love this signing so much. But now I don't know what the lineup is. I know Ozzie is the manager, so the lineup will probably be decided by a series of raffle tickets and picking straws... but in the case of him having a plan, how do we do this thing?

There will be two lineups I see, the one with Thomas, and the one w/o

Pods
Iguchi
Rowand
Konerko
Pierzynski
Everett
Dye
uribe
Crede

Iguchi
Rowand
Thomas
Konerko
Pierzynski
Dye
uribe
Pods
Crede

These can't be right. I would figure if Iguchi is as good as he looks, He's gotta be our leadoff right? Or does Pods get the nod at first? Is dye further up in the lineup? Where does Uribe bat? I'm really confused about how to do this. Any ideas?

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
These can't be right. I would figure if Iguchi is as good as he looks, He's gotta be our leadoff right? Or does Pods get the nod at first? Is dye further up in the lineup? Where does Uribe bat? I'm really confused about how to do this. Any ideas?

These seem to be good "problems" to have.

balke
01-24-2005, 05:54 PM
very good problems. And our positions have depth, with eventually a few great bats coming off the bench.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
01-24-2005, 06:01 PM
pods will be lead off with iguchi 2nd, i read that iguchi is a "natural" 2nd hitter

maybe somethin like

pods
iguchi
thomas/crazy carl
konerko
dye
rowand
pierzynski
uribe
crede

hold2dibber
01-24-2005, 06:05 PM
I can't imagine they'd have Iguchi batting lead-off, unless/until he starts killing the ball while Pods struggles. I'd expect the line-up to be:

Pods CF
Iguchi 2B
Everett/Frank DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Rowand LF
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

OR (until Frank comes back):

Pods
Iguchi
Rowand or Dye
Konerko
Everett
Rowand or Dye
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

FGarcia34
01-24-2005, 06:14 PM
W/O Thomas

Podsednik LF
Uribe SS
Rowand CF
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Everett DH
AJ C
Crede 3B
Iguchi 2B *Must prove himself first during spring training. If he succeeds, he
easily swap with Uribe. This is a very balanced lineup though.

With Thomas

Podsednik LF
Rowand RF
Thomas DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
AJ C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS
Iguchi 2B

Infallible
01-24-2005, 06:39 PM
without Frank:

Pods
Iguchi
Rowand
Dye
Konerko
Crazy Carl
AJ
Uribe
Crede

With Frank

Pods
Iguchi
Konerko
Thomas
Dye
Rowand
Crazy Carl
Uribe
AJ

Notice No Crede! Man alive put Pods at third! Anyone! But Crede has got to go!!! Even if Iguchi hasn't seen a major league pitch what do you think the chances are he hits worse than Crede? I'm willing to bet my life savings he's better right out of the box.

Jjav829
01-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Obviously we are going to speculate on this until Opening Day. For Ozzie though, I'm sure he won't have a lineup set until the weekend before Opening Day. There are still plenty of questions and Spring Training performances will determine how this all plays out. Right now, the logical lineup looks something like...

LF Podsednik
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
DH Everett
CF Rowand
C Pierzynski
SS Uribe
3B Crede

But that isn't anywhere near set in stone. I guess this will at least give us something to discuss during Spring Training as the roster is basically set. If Iguchi plays great and Pods struggles, does Iguchi lead off and Pods shifts down to #2 or #9? If Rowand plays great but Dye does poorly, does Rowand move to #3 and Dye down to #5/#6? It's impossible to set a lineup right now.

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Obviously we are going to speculate on this until Opening Day. For Ozzie though, I'm sure he won't have a lineup set until the weekend before Opening Day. There are still plenty of questions and Spring Training performances will determine how this all plays out. Right now, the logical lineup looks something like...

LF Podsednik
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
DH Everett
CF Rowand
C Pierzynski
SS Uribe
3B Crede

But that isn't anywhere near set in stone. I guess this will at least give us something to discuss during Spring Training as the roster is basically set. If Iguchi plays great and Pods struggles, does Iguchi lead off and Pods shifts down to #2 or #9? If Rowand plays great but Dye does poorly, does Rowand move to #3 and Dye down to #5/#6? It's impossible to set a lineup right now.Good point. And in fact, the lineup will probably continue to evolve over the first couple of months of the season. Remember LaRussa didn't put Fisk into the #2 spot until June.

balke
01-24-2005, 06:52 PM
We'll definitely be in need of spring training. My interest in going to Spring Training games is now raised considerably.

What if Iguchi turns out as good as he seems? I'm very excited about next season. This fresh air of talent makes way for a whole new era with this team.

It would be great if Dye is good enough for the 3 spot, but even better if Rowand can hit .315 there. Maybe Ozzie can't mess this lineup up. There's a lot of talent, and each player has his own pros and cons.

idseer
01-24-2005, 06:54 PM
but isn't it great to have not only a legit leadoff man for a change, but to actually have TWO?

FightingBillini
01-24-2005, 06:58 PM
If Rowand hits the way he did last year, I see no reason why he shouldn't bat 3rd. I think he will improve over 2004, and I think he could be productive in the 3 hole ahead of big Frank. Remember, the mid 90's Indians batted CARLOS BAERGA third, ahead of Belle, Murray, Alomar and Ramirez. It worked pretty good for them.

Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Rowand CF
Frank DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

OR (until Frank comes back):

Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Rowand CF
Konerko 1B
Everett DH
Dye RH
Pierzynski C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

01-24-2005, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=Jjav829]Obviously we are going to speculate on this until Opening Day. For Ozzie though, I'm sure he won't have a lineup set until the weekend before Opening Day. There are still plenty of questions and Spring Training performances will determine how this all plays out. Right now, the logical lineup looks something like...

LF Podsednik
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
DH Everett
CF Rowand
C Pierzynski
SS Uribe
3B Crede

I don't think we can have Crede in the 9 hole, he's just too slow. Uribe would be the better choice. We used to have Olivo there but he had wheels. I think it should be
Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Konerko
Carl
Rowand
AJ
Crede
Uribe

voodoochile
01-24-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm hoping that long term our lineup looks like this...

Iguchi 2B (.360 OBP)
Rowand CF (.340 OBP .850 OPS)
Frank DH (.950 OPS)
Konerko 1B (.900 OPS)
Everett LF (.850 OPS)
Dye RF (.830 OPS)
Pierzynski C (.830 OPS)
Uribe SS ( .800 OPS)
Crede 3B (.800 OPS)

If that lineup all hits to it's potential (in parantheisi), it could conceivably be better than last years at full strength. With the improved pitching staff the Sox would be a force to be reckoned with and the infield defense (much more important than OF defense) will be better too.

Jjav829
01-24-2005, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=Jjav829]Obviously we are going to speculate on this until Opening Day. For Ozzie though, I'm sure he won't have a lineup set until the weekend before Opening Day. There are still plenty of questions and Spring Training performances will determine how this all plays out. Right now, the logical lineup looks something like...

LF Podsednik
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
DH Everett
CF Rowand
C Pierzynski
SS Uribe
3B Crede

I don't think we can have Crede in the 9 hole, he's just too slow. Uribe would be the better choice. We used to have Olivo there but he had wheels. I think it should be
Pods
Iguchi
Dye
Konerko
Carl
Rowand
AJ
Crede
Uribe

Who cares how slow he is? Until he hits better, he's the #9 hitter. The top 2 in the order should be the only place speed factors in. We can't have a slow #9 hitter? What position can we put someone slow? Should we separate Thomas, Konerko, and Dye when Frank returns because all three are slow? Who would you rather have at the plate with 2 outs and a man in scoring position, Uribe or Crede?

sircaffey1
01-24-2005, 07:08 PM
You guys are in favor of just throwing Iguchi in the 2 spot without knowing what he will do? Or are you confident he will prove himself? I really don't like just throwing him in there right now. Ideally, I think we can all agree that we want Iguchi in the 2 spot, but as of right now, without knowing what he will do, he's gotta hit 9. If he has a really strong spring, then by all means put him in the 2 hole, but until then, you have to go with the safer bet, Uribe/Rowand.

I like Rowand in the 2 spot for now, as he can utilize his speed more so there than in the 6th spot. Uribe and Rowand have about the same power so I feel Uribe would be better suited for down in the lineup than Rowand.

(As of right now)

Pods
Rowand
Dye
Konerko
Everett
Uribe
Pierzinski
Crede
Iguchi

(When/If Iguchi proves himself & Frank returns)

Pods
Iguchi
Thomas
Konerko
Dye
Rowand
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

*Wow I love that lineup with a strong Iguchi. Solid top to bottom. STAY HEALTHY!!!

idseer
01-24-2005, 07:08 PM

Iguchi 2B (.360 OBP)
Frank DH (.950 OPS)
Konerko 1B (.900 OPS)
Everett LF (.850 OPS)
Dye RF (.830 OPS)
Pierzynski C (.830 OPS)
Uribe SS ( .800 OPS)
Crede 3B (.800 OPS)

If that lineup all hits to it's potential (in parantheisi), it could conceivably be better than last years at full strength. With the improved pitching staff the Sox would be a force to be reckoned with and the infield defense (much more important than OF defense) will be better too.

it's easy to forget with all the position player talk that the pitching will be the best part of this team. that's what really excites me!

Jjav829
01-24-2005, 07:11 PM
You guys are in favor of just throwing Iguchi in the 2 spot without knowing what he will do? Or are you confident he will prove himself? I really don't like just throwing him in there right now. Ideally, I think we can all agree that we want Iguchi in the 2 spot, but as of right now, without knowing what he will do, he's gotta hit 9. If he has a really strong spring, then by all means put him in the 2 hole, but until then, you have to go with the safer bet, Uribe/Rowand.

I like Rowand in the 2 spot for now, as he can utilize his speed more so there than in the 6th spot. Uribe and Rowand have about the same power so I feel Uribe would be better suited for down in the lineup than Rowand.

(As of right now)

Pods
Rowand
Dye
Konerko
Everett
Uribe
Pierzinski
Crede
Iguchi

(When/If Iguchi proves himself & Frank returns)

Pods
Iguchi
Thomas
Konerko
Dye
Rowand
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe

*Wow I love that lineup with a strong Iguchi. Solid top to bottom. STAY HEALTHY!!!

No doubt, you're right on. As of now, Iguchi is the #9 hitter and Uribe/Rowand is the #2 hitter. But if Iguchi proves himself, he would be a nice #2 hitter. For all we know he could play more like Tsuyoshi Shinjo and less like Ichiro. :o:

bigdommer
01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
I read on MLB.com that Iguchi also plays short. IF that is true and IF he plays well, that really makes the lineup versitile. That means Uribe can play 3rd if Crede struggles with Willie getting AB's at second. This would help, as the Sox could have 4 IF's to rotate among three positions, and when Thomas gets back, they have 4 OF's (Dye, Carl, Pods, Row) to rotate among the 3 OF spots. This lineup will not have the firepower and may not score the amount of runs as years past, but this lineup is deeper and more balanced, top to bottom. We won't have as many 10 run games, but we should have fewer 0-2 run games.

I really like this lineup. I like having Rowand and Pods in the OF and lineup. I also like not having Dye and Carl, with their injury history, being forced into the lineup everyday. Until Frank gets back, they can split time at DH/RF, and when Frank gets back, Oz can play the hot bat.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-24-2005, 07:30 PM
With all the different line ups you guys have created, I'm surprised nobody has solicited this man's opinion.

:jerry
"Be still my heart!"

:)

Chisox003
01-24-2005, 07:44 PM
I read on MLB.com that Iguchi also plays short. IF that is true and IF he plays well, that really makes the lineup versitile. That means Uribe can play 3rd if Crede struggles with Willie getting AB's at second.

I saw that too, but a few weeks ago when all of this speculation started, I read Iguchi had a shoulder problem a few years ago and had to permanently switch to 2nd...But, his hitting improved a TON after the shoulder injury, so who knows....Sorry no link

Opening Day Lineup (assuming Iguchi is as good as advertised)
LF Podsednik
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
DH Everett
CF Rowand
C Pierzynski
3B Crede
SS Uribe

That way, we got 3 guys (9, 1, 2) that can tear up the basepaths...I like the flow of it and how I HOPE it will turn over, with the balance from top to bottom...With Frank back in the 3 hole, it will look even better :wink:

balke
01-24-2005, 07:48 PM

Iguchi 2B (.360 OBP)
Frank DH (.950 OPS)
Konerko 1B (.900 OPS)
Everett LF (.850 OPS)
Dye RF (.830 OPS)
Pierzynski C (.830 OPS)
Uribe SS ( .800 OPS)
Crede 3B (.800 OPS)

Something I completely ruled out, Everett getting back to form. Creative lineup pick. Imagine if this was the lineup in the playoffs (PLAYOFFS?! http://www.wndu.com/sports/pics/pic_11716.JPG ) And we had pods coming off the bench to steal bases late in the game. I imagine we'll be using him all season for his range in the outfield, but we very well could start Everett late season.

batmanZoSo
01-24-2005, 09:01 PM
W/O Thomas

Podsednik LF
Uribe SS
Rowand CF
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Everett DH
AJ C
Crede 3B
Iguchi 2B *Must prove himself first during spring training. If he succeeds, he
easily swap with Uribe. This is a very balanced lineup though.

With Thomas

Podsednik LF
Rowand RF
Thomas DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
AJ C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS
Iguchi 2B

He's making 2.5 million, he already proved himself. He better perform is the deal.

Realist
01-24-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure what the line up is going to be, but I think the roster might look something like this when everyone is healthy:

LF (L)Podsednik
2B (R)Iguchi
DH (R)Thomas
1B (R)Konerko
RF (R)Dye
LF (R)Rowand
C (L)Pierzinski
SS (R)Uribe
3B (R)Crede

(L)Buehrle
(R)Garcia
(R)Hernandez
(R)Contreras
(R)Garland

(L)Cotts
(R)Hermanson
(R)Vizcaino
(R)Politte
(L)Marte
(R)Takatsu

(L)Perez
(L)Gload
(B)Davis
(B)Everett
(L)Harris

I like it.

TheBull19
01-24-2005, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=Jjav829]

I don't think we can have Crede in the 9 hole, he's just too slow. Uribe would be the better choice. We used to have Olivo there but he had wheels.

I think its a pretty good sign when we're arguing whether or not our 9 hitter has enough speed, and whether it matters.

BTW, I'm also predicting right now Everett will not lose a starting lineup spot when Frank returns.