PDA

View Full Version : Mets match Rangers offer for Delgado

NSSoxFan
01-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Per the Score. Thoughts?

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-23-2005, 10:40 PM
The Rangers have retracted their bid for Delgado so it looks like he'll be going to the Mets.

The Rangers have dropped out of the bidding for Carlos Delgado after he turned down their four-year, $48 million offer.
Delgado reportedly became less interested in Texas after owner Tom Hicks suggested that he'd be used primarily as a DH. The free agent is supposed to decide between the Mets, Marlins and Orioles within the next day or two. It currently appears likely that he'll pick the Mets. Jan. 23 - 11:08 pm et
www.rotoworld.com

One question, why did the rangers wait so long to persue an FA? Instead of going after Delgado they could've gotten a quality SP which they need more than a clean up hitter.

MUsoxfan
01-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Good. This means that the Mets will be an even bigger disappointment when they fail to succeed this year

Rocklive99
01-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Sporting News were saying tonight that the Mets were out of it (not sure on reasons) and O's are favored

Banix12
01-23-2005, 11:45 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that the Mets have also dropped out of the Delgado chase. They weren't willing to meet the financial demands and they had placed a Sunday night deadline for signing him.

It looks like it's Balitmore or Florida.

Jjav829
01-23-2005, 11:47 PM
This has been interesting to follow. I'm surprised that both teams have pulled out. Smart move by the Rangers. They should have used that money they were going to sign Delgado with to get a pitcher.

It sounds like Delgado will make a decision tomorrow. I hope he goes to the Marlins.

MUsoxfan
01-23-2005, 11:51 PM
It's just really interesting to me how last year he refused to be traded, and now he's shopping around relentlessly

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-24-2005, 12:16 AM
This has been interesting to follow. I'm surprised that both teams have pulled out. Smart move by the Rangers. They should have used that money they were going to sign Delgado with to get a pitcher.

It sounds like Delgado will make a decision tomorrow. I hope he goes to the Marlins.
You should be a happy man soon. According to ESPN NEWS, Peter Angelos(cheapskate that runs the O's) has stated that the O's have dropped out of the race for Delgado.

StillMissOzzie
01-24-2005, 12:21 AM
You should be a happy man soon. According to ESPN NEWS, Peter Angelos(cheapskate that runs the O's) has stated that the O's have dropped out of the race for Delgado.

I hope that the cheapskate remark was meant to be in teal. Angelos has been throwing money around with reckless abandon for several years now. Must be loads of fun to be in the same division as both the Yankmees and the Red Sox.

SMO
:gulp:

FightingBillini
01-24-2005, 12:53 AM
I hope that the cheapskate remark was meant to be in teal. Angelos has been throwing money around with reckless abandon for several years now. Must be loads of fun to be in the same division as both the Yankmees and the Red Sox.

SMO
:gulp:

Yes, but he is a ruthless bastard. He isn't going to spend any money this offseason. He won't spend any money for the next few offseasons because of the Nationals "invading his turf". He will bitch that he can't compete, he is losing money, and he needs more from baseball. He will use his own lack of spending to extort more money from MLB.

NUCatsFan
01-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Just heard on ESPN Radio that the Mets and Rangers are now both out of the running for Delgado. Anyone else hear about that?