PDA

View Full Version : Preseason excitement?

tsamdog
01-24-2005, 02:49 PM
When was the last time as a Sox fan you were looking forward to an upcoming year as much as 2005?

I recall the offseason of Wells and Belle. It seems that every offseason it's some other team making moves to make themselves better through free agency and/or trades. This year, KW has made every effort to make the 2005 White Sox a contender. I am not sure there are any holes left to fill. Thoughts?

NSSoxFan
01-24-2005, 02:50 PM
When was the last time as a Sox fan you were looking forward to an upcoming year as much as 2005?

I recall the offseason of Wells and Belle. It seems that every offseason it's some other team making moves to make themselves better through free agency and/or trades. This year, KW has made every effort to make the 2005 White Sox a contender. I am not sure there are any holes left to fill. Thoughts?

That's easy, 2001. I don't think any summarization is needed, right?

Mohoney
01-24-2005, 02:52 PM
I was really hyped by the offseason heading into 2003, with the trades for Colon and Koch and the signing of Flash Gordon.

01-24-2005, 02:54 PM
This is the most complete off season that I can remember and I love it....but whats our lineup now? They say Iguchi is a natural #2 man...So I See

Pods

Iguchi

Frank/Carl

Paulie

Dye

Rowand

Crede

Uribe

AJ

nebraskasox
01-24-2005, 02:55 PM
I was pretty excited in 03 when we got Colon. But, I agree - this is a revamped team. I'm ready for opening day. I think the only hole might be closer. I'm not too confident that Shingo's frisbees will continue to baffle hitters. I love what he's done but I'm afraid the league will catch on.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I was really hyped by the offseason heading into 2003, with the trades for Colon and Koch and the signing of Flash Gordon.

Ditto. I was giddy heading into 2003.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 02:58 PM
This is the most complete off season that I can remember and I love it....but whats our lineup now? They say Iguchi is a natural #2 man...So I See

One thing I like about the idea of Pods/Iguchi or Pods/Harris is that it's an absolutely deadly double-steal combo. Having those guys on base is going to make the middle of the order look very good as much as they're going to distract pitchers and force more frequent mistakes...

Chisox003
01-24-2005, 03:00 PM

When will us Sox fans stop getting hyped during the offseason only to watch it fall apart midway thru? Probably never, and Im with you guys, this is definitely the most excited I've been in a while...

Seeing the results of the last few seasons and where those moves have taken the team, of course we should be skeptical....But this is the most talented, well built all around balanced team in a looooong time...

Who knew in an offseason where we lost El Caballo, Mags, & Valentin we'd be sittin here talking about what a great year 2005 can be...Cant Wait

NSSoxFan
01-24-2005, 03:02 PM
One thing I like about the idea of Pods/Iguchi or Pods/Harris is that it's an absolutely deadly double-steal combo. Having those guys on base is going to make the middle of the order look very good as much as they're going to distract pitchers and force more frequent mistakes...

Randar, who do you think is the better base stealing threat, Harris or Iguchi?

Randar68
01-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Randar, who do you think is the better base stealing threat, Harris or Iguchi?

Well, Harris is undoubtedly faster. I don't know for certain, not having seen Iguchi play, but I have a feeling he has much better instincts. He's also older, so I don't know if he still has the speed he had in 2003 when he stole ~42 bases IIRC. With Raines and Podsednick, I was hoping Harris would pick a lot up by osmosis. One of his problems is once he got picked off a couple times, he just lost all confidence and aggressiveness. I just don't think he really knows how to read pitchers/catchers. Something he never had to learn in the minors or HS/college with all that speed, but it get's exposed here and he get's picked off leaning the wrong way.

I'm not too familiar with how good Japanese pitchers are at keeping runners on, either. Very tough to say.

SoxBoy14
01-24-2005, 04:11 PM
I was hyped for 2003, but this upcomming season is different than some of the previous because this is a new team. Last inning homeruns won't be as common as they have been in the past, but hopefully with this new team that won't be needed. I really like our pitching staff and our whole lineup. If everyone stays healthy this will be an exciting year, then again have we ever been bored with the Sox?:D:

HomeFish
01-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Upon hearing of the Sox acquisition of Kenny Lofton before the 2002 season, I proclaimed that there was no way we could lose the division that year.

The Sox then proceeded to show me several ways in which the division could be lost. It was almost impressive.

OEO Magglio
01-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Upon hearing of the Sox acquisition of Kenny Lofton before the 2002 season, I proclaimed that there was no way we could lose the division that year.

The Sox then proceeded to show me several ways in which the division could be lost. It was almost impressive.
Ya, the sox had extraordinary pitching that year I'm more excited about this season then I've been about any season in a while and I'm always real excited about every single year. This is a such a good overall team there isn't one hole on the team, there are some question marks but no glaring marks, however no matter how good the sox are I've learned never to count out the twinks, they'll be there hopefully this year the sox will be able to take them down though.

zach074
01-24-2005, 07:20 PM
I was excited last year so this year im supper excited!:bandance:

wassagstdu
01-24-2005, 09:59 PM
I put 2005 in the same category as the mid 1950s and 1989. This could be a very fun season!

Jurr
01-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Kenny said that he wanted to take the team into a new direction. That usually means rebuilding. It seems like this team has gone in a new direction while maintaining a pretty impressive lineup. I'm happy.

batmanZoSo
01-24-2005, 10:16 PM

That's exactly right. One thing we haven't been doing the last four years is putting pressure on the battery and forcing mistakes. We've been making plenty of them...

I personally haven't been this excited since 2001. And that exploded in a matter of two weeks.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-24-2005, 10:25 PM
I can't go with 2003, because Manual was still around. Probably 1984. Adding Seaver to the best staff around seemed to be the final piece.

TheBull19
01-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Well, Harris is undoubtedly faster. .

From what I've read Iguchi has Ichiro speed.

As for the question of the thread, I'd have to say the last time I was more excited about the sox going into a season, I'd have to say '92-94.

Lip Man 1
01-25-2005, 12:41 PM
1994. The Sox had actually won something the season earlier and unlike 2001, half of the pitching staff wasn't either in the hospital or trying to recover from surgery. Helping matters was that unlike in 1993, the Sox of 1994 had five competent starters.

We know how that season turned out didn't we?
Lip