PDA

View Full Version : Sox Confirm: Iguchi joins Sox!

Pages : [1] 2

chisoxlawyer
01-24-2005, 10:10 AM
According to soxtalk.com they are saying that the japanese newspapers are reporting that we signed Iguchi. Does anybody have any more information on this?:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Tekijawa
01-24-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm guessing about 100 replies before this is confirmed as a rumor... Add it to the moster thread!

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm guessing about 100 replies before this is confirmed as a rumor... Add it to the moster thread!

Not sure what to do now. Saw the title and got all excited...read the thread and am like :?:

Toning down excitement until it is reported by an American source. You know how those moth men in Japan can be with mosquitoes!

DaveIsHere
01-24-2005, 10:18 AM

Werd

Plus you have to love people with two posts making these big claims:mad:

IlliniSox
01-24-2005, 10:19 AM
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/050124/kyodo/d87qer781.html

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 10:21 AM

Hmmmm...interesting. It's making me more hopeful.

Jerko
01-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Hey, it's 9:00 Monday evening in Japan, so maybe it just didn't happen here in the States yet. We'll know in about 12 hours.

DaveIsHere
01-24-2005, 10:22 AM

hhhhmmmmmmmmm

soxfan26
01-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Hmmmm...interesting. It's making me more hopeful.

Until we find out it as written in the Japanese Enquirer. :cool:

idseer
01-24-2005, 10:23 AM
i've seen phoney web pages like this too....

confirmation will be nice.

OG4LIFE
01-24-2005, 10:26 AM
anyone know if he can play SS?

AZChiSoxFan
01-24-2005, 10:27 AM
According to soxtalk.com they are saying that the japanese newspapers are reporting that we signed Iguchi. Does anybody have any more information on this?:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

I'm sure ChiSoxTony does.

ukigdog
01-24-2005, 10:29 AM
the website isnt phony, if you go through yahoo.com and try to get to it you find the website. So its legit website the yahoo one.

1. Go to www.yahoo.com
2. On bottom right, click on See all yahoo international sites.
3. Click on Asia
4. then click news along top
5. in the search yahoo news type iguchi
6. first article that comes up is iguchi signs with white sox!!

So it is legit.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 10:30 AM
anyone know if he can play SS?

IIRC, he used to but had an arm injury (and surgery) so now he plays second.

idseer
01-24-2005, 10:30 AM
so it would seem.

just the same ... i'll wait for confirmation.

mweflen
01-24-2005, 10:33 AM
This looks pretty legit. Yahoo is a pretty hard domain to fake or piggyback off of. Also, why would anyone waste their time faking a White Sox story about a medium level player? There is no apparent motivation. And, Japanese news services are just as reliable as US ones (probably moreso given today's US political climate).

My only reservation - remember that it's "sources close to Iguchi" and not an official release. Vizquel is a name that pops into memory here...

OG4LIFE
01-24-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm sure ChiSoxTony does.

lmao- did he get banned?

guys, guys, my girlfriend's cousin was in a japan airport, and he saw iguchi's agent! her cousin speaks japanese too, and he said that iguchi's agent was saying 'yep, thanks kenny, we've got a deal...' WE GOT IGUCHI!

SOXintheBURGH
01-24-2005, 10:36 AM
After the Steelers game this is a pleasant way to start the new day... please be true.. please be true...

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 10:39 AM
anyone know if he can play SS?I asked Bruce Levine about this when I saw him at SoxFest. He said he's strictly a 2B. So they'd need another utility IF to back up SS. Looks to me that if they get Iguchi, Willie Harris is on the bubble. I can't see how they can carry 7 IF.

fledgedrallycap
01-24-2005, 10:39 AM

jabrch
01-24-2005, 10:41 AM
He could play SS in emergencies, but I wouldn't want to see that on any sort of regular basis. If we sign him, it is to play 2B. It might mean that Willie is on his way out - not that I imagine he has a ton of trade value.

Clembasbal
01-24-2005, 10:45 AM
I like the possibility of actually getting this guy. Paying him 2.3 million is not bad, but paying him 2.3 million means that he will not sit the bench for the White Sox. JR and Kenny will not allow that.

Willie has to be on his way out. I can only think of him being traded for a nimor leaguer, I still think he is too valuable to be released.

ukigdog
http://japanball.com/news.phtml?id=2984

nccwsfan
Probably been posted before, but here are his stats at Fukuoka:

http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=970

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 10:46 AM
He could play SS in emergencies, but I wouldn't want to see that on any sort of regular basis. If we sign him, it is to play 2B. It might mean that Willie is on his way out - not that I imagine he has a ton of trade value.At SoxFest Kenny stressed that they were going to have to find a utility IF that can back up at SS. Based on what I've heard, it sounds like they're going to want someone besides Iguchi. That would make 7 IF if Harris makes the team. They could carry 7 IF until Thomas comes back (assuming 11 pitchers), but when he does, someone has to go, and the 7th IF seems like the least valuable player.

duke of dorwood
01-24-2005, 10:48 AM
I feel so much better now about the ticket $ I recently spent. One this team gels, it should be pretty good.

cbrownson13
01-24-2005, 10:48 AM
I just listened to the Sportscenter Update - - Nothing. But that doesn't mean much.

I checked his stats, he played SS up until 2001 when he switched over to 2B. I don't think we want this guy for anything other than 2B anyways.

Tekijawa
01-24-2005, 10:52 AM
OOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOOO IGUCHI-SAN!

They needed someone to use that for? Still waiting for american confirmation.

tsamdog
01-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Went to another site, japanesebaseball.com, and they are reporting a 2 year deal , 2.3 mill per, with incentives. The soup thickens........

Lem_Siddons
01-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Does he still have the speed from 2001 when he was the leading stolen base guy? I'ts a little difficult sorting out truth from message board guesses and unofficial negotiations and marketing crap.

We're going to need scorecards for the first few weeks of the season. By the time Frank makes it back, he might not know anyone :D:

mweflen
01-24-2005, 11:07 AM
I doubt Willie is on the way out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on him or something - I just think: 1.he is the guy who the Sox think is the 2B of the future, just not the present 2:from the 25 man roster scheme of things, if we carry 11 pitchers, 1 backup catcher, and Big Frank on the DL, there is still room for Willie as the 2nd backup IF (with Rossie.)

25 men including Frank:

1. Scott Podsednik
2. Juan Uribe
3. Paul Konerko
4. Jermaine Dye
5. Aaron Rowand
6. AJ Pierzynski
7. Carl Everett
8. Tadahito Iguchi
9. Joe Crede

10. Ross Gload
11. Willie Harris
12. Frank Thomas
13. Timo Perez
14. Ben Davis

15. MArk Buehrle
16. Freddy Garcia
17. Orlando Hernandez
18. Jose Contreras
19. Jon Garland

20. Neal Cotts
21. Dustin Hermanson
22. Cliff Politte
23. Luis Vizcaino
24. Damaso Marte
25. Shingo Takatsu

Am I missing anyone?

Flight #24
01-24-2005, 11:07 AM
Went to another site, japanesebaseball.com, and they are reporting a 2 year deal , 2.3 mill per, with incentives. The soup thickens........

So far, the reports I've seen (3 of them), all have the exact same wording, making it look like they're from the same source.....all these "independent" confirmations may just be like me telling ON2 a rumor, then him confirming it when I post it on the board....

Flight #24
01-24-2005, 11:09 AM
I doubt Willie is on the way out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on him or something - I just think: 1.he is the guy who the Sox think is the 2B of the future, just not the present 2:from the 25 man roster scheme of things, if we carry 11 pitchers, 1 backup catcher, and Big Frank on the DL, there is still room for Willie as the 2nd backup IF (with Rossie.)

25 men including Frank:

1. Scott Podsednik
2. Juan Uribe
3. Paul Konerko
4. Jermaine Dye
5. Aaron Rowand
6. AJ Pierzynski
7. Carl Everett
8. Tadahito Iguchi
9. Joe Crede

10. Ross Gload
11. Willie Harris
12. Frank Thomas
13. Timo Perez
14. Ben Davis

15. MArk Buehrle
16. Freddy Garcia
17. Orlando Hernandez
18. Jose Contreras
19. Jon Garland

20. Neal Cotts
21. Dustin Hermanson
22. Cliff Politte
23. Luis Vizcaino
24. Damaso Marte
25. Shingo Takatsu

Am I missing anyone?

You have noone to backup at SS, assuming Iguchi's arm can't handle it. Alsol, I doubt they sign a guy who posted OBPs near 400 just to bat him 8th (not to mention trading for a speedster, only to bat him behind Slow-Joe Crede). Iguchi 2d, Crede 8th, Uribe 9th.

tsamdog
01-24-2005, 11:09 AM
So far, the reports I've seen (3 of them), all have the exact same wording, making it look like they're from the same source.....all these "independent" confirmations may just be like me telling ON2 a rumor, then him confirming it when I post it on the board....

Exactly..... Like you, I wouldn't get too excited until we can get some confirmation.

nccwsfan
01-24-2005, 11:12 AM

25 men including Frank:

1. Scott Podsednik
2. Juan Uribe
3. Paul Konerko
4. Jermaine Dye
5. Aaron Rowand
6. AJ Pierzynski
7. Carl Everett
8. Tadahito Iguchi
9. Joe Crede

10. Ross Gload
11. Willie Harris
12. Frank Thomas
13. Timo Perez
14. Ben Davis

15. MArk Buehrle
16. Freddy Garcia
17. Orlando Hernandez
18. Jose Contreras
19. Jon Garland

20. Neal Cotts
21. Dustin Hermanson
22. Cliff Politte
23. Luis Vizcaino
24. Damaso Marte
25. Shingo Takatsu

Am I missing anyone?

:yup:
Looks about right, as long as they go with 11 pitchers...

jabrch
01-24-2005, 11:19 AM
I doubt Willie is on the way out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on him or something - I just think: 1.he is the guy who the Sox think is the 2B of the future, just not the present

You think? Ozzie doesn't seem to be so fond of him. I'm not sure that he plans on him having a huge future with the club. If he did, why would KW spend 2.3mm per for 2 years on another 2B instead of having used that money to go after a better SP than El Duque?

nah - this indicates to me that Willie's days here are numbered. Arizona needs a 2B. So does KC. I gotta imagine we might be able to get something from one of them for him? I wonder if KC would give us Graffanino and the difference between the two contracts? I wouldn't mind Graffy back to back up at all the IF spots.

mweflen
01-24-2005, 11:19 AM
You have noone to backup at SS, assuming Iguchi's arm can't handle it. Alsol, I doubt they sign a guy who posted OBPs near 400 just to bat him 8th (not to mention trading for a speedster, only to bat him behind Slow-Joe Crede). Iguchi 2d, Crede 8th, Uribe 9th.

Lineup considerations aside, (I do not pretend to know what the best order will be, or how Ozzie's unique mind works) the reasons I think this will be the 25 man roster are:

-If indeed thay are paying Iguchi 2.x mil this year, it seems unlikely they will go out and sign another player when they already have a cheap IF option in hand (Willie)

-Iguchi has played SS for extended stretches in his career

-Willie also fills the need for an additional backup OF and lefty bat

It's just the simplest argument given the facts we apparently have.

ukigdog
01-24-2005, 11:21 AM
it was just reported on the SCORE its official i think now !!!

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 11:21 AM
You think? Ozzie doesn't seem to be so fond of him. I'm not sure that he plans on him having a huge future with the club. If he did, why would KW spend 2.3mm per for 2 years on another 2B instead of having used that money to go after a better SP than El Duque?

nah - this indicates to me that Willie's days here are numbered. Arizona needs a 2B. So does KC. I gotta imagine we might be able to get something from one of them for him? I wonder if KC would give us Graffanino and the difference between the two contracts? I wouldn't mind Graffy back to back up at all the IF spots.

I agree. I don't see Willie in the future plans if this is true because a utility infielder is needed. I would love Willie for Graffy.

VenturaFan23
01-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Iguchi has come to an agreement with the White Sox. That was pretty much the report. no contract details, but it was just reported so it must be true.

Flight #24
Lineup considerations aside, (I do not pretend to know what the best order will be, or how Ozzie's unique mind works) the reasons I think this will be the 25 man roster are:

-If indeed thay are paying Iguchi 2.x mil this year, it seems unlikely they will go out and sign another player when they already have a cheap IF option in hand (Willie)

It's just the simplest argument given the facts we apparently have.

From the stats I've seen, he hasn't played any SS since the arm injury and the move to 2B. That makes me leery of relying on him as the backup - I'd bet we see Valdez on the team and/or Willie traded unless he makes a big splash in ST.

hosieryofthegods
The score is reporting a japanese paper says Iguchi signs. :cool:

SOXintheBURGH
01-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Still waiting for whitesox.com or espn.com or anything since I don't get the score.

mweflen

Hey now, if Tony G is an option, I'd take him in less than a heartbeat. I'd take him over Willie in a left ventricle contraction.

in addition to the reasons I just posted above, it seems unlikely that they would talk and talk about Willie's upside, their plans for teaching and training him (i.e. Rock Raines), and all that jazz if they were totally down on him and had no plans for him in the mid-term. They'd do the Borchard soft sell instead: "we're not giving up on him yet, we need to be patient, etc."

I think the Iguchi signing (if it happens, which seems likely) is a "win now" kind of signing. They're getting a guy they think can hit .270+/.390 OBP+ and steal some bags NOW. 2 years from now, Willie will still be pretty young, and hopefully will have figured some things out (how to steal, how to hit lefties, you know, that sort of stuff) without a high pressure environment.

Ol' No. 2

It's just the simplest argument given the facts we apparently have.At SoxFest, Kenny made a point of saying he wanted someone who could backup at SS. I don't think Iguchi can play SS since his injury, so they'd need another roster spot for a utility IF. Maybe they are planning on having Iguchi back up at SS, too. I wanted to ask Kenny about it, but couldn't get to the front of the line. I guess we'll see.

Lem_Siddons
01-24-2005, 11:25 AM
soxtalk has it earlier today and I thought we had a thread here, but it seems to have disappeared :D:

Any rate, Yahoo Japan reported it first, but most Internet hits all seem to be quoting the same source so who knows. I want to see someone in a Sox cap announce it.

mweflen
01-24-2005, 11:26 AM
From the stats I've seen, he hasn't played any SS since the arm injury and the move to 2B. That makes me leery of relying on him as the backup - I'd bet we see Valdez on the team and/or Willie traded unless he makes a big splash in ST.

Saying a guy will never play a position in a backup capacity because of a past injury seems a little odd - shouldn't we say that El Duque will never be a starter again then, because of his arm injury? Injuries heal. I think the Sox are relying on Iguchi as a very infrequent backup (like, never if they can manage it), and relying on Juan to play without injury due to his youth.

Flight #24
01-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Saying a guy will never play a position in a backup capacity because of a past injury seems a little odd - shouldn't we say that El Duque will never be a starter again then, because of his arm injury? Injuries heal. I think the Sox are relying on Iguchi as a very infrequent backup (like, never if they can manage it), and relying on Juan to play without injury due to his youth.

My point is just that for whatever reason, I can't find any indication that he played at all at SS since the injury. No fielding stats at that position. That would make me very nervous about planning on him as your beckup SS. Maybe they've checked his shoulder out and it's fine, maybe his Japan team just had an ARod like player at SS so Iguchi never got a shot. But putting all the data together, I'm worred about his arm strength and ability to do more than be a real emergency fillin. That leaves no leeway for any injury, days off, or in a worst case scenario, either Uribe or Crede to just plain slump/suck.

mdep524
01-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Wow, if this is true KW just filled our two biggest holes- a high OBP guy and a 2B- in one fell swoop for a potentially bargain price. :bandance:

mweflen
01-24-2005, 11:32 AM
My point is just that for whatever reason, I can't find any indication that he played at all at SS since the injury. No fielding stats at that position. That would make me very nervous about planning on him as your beckup SS. Maybe they've checked his shoulder out and it's fine, maybe his Japan team just had an ARod like player at SS so Iguchi never got a shot. But putting all the data together, I'm worred about his arm strength and ability to do more than be a real emergency fillin. That leaves no leeway for any injury, days off, or in a worst case scenario, either Uribe or Crede to just plain slump/suck.

I agree with your reservations wholeheartedly. I am just not confident in Sox management's deep pockets or willingness to forego a cheap and risky option (Harris on the bench, Iguchi as backup) for the more expensive option (trade Willie, bring in a FA or traded-for SS backup).

The other wild card is Valdez. Hasn't he played SS? I think they're willing to go with the 25 man roster I posted, and call up Valdez in an injury pinch. If Frank is on the DL to start the season, then it's even money as to whether his spot is taken by Cotts/Adkins or Valdez.

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 11:33 AM
My point is just that for whatever reason, I can't find any indication that he played at all at SS since the injury. No fielding stats at that position. That would make me very nervous about planning on him as your beckup SS. Maybe they've checked his shoulder out and it's fine, maybe his Japan team just had an ARod like player at SS so Iguchi never got a shot. But putting all the data together, I'm worred about his arm strength and ability to do more than be a real emergency fillin. That leaves no leeway for any injury, days off, or in a worst case scenario, either Uribe or Crede to just plain slump/suck.As I said, I asked Bruce Levine specifically about this and he said no way. They'd get another utility IF to back up at SS. Maybe he's just guessing, but he usually has his finger in the Sox pulse pretty well.

DaleJRFan
01-24-2005, 11:34 AM

Why? Uribe managed pretty damn well backing up 3B last season with no prior experience playing that position. Considering Iguchi does have prior SS experience, injury or not, if needed, I am certain he could play the position for a handful of games.

Infallible
01-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Wow, if this is true KW just filled our two biggest holes- a high OBP guy and a 2B- in one fell swoop for a potentially bargain price. :bandance:

Before we all find ourselves volunteering for a position under KW's desk as his "personal" assistant, lets wait and see what the season brings. I'll admit its starting to look good, alot better than it has for the past 3 seasons. Now if our guys can stay healthy, that'll be the key. If Iguchi does find his way, good we have nothing to lose with utilizing him over Willie "Mays Hayes" Harris.

Unregistered
01-24-2005, 11:36 AM
25 men including Frank:

1. Scott Podsednik
2. Juan Uribe
3. Paul Konerko
4. Jermaine Dye
5. Aaron Rowand
6. AJ Pierzynski
7. Carl Everett
8. Tadahito Iguchi
9. Joe Crede

10. Ross Gload
11. Willie Harris
12. Frank Thomas
13. Timo Perez
14. Ben Davis

15. MArk Buehrle
16. Freddy Garcia
17. Orlando Hernandez
18. Jose Contreras
19. Jon Garland

20. Neal Cotts
21. Dustin Hermanson
22. Cliff Politte
23. Luis Vizcaino
24. Damaso Marte
25. Shingo Takatsu

Am I missing anyone? What about Kevin Walker? I assume that since they signed him for $450k this offseason, he's gonna make the roster.(?) That means someone on there has to go...

JRIG
01-24-2005, 11:38 AM
What about Kevin Walker? I assume that since they signed him for $450k this offseason, he's gonna make the roster.(?) That means someone on there has to go...

Walker is also guaranteed a small portion of his contract. I wouldn't bet on his place on the roster.

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 11:39 AM
it was just reported on the SCORE its official i think now !!!

This board is probably their source. BTW...that is not supposed to be in teal.

jabrch
01-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Before we all find ourselves volunteering for a position under KW's desk as his "personal" assistant, lets wait and see what the season brings. I'll admit its starting to look good, alot better than it has for the past 3 seasons. Now if our guys can stay healthy, that'll be the key. If Iguchi does find his way, good we have nothing to lose with utilizing him over Willie "Mays Hayes" Harris.

A GM can only put the right pieces in place. Credit KW for appearing to have done that. Now it's up to the players to execute.

ukigdog
01-24-2005, 11:41 AM
White SOX CONFIRMED WITH SCORE, IGUCHI IS OUIRS!!!!

jabrch
01-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Sox CONFIRM signing Iguchi. No longer a rumor - confirmed by the White Sox - per WSCR.

CHISOXFAN13
01-24-2005, 11:42 AM
The Score has now said White Sox officials have confirmed the move.

STRETCH!!

Unregistered
01-24-2005, 11:44 AM
:threadrules:
:gulp:

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Sox CONFIRM signing Iguchi. No longer a rumor - confirmed by the White Sox - per WSCR.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

I love how KW flies under the radar. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Kenny, You da MAN!!!

patbooyah
01-24-2005, 11:49 AM
i think that today i am completely over my sadness from the meltdown of last year. you will be seeing a lot more of me.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 11:50 AM
The Score has now said White Sox officials have confirmed the move.

STRETCH!!

I wonder what this means for Harris? DO they move Harris if they can and go into the season with an IF of Crede/Uribe/Iguchi/Konerko with Wilson Valdez as their Utility IF or do they expect Iguchi to be able to play a dozen or so games at SS and keep Harris as a 2B/OF utility player?

Will be interesting to see if they truly have an open competition for the 2B spot...

jabrch
01-24-2005, 11:50 AM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

I love how KW flies under the radar. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Kenny, You da MAN!!!

He may not be Schuerholtz, Jocketty or Dombrowski. He may not be Epstein or Beane. But I gotta tell ya, I like Kenny Williams. I sure hope he finally shows the results that we have been hoping for during the past 4 years.

I think KW is going to shop Harris around now. I think a Harris for Graffanino + cash deal would make sense. I'd love to see Graff back.

idseer
01-24-2005, 11:52 AM
you have to hand it to kw. considering what this team looked like at the end of last season ... a pitiful ragtag bunch who lost their two best hitters, whose pitching was in shambles, no catcher, no second baseman, no basespeed, no shortstop, no right fielder, no money .............. it's nothing short of a miracle how we're going to look at the start of this coming season.

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 11:52 AM
He may not be Schuerholtz, Jocketty or Dombrowski. He may not be Epstein or Beane. But I gotta tell ya, I like Kenny Williams. I sure hope he finally shows the results that we have been hoping for during the past 4 years.

I think KW is going to shop Harris around now. I think a Harris for Graffanino + cash deal would make sense. I'd love to see Graff back.

I think he has put together a hell of a team with the budget he has. I can't wait for the season to start!!!!

Risk
01-24-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm pleased with the team that is put together on paper. :D:
Now if the players only can produce...

Risk

Flight #24
01-24-2005, 11:56 AM
So payrolls around what 75mil? Isnt that about right? Maybe even a bit higher when you factor in the ARow resigning?

Tekijawa
01-24-2005, 11:57 AM
I bet Magglio is Kicking himself, with his one good leg, for not being on this team this year...:D:

slavko
01-24-2005, 11:59 AM

IMHO, Iguchi or (gasp) Wille Harris or one of you guys could back up SS as badly as Graff plays it.

jabrch
01-24-2005, 12:00 PM
So payrolls around what 75mil? Isnt that about right? Maybe even a bit higher when you factor in the ARow resigning?

Yeah... Cheap and Stupid, huh? I like the way this team looks. JR seems to have at least spent a reasonable amount so far. Hopefully he has left KW some room to maneuver also. The farm system wasn't touched in the offseason - and looks like it is improving. Maybe, just maybe, things aren't as bad as the doom and gloomers thought?

anewman35
01-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah... Cheap and Stupid, huh? I like the way this team looks. JR seems to have at least spent a reasonable amount so far. Hopefully he has left KW some room to maneuver also. The farm system wasn't touched in the offseason - and looks like it is improving. Maybe, just maybe, things aren't as bad as the doom and gloomers thought?

No! Things are ALWAYS even worse than the doom and gloomers think! This team never does anything right! KW and JR are cheap and stupid! There's no reason they shouldn't spend at least $100 million dollars!:whiner:

Mickster
01-24-2005, 12:02 PM
you have to hand it to kw. considering what this team looked like at the end of last season ... a pitiful ragtag bunch who lost their two best hitters, whose pitching was in shambles, no catcher, no second baseman, no basespeed, no shortstop, no right fielder, no money .............. it's nothing short of a miracle how we're going to look at the start of this coming season.

Very true.

mdep524
01-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately, you guys are all overlooking the one bad part of this signing......

the death of the Monster Iguchi Love Connection thread. :whiner:

:)

Tekijawa
01-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Line up?

Podsednik
Iguchi
Everett/Frank
Pauly
Rowand
Dye
Uribe
Perzynski
Crede

I Really Like it!

And if Pods returns to what he did lat year you bat him 9th and have a guy who can get you 70 SB's at the bottom of the order... I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly am excited now!

Mickster
01-24-2005, 12:04 PM
I bet Magglio is Kicking himself, with his one good leg, for not being on this team this year...:D:

I corrected your teal above.

jabrch
01-24-2005, 12:05 PM
For those interested, your new favorite 2B can be found here... (Can you read Japanese?)

http://www.tadahito-iguchi.com/

ukigdog
01-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Offman just reported that the white sox think iguchi will hit in the.300's and will have 15 plus homers.

He also said that this may signal a trade of willie harris now!

IlliniSox
01-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Line up?

Podsednik
Iguchi
Everett/Frank
Pauly
Rowand
Dye
Uribe
Perzynski
Crede

I Really Like it!

And if Pods returns to what he did lat year you bat him 9th and have a guy who can get you 70 SB's at the bottom of the order... I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly am excited now!

That's a lineup, WAY TO GO KENNY!

jabrch
01-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Line up?

Podsednik
Iguchi
Everett/Frank
Pauly
Rowand
Dye
Uribe
Perzynski
Crede

I Really Like it!

I think I'd rather see Rowand hit #2. Let Iguchi get used to MLB pitching from the 5/6 hole. I also wouldn't mind Iguchi hitting 9. Put a good hitter at the bottom of the order to help turn the lineup a bit...

Kogs35
01-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Offman just reported that the white sox think iguchi will hit in the.300's and will have 15 plus homers.

willie harris being traded yessssssssss

SOXintheBURGH
01-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Podsednik
Iguchi
Everett/Frank
Pauly
Rowand
Dye
Uribe
Perzynski
Crede

Burly-mon
Garcia
Contraras
Duque
Garland

=

:hawk

"YES!!!!!!!!!"

HAAAROLD
01-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Just got confirmed a few minutes ago according to AM 1000. :D:

Unregistered
01-24-2005, 12:14 PM
For those interested, your new favorite 2B can be found here... (Can you read Japanese?)

http://www.tadahito-iguchi.com/ I translated his diary entry from late last year, and this is what turned up:
birthday noo celebration of writing wotakusan crown still more, thank you. inokuchi city virtue 30 year, age dream load atomization tte challenge shimasu. CUI nonaiyou with all one's might Hold on, groin next year, subara arbitrariness birthday wo meeting tight thought mass. living room leaf, one of the Japanese islands, far south of Honshu outflow character type Thore inside outflow long vowel mark to do. :hawk
"Mercy."

EMel9281
01-24-2005, 12:15 PM
willie harris being traded yessssssssss

I love the signing and demotion of Willie. But, in all honesty, who would want to trade for a virtually, untested 2B that can't hit lefties and has trouble stealing bases? I think we may be stuck with him, or he could be including in a package with someone else in a trade.

Willie Harris and Joe Borchard for...you name it!

tsamdog
01-24-2005, 12:16 PM

I am thinking of what are our needs with Iguchi being signed. Seems to me that we could use a utility IF that can play SS/3B as well as PR if needed. What's out there?

Palehose13
Just got confirmed a few minutes ago according to AM 1000. :D:

Are you listening via computer? I'm trying, but getting nothing. Is anyone else having problems with AM1000 via the internet?

ukigdog
Considering KW said that no more signings would happen unless he rid of some payroll before the CLEE trade the CLEE trade is now complete the way i see it:

Carlos Lee

for

Jose Vizcaino, Scott Podsednik, Orlando Hernandez, AJ Pierzynski, Tadahito Iguchi, and a PTBNL (forgot who we got)

Now that the trade is complete, i would have done this trade in a heartbeat!!!

California Sox
01-24-2005, 12:18 PM
And if Pods returns to what he did lat year you bat him 9th and have a guy who can get you 70 SB's at the bottom of the order...

Or Iguchi could lead off and we could get both Frank and Crazy Carl into the lineup!

Also, I'm not 100% sure Harris will be traded. They could get rid of Timo instead. With Dye, Podsednik, Gload, Carl, and Rowand all fighting for ABs ahead of him, when exactly does Timo play? And that's not even taking into account LTP's breakout season.

I'd keep Harris just in case Iguchi has trouble adjusting to base U.S.-style.

As far as a backup SS, we're no worse off than we were yesterday at this time.

I'm excited. :bandance:

mantis1212
01-24-2005, 12:19 PM
I love the signing and demotion of Willie. But, in all honesty, who would want to trade for a virtually, untested 2B that can't hit lefties and has trouble stealing bases? I think we may be stuck with him, or he could be including in a package with someone else in a trade.

Willie Harris and Joe Borchard for...you name it!

What's the hurry to trade Willie now anyway? I think he's now in a more appropriate position, a good bench player/pinch runner. It's not like he's making any money, right?

Flight #24
01-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Are you listening via computer? I'm trying, but getting nothing. Is anyone else having problems with AM1000 via the internet?

I'm not...I even called to complain and they said "Oh, maybe we need to turn it on"....Of course, that was about 30 min ago and still nothing,

Fungo
01-24-2005, 12:22 PM

Same thing for me. Their internet stream has been in & out for the last week or so.

SoxFan78
01-24-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm not...I even called to complain and they said "Oh, maybe we need to turn it on"....Of course, that was about 30 min ago and still nothing,

They are running "The Herd" on espn1000 right now, thats a national show. Since you can get that show off of espnradio.com, thats why you cant listen to it on espnradio1000.com.

Its the same situation when Dan Patrick comes on the air.

Tekijawa
01-24-2005, 12:24 PM
HURRY UP APRIL 4th...

This is the First time since the early 90's that I've been truly excited about this team!

EMel9281
You know what's even better about KW's offseason? Hendry's offseason...

KW has done so much more to improve this team than Hendry has done to improve the Flubs. They still have many holes and ?'s, but looking at the Sox, we're set.

Hangar18
WOW. Ok, I guess Kenny called my bluff and Im going to start learning
Japanese asap. This also will make me RENEW my season tickets.
WOW. The team is trying, and hes actually spending the $$$$$$
wisely. I AM ALL SMILES. Having South Side Willie on the Bench
actually makes HIM AND THE SOX much stronger. wow.
This team is now strong .......... up and down ...........Most holes filled ......
Wow. We are going to be GOOD this year .......this is baseball,
anything can happen now. Nice Job KW

Flight #24
01-24-2005, 12:25 PM
They are running "The Herd" on espn1000 right now, thats a national show. Since you can get that show off of espnradio.com, thats why you cant listen to it on espnradio1000.com.

Odd, usually I can get the national shows by clicking on the appropriate link from the espn100 "listen live" page. Oh well.

BRDSR
01-24-2005, 12:27 PM
What's the hurry to trade Willie now anyway? I think he's now in a more appropriate position, a good bench player/pinch runner. It's not like he's making any money, right?

I agree, I think trading Willie right now would be a mistake. Not much can be had for him and he's a the type of player that is almost more valuable off the bench than he is starting. Even if another player is not acquired to backup at SS, I can't imagine that Iguchi couldn't do it every once in awhile to give Uribe a break. The only problem comes when Uribe goes down with an injury that doesn't require him going on the DL but is still going to keep him out for a week or so. In that case the Sox' hands are kind of tied. Honestly though, when was the last time our biggest hole was the backup shortstop. I can't wait for spring training!

Fungo
01-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Earlier in the day they had "On Air: Silvy and the Wolf 9:00-12:00" on the website, that's why I was confused. I know they have bee running The Herd now and then. Maybe the auditions for the midday spot aren't going so well.

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 12:28 PM
This team is now strong .......... up and down ...........Most holes filled ......

Henry's happy? I'm worried. :wink:

jabrch
01-24-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm glad I got my 13 game package when I did...Pretty soon it's gonna be slim pickens for the top tier games including Cubs, Opening Day, Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers...

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.joc.or.jp/past_games/atlanta/athlete/baseball/images/iguchi-t.jpg
"Ahem...Photoshoppers!!! Get to work. I need a hat!"

mweflen
01-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Best.... Tomato.... Ever!!!!
:tomatoaward

By the way, Palehose13 - love the sig. Did you see the Brooks Boyer interview on whitesox.com in which he talks about Nancy? Unfortunately, he doesn't say they actually are going to use her more and nix some of the canned music... but it's a start :smile:

Tekijawa

I just marked it down in my calendar... give him a week though.

soltrain21
This is awesome. I am all smiles right now.

:bandance:

Mickster

:thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

SOXintheBURGH
01-24-2005, 12:32 PM
I agree, I think trading Willie right now would be a mistake. Not much can be had for him and he's a the type of player that is almost more valuable off the bench than he is starting. Even if another player is not acquired to backup at SS, I can't imagine that Iguchi couldn't do it every once in awhile to give Uribe a break. The only problem comes when Uribe goes down with an injury that doesn't require him going on the DL but is still going to keep him out for a week or so. In that case the Sox' hands are kind of tied. Honestly though, when was the last time our biggest hole was the backup shortstop. I can't wait for spring training!

I agree.. keep Willie around, we might need him someday when we need to clinch a pennant and Pauly is on second base in the 8th and we might need someone to run...

Iwritecode
01-24-2005, 12:34 PM

:o:

Stop the world, I want to get off...

DaveIsHere
01-24-2005, 12:36 PM
WOW, this is awesome, I mayy have to huury up and get one of the packages now!!!!

FightingBillini
01-24-2005, 12:37 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Yeah man, thats the good stuff!

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Best.... Tomato.... Ever!!!!

By the way, Palehose13 - love the sig. Did you see the Brooks Boyer interview on whitesox.com in which he talks about Nancy? Unfortunately, he doesn't say they actually are going to use her more and nix some of the canned music... but it's a start :smile:

Thanks! I did and I was at his seminar at Sox Fest. That is why I decided to make that sig. I know Brooks and others read the site, so I figure that we should be more vocal in our support of Nancy Faust.

Mods...excellent job on the main page. :D:

I just marked it down in my calendar... give him a week though.

LOL...I dunno. He was in good spirits at SoxFest. I sure hope it continues through the season!

Brian26
01-24-2005, 12:39 PM
This makes the Carlos Lee trade look amazing now. I was one of the guys who was totally against the trade when it first happened, but now look at what KW's done. He essentially Clee for:

Iguchi
Podsednick
Vizcaino
Pierzynski
El Duque

For Clee, we plugged how many holes? 5th Starter, catcher, 2nd base, leadoff man, and bullpen help.

Granted, the games have to be played...but this has been a hell of an offseason on paper.

pinwheels3530
01-24-2005, 12:40 PM

I second that!!:?:

duke of dorwood
01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Granted, the games have to be played...but this has been a hell of an offseason on paper.

Agree with you, we have depth again and while we havent added any star players, it will be a good TEAM, 24 players deep.

FightingBillini
01-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Its a shame that they signed him now, if only they waited a few weeks and put out a new rumor in the Scum Times the Love Connection thread would have broken all records.

Seriously though, this thread should do pretty good itself. WAY TO GO, KENNY!!
A great decision, but personel wise and marketing wise. The White Sox will be THE TEAM in Japan other than the Mariners and the Yankees. More Japanese fans = more trips to Chicago and the Cell = KA CHING!!! Great move!

Jerome
01-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Wow this has been a GREAT offseason now.

The Hermanson signing was good, nothing special.
I liked signing Dye, it could be a big bargain.
I hated the Podsednik trade...
But love El Duque and Pierzynski (it actually gives us major-league calibur players at 5th starter and C) and realize that we couldn't have made the moves w/o trading either Lee of Konerko
Now THIS:smile:

I really think that Iguchi and Dye, plus a more physically fit Everrett will do an adequate job of replacing the pop that we lost from Maggs and CLEE.

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Wow this has been a GREAT offseason now.

The Hermanson signing was good, nothing special.
I liked signing Dye, it could be a big bargain.
I hated the Podsednik trade...
But love El Duque and Pierzynski (it actually gives us major-league calibur players at 5th starter and C) and realize that we couldn't have made the moves w/o trading either Lee of Konerko
Now THIS:smile:

I really think that Iguchi and Dye, plus a more physically fit Everrett will do an adequate job of replacing the pop that we lost from Maggs and CLEE.

Nice to see that you have seen the light. :D:

Dadawg_77
01-24-2005, 12:50 PM
The price is right but lets no go hog wild yet. Iguchi struckout 702 times while walking only 321 times, last year 90 K and 47 BB. So while I like the signing, I don't think Iguchi will put us over the top.

Brian26
01-24-2005, 12:50 PM
I agree.. keep Willie around, we might need him someday when we need to clinch a pennant and Pauly is on second base in the 8th and we might need someone to run...

In my eyes, Willie seems to have a problem with confidence. I'm not sure a demotion to the bench yet again is the best way to solve that problem. At the same time, I can't imagine another team would want to pick him up and use him as a starter. Right now, his best role would be as a Dave Roberts-type of player who could come in a steal a base at will. It's also handy he can play CF and 2nd base. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Attitude is important right now in Willie's career. KW probably knows what he wants to do.

Risk
01-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Best. Off-season. Ever. (at least personnel-wise). At least now there are no holes on the team.

Risk

Baby Fisk
01-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Wee Hoo! :bandance:

Pitchers & Catchers report in just over 3 weeks. :)

swiz
01-24-2005, 01:03 PM
REFILING: Baseball: Iguchi reaches agreement to join
White Sox
(Kyodo) _ (EDS: FIXING TYPOS AT 5TH GRAF)
Japanese infielder Tadahito Iguchi, who had reached an
impasse earlier this month with the Chicago White Sox,
will join the American League team after all, sources
close to him said Monday.

(VC Edit: Please post links in the future. It is a violation of copyright laws to repost entire articles. There are many links to this article already in this thread.)

voodoochile
01-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Heck of an off-season. Amazing what you can do with an extra $20M (money from Lee and extra money to play with).

Well done KW. Thanks, JR. :D:

mweflen
01-24-2005, 01:04 PM
In my eyes, Willie seems to have a problem with confidence. I'm not sure a demotion to the bench yet again is the best way to solve that problem. At the same time, I can't imagine another team would want to pick him up and use him as a starter. Right now, his best role would be as a Dave Roberts-type of player who could come in a steal a base at will. It's also handy he can play CF and 2nd base. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Attitude is important right now in Willie's career. KW probably knows what he wants to do.

Boo hoo. This story is breaking my heart. Willie needs to stop being molly-coddled and has to develop some spine and some fire. I like this signing for exactly the same reason as I like the Duque signing and demotion of Garland - with that sort of competition and motivation, Garland and Willie can either sink or swim, they can either fold like whiny losers or find motivation to excel. Better to find out sooner or later what these guys are made of. I'd rather watch them both crumble into obselescence than play themselves into it every day because of a lack of competition.

HomeFish
01-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Kenny --

Right now, I am going to take back everything bad that I have ever said about you, from the various times I have said you suck to the time that I told an employee at city hall that he should gain weight or grow a beard because he looked like you and that might get him punched by a Sox fan. You might never get your World Series ring, you might be stuck on a middle-market team under a cheap owner, you might be doomed to eternal failure, but you TRY. You don't sit around and hope for the farm to bring up something good, you try, try, and try.

That's the best anyone could ask from you.

Nick@Nite
01-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Considering KW said that no more signings would happen unless he rid of some payroll before the CLEE trade the CLEE trade is now complete the way i see it:

Carlos Lee

for

Jose Vizcaino, Scott Podsednik, Orlando Hernandez, AJ Pierzynski, Tadahito Iguchi, and a PTBNL

Nice work Kenny! :smokin:

Btw, I perused this thread rather quickly... is there a link yet?

jabrch
01-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Heck of an off-season. Amazing what you can do with an extra $20M (money from Lee and extra money to play with).

Well done KW. Thanks, JR. :D:

*rubs eyes*....

I like a happy VC!

Iwritecode

If you saw Willie at Soxfest you would know that attitude is not his problem. He's got plenty of it...

:wink:

voodoochile
*rubs eyes*....

I like a happy VC!

Me 2 now please do something about that signature... :D:

Iwritecode
01-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Kenny --

Right now, I am going to take back everything bad that I have ever said about you, from the various times I have said you suck to the time that I told an employee at city hall that he should gain weight or grow a beard because he looked like you and that might get him punched by a Sox fan. You might never get your World Series ring, you might be stuck on a middle-market team under a cheap owner, you might be doomed to eternal failure, but you TRY. You don't sit around and hope for the farm to bring up something good, you try, try, and try.

That's the best anyone could ask from you.

First Hangar and now HomeFish?!? :o:

Fredsox
01-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I like the signing too, but let's not get carried away. This guy has not hit major league pitching yet and he's coming to a strange country. Shingo will certainly help but we gotta give this guy some slack and not expect him to hit .300+. Let's see what he can do and give him time to adjust.

Now instead of comparing our team to last year's or the Flubs, let's compare to the Twins, the Red Sox and the Yankees because that's who we have to match up against to win the AL.

I think if El Duque stays healthy and pitches 150 innings we win the division going away. Can we get past the dreaded East? Dunno.....

jabrch

OK - I'll have something new by the end of the day!

DrCrawdad
Is Lip kicking the dirt now, trying to think of a dark lining to this signing?

mcfish
01-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Best. Off-season. Ever. (at least personnel-wise). At least now there are no holes on the team.

Risk
:crede

Mickster
First Hangar and now HomeFish?!? :o:

3 makes Armageddon.... :D:

Randar68

I can see it already. "Why can't these cheap bastards sign someone with a proven MLB track record instead of some Japanese castoff? They might as well play kids if they're going to waste their miniscule payroll on unproven old players!"

What a tool.

Brian26
01-24-2005, 01:11 PM

Is the sky blue on a sunny day?

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 01:11 PM
First Hangar and now HomeFish?!? :o:I'm waiting for Lip to weigh in. If we get the trifecta, I'll know the planets have come into alignment.

Mickster
01-24-2005, 01:12 PM

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!

:roflmao: :rolling:

DrCrawdad
01-24-2005, 01:13 PM
I like the signing too, but let's not get carried away. This guy has not hit major league pitching yet and he's coming to a strange country. Shingo will certainly help but we gotta give this guy some slack and not expect him to hit .300+. Let's see what he can do and give him time to adjust.

Now instead of comparing our team to last year's or the Flubs, let's compare to the Twins, the Red Sox and the Yankees because that's who we have to match up against to win the AL.

I think if El Duque stays healthy and pitches 150 innings we win the division going away. Can we get past the dreaded East? Dunno.....

That's a good point, but this is a good signing, or has the potential to be good if he hits. But this is good from a PR standpoint, and that can't be downplayed. IMHO the Sox saw the positives of the signing of Shingo and now see that as well with the signing of an everyday Japanese position player.

Lip Man 1
01-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Crawdad:

I happen to agree with the comments from Fredsox. Let's not go nuts here gang. We'll just have to wait and see.

What I do like is the fact that, if true, at least the Sox have an option other then Harris.

As for myself I personally would have preferred someone who has shown something in major league baseball like Walker, Cora, or Grudzilanik. However this at least is a potential improvement over Harris.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Crawdad:

I happen to agree with the comments from Fredsox. Let's not go nuts here gang. We'll just have to wait and see.

What I do like is the fact that, if true, at least the Sox have an option other then Harris.

As for myself I personally would have preferred someone who has shown something in major league baseball like Walker, Cora, or Grudzilanik. However this at least is a potential improvement over Harris.

LipComing from you, Lip, this is positively GUSHING.:wink:

mweflen
I think Hangar and Homefish (and myself to a lesser extent, I don't view myself as quite as bitter and pessimistec as they) have been consistent - I believe they desire a proactive manager who pursues at least servicable talent to field a solid, hole-less club with a shot at winning.

KW has made stabs at this before, and some of his offseasons have been dismal, while some of his minor acquisitions have proven to bear fruit.

This offseason has been the most wholesale hole-filling and team building exercise so far, and it's so encouraging and so welcome after such a drought of sane managerial decisions.

I have a lot of optimism, though I won't go so far as to predict a "runaway." There are still question marks, and a paper tiger does not win ballgames. But I will say - even if it all goes to $#!@ this season, It was a great try, and this feeling of real, justifiable optimism beforehand would make up for some of the disappointment if the experiment doesn't work the way we'd like it to.

Randar68
I can see it already. "Why can't these cheap bastards sign someone with a proven MLB track record instead of some Japanese castoff? They might as well play kids if they're going to waste their miniscule payroll on unproven old players!"

Crawdad:

Lip

Wow. Talk about predictable. :dtroll:

Brian26
01-24-2005, 01:18 PM
That's a good point, but this is a good signing, or has the potential to be good if he hits. But this is good from a PR standpoint, and that can't be downplayed. IMHO the Sox saw the positives of the signing of Shingo and now see that as well with the signing of an everyday Japanese position player.

:KW

"Now how many of you have actually seen this guy play????"

:D:

jabrch
01-24-2005, 01:18 PM

How's this VC?

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 01:19 PM
I think Hangar and Homefish (and myself to a lesser extent, I don't view myself as quite as bitter and pessimistec as they) have been consistent - I believe they desire a proactive manager who pursues at least servicable talent to field a solid, hole-less club with a shot at winning.

KW has made stabs at this before, and some of his offseasons have been dismal, while some of his minor acquisitions have proven to bear fruit.

This offseason has been the most wholesale hole-filling and team building exercise so far, and it's so encouraging and so welcome after such a drought of sane managerial decisions.

I have a lot of optimism, though I won't go so far as to predict a "runaway." There are still question marks, and a paper tiger does not win ballgames. But I will say - even if it all goes to $#!@ this season, It was a great try, and this feeling of real, justifiable optimism beforehand would make up for some of the disappointment if the experiment doesn't work the way we'd like it to.I've said it before - I see Ozzie's hand in this. Kenny had 4 off-seasons and has never done anything like this before.

Brian26
Wow. Talk about predictable.

That was actually very, very close. Scary.

Hokiesox
Ah, KW ignites the eternal hope of a White Sox fan. I like the signing, but we've had a pretty good team on paper for 5 years now. They still have to play the games, but I am more excited about this team than previous years.

Hangar18
01-24-2005, 01:20 PM

What a tool.

WOW. this guys calling him a Name before Lip even said anything

HomeFish
01-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Wow. Talk about predictable. :dtroll:

Lip's coments are predictable because they are true. Iguchi is not proven MLB talent.

Rocky Soprano
01-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Great Job, Kenny! :gulp:

I cant wait, for baseball to start! :supernana:

mweflen
01-24-2005, 01:23 PM
I've said it before - I see Ozzie's hand in this. Kenny had 4 off-seasons and has never done anything like this before.

You may have the point of the day here in terms of appraising KW's performance. He was active but not very productive in answering the needs of the club in his first few offseasons. He would make one big splash signing, then fritter the rest away on last gasp veterans, has-beens, and never-weres.

This time, he has not blown his proverbial wad on any one player, and all of the acquisitions (with the exception of Kevin Walker) have been legitimate major leaguers with average or above average success, AND they have actually addressed the actual needs of the club (SP, pen, leadoff, speed).

It's hard not to see the contrast in pre-Oz KW and post-Oz KW.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 01:24 PM
I've said it before - I see Ozzie's hand in this. Kenny had 4 off-seasons and has never done anything like this before.

Kenny never really had the need/desire to rebuild from scratch until last offseason and he was tied to too many multi-year unattractive contracts to do anything of this magnitude. For the past couple years I have been pointing to the 2004/2005 and/or 2005/2006 offseasons to see the wholesale restructuring that we have this offseason. Kenny has talked about it for the last couple years... not enough speed, OBP, deep rotation, ect., but until he traded Lee and Let Maggs walk, he was really fiscally unable to do anything major. He talked about many of these things, IIRC, in the offseason prior to Manual's last year.

I think Ozzie combined with this offseason has built this club in a manner much more to Kenny's ideals as he's been describing for several years. We've been frustrated with his inability to lead us toward it although talking about it all the time, but the window of opportunity finally opened for him to do it.

SoxxoS
01-24-2005, 01:25 PM

"I was inverted."

MRKARNO
This is a very good signing! That lineup looks really solid now and Crede's upside at the 9 hole is still very good to have.

I wouldnt underestimate his power potential. 20-25 homers would not surprise me one bit based on his Japanese stats (30, 18, 27, 24 in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 respectively). His floor offensively is probably Willie Harris with double digit homers, while his ceiling is high as his 2003 was a very good season, posting a .438 OBP in addition to his 27 homers. He stole 40+ in 2003 and 2001. It will be interesting to see how he adapts, but I like the signing a lot. If he can repeat his patience of 2003 (81 walks to 81 K's), he will have a great year. If not, he still will probably still be better than the Alex Cora's of the world. He has a good chance of being better than Polanco.

The thing is about Japanese players that you can never know for sure how they will do because they havent player here and very few offensive players have made the switch so that you could adequately compare stats and attempt to "translate" them.

Randar68
WOW. this guys calling him a Name before Lip even said anything

After 1000's of posts it's not like Lip doesn't have a track record of repeatedly negative trash.

SoxxoS
01-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Lip's coments are predictable because they are true. Iguchi is not proven MLB talent.

Neither was Shingo or Ichiro or Matsui. Kaz had some success (not for the money, but we aren't paying Tadahito 7 mil per) and the OF from the Giants was kind of a flop.

HomeFish
01-24-2005, 01:27 PM
After 1000's of posts it's not like Lip doesn't have a track record of repeatedly negative trash.

Does he? Or do the Sox have a track record of repeated trash?

PaleHoseGeorge

Yep. This is now Ozzie's team. They took all the payroll freed up after losing Maggs and trading Lee and plowed it all back into the areas Ozzie wanted: pitching and top of the order productivity.

Now it's up to Ozzie to make his team a winner. Kenny won't be taking the fall if they don't...

:cool:

Hangar18
Kenny never really had the need/desire to rebuild from scratch until last offseason and he was tied to too many multi-year unattractive contracts to do anything of this magnitude. For the past couple years I have been pointing to the 2004/2005 and/or 2005/2006 offseasons to see the wholesale restructuring that we have this offseason. Kenny has talked about it for the last couple years... not enough speed, OBP, deep rotation, ect., but until he traded Lee and Let Maggs walk, he was really fiscally unable to do anything major. He talked about many of these things, IIRC, in the offseason prior to Manual's last year.

I think Ozzie combined with this offseason has built this club in a manner much more to Kenny's ideals as he's been describing for several years. We've been frustrated with his inability to lead us toward it although talking about it all the time, but the window of opportunity finally opened for him to do it.

Interesting ......

santo=dorf

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=554562#post554562

Here's what I think the Sox need to do this off season in order for me to consider it 'productive.'

1. Get a competent 5th starter. I advocate via free agency, that way you don't have to 'trade' something and weaken a team that doesn't have a lot of depth. This is a must situation. Three years of garbage at the back end of the rotation is enough. No more excuses.

2. Get a second baseman or if that's not possible get a shortstop (Eckstein?) to move Uribe to second and place Harris back where he belongs on the bench or in Triple A.

3. Get a catcher who is competent. Doesn't have to be an All Star but someone who is a step up from the Burke/Davis tandem.

Do this and they have a reasonable chance to win the 'Comedy' Central.

Lip

1. El Duque was signed making Jon Garland the fifth starter.

2. Signed Iguchi.

3. Signed A.J Pierzynski.

So Lip, can you wait for April 4th? I know I can't. :smile:

Fredsox
I think the mass kudos to KW are certainly well-deserved. Those of you who think he is influenced by Ozzie I think are correct. KW seems to ask his manager "what kind of team do you think you can win with?", and then they agree on what it might look like, and then KW goes out and gets it. He did it with Manual, who wanted big thumpers, and he's doing it with Ozzie who wants "go-go".

He seems fiercely committed to winning, I gotta admire that. He's not afraid to make changes, and he's not afraid to be wrong. This guy has given his manager the tools to win, now its up to Guillen to make it happen.

Can't wait for the season!

CHISOXFAN13
01-24-2005, 01:28 PM
This is a very good signing! That lineup looks really solid now and Crede's upside at the 9 hole is still very good to have.

I wouldnt underestimate his power potential. 20-25 homers would not surprise me one bit based on his Japanese stats (30, 18, 27, 24 in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 respectively). His floor offensively is probably Willie Harris with double digit homers, while his ceiling is high as his 2003 was a very good season, posting a .438 OBP in addition to his 27 homers. He stole 40+ in 2003 and 2001. It will be interesting to see how he adapts, but I like the signing a lot. If he can repeat his patience of 2003 (81 walks to 81 K's), he will have a great year. If not, he still will probably still be better than the Alex Cora's of the world. He has a good chance of being better than Polanco.

The thing is about Japanese players that you can never know for sure how they will do because they havent player here and very few offensive players have made the switch so that you could adequately compare stats and attempt to "translate" them.

As excited as I am about his offensive potential, I'm looking forward to seeing a slick fielding second baseman around.

Hopefully he can bring his gold-gove caliber defense in Japan to the states.

voodoochile
01-24-2005, 01:29 PM
How's this VC?

I like it...

munchman33
01-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Great signing by Kenny. This is pretty much a complete team. I still think we need one more arm in the pen, however. Doesn't have to be a stud, but a package of Willie, Borchard, and a prospect could net a more than servicable arm.

HomeFish
01-24-2005, 01:30 PM
As excited as I am about his offensive potential, I'm looking forward to seeing a slick fielding second baseman around.

Hopefully he can bring his gold-gove caliber defense in Japan to the states.

From what I heard about Kaz, Japanese infielders are problematic defensively because they don't backhand balls. It's apparently seen as inpolite in Japan to do so.

Kaz was letting a lot of hits get through last year until they corrected that.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-24-2005, 01:30 PM

Indeed, Randar. After 1000's of posts I could just as easily predicted you would start name calling. Talk about trash...

Randar68
01-24-2005, 01:31 PM

Very good point. Matsui was never an average hitter to the degree Igushi or Ichiro were in Japan but he was able to be pretty productive for NY, even though it's hard to guage someone individually while surrounded by such terrific hitters in the line-up.

I don't expect a dead repeat of his 2003 numbers. I would expect a drop of 20-40 points in average. I don't know too much about him, but here's an observation. From what I understand about Japanese baseball and pitching in particular, the offspeed and breaking pitches over there are as good or better than what is normally seen here. However, the fastballs and high-speed breaking pitches seen here are very rare in Japan. Not many people throw 88-92 mph sliders and fastballs surpassing 90-92 mph. How he adjusts to the difference in pitching philosophies will be a large indicator of how well he will be able to repeat the #'s he produced in Japan.

I have not seen him play and have not read a reliable scouting report on his strengths and weaknesses at the plate, so I can only offer that opinion on how his adjustment may go.

fquaye149
01-24-2005, 01:32 PM
The price is right but lets no go hog wild yet. Iguchi struckout 702 times while walking only 321 times, last year 90 K and 47 BB.

While I agree that we shouldn't get too excited about Iguchi, I don't know what this is supposed to mean?

Let's look at the A's last year:

Kotsay had 70 K's and 55 BB
Byrnes had 111K's and 46 BB
Hatteberg had 72 and 48
Crosby had 141 and 58
Durazo had 104 and 56

I don't see what that indicates? Shouldn't OBP speak for itself?

Infallible
01-24-2005, 01:32 PM
While Ozzie may have indeed put the bug into Kenny's ear, it was still Kenny deal to scout the floor and get what was needed within the confines of the salary allowance. KW did a good job during the off season this year. He's made the moves of a bonified GM who is indeed making the plays to create a winning team and a winning season. Good job KW.

edit to add: Lets look at Jose's and Willie's performance from last year.........on second thought lets not.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Indeed, Randar. After 1000's of posts I could just as easily predicted you would start name calling. Talk about trash...

Funny how you guys are bashing me for predicting his response to the signing almost verbatim. :whatever:

Hangar18
01-24-2005, 01:33 PM

The SOX up until recently, have given us nothing but Negative Vibes themselves ......

Viva Medias B's
01-24-2005, 01:34 PM
If you saw Willie at Soxfest you would know that attitude is not his problem. He's got plenty of it...

:wink:

Atrium bar reference?

Randar68
01-24-2005, 01:34 PM
From what I heard about Kaz, Japanese infielders are problematic defensively because they don't backhand balls. It's apparently seen as inpolite in Japan to do so.

Kaz was letting a lot of hits get through last year until they corrected that.

Ray Durham couldn't go to his right either, LOL!

Iwritecode
01-24-2005, 01:35 PM

Now PHG is upset.

Man, this thread started so well too...

Randar68
01-24-2005, 01:35 PM
The SOX up until recently, have given us nothing but Negative Vibes themselves ......

OK, Hangar. Let me know when you're finished revising history so I can read the complete history of the end of the world.

Shoeless Joe
01-24-2005, 01:36 PM
First Kenny gets a real catcher and now he finally gets a real second baseman, unbelievable! This has been a great solid offseason by Kenny and, with our rotation, this line-up can work out perfectly now. Now let's get the season started already...

Randar68
*nm double-post

mweflen
Willie's a punk. Anyone who has spoken to him for more than 10 seconds can attest to this.

Nick@Nite
01-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Since this thread is blowing up, I'll ask again... anyone have a link yet? I keep googling, but nothing.

chaz171
01-24-2005, 01:40 PM
I haven't read every post on this thread,,,, has there been any confirmation outside of this yahoo asia thing yet?

Mickster
01-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I haven't read every post on this thread,,,, has there been any confirmation outside of this yahoo asia thing yet?

Reported on the Score and ESPN AM 1000 by Bruce Levine who indicated in his report that it was confirmed by the Sox.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-24-2005, 01:44 PM
If Iguchi can play SS, I'd love to see Uribe move to 3rd and keep Willie in there.

EMel9281
Reported on the Score and ESPN AM 1000 by Bruce Levine who indicated in his report that it was confirmed by the Sox.

How long will it take to get on the Sox website?

Unregistered
Atrium bar reference?:?: Does someonew wish to shed some light on Willie's behavior at the bar? I'm not one for gossip, but I've heard several people mention something along these lines since SoxFest. besides, it't not an unsubstantiated rumor if the poster was actually there... :cool:

Iwritecode
Atrium bar reference?

Even watching him signing autographs he seems to have this "my **** don't stink" attitude.

I know a number of people who have made the same comments...

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 01:45 PM
If Joe Crede is the only "hole" going into the season, I don't have a problem with that. :cool:

jabrch
01-24-2005, 01:46 PM
If Iguchi can play SS, I'd love to see Uribe move to 3rd and keep Willie in there.

He absolutely can't play SS every day. There is some question if he could play a game or two in a pinch if needed.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Funny how you guys are bashing me for predicting his response to the signing almost verbatim.

We're taking you to task for the name calling. Certainly you're not denying you did just that? It's a long way from being the first time, too...
:?:

You can make your point without the name calling. Trust your rhetorical skills, okay?

Otherwise you know where your posts are going...

SpringfldFan
I just cannot believe Iguchi didn't end up going to the Lead Socks. KW/JR/OZ have my utmost admiration right now. What a couple of months!

LT

mweflen
If Joe Crede is the only "hole" going into the season, I don't have a problem with that. :cool:

Hear hear. Any time your "hole" player hits 20 dingers and 70 ribbies, you're not doing too badly. If he hits for even .250 this year, we're set.

chaz171

Good news! thanks!

santo=dorf
I still haven't seen it mentioned on rotoworld.com or the ESPNews ticker.

Iwritecode
01-24-2005, 01:48 PM
:?: Does someonew wish to shed some light on Willie's behavior at the bar? I'm not one for gossip, but I've heard several people mention something along these lines since SoxFest. besides, it't not an unsubstantiated rumor if the poster was actually there... :cool:

You kind of have to be around him to really notice it. It's just the way he carries himself. He has a bit of cockiness to him.

If you want an exact example it would be the fact that he was talking on his cell phone while signing autographs at Soxfest...

Compare him to a guys like Frank or even Carl who just seemed to be really out-going and enjoying themselves when I met them.

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 01:49 PM
:?: Does someonew wish to shed some light on Willie's behavior at the bar? I'm not one for gossip, but I've heard several people mention something along these lines since SoxFest. besides, it't not an unsubstantiated rumor if the poster was actually there... :cool:

I don't have a story for you. All I'll say is, if you saw him or were around him at the bar and only knew he was a MLB player, but didn't know who it was...you'd think he was a big time player(by his attitude). Heck, he was sitting at the same table as Carl and was not nearly as friendly or approachable.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 01:51 PM
We're taking you to task for the name calling. Certainly you're not denying you did just that? It's a long way from being the first time, too...

You can make your point without the name calling. Trust your rhetorical skills, okay?

Otherwise you know where your posts are going...

Sorry, just calling Lip to the carpet. 6,000 posts and I don't recall EVER reading a mildly optimistic post related to baseball from him yet. How about "repetitively negatively pessimistically depressing"...

Otherwise it's just trash being spit everywhere by his keyboard, more material for the FOLIP's...

DrCrawdad
01-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Crawdad:

Lip

I'd take the potential of Iguchi over Cora or Grudz. If Iguchi puts up numbers slightly better than Harris I'd say this is a win for the Sox.

As I said before Shingo was signed, I'm all for the Sox signing good Japanese ball players. It helps the team and helps bring in more Sox fans, I'm all for it. Grudz or Cora, both may be fine players but neither was going to help the Sox at the gate.

OG4LIFE
01-24-2005, 01:53 PM

Randar68
You kind of have to be around him to really notice it. It's just the way he carries himself. He has a bit of cockiness to him.

Willie has a bit of the Ricky Henderson syndrome with a lot less production. I have actually heard him refer to himself in the 3rd person. LOL!

tacosalbarojas
I don't have a story for you. All I'll say is, if you saw him or were around him at the bar and only knew he was a MLB player, but didn't know who it was...you'd think he was a big time player(by his attitude). Heck, he was sitting at the same table as Carl and was not nearly as friendly or approachable. Yeah, I've got to say I saw him at Soxfest with some people trying to get his autograph (why, I'll never know) and his "handlers" were pushing people away. I thought, man, just give it a few years, he'll be begging for this kind of attention. I mean, good grief, Willie Harris, has "handlers"!

Randar68
01-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Grudz or Cora, both may be fine players but neither was going to help the Sox at the gate.

Great point, Craw. There was definitely an appreciable increase in Asian attendees after about May 1st last year over previous years. Unless it's always been there and I wasn't paying attention. Something very possible.

Baby Fisk
01-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Willie has a bit of the Ricky Henderson syndrome with a lot less production.

UOTW (understatement of the week) :cool:

tacosalbarojas
01-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Great point, Craw. There was definitely an appreciable increase in Asian attendees after about May 1st last year over previous years. Unless it's always been there and I wasn't paying attention. Something very possible. Chinatown South, recognize...the Japanese are coming tra-la, tra-la!

mweflen
01-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Think "Willie Mays Hayes" from the "Major League" movies. Except without the base stealing abilities.

StockdaleForVeep
01-24-2005, 01:58 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Newsweek/Photos/Web_Exclusives/040119_040126/040123_SundanceNapoleon_wide.hmedium.jpg
"yeeesssssss"

danjames
01-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Think "Willie Mays Hayes" from the "Major League" movies. Except without the base stealing abilities.

But does he do his own stunts, too?

Iwritecode
01-24-2005, 01:59 PM

He's a little more Omar Epps than Wesley Snipes IMO...

EMel9281
01-24-2005, 02:01 PM

I dunno about this one, in ML1, Hayes couldn't hit for anything in ST

In ML2, he was hitting for power and HR's. We ALL know Willie Harris can't hit for power...

Randar68
01-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Chinatown South, recognize...the Japanese are coming tra-la, tra-la!

LOL! Love the Username, BTW!

I_Liked_Manuel
01-24-2005, 02:02 PM

i've heard willie has all of the batting golves he ever wore while stealin' bases tacked up on his wall....yup, all 3 pairs of em

tacosalbarojas
01-24-2005, 02:03 PM
LOL! Love the Username, BTW! Thanks man, just remember, tacosalbarojas were only served in Chicken Willie's Kitchen.

jabrch
01-24-2005, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=DrCrawdad]I'd take the potential of Iguchi over Cora or Grudz. If Iguchi puts up numbers slightly better than Harris I'd say this is a win for the Sox.

QUOTE]

If we'd have signed Cora or Grudz people would have bitched that we signed guys with low cielings who are limited to what they can do.

The bitching just never ceases.

scooter300
01-24-2005, 02:05 PM
I like the signing simply because it gives us more options. I wasnt too thrilled with Harris as the only choice. Please tell me when he gets a base hit that goes out of the infield. I would have liked to have seen Todd Walker get signed, but it seems like the Sox are staying with their philosophy. Walker was probably a liability on defense and a base clogger.

santo=dorf
01-24-2005, 02:06 PM

While we're still on it, A.J Pierzynski is Jack Parkman, Iguchi can be the guy they traded Parkman for, and Carl Everett is Cerrano from the first one.

sircaffey1
01-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Willie could come in handy around the deadline. I think he could be packaged with a ML arm to get something good. Maybe another quality bullpen arm. Options my friends. This team has manymany options.

EMel9281
01-24-2005, 02:08 PM
While we're still on it, A.J Pierzynski is Jack Parkman, Iguchi can be the guy they traded Parkman for, and Carl Everett is Cerrano from the first one.

Ben Davis is Rube Baker!!!!!

:kneeslap:

Randar68
01-24-2005, 02:09 PM
The bitching just never ceases.

You've GOT IT!

Randar68
01-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Carl Everett is Cerrano from the first one.

*****! Man, I'm getting funny looks laughing out loud on that one!

longshot7
01-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Sorry, just calling Lip to the carpet. 6,000 posts and I don't recall EVER reading a mildly optimistic post related to baseball from him yet. How about "repetitively negatively pessimistically depressing"...

Otherwise it's just trash being spit everywhere by his keyboard, more material for the FOLIP's...

You say pessimistic, I say REALISTIC. Remember this above all - 1917.

That said - I like the signing! Go Kenny, it's your birthday...

danjames
01-24-2005, 02:13 PM

Hats for bats! Just no dinosaurs.

EMel9281
01-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Hats for bats! Just no dinosaurs.

Greatest line from Major League 1...

"Are you tryin' to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Ed Harris

maurice
01-24-2005, 02:15 PM
:everett:
"Don't compare me to that blashpheming Cerrano!
Everybody knows that Jesus Christ can hit a curveball!"

Shorty1983
01-24-2005, 02:16 PM
I was upset yesterday after the Stealers lost to the Pats. Now I feel redeemed, thank you Kenny!

American Dream - Rowand, Garland
Italian Mafia - Konerko, Gload
Fighting Irish - Podsednik, Buehrle
Scottish Warlords - Cotts, Politte, Adkins
Polish Beast - Pierzynski
Hebrew Doctor - Hermanson
Greek Warriors -Crede, Davis
Unknown Renegades-Borchard, Walker, Jenks, Benjenara, Grilli
Dominican Rebels -Vizcaino, Marte, Uribe, Perez, Diaz, Valdez, Munoz
Black Massiah - Dye, Harris, Everett, Thomas
Venezuelian Cartel - Garcia, Escobar, Guillen
Cuban Connection - Contreras, Hernandez
Japanesse Godzillas - Takatsu, Iguchi

United under the White Sox Nation!

Randar68
01-24-2005, 02:18 PM
You say pessimistic, I say REALISTIC. Remember this above all - 1917.

That said - I like the signing! Go Kenny, it's your birthday...

That's like saying Pat Robertson and Greenpeace are "Centrists".

01-24-2005, 02:19 PM
I was upset yesterday after the Stealers lost to the Pats. Now I feel redeemed, thank you Kenny!

American Dream - Rowand, Garland
Italian Mafia - Konerko, Gload
Fighting Irish - Podsednik, Buehrle
Scottish Warlords - Cotts, Politte, Adkins
Polish Beast - Pierzynski
Hebrew Doctor - Hermanson
Greek Warriors -Crede, Davis
Unknown Renegades-Borchard, Walker, Jenks, Benjenara, Grilli
Dominican Rebels -Vizcaino, Marte, Uribe, Perez, Diaz, Valdez, Munoz
Black Massiah - Dye, Harris, Everett, Thomas
Venezuelian Cartel - Garcia, Escobar, Guillen
Cuban Connection - Contreras, Hernandez
Japanesse Godzillas - Takatsu, Iguchi

United under the White Sox Nation!

I thought Podsednik was a polish name, doesn't sound too Irish

Iwritecode
I dunno about this one, in ML1, Hayes couldn't hit for anything in ST

In ML2, he was hitting for power and HR's. We ALL know Willie Harris can't hit for power...

I was talking attitude, not talent.

In the second movie he had a little bit of money and thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

(scene showing a limo pulling up and 30 people getting out)

Rube: "Who are they?"
Jake: "They are our starting center fielder."

Nick@Nite

Yeah... or maybe think that guy Leon from the Budweiser commercials;

Q & A With Leon (http://leon.budweiser.com/leon_qa.html)

Leon [Willie] : Youíre right, I am the man. Thanks for the positive reinforcement.

Q: Where can you find my commercials?
A: Man Leonís [Willie's] everywhere. Just turn a corner, boom - Leon [Willie] . Turn on a light, there I am again - Leon [Willie]. Not in a creepy way, you know, just cool. Pretty soon t.v. shows will be short interruptions in-between half-hour Leon [Willie] commercials. Thatís how I see it.

Q: Why werenít my spots on the Big Game.
A: First of all, Leon [Willie] is a busy man. And second, I gotta step back once in a while and give the other athletes some air time. Leon [Willie]tends to steal the show. I mean, thatís one day - you get Leon [Willie] the other 364.

Iíll catch yíall during Spring...Training.

As Leon [Willie] always says, "I ainít playin unless someone is payin'." Iím out.

Frater Perdurabo

Hangar, I fell out of my chair reading your positive comments!

Good signing! I'm excited about 2005!

:supernana:

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 02:20 PM
I thought Podsednik was a polish name, doesn't sound too Iri**** used to be O'Podsednik, but they changed it because it sounded too ethnic.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Benjenara

WHO THE HECK? LOL! Do you mean Bajenaru?

Dadawg_77
01-24-2005, 02:24 PM

While there haven't been too many Japanese hitters to come over, you can translate based on US hitters, who have gone over there such as Toughy Rhodes. Some stats translate better then others, like K/BB which other then 2003, he hasn't been that good. His numbers are better then Kaz Matsui, but not by that much. Right now, a little bit better, once adjusted for park factors, then what Kaz did last year is what I would expect. The price comparisons between they were paid, makes this a good deal. But I think everyone here is completely overrating him. Kenny signed an average player who has some upside.

maurice
01-24-2005, 02:24 PM
That's like saying Pat Robertson and Greenpeace are "Centrists".

Everybody thinks that they're a centrist and that anybody who disagrees with them is fringe. Most lefties seem genuinely surprised when 50% or more of the population votes against their position. Bill O'Reilly gets PO'ed whenever anybody even calls him a "conservative," and his station famously claims to be "fair and balanced" without using teal.

EMel9281
01-24-2005, 02:26 PM
I was talking attitude, not talent.

In the second movie he had a little bit of money and thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

(scene showing a limo pulling up and 30 people getting out)

Rube: "Who are they?"
Jake: "They are our starting center fielder."

Definitely, agree with you there.

What great movies except for #3!

Shorty1983
WHO THE HECK? LOL! Do you mean Bajenaru?

Yea that guy, lol.

HebrewHammer
This is probably the most complete team from top to bottom that I've seen as a White Sox fan(I'm 24).

Love the signing, it really completes our infield. If Willie has to go, fine, he's had several chances to prove himself and he's shown that he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to play every day.

I am officially super pumped for the season. One month until spring training, 10 weeks to opening day, it's going to be a long wait.

santo=dorf
01-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Some stats translate better then others, like K/BB which other then 2003, he hasn't been that good.

Did you miss Fquaye's post earlier in the thread? What about your precious A's from last season? :?:

Hatteberg had 72 and 48
Crosby had 141 and 58
Durazo had 104 and 56

longshot7
01-24-2005, 02:27 PM
btw, it's now on the whitesox.com main page!!!!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050124&content_id=933738&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Rocklive99
01-24-2005, 02:28 PM
I heard this on my way home from school, good thing I turned to the AM dial isntead of my CD! I don't see how anyone can knock KW, he has addressed all of our weaknesses this offseason.

Randar68
01-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Everybody thinks that they're a centrist and that anybody who disagrees with them is fringe. Most lefties seem genuinely surprised when 50% or more of the population votes against their position. Bill O'Reilly gets PO'ed whenever anybody even calls him a "conservative," and his station famously claims to be "fair and balanced" without using teal.

Bingo. However, claiming Lip is "centrist" in this context is absolutely preposterous and immediately discrediting.

Baby Fisk
01-24-2005, 02:29 PM
It used to be O'Podsednik, but they changed it because it sounded too ethnic.

LOL. :cheers: Konerko and Gload don't sound like Italian names either.

BTW, I grew up thinking Comiskey was a polish name. :redface:

longshot7
01-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Bingo. However, claiming Lip is "centrist" in this context is absolutely preposterous and immediately discrediting.

I didn't call him a "Centrist" - I called him a "Realist". Big Difference. Sometimes the truth is not pretty, like it or not.

SoxxoS
01-24-2005, 02:32 PM
While I agree that we shouldn't get too excited about Iguchi, I don't know what this is supposed to mean?

Hatteberg had 72 and 48
Crosby had 141 and 58
Durazo had 104 and 56

Suicide watch for the FOBB.

Dadawg_77
01-24-2005, 02:33 PM

Hatteberg had 72 and 48
Crosby had 141 and 58
Durazo had 104 and 56

We are trying to translate what stats in Japan mean over here. Thus you can't compare them to MLB hitters but to Japanese hitters who have came over. He looks little better then of Kaz Matsui, so you build your model out of what Kaz did when he came over and add to it. He isn't H. Matsui or Ichiro. This isn't minors where we have 1000's of examples but only a handfull.

Randar is right that in Japanese baseball they pitch breaking stuff. If anyone hasn't seen a gyro ball, look it up, pretty damn amazing what that pitch does. But they really don't have fastball pitchers over there.

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 02:33 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050124&content_id=933738&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp The White Sox still need a utility infielder whose primary position is at shortstop.Willie Harris, the bus is waiting.

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 02:36 PM
We are trying to translate what stats in Japan mean over here. Thus you can't compare them to MLB hitters but to Japanese hitters who have came over. He looks little better then of Kaz Matsui, so you build your model out of what Kaz did when he came over and add to it. He isn't H. Matsui or Ichiro. This isn't minors where we have 1000's of examples but only a handfull.

Randar is right that in Japanese baseball they pitch breaking stuff. If anyone hasn't seen a gyro ball, look it up, pretty damn amazing what that pitch does. But they really don't have fastball pitchers over there.The problem is the sample size of Japanese players who have come here is too small to make a realistic projection. And projecting from American players going the other way is misleading.

idseer
01-24-2005, 02:38 PM
how about we take a vote between lip and randar ... the loser leaves and never comes back?

bye bye randar!

EMel9281
01-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Willie Harris, the bus is waiting.

I know it's cliche, but...

"He gone!"

:weewillie
*Sob*

Nick@Nite
01-24-2005, 02:42 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050124&content_id=933738&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

"I'm not spending very much time on it right now," said Williams of Iguchi.

"I Luuuv Teal"

:supernana: