PDA

View Full Version : White Sox All The Way this year!!!

idiotAllDAWay
01-23-2005, 02:42 PM
I think the White Sox have a great chance of making the World Series and even winning it, But as we all know the key will be injuries. I want to know your guys' thoughs on this.

jake27
01-23-2005, 02:52 PM
as much as it hurts me to say it, i dont think they will make it to the world series this year. im not saying they cant though. there are too many question marks for me to have them in the world series right now.

SouthSideHitman
01-23-2005, 03:29 PM
I think that they're built well enough to win the Central, assuming the offense holds and once you're into October, anything's possible. That being said, I don't see this as a World Series team unless we get some major bonding a la the 02 Angels or 03 Marlins where the whole would be greater than a sum of the parts. We're just not better than New York or Boston.

There's also just the whole fact that the Sox are a Chicago baseball team, which means it would be pretty amazing to see them in the series. I'm generally of the "I won't believe it until I see it" mindset, especially when we're not looking at a team that many are even predicting to win the division.

darklord23
01-23-2005, 03:48 PM
i think we can if we stay healthy and play to our potential

NSSoxFan
01-23-2005, 03:55 PM
It's all about the injuries and pitching. If those two areas work out for us, I think we can make some noise in October.

OG4LIFE
01-23-2005, 04:54 PM
i love the 'new at wsi' first threads...

zach074
01-23-2005, 06:01 PM
It's baseball, anything can happen.

voodoochile
01-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Ask my head you get one answer.

Ask my heart you get another answer.

I refuse to ever vote in these polls with anything but my heart.

GO SOX!

batmanZoSo
01-23-2005, 06:14 PM
as much as it hurts me to say it, i dont think they will make it to the world series this year. im not saying they cant though. there are too many question marks for me to have them in the world series right now.

I don't think there are any question marks, as in years past when there were many. We're stocked with a good balance of pitching, bullpen, power and a little more speed than usual. Just about all of our possible holes have been filled this offseason. I think this year all we have are a lot of variables, not so much "question marks."

For instance...

Frank healthy or not?
Can Dye stay healthy?
Uribe, fluke or no fluke?
Ditto Rowand.
Hernandez healthy or unhealthy.
Contreras the real deal or overrated?

And I think outside of all that, everything's looking pretty good. And since we've got a great track record with keeping players free from nagging injuries and missing a lot of games, I'm pretty optimistic about this team.

And of course I voted yes because...why the HELL wouldn't I?

Realist
01-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Ask my head you get one answer.

Ask my heart you get another answer.

I refuse to ever vote in these polls with anything but my heart.

GO SOX!

I'm with you. Hope springs eternal.

"Ladies and Gentlemen... your 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox!"

:bandance:

Chisox003
01-23-2005, 06:54 PM
I don't think there are any question marks, as in years past when there were many. We're stocked with a good balance of pitching, bullpen, power and a little more speed than usual. Just about all of our possible holes have been filled this offseason. I think this year all we have are a lot of variables, not so much "question marks."

For instance...

Frank healthy or not?
Can Dye stay healthy?
Uribe, fluke or no fluke?
Ditto Rowand.
Hernandez healthy or unhealthy.
Contreras the real deal or overrated?

And I think outside of all that, everything's looking pretty good. And since we've got a great track record with keeping players free from nagging injuries and missing a lot of games, I'm pretty optimistic about this team.

And of course I voted yes because...why the HELL wouldn't I?

Exactly...So many IF's, but all things considered, Id say this Sox team is better than any in recent memory...There is more balance, and hopefully more consistency...

I think the MAIN key is getting Frank back into the lineup, because in my opinion he makes that lineup turn...Hopefully Crazy Carl can hold down the fort and everybody else can stay healthy....WS '05...Sounds good

MRKARNO
01-23-2005, 06:57 PM
If the question was "can they get there?" I would have responded in the affirmative, but I just dont think they will. Hasnt happened in 87 years, why will 2005 be any different? I hope they can get there, but it would take a lot of healthy players and improvements from certain players to be able to do so. It's definitely not unrealistic, but I want to see this team in action before I say that they are going to the World Series.

SoxFan76
01-23-2005, 07:15 PM
With all due respect, this is a crappy poll. :D:

Seriously, I mean we all want to believe it, but the fact of the matter is that this team can't compare to the Yankees/Cards/Red Sox/Angels as far as pure talent. Maybe they can get something working similar to the Marlins, but you just have to wait it out and support your team through thick and thin. Predicting a World Series just leads to disappointment.

Having said that, this team can POTENTIALLY win it all. WILL they? We don't know. The talent is there. Collectively this is the most complete team we've seen in awhile. There are just too many question marks. We know that Rolen/Edmonds/Pujols are going to tear it up. We know the Yankees are going to score a lot of runs and we know that bullpen is going to shut teams down late in the game (Flash, Rivera, among others).

You know what you're going to get out of Vlad and Garrett Anderson. You know Ortiz and Manny are going to smack the hell out of the ball all over Fenway.

.....The Sox know Buerhle will win at least 15 games, and we pretty much know Garland is going to go 12-12. We know Frank won't play the whole year, we know Dye hasn't been himself the last few years. We know Podsednik had a great rookie season, but fell off drastically in his 2nd year.

I am such an optimistic person normally, but you just have to look at the facts. Unless somebody opens up the checkbook, it will be much longer until we see a World Series championship. Imagine if KW had 100 mil to work with. I can almost guarantee this team would be a perennial playoff contender. But that's just not gonna happen.

So just keep the faith and keep cheering the Sox on.

SOXSINCE'70
01-23-2005, 07:30 PM

To quote Smokey Robinson and The Miracles,
"I Second That Emotion".

mike squires
01-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Ah, preseason picks...March rolls around and everyone gets pumped for the season. April soons arrives along with the buds on the trees and the grass is green again. Everything seems new including the team you pull for. Then October rolls around quicker than you can say, "there's always next year." IN answer to your question...no

balke
01-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Sorry, I hit the no. Usually the blind optimist.... but even a blind man can see that's too optimistic. I like the idea though. I do believe we get into the playoffs, and that's a pretty optimistic in itself.

TheBull19
01-24-2005, 05:36 AM
I voted yes, but what I really meant was the Sox have a chance to go to the WS this year. If Everett, Dye and Thomas are healthy enough to combine for 300 games this year, I think the sox'll be alright.