PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Pick a Nickname for Tadahito Iguchi thread!

FightingBillini
01-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, if he is going to be on our team we need a nickname for him. Here are the choices. For those who don't understand the last two, they are from a bad translation of a Japanese article posted in the "Love Connection" thread in Whats the Score?

longshot7
01-24-2005, 02:08 PM
how about Taddy.... or Tadpole?

Iguana775
01-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I have a patent on Iggy.

mweflen
01-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Gooch.

Monosylabbic, easy to yell, reminiscent of a real word, can be turned into a verb: "to Gooch" or "Gooched" i.e. "He Gooched him out of that hit" or "man, that guy got Gooched!"

So we have:

1. Pods
2. Gooch
3. Big Frank
4. Paul-eee
5. Crazy Carl
6. A-Row
7. Dye?
8. Uribe?
9. Crede?

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Gooch.

Monosylabbic, easy to yell, reminiscent of a real word, can be turned into a verb: "to Gooch" or "Gooched" i.e. "He Gooched him out of that hit" or "man, that guy got Gooched!"

lol...my family nickname (mostly me and my dad) is "Chooch" derived from Chuchman. It is a pretty cool nickname for sports and awesome to hear people yell CHOOOOOOOOCH, so I second Gooch. :smile:

nccwsfan
01-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Does he have a nickname in Japan? That would be a start....

Nick@Nite
01-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Tiger

Tekijawa
01-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Gooch.

And close enough to a Racial slur that I think we'll have to nix this one... The last thing White Sox fans need is to have Legue Highlights replayed over the Chants of 16 thousand strong chanting Gooch at someone of Asian Decent!

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 02:14 PM
And close enough to a Racial slur that I think we'll have to nix this one... The last thing White Sox fans need is to have Legue Highlights replayed over the Chants of 16 thousand strong chanting Gooch at someone of Asian Decent!

:(:

mweflen
01-24-2005, 02:18 PM

Man, you must be watching a lot of MASH re-runs... that's such an archaic slur that no one under 50 (or no one who hadn't watched a lot of MASH) would ever recognize it!

In the alternative... how about Gucci?

Tekijawa
01-24-2005, 02:18 PM
lol...my family nickname (mostly me and my dad) is "Chooch" derived from Chuchman. It is a pretty cool nickname for sports and awesome to hear people yell CHOOOOOOOOCH, so I second Gooch. :smile:

Goochi would probably work a lot better.

mweflen
01-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Goochi would be a good repetitive chant, and it has the luxury association.

MRKARNO
Gooch.

So we have:

1. Pods
2. Gooch
3. Big Frank
4. Paul-eee
5. Crazy Carl
6. A-Row
7. Dye?
8. Uribe?
9. Crede?

You need a catcher in that lineup. AJ pierzynski in the 8 or nine hole and one of Everett, Dye, Rowand, Podsednik or Frank needs to sit.

Tekijawa
Man, you must be watching a lot of MASH re-runs... that's such an archaic slur that no one under 50 (or no one who hadn't watched a lot of MASH) would ever recognize it!

My guess is with all the positive media coverage we get nationally We should probably stay as far away from any mis-interpretations as possible... no matter how old...

mweflen
01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
My guess is with all the positive media coverage we get nationally We should probably stay as far away from any mis-interpretations as possible... no matter how old...

Gucci it is then :redneck

MRKARNO
I can just see the headline:

Sox spend big: Get (I)guchi

ja1022
Gooey.

mweflen
You need a catcher in that lineup. AJ pierzynski in the 8 or nine hole and one of Everett, Dye, Rowand, Podsednik or Frank needs to sit.

A lot of AJ's nicknames are probably not fit to print :D:

JoseCanseco6969
01-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Gooch.

Mark me down for GOOCH!

mweflen
01-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Mark me down for GOOCH!

Teki the PC meister has amended it to Goochi, which I am down with. Just as memorable, and you can still use the "Gooch" verb tense.

Let's go, Gucci, let's go! ((Clap Clap))

Tekijawa
01-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Teki the PC meister has amended it to Goochi, which I am down with. Just as memorable, and you can still use the "Gooch" verb tense.

Didn't mean to ruin the fun... But I think with the fan base that a move like this will likely build, that we should avoid any possible confusion.

Baby Fisk
01-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Fans in Japan sometimes shout "Ganbatte!" to their players. It's roughly translated as "Go for it! / Do your best! / Persevere!"

Gan-Bah-Tay!

mweflen
01-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Didn't mean to ruin the fun... But I think with the fan base that a move like this will likely build, that we should avoid any possible confusion.

Hey man, love, love. :tongue: I agree with you, and Gucci's just as good.

Gucci! :bandance: Gucci! :bandance: Gucci! :bandance:

HebrewHammer
01-24-2005, 02:55 PM
How about THE Gooch?

So instead of Arnold Jackson, can he beat up Willie Harris?

EMel9281
01-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Kamikaze

:D:

santo=dorf
01-24-2005, 03:27 PM

Nah, I think it sounds more like a slang for a female's private area.

But it is the best sounding nickname so far. :D:

FireReinsdorf
01-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Tad (Ghostal)

PaleHoseGeorge
01-24-2005, 03:36 PM

I'm guessing this has already been pointed out to you and others in your family, but "chooch" is Italian-American slang for dummy or idiot.

Make sure they're laughing with you and not at you.
:wink:

BigEdWalsh
01-24-2005, 03:39 PM
:harry&jimmy
"Jimmy, Tadahito backwards is Oti Had At"

:harry&jimmy
"Harry, Iguchi backwards is Steve Sax"

Pete Ward
01-24-2005, 03:48 PM
状況に私を取る群集と私を連れて行きなさい。 うわー!
:smile:

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Goochi would probably work a lot better.

Hey, that works for me too. "Choochie" is what my real close friends call me. :wink:

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm guessing this has already been pointed out to you and others in your family, but "chooch" is Italian-American slang for dummy or idiot.

Make sure they're laughing with you and not at you.
:wink:

My mother is Italian. My father is Ukranian. If anybody is an idiot, it would be my mother's side of the family. The joke is on them, those Bridgeport lowlifes. :wink:

chaz171
01-24-2005, 03:55 PM
I hereby cast my vote for Gooch!

SoxBoy14
01-24-2005, 03:58 PM
I hereby cast my vote for Gooch!

I second that motion:smile:

Baby Fisk
01-24-2005, 04:00 PM
My mother is Italian. My father is Ukranian. If anybody is an idiot, it would be my mother's side of the family. The joke is on them, those Bridgeport lowlifes. :wink:

I'm holding up PH13's post as cover for my outrageous thread hijack here:

:hijacked:

Can anyone confirm what Konerko's ethnicity is (uh...other than the obvious "American"...you know what I mean...)?

Flight #24
01-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Can anyone confirm what Konerko's ethnicity is (uh...other than the obvious "American"...you know what I mean...)?

I believe that it's got Ukrainian roots. At least that's I heard from someone who'd from the former Soviet Union when she heard the name.

Baby Fisk
01-24-2005, 04:15 PM
I believe that it's got Ukrainian roots. At least that's I heard from someone who'd from the former Soviet Union when she heard the name.

That's what I thought too. Something from eastern eastern europe. Hijack is over!

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 04:21 PM
That's what I thought too. Something from eastern eastern europe. Hijack is over!

I checked with the Ellis Island website and the only "Konerko" immigrant was listed as Russian Polish.

Baby Fisk
01-24-2005, 04:25 PM
I checked with the Ellis Island website and the only "Konerko" immigrant was listed as Russian Polish.
Wow! Most impressive. Free pint for you! :cheers: (still waiting for the slice o' pizza tag)

soxwon
01-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Tadahito "I HIT YOU" Iguchi

batmanZoSo
01-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Please, no "Tads" or anything like that. We already have "Pods" and already had "Maggs," and lord knows there's already a "Kaz." I'm sick of those kind of knicknames.

I say go with Da Gooch. In honor of the bully that beat up Arnold Drummond on Diff'rent Strokes.

zach074
01-24-2005, 09:16 PM
状況に私を取る群集と私を連れて行きなさい。 うわー!
:smile:

yea, what ever you say.:?:

Whitesox029
01-24-2005, 09:20 PM
7. Dye?
8. Uribe?
9. Crede?

Hawk calls Uribe "Jose Uribe" sometimes but I'm not sure why...I think he just forgot his name was Juan. Crede can be Krede. The only shortcoming of that one is that you can't hear the difference, it has to be written (tailor-made for WSIers!)
As for Dye...I have no idea.

minastirith67
01-24-2005, 09:24 PM

Depending on the time of immigration, 'Russian Polish' could mean anything from the aforementioned to Lithuanian, Ukrainian, German, or a number of other ethic groups as Poland didn't exist as a nation-state until after the First World War. You can thank the Russian empire for its numerous partitions of the current geographic Poland.

uribeisgod5
01-24-2005, 09:32 PM
my vote is for Gooch

batmanZoSo
01-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Hawk calls Uribe "Jose Uribe" sometimes but I'm not sure why...I think he just forgot his name was Juan. Crede can be Krede. The only shortcoming of that one is that you can't hear the difference, it has to be written (tailor-made for WSIers!)
As for Dye...I have no idea.

If he becomes a "cancer" in the clubhouse, he could be Red Dye No. 2.

(isn't that the die that causes cancer? e.g. don't eat the red M&M's in the 80s?)

DickAllen72
01-24-2005, 09:46 PM
I vote for "benevolence infielder (30)". :)

Takatsufan
01-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Gooch.

So we have:

1. Pods
2. Gooch
3. Big Frank
4. Paul-eee
5. Crazy Carl
6. A-Row
7. Dye?
8. Uribe?
9. Crede?

Dye could be "Dye Job" like when he has an amazing catch or hits a home run, Hawk could say "that guy just got a Dye Job"

What about "Ribe" for Uribe?

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-24-2005, 10:00 PM
i like the gooch

batmanZoSo
01-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Dye could be "Dye Job" like when he has an amazing catch or hits a home run, Hawk could say "that guy just got a Dye Job"

What about "Ribe" for Uribe?

I came up with McRibe last year in honor of that sweet, suculant sandwich at McDonald's.

rmusacch
01-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Well, if he is going to be on our team we need a nickname for him. Here are the choices. For those who don't understand the last two, they are from a bad translation of a Japanese article posted in the "Love Connection" thread in Whats the Score?'

Why does every player have to have a nickname? Taddy freaking sounds like he is a cute and cuddly. Oh I forgot, most of you guys are in high school.

JackParkman
01-24-2005, 10:57 PM
How about THE Gooch?

So instead of Arnold Jackson, can he beat up Willie Harris?

What you talking about Willis?

RichFitztightly
01-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Well, I can tell nobody here watches that show Hope and Faith or whatever the name of that show is with Kelly Ripa. Anyways, Kelly Ripa's husband guest starred on the show as a baseball player nicknamed... Gooch!!!

*Ahem* I don't ever watch that show, it just happened to be on while I was watching TV the other day.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-24-2005, 11:32 PM
I like "Rad Tad"-ahito Iguchi.

Or Tadzilla to join up with Podzilla?

HebrewHammer
01-25-2005, 12:05 AM
What you talking about Willis?

Finally! I was worried no one else got the joke.

Sad
01-25-2005, 07:10 AM
heard the update guy (Tom Shearer?) on ESPN 1000 this morning suggest "The Gooch" after a caller did the same.

FireReinsdorf
01-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Depending on the time of immigration, 'Russian Polish' could mean anything from the aforementioned to Lithuanian, Ukrainian, German, or a number of other ethic groups as Poland didn't exist as a nation-state until after the First World War. You can thank the Russian empire for its numerous partitions of the current geographic Poland.

Russia was 1/3 of the Polish partition party. Don't forget Ze Germans and the Austrian-Hungarian Empire.

I also prefer to call the Nazi Soviet Ribbentrop Molotov treaty the fourth partition of Poland. We allowed parts of that treaty to remain in effect until the end of the cold war (i.e. Soviet control of Poland and the Baltics)

My vote is still "Tad Ghostal"

California Sox
01-25-2005, 10:03 AM

Or convert Crazy Carl to catcher. :bandance:

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Gooch.

So we have:

1. Pods
2. Gooch
3. Big Frank
4. Paul-eee
5. Crazy Carl
6. A-Row
7. Dye?
8. Uribe?
9. Crede?

I like Gooch also. For Jermaine, a simple JD would work (Hawk Harrelson - "light 'em up here JD")