PDA

View Full Version : RE:Baseball's new steroid policy...

Elvisfan1977
01-23-2005, 04:22 PM
I just read George Bova's article and was left with one question. Can anyone tell me why Sox players, (Frank Thomas) refused to take the anonymously administered steroids test? Was it in protest of how MLB was testing for roids at the time, or is this an admission of guilt? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks.

The Wunsch
01-23-2005, 04:27 PM
If I remember correctly, the group of sox players was headed up by Konerko and Tom Gordon, who were protesting how lax the policy was. Supposedly by refusing the test, it would count the same as someone failing the test, and in turn bring about more stringent testing the following year.

Clembasbal
01-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I just read George Bova's article and was left with one question. Can anyone tell me why Sox players, (Frank Thomas) refused to take the anonymously administered steroids test? Was it in protest of how MLB was testing for roids at the time, or is this an admission of guilt? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks.

If 5% of MLB players failed the test (or something like that number), then MLB would put in stricker rules for the following year regarding steriods. So the Sox had 25 players fail, or 40 ( I do not know if the 40 man roster had to test). Anyway, it helped lead to a real rule, and in turn now we have this new rule 2 years later.

TornLabrum
01-23-2005, 08:10 PM
If I remember correctly, the group of sox players was headed up by Konerko and Tom Gordon, who were protesting how lax the policy was. Supposedly by refusing the test, it would count the same as someone failing the test, and in turn bring about more stringent testing the following year.

Little did they know that 5-7% of the players were stupid enough to continue taking juice even after testing was implemented.

Ol' No. 2
01-24-2005, 09:05 AM
If 5% of MLB players failed the test (or something like that number), then MLB would put in stricker rules for the following year regarding steriods. So the Sox had 25 players fail, or 40 ( I do not know if the 40 man roster had to test). Anyway, it helped lead to a real rule, and in turn now we have this new rule 2 years later.Actually, they wound up taking the test after all, after being pressured by the union. The 5-7% who failed really did fail.

Clembasbal
01-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Actually, they wound up taking the test after all, after being pressured by the union. The 5-7% who failed really did fail.

There you go, I learn something new everyday.