PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fantasy Camp

Steelrod
01-24-2005, 06:11 AM
Just got back from Sox camp. It was amazing! Thigpen, Walker, Melton, Paciorek, Baines, Garr, Trout, Boston, Hickey, May, and a whole bunch of others signed anything and everything! Aaron Rowand was also there playing with us all week. What a great guy. Jim McMahon was even a camper. I'm not much of a player but it doesn't matter. Didn't even get hurt, just tired. Would recommend to anyone who can afford it!

mike squires
01-24-2005, 09:14 AM
Awesome, wish I could afford something like that...maybe someday. More details please! Any of the players have some good stories to share? Sounded like a lot of fun. What was Harold like? Usual quiet self?

jabrch
01-24-2005, 09:50 AM
How much was it? I couldn't go this year for medical reasons - but I wanted to. Maybe next year...

A. Cavatica
01-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Just got back from Sox camp. It was amazing! Thigpen, Walker, Melton, Paciorek, Baines, Garr, Trout, Boston, Hickey, May, and a whole bunch of others signed anything and everything! Aaron Rowand was also there playing with us all week. What a great guy. Jim McMahon was even a camper. I'm not much of a player but it doesn't matter. Didn't even get hurt, just tired. Would recommend to anyone who can afford it!

Jim McMahon played for the Sox?

HITMEN OF 77
01-24-2005, 12:05 PM

That's awesome!! that had to be a great time. I never thought I would say this, but I can't wait til I'm 30 :D:

Steelrod
01-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Awesome, wish I could afford something like that...maybe someday. More details please! Any of the players have some good stories to share? Sounded like a lot of fun. What was Harold like? Usual quiet self?
Not at all. Harold told some good stories. Cave was unbelievable. All the players told stores. Can't really share the stories they told. You know what they say, "what goes on in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse" Plus this site can be seen by young eyes!

Steelrod
01-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Jim McMahon played for the Sox?
He was a camper, not a coach!

SOXFAN82
01-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Only 8 Years To Go....i Can't Wait Til That Day.

jshanahanjr
01-24-2005, 02:36 PM
How good was Jimmy Mac? I imagine pretty good.

Steelrod
01-24-2005, 03:30 PM
How good was Jimmy Mac? I imagine pretty good.

He hit one out, but his fielding was kinda average for camp. I think he had a hamstring bothering him.

jabrch
01-24-2005, 03:31 PM
He hit one out, but his fielding was kinda average for camp. I think he had a hamstring bothering him.

Hey Rod, what did the camp cost? If ya don't mind me asking?

Steelrod
01-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Hey Rod, what did the camp cost? If ya don't mind me asking?
$2,995 plus $175 for real uniform, and airfare.
All breakfasts, all lunches, and 3 dinner banquets are included.
Each of us got our own suite.
Check out their website.

jabrch
01-24-2005, 03:58 PM
$2,995 plus $175 for real uniform, and airfare.
All breakfasts, all lunches, and 3 dinner banquets are included.
Each of us got our own suite.
Check out their website.

What's the website?

Steelrod
01-24-2005, 04:15 PM
What's the website?

chicagofantasybaseballcamp.com

steff
01-24-2005, 05:55 PM
It was going to be Jim's Christmas present until the ticker issues started up... next yeat for sure.

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 06:36 PM
I thought the age was 35 and that I had 5 years to save up! I met a guy who went to the camp last year and he said it was the best experience ever. I plan on going when I get the cash.

jabrch
01-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Assuming I am able to go, I'll be there next year.

zach074
01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
You have to be 35? Only 19 more years.:bandance:

Palehose13
01-24-2005, 07:45 PM
You have to be 35? Only 19 more years.:bandance:

No. 30. I was told last year (when I was 29) that it was 35. Either that person was mistaken or they changed the age.

Now that I have the age, only $3170 + airfare to go! :(:

Steelrod
01-25-2005, 12:54 PM
It was going to be Jim's Christmas present until the ticker issues started up... next yeat for sure.
Not too much stress. I walked from base to base!

Brian26
01-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of skill level is expected when you go out there? I havent played any organized baseball or softball in almost 10 years. Other than maybe going to the batting cages once in a great while, I just haven't swung a bat against live pitching in a really long time.

Do the pitchers take it easy? Is Thiggy bringing 80 mph heat to the plate? Or is it an unwritten rule that he doesn't challenge anyone?

Also curious if anyone who participates takes it a little too seriously and wrecks it for everyone else? There always seems to be a hotdog...but maybe the age and price limit cuts those guys out of the loop.

Sounds like a good time.

Lip Man 1
01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Brian:

Go to the WSI INTERVIEW link on the left side of the main page and read the story I did with Ed Herrmann on the fantasy camp. It should answer your pitching questions. As I recall the guys play to win.

Lip

Steelrod
01-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Brian:

Go to the WSI INTERVIEW link on the left side of the main page and read the story I did with Ed Herrmann on the fantasy camp. It should answer your pitching questions. As I recall the guys play to win.

Lip
Some do, most do not! First thing they tell you is to not over exert or try to run fast. Sure winning is fun, but it would be stupid to risk injuries. Most aches and pains came from 1st year campers. Returning campers take it easier.
As far as pitching goes, everyone gets lots of hits. My teams mvp was 75 years old! On the big game on Saturday, Jon Rauch threw in the 80's to the campers who wanted to see it.(one guy actually hit the ball) I faced Donn Pall who basically laid it in with a little spin on it.
Average age was probably mid 40's. Great baseball players do not go to fantasy camps.

Steelrod
01-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of skill level is expected when you go out there? I havent played any organized baseball or softball in almost 10 years. Other than maybe going to the batting cages once in a great while, I just haven't swung a bat against live pitching in a really long time.

Do the pitchers take it easy? Is Thiggy bringing 80 mph heat to the plate? Or is it an unwritten rule that he doesn't challenge anyone?

Also curious if anyone who participates takes it a little too seriously and wrecks it for everyone else? There always seems to be a hotdog...but maybe the age and price limit cuts those guys out of the loop.

Sounds like a good time.
The coaches would deal with someone who took it too seriously. The one thing you don't do is challenge hard throwing pitchers, cause you will find out why they were big leaguers, and you were not!!