PDA

View Full Version : player to play for sox

Milkman43
01-23-2005, 08:31 PM
If you could pick one player in all of major league baseball to play for the Sox, who would it be?

34rancher
01-23-2005, 08:32 PM
If you could pick one player in all of major league baseball to play for the Sox, who would it be?
Babe Ruth,
but I guess you meant now, so I will say Albert Pujols.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Babe Ruth,
but I guess you meant nnow, so I will say Albert Pujols.

Na. I'll take Barry Bonds and a tube of the clear.
:cool:

RKMeibalane
01-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Scott Rolen. I can't of anybody who represents Major League Baseball better than he does. Phillies fans wouldn't agree with me, but there are reasons why Rolen was mentioned by several players last season as being the one they have the most respect for.

And besides, if Rolen were here, Crede wouldn't be.

Infallible
01-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Rolen for the same reason.....we wouldn't have to suffer watching smoltin Joe stand around swinging the bat like Gumby looking like Mr Rogers.....

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-23-2005, 08:45 PM
I'd agree with Scott Rolen. Gold glove defense at 3rd base and he's a hitting machine. 3rd base is the weakest link on this team next to second base, but second base doesn't have anyone near the caliber of Scott Rolen. If only the sox COULD get scott rolen :(:

soxfan26
01-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I hear "Oil Can" Boyd is looking for a new team. :thumbsup:

Vestigio
01-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Pujols has played 3rd base before, just not as good as Rolen. So I would choose Pujols

WhiteSoxNation
01-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Beltre for sure.....If he cant hit that many homers in LA imagine him at the Cell.

WhiteSoxNation
01-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Na. I'll take Barry Bonds and a tube of the clear.
:cool:

Ya stick him in the OF or even Beltran......

Brian26
01-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Beltre for sure.....If he cant hit that many homers in LA imagine him at the Cell.

Beltre has a lot to prove this year. He had one amazing season in LA...and you'd pick him over everyone else in baseball? No way.

Brian26
01-23-2005, 09:30 PM
I'd probably pick Alex Rodriguez.

guillen4life13
01-23-2005, 09:31 PM
I agree with the Scott Rolen choice.

FedEx227
01-23-2005, 09:33 PM
SAMMY SOSA....HE HITZ DA BAWL SOOOOO FARRR!!!

Cubbiesuck13
01-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Jeter. An infield of Crede, Jeter, Uribe, Konerko would be solid as well as a lineup with Pods and Jeter as the two top spots. Jeter is a winner and a gamer; there isn't anyone else I can think of who would bring as much to the team.

ChiSoxRowand
01-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Arod or Pujols.

NowBatting19
01-23-2005, 09:47 PM
I would like to see Todd Helton on the South Side, and keep Konerko some how some way.

Chisox003
01-23-2005, 10:09 PM
I think its a toss up between Jeter and Rolen...Winners & Leaders, doesnt get any better than those 2...

I also really like Miguel Cabrera on the Marlins...Superstar

Now if the question was "If you can pick any player in the MLB that has been juiced up for years, ruined the integrity of the game, single handedly turned Cubs "baseball" into a joke, beats his wife, doesnt know the meaning of 'team', has almost as many strike outs as games played, corks his bat, flashes gang signs after his steroid induced 500 ft HR blasts, gets "injured" during sneezing attacks (HAA HAA) and is one of the biggest reasons why the Cubs are easy to hate, and did I mention is a cheater? (feel free to add to this list, this is just what comes to me off the top of my head)," I think its probably Slambino, but its a toss up...

soxwon
01-23-2005, 10:10 PM
sammy sosa lol

SOXintheBURGH
01-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Hmm.. Rolen would be incredible, so would Jeter. That's one of the harder questions to ponder. I would have to go with Rolen though.. he would own the Cell in the batters box.

Infallible
01-23-2005, 10:47 PM
How about that other guy, Magglio Ordonez? I hear he's good to go!

FightingBillini
01-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Ok, Im assuming that the people who said Jeter forgot to put it in teal. He is without a doubt the single most overpaid and overrated player in baseball. He hits for average, and thats it. Never before has such a poor fielder been fawned over. People act like he is great defensively, and he isn't. He won a gold glove this year, which is a joke. He has horrible range, and he doens't get particularly good jumps on balls. He makes routine plays look difficult. Whenever he fields to his right he leaps in the air and throws across his body instead of planting and throwing. People watch in awe, assuming that he had to make a leaping throw, when it would be a routine play for even Jose Valentin. He is a defensive liability, and all his gold glove proves it that morons like Jay Mariotti get to vote. If he played anywhere but New York, he wouldn't be a household name. If I could have any player, it would be either Pujols or Carlos Beltran. Pujols is one of the best pure hitters since Ted Williams. If he stays healthy and plays a long time, he should catch every record for righthanders that Frank has set. He is amazing. Beltran will be the next Willie Mays. The playoffs weren't a fluke. He is already one of the top defensive CFs in baseball. He is very fast, he has incredible power for his size, and he is developing into an incredible hitter. Beltran is the epitomy of a five tool player.

soxfan26
01-23-2005, 10:52 PM
I would like to see Todd Helton on the South Side, and keep Konerko some how some way.

Just out of curiosity would you keep Helton, Konerko and Thomas?

If so who would play RF? Or would you petition Pud for a double DH rule?

MRKARNO
01-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Albert Pujols. Look where he's at right now at 25 years old. He can only go up.

Cubbiesuck13
01-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Ok, Im assuming that the people who said Jeter forgot to put it in teal. He is without a doubt the single most overpaid and overrated player in baseball. He hits for average, and thats it. Never before has such a poor fielder been fawned over. People act like he is great defensively, and he isn't. He won a gold glove this year, which is a joke. He has horrible range, and he doens't get particularly good jumps on balls. He makes routine plays look difficult. Whenever he fields to his right he leaps in the air and throws across his body instead of planting and throwing. People watch in awe, assuming that he had to make a leaping throw, when it would be a routine play for even Jose Valentin. He is a defensive liability, and all his gold glove proves it that morons like Jay Mariotti get to vote. If he played anywhere but New York, he wouldn't be a household name. If I could have any player, it would be either Pujols or Carlos Beltran. Pujols is one of the best pure hitters since Ted Williams. If he stays healthy and plays a long time, he should catch every record for righthanders that Frank has set. He is amazing. Beltran will be the next Willie Mays. The playoffs weren't a fluke. He is already one of the top defensive CFs in baseball. He is very fast, he has incredible power for his size, and he is developing into an incredible hitter. Beltran is the epitomy of a five tool player.

Your saying Jeter is overrated but not Beltran? Beltran hit about .270 in the regular season, right? But in the playoffs he played like he will in the future. Is that what you were saying? Because Jeter has played in more than a few playoffs and has done extremely well by anyones standards. Furthermore, how can you compare Beltran to Willie Mays on one years playoff performance? Jeter is overrated only because he plays in NY. Anywhere else he would still be invaluable to his team but not fawned over like he is as a winner in NY so I guess I agree with you on that. But the rest of your argument has more holes than swiss cheeze.

MRKARNO
01-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Beltran will be the next Willie Mays.

Maybe Willie Mays Hayes

In all seriousness, I think he's a great player, but I think offensively he's Jim Edmonds with a lot of steals and few CS's. Mays was a lot better at a younger age than Beltran.

soxfan26
01-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Maybe Willie Mays Hayes

"You may run like Hayes, but you hit like ****!" :redneck

Whitesox029
01-23-2005, 11:18 PM
And besides, if Rolen were here, Crede wouldn't be.
That's a good enough reason for me. Rolen it is.

MUsoxfan
01-23-2005, 11:44 PM
I vote Rolen or Michael Young

Whitesox029
01-23-2005, 11:46 PM
I vote Rolen or Michael Young
I would rather have Teixeira over Young.

MUsoxfan
01-23-2005, 11:48 PM
I would rather have Teixeira over Young.

Not me. Young is a great IF swingman. He was an AS 2B, and then when ARod left, he became an AS SS. A guy like that is invaluable

samram
01-23-2005, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't mind having Vlad Guerrero.

gf2020
01-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Paul Konerko.

jabrch
01-24-2005, 12:11 AM
A-Rod - for SURE. Move Uribe to 3B and put A-Rod at SS. :bandance:

ChiSoxRowand
01-24-2005, 12:31 AM

GREAT point about Jeter. I couldn't believe he got a gold glove this year.

popilius
01-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Hmmm. . .not many pitchers. . .

I'd take Eric Gagne or Ben Sheets over the next 5 years. . . I love to watch these guys pitch.

:gulp:

Foulke29
01-24-2005, 01:01 AM
You mean other than Keith Foulke?

Johann Santana - hands down!
Other guys worth talking about: Victor Martinez (really any of those young guys in the Cleveland system), A-rod for SS, Vlad and Chavez for 3B - I like the left-handed 3B.

SoxxoS
01-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Maybe Willie Mays Hayes

I think that seriously Willie Harris is slowing inching towards the Willie Mays Hayes...In Major League One becuase of his thinking that he is a power hitter...and if you saw that picture of him at Soxfest...that resemples the Willie Mays Hayes of Major League 2, the actor. It's scary. And he really does run like Mays and hit like ****.

As for the discussion, you got to build around Pujols, and I don't think that's up for debate. I have questions that he is only 25, but nothing has legitimitely shown otherwise, so you got to give him benefit of the doubt. You are looking what could be a top 5 hitter in baseball history before it's said and done.

Rolen, AROD, and Vlad are close seconds.

Cubbiesuck13
01-24-2005, 01:17 AM
I think that seriously Willie Harris is slowing inching towards the Willie Mays Hayes...In Major League One becuase of his thinking that he is a power hitter...and if you saw that picture of him at Soxfest...that resemples the Willie Mays Hayes of Major League 2, the actor. It's scary. And he really does run like Mays and hit like ****.

As for the discussion, you got to build around Pujols, and I don't think that's up for debate. I have questions that he is only 25, but nothing has legitimitely shown otherwise, so you got to give him benefit of the doubt. You are looking what could be a top 5 hitter in baseball history before it's said and done.

Rolen, AROD, and Vlad are close seconds.

Pujols is a great hitter no doubt but what about the fact that he is a first baseman? If your going to get anyone you can wouldn't you want more than a one dimensional player? Also given the fact that one of the few spots we don't have a weakness is at first. One of the many reasons I picked Jeter is because SS is weakspot and Uribe would be a better 2b than Harris.

Chrisaway
01-24-2005, 04:47 AM

Id pick ME. I mean I know I suck but Id love to take the field along with my all time favorite sports team once. Of the MLB players I'd go with Pujols. Not only is he a great player but he also has a funny last name.

TheBull19
01-24-2005, 05:29 AM
I'd go with Ichiro - I'm not saying he's the best player out there, but I'd like what he'd do for the team, he's a one of a kind player and would be very fun to watch. Secondly, I'd go with Ivan Rodriguez, another one of a kind, exciting player.

nccwsfan
01-24-2005, 07:20 AM
When you look at past performance and upside you would have to go with Albert Pujols. A-Rod would be choice #1a is Pujols was unable to fulfill his duties as the "franchise guy".

SoxxoS
01-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Pujols is a great hitter no doubt but what about the fact that he is a first baseman? If your going to get anyone you can wouldn't you want more than a one dimensional player? Also given the fact that one of the few spots we don't have a weakness is at first. One of the many reasons I picked Jeter is because SS is weakspot and Uribe would be a better 2b than Harris.

His hitting is just too good to pass up with the #1 pick in a "real fantasy" draft. How is that for a play on words?) Even as a first baseman. You could be looking at another Ted Williams.

Ichiro is an option that slipped my mind earlier and might be #2.

Sad
01-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Aramis Ramirez.

Baby Fisk
01-24-2005, 01:36 PM
As much as I hate him... Jeter.

ja1022
01-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Pujols. Then Vlad or Pudge Rodriguez. The first Pudge we had was pretty damn good.