PDA

View Full Version : Morrissey calls out the lemmings

Fredsox
01-23-2005, 09:22 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050122morrissey,1,7062157.column?coll=cs-home-utility

I thought this was interesting the way Morrissey lambastes the Flubs for taking several steps backwards from last year. He's pretty hard on them actually:

"In an off-season in which the Cubs were supposed to acquire a quality closer, get rid of Sosa and aggressively pursue Beltran, the team is spinning Beltran's move from the Astros to the Mets as a major accomplishment."

"What exactly have the Cubs done this off-season to make you feel you have a World Series-quality team? I believe the correct answer would be: Nothing. Well, they did part ways with two TV announcers, and nothing gets the playoff juices flowing like a change in the broadcast booth."

I had to smile a bit. The lemmings at the convention are all worried about if Sosa will come back into the fold or who was to blame for the collapse last year. There is little focus on how the team will address deficiencies and gaps. Even with that wonderful starting staff, they appear to be one injury away from being sub-500.

SOXintheBURGH
01-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Wow.. in the Cubune no less.

hsnterprize
01-23-2005, 10:12 AM
And how interesting this commentary is...considering just about all the Chicago media was gushing over the prospect of the Cubs going to and/or winning the World Series last year. Heck...I saw reporters in this town say last FEBRUARY the Cubs were going to the World Series last year...just after Greg Maddux came back to the team.

I almost can't help but laugh at all of this. Of course, we have our own team to be concerned with, but to see the mighty north-siders fall from grace like they have is nothing short of bliss. It might be somewhat cruel to laugh at another team's folly, but when it comes to the Cubs, cruelty comes with the territory.

The 2004 Chicago Cubs...no World Series action speaks louder than tons of hype.

Fredsox
01-23-2005, 10:24 AM
And how interesting this commentary is...considering just about all the Chicago media was gushing over the prospect of the Cubs going to and/or winning the World Series last year. Heck...I saw reporters in this town say last FEBRUARY the Cubs were going to the World Series last year...just after Greg Maddux came back to the team.

I almost can't help but laugh at all of this. Of course, we have our own team to be concerned with, but to see the mighty north-siders fall from grace like they have is nothing short of bliss. It might be somewhat cruel to laugh at another team's folly, but when it comes to the Cubs, cruelty comes with the territory.

The 2004 Chicago Cubs...no World Series action speaks louder than tons of hype.

You are absolutely correct that we need to stay focused on the Sox winning, not the Flubs losing,

BUT......................................

it's so much fun to watch them cry when their team goes down the crapper. The raving denials about Sosa cheating with his corked bat or his steroid use, the belief that signing Maddux was the "last piece to the puzzle",and all that other stuff.

The most unkind cut of all would be the White Sox winning in the playoffs and advancing to the World Series. I cannot wait for the season to begin.

HomeFish
01-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Don't laugh so soon. The accursed ones still have the best starting staff in the NL, and every team in their division has weakened. They can still win it all this year, and that's a threat that needs to be taken seriously.

StillMissOzzie
01-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Don't laugh so soon. The accursed ones still have the best starting staff in the NL, and every team in their division has weakened. They can still win it all this year, and that's a threat that needs to be taken seriously.

They do still have 3 quality starters, but they've lost Clement. sCrUB inactivity this off season has made last year's White Sox off season's lack of moves neglible in comparison, when you cosider the big names they've allowed to move on. Moisty Alou and Matt Clement were higher profile guys than anbody the Sox let walk last year. Add to that the still-missing closer, and I am not ready to hand the sCrUBS a pass to the WS just yet.

SMO
:)

Palehose13
01-23-2005, 02:25 PM

:?:

I don't think St. Louis has weakened.

HomeFish
01-23-2005, 02:47 PM
:?:

I don't think St. Louis has weakened.

St. Louis had a lot of career years on their pitching staff last year. Anytime you have a guy with a career year and the season ends, the team is weakened, because he won't put up those numbers again.

HomeFish
01-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Add to that the still-missing closer, and I am not ready to hand the sCrUBS a pass to the WS just yet.

I wouldn't be so confident. They got themselves one of those converted starters in the closer role. Those tend to do well.

RKMeibalane
01-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't be so confident. They got themselves one of those converted starters in the closer role. Those tend to do well.

Oh, please.

LauraJ14
01-23-2005, 04:04 PM
St. Louis had a lot of career years on their pitching staff last year. Anytime you have a guy with a career year and the season ends, the team is weakened, because he won't put up those numbers again.

The Cardinals also gained an All-Star pitcher in Mark Mulder and with the offense that St Louis has, their starting pitchers don't need to be perfect.

Fake Chet Lemon
01-23-2005, 11:02 PM
And don't forget the Cardinals have Larry Walker for the entire season now. I can't wait to see the bombs he'll hit at the Shrine.

Chisox003
01-23-2005, 11:14 PM

*ahem* Loaiza

Its true, they had Carpenter and Marquis have outstanding years...

They also lost their SS and 2B, but added Mulder...Any team with Edmonds, Pujols, and Rolen in the middle of the lineup, though, has to be considered a threat

Edit: Forgot about Larry Walker: Walker, Edmonds, Pujols, Rolen--Not Bad

Lip Man 1
01-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Ozzie:

In my opinion Bartolo Colon and Tom Gordon were bigger losses then Alou and Clement.

All three teams in the N.L. Central have suffered losses. Right now I'd still have to say the Cards are the favorites because they got Kennedy and Grudzilanic to replace their middle infield losses. Those two will do solid jobs. I've got the Cubs pegged for second and the Astros for third. But that's right now...a lot can still happen before opening day.

Lip

MRKARNO
01-23-2005, 11:19 PM

Dont kid yourself, their bullpen is very liable to be a large problem in 2005.

MRKARNO
01-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Ozzie:

In my opinion Bartolo Colon and Tom Gordon were bigger losses then Alou and Clement.

That's a valid opinion, but I think they're going to miss Alou's bat more than anyone thinks. He was probably the 5th best LF in baseball behind Manny, Dunn, Bonds and Hideki. He smacked 39 homers last year and probably would have hit 30 or more this year for them if healthy. The downgrade to Hollandsworth and Dubois platoon is a big one. Also, Clement was the ace before Wood and Prior were able to come back. They desperately needed him last year and will miss him this year as I believe Glendon Rusch will not turn out well. The loss of Colon and Gordon were big, but Takatsu stepped up to replace him (though of course it would have been nice to have had both, I dont think Takatsu would have signed if Gordon had been resigned). Colon's loss left a big hole as well, but he didnt have a good 2004 anyways. Had Frank and Maggs been healthy, the White Sox would have probably won the division without him, while they did not win with him and everyone healthy in 2003. Only time will tell....

SoxSpeed22
01-23-2005, 11:55 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050122morrissey,1,7062157.column?coll=cs-home-utility

I thought this was interesting the way Morrissey lambastes the Flubs for taking several steps backwards from last year. He's pretty hard on them actually:

"In an off-season in which the Cubs were supposed to acquire a quality closer, get rid of Sosa and aggressively pursue Beltran, the team is spinning Beltran's move from the Astros to the Mets as a major accomplishment."

"What exactly have the Cubs done this off-season to make you feel you have a World Series-quality team? I believe the correct answer would be: Nothing. Well, they did part ways with two TV announcers, and nothing gets the playoff juices flowing like a change in the broadcast booth."

I had to smile a bit. The lemmings at the convention are all worried about if Sosa will come back into the fold or who was to blame for the collapse last year. There is little focus on how the team will address deficiencies and gaps. Even with that wonderful starting staff, they appear to be one injury away from being sub-500.
The problem was that the starters did not go long enough into games and wore out the bullpen, they did not address their deficiencies. As for the collapse, it was their own damn fault they couldn't beat teams they were better than. The offense can go from scorin' 10 runs in an inning to failing to score with the bases juiced and no one out twice in one game. Sosa's right that he gets blamed for their failures, but you're a team, you lose as a team. You can either whine about it or do somethin' about it.

Whitesox029
01-24-2005, 12:44 AM
Ozzie:

All three teams in the N.L. Central have suffered losses. Right now I'd still have to say the Cards are the favorites because they got Kennedy and Grudzilanic to replace their middle infield losses. Those two will do solid jobs. I've got the Cubs pegged for second and the Astros for third. But that's right now...a lot can still happen before opening day.

Lip
I'm pretty sure it was Eckstein and not Kennedy that the Cards got. I can see where you would have mixed them up though, both Angels.

Banix12
01-24-2005, 01:08 AM
That's a valid opinion, but I think they're going to miss Alou's bat more than anyone thinks. He was probably the 5th best LF in baseball behind Manny, Dunn, Bonds and Hideki. He smacked 39 homers last year and probably would have hit 30 or more this year for them if healthy. The downgrade to Hollandsworth and Dubois platoon is a big one. Also, Clement was the ace before Wood and Prior were able to come back. They desperately needed him last year and will miss him this year as I believe Glendon Rusch will not turn out well. The loss of Colon and Gordon were big, but Takatsu stepped up to replace him (though of course it would have been nice to have had both, I dont think Takatsu would have signed if Gordon had been resigned). Colon's loss left a big hole as well, but he didnt have a good 2004 anyways. Had Frank and Maggs been healthy, the White Sox would have probably won the division without him, while they did not win with him and everyone healthy in 2003. Only time will tell....

They will miss Alou's bat but not that much. When you look at their lineup opening day from last year to this year the only changes really are switching out Alou and A. Gonzalez for Nomar and a Hollandworth/Dubois platoon. When you figure the age of Alou and how his great play last year was an abberation compared to his other years in a cub uniform. it's probably going to be a wash offensively as far as strength in the lineup. I also don't think Dubois is going to be a bad player, he's got some serious potential if they would let him play.

Clement was a good pitcher but he was a fifth starter on this team. A really damn good fifth starter but he was a luxury for them not a necessity. They have 7-8 guys on the team who can start, not all like clement but they can start. Colon was our #1 so of course it hurt us more..

When you look at the cubs they have the same problems they had last year. They don't have anybody who gets on base at the top of the order and they don't have a closer. Like last year those problems could end up coming back to bite them in the butt.

The Cubs still have the talent to win that division especially with that weakened division. And if Sosa sticks around and gets it in his head that he is playing for a contract elsewhere this season, who knows what he can do. I still favor the Cardinals only because they are more reliable at key positions like Closer, they have a legit #1 starter now, and their middle of the lineup can outhit the cubs lineup anyday.

I really want the Brewers to win anyway.

santo=dorf
01-24-2005, 01:35 AM

Well at least the current gaping hole in LF is better defensively than Moises Alou. :rolleyes:

So what if St. Louis doesn't win 105 games this year? They'll win 95+ and still go to the World Series.

Sheez. :dtroll:

maurice
01-24-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't like Alou at all . . . but he was the cubs' most productive offensive player last year. Subtract all that production, subtract Clement's production, subtract a decent 2B and bullpen arm . . . and then add a crappy backup C, an extremely irritating RF, and a bunch of BS about acquiring several big-name players to whom they never made serious offers.

It's hard to see how this is a formula for improving on a third-place finish.

SOXPHILE
01-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Morrisey better watch out, or the Trib will move his column around to the middle or back pages, and/or we'll see alot of "Rick Morrisey is on assignment" in the the space his column usually is. Didn't something like this happen to Steve Rosenbloom a couple of years ago after he continued to blast the Cubs, even after being told to cool it by Tribune managment ?