PDA

View Full Version : Monster Home Runs

RKMeibalane
01-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Every once in a while, someone hits a home run so tremendous that the only thing one can do is sit back and laugh at how hard the ball was hit. I've seen several during my time as a baseball fan. What are some examples of home runs you've seen that have the same effect on you.

*NOTE*

I posted this in the Clubhouse because I'd like to focus mainly on home runs hit by Sox players, but if you can't think of any, you're welcome to list other examples.

There are a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

June 7, 2003: The Sox were in Los Angeles for a Saturday night game against the Dodgers. Wilson Alverez, formerly of the Sox, was on the mound, and Frank Thomas was at the plate. Wilson tried to throw a fastball by Frank, but the Big Hurt would have none of it. Perhaps the only thing more impressive than the home run itself was the sound made when Frank's bat made contact with the ball. It reminded me of a video game sound effect. That's how hard the ball was hit.

Because the game was being played in Dodger Stardium, a virtual dead-zone for home runs, the ball didn't travel that far. All things considered, however, the homer was still impressive, as it landed about five rows back in the left field seats. Darrin Jackson said, "That ball was absolutely mashed."

July 23, 2002: This home run stood as the longest hit at New Comiskey Park until Joe Borchard's home run this past summer. In the second of a three-game set against the Twins, Frank Thomas launched a 495-foot homer to left-center. Ironically, the ball landed a few feet away from where our fearless leader, PHG, was sitting. The Twins threw at Frank the following afternoon, prompting Jose Valentin to fling his bat into the Minnesota dugout. Ron Gardenhire landed on his ass.

Brian26
01-22-2005, 06:54 PM
The Twins threw at Frank the following afternoon, prompting Jose Valentin to fling his bat into the Minnesota dugout. Ron Gardenhire landed on his ass.

Manos is going to be missed this year. The guy was a leader.

samram
01-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I think I remember Greg Walker hitting one into the the CF bleachers at the old park in the 1987 Crosstown Classic. I also like seeing balls go into the fountain at Kauffman Stadium.

As for non-Sox homers, the homer by Bonds in the 2002 WS off of Percival was awesome to watch, steroid-induced or not.

RKMeibalane
01-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Manos is going to be missed this year. The guy was a leader.

I agree. As much as some of things he did irritated me, I never questioned the fact that the guy works his ass off. It's just too bad things ended the way they did. The Sox need more players like Jose, players who aren't afraid to get their uniform dirty if it means winning a ballgame.

Brian26
01-22-2005, 06:58 PM
I agree. As much as some of things he did irritated me, I never questioned the fact that the guy works his ass off. It's just too bad things ended the way they did. The Sox need more players like Jose, players who aren't afraid to get their uniform dirty if it means winning a ballgame.

Or giving the Sammy tap-the-heart-and-the-lips sign in enemy territory after a big ****ing homerun. Or hopping after he rounds third base and high-fives the Scrubs former manager after a walk-off dinger. Jose ruled.

NSSoxFan
01-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Or giving the Sammy tap-the-heart-and-the-lips sign in enemy territory after a big ****ing homerun. Or hopping after he rounds third base and high-fives the Scrubs former manager after a walk-off dinger. Jose ruled.

I loved Jose also, there isn't another attitude like his in the majors. That being said, I won't miss Jose and his 8 K's in a row. Also, something that no one talks about is how Jose improved his defense every year he was on the Sox.

veeter
01-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Manos is going to be missed this year. The guy was a leader. His personality will be missed but his level of play dropped so much (strikeouts, BA) he had to go. I think one reason they're going to take off is Uribe. But you're right, in Valentin's 5 years he was White Sox baseball: clutch, deadly to the Cubs and mocked Sosa. I will always love him for that.

cubhater
01-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Willie Stargell lauched one just to the right of The Urnial's scoreboard when I was a teenager. I stood up as soon as he hit it cause it appeared the ball was heading toward me. All I could do was look up as the ball sailed WAY over my head! That's Cub pitching for ya!:D:

cubhater
01-22-2005, 07:29 PM
I loved Jose also, there isn't another attitude like his in the majors. That being said, I won't miss Jose and his 8 K's in a row. Also, something that no one talks about is how Jose improved his defense every year he was on the Sox.

My thoughts exactly. IMO he was the real leader of the team. But I won't miss the K's and swinging for the fences all the time.

Gosox1917
01-22-2005, 08:05 PM
I saw those homers from Frank on TV. Unbelievable shots. I enjoyed seeing Canseco in a sox uni hit those steroid induced homers. There was one in Milwuakee that he hit that was absolutely killed. He hit it, dropped the bat, and watched it fly. Good memories.

AOEllis
01-22-2005, 08:07 PM
At a game in Cincy I was at over the summer, Adam Dunn hit a ball off Jose Lima over the steamboat batters eye that ended up rolling down the street into the river, easily over 500 ft.

RKMeibalane
01-22-2005, 08:11 PM
At a game in Cincy I was at over the summer, Adam Dunn hit a ball off Jose Lima over the steamboat batters eye that ended up rolling down the street into the river, easily over 500 ft.

I saw the replay. That ball was absolutely crushed. You can probably find a clip of the homer at the Reds official web-site.

Brian26
01-22-2005, 08:28 PM
I was at the game in 2000 when A-Rod hit the homer onto the leftfield concourse. It sailed over everyone's heads, hit the concourse on one bounce and ricocheted off the back wall right by the hat corner. Unbelievable shot.

RKMeibalane
01-22-2005, 08:32 PM
It's too bad that Sox batting practice has never been open to the public. Back in 2003, when Frank was experimenting with the aluminum bat, he was hitting balls off the back wall in left field. Apparently, one of the balls he hit bounced out of the stadium and into parking lot. Brent Mayne said he had to pick his jaw up off the ground when he saw it.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-22-2005, 08:33 PM
I think I remember Greg Walker hitting one into the the CF bleachers at the old park in the 1987 Crosstown Classic. I also like seeing balls go into the fountain at Kauffman Stadium.

As for non-Sox homers, the homer by Bonds in the 2002 WS off of Percival was awesome to watch, steroid-induced or not.
I recall Chet Lemon hitting a homerun into the fountain in Kansas City, back in the 1970's.
A question: I listened to a lot of Sox games on the radio in 1983, and I know Hawk did the radio. Was that the year he coined, " You can put in theeee Boooaarrdd---------------YES!!!!?

jortafan
01-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Regardless of what we think of the guy otherwise, let's not forget that one monster, 500-foot-plus shot Joe Borchard hit last season at the Cell.

RKMeibalane
01-22-2005, 08:34 PM
I recall Chet Lemon hitting a homerun into the fountain in Kansas City, back in the 1970's.
A question: I listened to a lot of Sox games on the radio in 1983, and I know Hawk did the radio. Was that the year he coined, " You can put in theeee Boooaarrdd---------------YES!!!!?

It might be. I remember listening to a clip of a Ron Kittle home run, and he said "Put it on the board."

RKMeibalane
01-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Regardless of what we think of the guy otherwise, let's not forget that one monster, 500-foot-plus shot Joe Borchard hit last season at the Cell.

That was impressive. It shows what kind of talent the guy has, if he can ever put anything together. I've never been a huge Borchard fan, but I do hope he can eventually become a solid player. It's a shame to see someone completely bottom out like he has, because based on what I've read about him, it seems like he has been putting forth a lot of effort to get better.

Brian26
01-22-2005, 09:06 PM

Hawk didn't do any radio for the Sox in '83. I'm positive it was only Joe McConnell and Early Wynn. Hawk and Drysdale did tv.

Hawk started using the "Put it on the Board and YES" in the summer of 1990 when he came back to the Sox from his exile in New York.

Brian26
01-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Hawk started using the "Put it on the Board and YES" in the summer of 1990 when he came back to the Sox from his exile in New York.

The origin of the "YES" was something Hawk couldn't recall at this year's Soxfest.

I remember an interview from the early 90's when he said it was his reaction, along with his family, when they would go to watch his daughter in her diving competitions in high school or college. Whenever she would hit a nice dive, his reaction was "YES!"....so he brought that over and started using it on tv.

cubhater
01-22-2005, 09:25 PM
I was at the game in 2000 when A-Rod hit the homer onto the leftfield concourse. It sailed over everyone's heads, hit the concourse on one bounce and ricocheted off the back wall right by the hat corner. Unbelievable shot.

Damn, I should've caught that ball on the fly! I told my friend to hold my glove while I went to the have a smoke on the concourse. ARod's shot took forever to leave the field and hung up there like a McGuire blast. Next thing I knew, it came right to me and didn't have to take a step.I raised my hands and it bounced off my palm.

Just another reason why I should quit smoking.

flo-B-flo
01-22-2005, 09:30 PM
In the 80's Luzinski hit one at ol' Sox park in a game I went to that went over the roof and I turned and watched it through the opening to the street. He hit several other titanic blasts for the Sox through those years.:smile:

samram
01-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Damn, I should've caught that ball on the fly! I told my friend to hold my glove while I went to the have a smoke on the concourse. ARod's shot took forever to leave the field and hung up there like a McGuire blast. Next thing I knew, it came right to me and didn't have to take a step.I raised my hands and it bounced off my palm.

Speaking of McGwire, I went to a game against the Cards in 1998. He hit what I thought was a popup to third, and then I thought it was a fly to left, and then suddenly Belle had his back against the wall and it about 10 rows back. I had never seen a ball take that long to get out of the park, nor had I seen a ball hit that high.

Brian26
01-22-2005, 09:32 PM

You must have been standing right next to me. I had a cold beverage in my hand and couldn't quite get to the ball in the time. I just missed the bounce off the back wall.

HomeFish
01-22-2005, 09:38 PM
We all remember Borchard's concourse shot in 2004, but didn't Jose have one too? Against Seattle, I think.

It was right down the right field line, though, just barely fair. But I do think it cleared the seats. Being in the upper deck, I don't know for sure.

sox7235
01-22-2005, 09:47 PM

I was at that game, he stepped up and I turned to buddy and predicted a K. He then launched that HR. he did K in his next 3 ABs though.

I was at the game where Big Frank homered against KC for his 2000th hit. That was a blast also.

markopat
01-22-2005, 10:33 PM
In the 80's Luzinski hit one at ol' Sox park in a game I went to that went over the roof and I turned and watched it through the opening to the street. He hit several other titanic blasts for the Sox through those years.:smile:

I was at that game too...In the Picnic area...face pressed against the rusty, metal fence watching that ball go up...and up...and up....unreal!

Banix12
01-22-2005, 10:41 PM
I saw those homers from Frank on TV. Unbelievable shots. I enjoyed seeing Canseco in a sox uni hit those steroid induced homers. There was one in Milwuakee that he hit that was absolutely killed. He hit it, dropped the bat, and watched it fly. Good memories.

I was at that Canseco game, If I recall he hit it either off of Bernie's Chalet or at least off the top of the slide. That really was something.

SOXintheBURGH
01-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Daryl Ward, when a member of the Astros, absolutely demolished a ball at PNC Park that landed in the river. Unbelievable.

Also, remember that Barry Bonds homer in the World Series a few years ago? After he hit it the camera cut to an Angels player (I forget who) and you can read his lips saying "That was the farthest hit ball I have ever seen."

CubKilla
01-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Speaking of McGwire, I went to a game against the Cards in 1998. He hit what I thought was a popup to third, and then I thought it was a fly to left, and then suddenly Belle had his back against the wall and it about 10 rows back. I had never seen a ball take that long to get out of the park, nor had I seen a ball hit that high.

I was at that game also. Definitely the highest HR I've ever seen hit. I've never seen a ball hit that high go out of any ballpark nor would I think one would have a chance if it wasn't for actually seeing this HR. It was a monster as far as absolute height went.

Milkman43
01-22-2005, 11:26 PM
what about Borchard's blast last-year. Where did that come from?

FedEx227
01-22-2005, 11:38 PM
It's too bad that Sox batting practice has never been open to the public.

Yeah, anyone know the reason why they don't? I've always wished they would.

Max Power
01-22-2005, 11:39 PM
I hate to say it but the farthest home run I've seen in person was hit by the Cubs' Glenallen Hill. The one he put on the top of the building across the street from Wrigley. Everyone was looking around like, "Did that really happen?"

Brian26
01-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Yeah, anyone know the reason why they don't? I've always wished they would.

Used to be. In '96, I remember they'd open the gates at 5pm, and the Sox would be taking BP as you entered the Park. Their BP went for at least another 30 minutes after this.

kruzer31
01-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Eric Chavez off Ginter a few years back. The ball was shot out of a cannon, I want to say it went over the concourse at Comiskey and hit off the wall. Also, Glenallen Hill hit one on the roof of an apartment building across waveland ave. Ridiculous. I remember another shot by Mark McGwire off Randy Johnson in the Kingdome that was a 500 footer. How about Home Run derbys? Sosa in Atlanta and hitting balls off Bernie the Brewer's slide and out of Miller Park. McGwire in Fenway park in the Home Run Derby, and who can forget Frank Thomas's 512 foot home run in the derby in Pittsburgh in 94 I think and went on to win it

Jeff

ChiSoxRowand
01-23-2005, 02:15 AM
Richie Sexson hit that shot off the center field video screen at the BOB against the Cubs last year.

Parrothead
01-23-2005, 02:20 AM
I think I remember Greg Walker hitting one into the the CF bleachers at the old park in the 1987 Crosstown Classic.

Are you sure? I thought there were only seven people to hit a homer into the CF bleachers and I know Greg Walker is not one of them. I think George Bell was the last one to do it.

Nellie_Fox
01-23-2005, 02:42 AM
Kittle at Milwaukee County Stadium against the Brewers. He hit one that was still rising as it passed over the light towers in left field.

Several innings later, Hawk was still muttering "mercy, did he hurt that one."

Mohoney
01-23-2005, 03:57 AM
Richie Sexson hit that shot off the center field video screen at the BOB against the Cubs last year.

Oh God, was that a monster.

Deadguy
01-23-2005, 08:22 AM
I remember a day game back in 1996 where Big Mac hit one that landed onto the left field concourse. A lot of people thought that it was going to leave the stadium. Incidently, this was the same day that they were shooting scenes for My Best Friend's Wedding. I only remember this because they showed Julia Roberts, et al. watching the game from a luxury box.

BigEdWalsh
01-23-2005, 09:16 AM
I saw one of Luzinski's roof clearing shots in old Comiskey. Had a beautiful view of it from the upper deck in right field. I can still see it my mind, something I'll never forget.
The hardest hit ball I ever saw was off the bat of Harmon Killebrew in the late 60's. It was one of those miserable low attendance days, there might have been 2,000 people there. The ballpark was real quiet. I was in the lower box seats behind the Sox dugout. And Killer absolutely crushed the ball. I've never seen a ball leave the yard so quick. It went deep into the upperdeck in left-center and the few in attendance and probably most of the players just gasped.

Nick@Nite
01-23-2005, 09:26 AM
It's too bad that Sox batting practice has never been open to the public. Back in 2003, when Frank was experimenting with the aluminum bat, he was hitting balls off the back wall in left field. Apparently, one of the balls he hit bounced out of the stadium and into parking lot. Brent Mayne said he had to pick his jaw up off the ground when he saw it.

I always thought home teams take BP first, before the gates open, to reduce distractions.

During BP at Kauffman Stadium July 2003, I watched Frank come within 10 feet or so of hitting the show-truck that sits on that platform, high up on the left field hill. During that same BP, Manos, batting from the left side, bounced one off the base of the giant flag pole at the top of the right field hill.

tsamdog
01-23-2005, 09:40 AM
I can recall two yard shots that clearly were mammoth. One was at a double-header in '70 or '71 against KC. Dick Allen hit a ball that I swear was no more that 30 feet off the ground the whole way......hitting the centerfield scoreboard. The sound off the bat (from our seats in the left field bleachers) was like a rifle-shot, and the sound hitting the scoreboard was sick. If anyone can remember that date, I am sure that they remember that moment.

The other was in '77 against the Yankees. Richie Zisk hit one right over our heads in the left field upper deck. I kept thinking that we had a shot at the ball....but the damn thing kept going...and going. It was one of the those moments at the OC that shook the place. Zisk's homer was my first 'roof shot' ,and it was impressive to say the least.

harwar
01-23-2005, 10:01 AM
I remember (back in 1970 i think it was),ol Ed Herman hitting one out of the stadium and over the roof.It might have bounced on top of the roof because i was sitting behind homeplate and couldn't really tell.

cubhater
01-23-2005, 10:21 AM
You must have been standing right next to me. I had a cold beverage in my hand and couldn't quite get to the ball in the time. I just missed the bounce off the back wall.

Heck, you could've finished your beer by the time the ball got to us and used both hands!:D:

cubhater
01-23-2005, 10:24 AM

Bo Jackson's HR in the '93 clinching game was like that too. Seemed to take 20 seconds to leave the yard.

cubhater
01-23-2005, 10:26 AM
I hate to say it but the farthest home run I've seen in person was hit by the Cubs' Glenallen Hill. The one he put on the top of the building across the street from Wrigley. Everyone was looking around like, "Did that really happen?"

Funny thing about that HR is that the 'official' distance was 385 feet. Who calculates these measurements?:rolleyes:

MRKARNO
01-23-2005, 10:43 AM
The longest Homer I've seen in when I've gone to a White Sox game was unfortunately not by a White Sox player. It was by Barry Bonds in 2003. He hit a 477 foot shot to right which everyone in the park new was gone as soon as the sound of the contact reached their ears. It wasnt a towering shot, but a line drive.

RKMeibalane
01-23-2005, 10:54 AM
The longest Homer I've seen in when I've gone to a White Sox game was unfortunately not by a White Sox player. It was by Barry Bonds in 2003. He hit a 477 foot shot to right which everyone in the park new was gone as soon as the sound of the contact reached their ears. It wasnt a towering shot, but a line drive.

I remember that. Jerry Manuel was asleep in the dugout, but the raucous after the homer woke him up.

samram
01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Are you sure? I thought there were only seven people to hit a homer into the CF bleachers and I know Greg Walker is not one of them. I think George Bell was the last one to do it.

I thought he did. It was an exhibition game, so maybe they didn't count it.

jabrch
01-23-2005, 12:46 PM
A few of Luzinski's rooftop shots at the old park were monsterous.

I was at the game (attendance was about 5000 people as it was a Monday day game to make up for a rainout) where Borchard hit that ball onto the concourse in RF. That was as far and as hard as I have seen a ball go.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-23-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure anyone mentioned this, but the hardest hit home run ball in Sox history has to be Dick Allen crushing one on a line into the center field bleachers at Old Comiskey. Nobody ever hit a ball harder.

Think about it. It was 440 feet to the wall in dead center field at the old ballpark. (Forget about that stupid bullpen fence. Allen's shot would have torn somebody's arm off had they tried to catch it.) The wall itself was 30 feet above the playing surface. Allen's shot cleared that wall and landed up in those seats!

Furthermore, unlike any of these other home run hitters talked about in this thread, Allen never hit lofty home runs. They were all frozen ropes exploding off the barrel of that telephone pole he took to home plate each at-bat.

Joe Borchard? Bo Jackson? Ron Kittle? Please. They were swinging balsa wood compared to the Man. Dick Allen was the greatest power hitter in franchise history.
:cool:

BTW, you can hear some of Allen's greatest rips at WSI, thanks to Lip's unbelievable Sox audio archives. Visit this link. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2361)

Who loves ya, baby?
:gulp:

Nick@Nite
01-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure anyone mentioned this, but the hardest hit home run ball in Sox history has to be Dick Allen crushing one on a line into the center field bleachers at Old Comiskey. Nobody ever hit a ball harder.

Think about it. It was 440 feet to the wall in dead center field at the old ballpark. (Forget about that stupid bullpen fence. Allen's shot would have torn somebody's arm off had they tried to catch it.) The wall itself was 30 feet above the playing surface. Allen's shot cleared that wall and landed up in those seats!

Furthermore, unlike any of these other home run hitters talked about in this thread, Allen never hit lofty home runs. They were all frozen ropes exploding off the barrel of that telephone pole he took to home plate each at-bat.

Joe Borchard? Bo Jackson? Ron Kittle? Please. They were swinging balsa wood compared to the Man. Dick Allen was the greatest power hitter in franchise history.

That reminds me of what Bill Lee once said about Dick Allen. Lee was nursing a two run lead with a runner on first, top of the 9th at Comiskey.

The following comes straight from Lee’s book The Wrong Stuff;

My pitching coach came out to see how I felt. I told him I was fine and that I was going to try to get [Buddy] Bradford to hit into a double play. The coach pointed out that Allen was the next batter, so I said, ”Well, then I better get Bradford to hit into a double play.” First pitch, Buddy hit a one-hopper to short and we turned two. Allen got up with the bases empty, and I yelled, “Okay, Dick, let’s see how far you can hit this pitch!” I threw him a terrific slider outside. Great pitch. Allen hit a shot into the upper deck that was still rising when it slammed into the façade. That ball was smoked about five hundred feet. Dick was one of the very few guys who could take your best pitches and hit them hard somewhere. He was the strongest man I had ever seen. I couldn’t believe the size of the bat he swung. Stan Bahnsen had one, and he showed it to me. I couldn’t even lift the son of a bitch. When I hefted that bat, I thought, “Thank God he didn’t hit the ball up the middle on me. All that would have been left of me would have been a grease spot and a pair of spikes with smoke coming out of them.”

tsamdog
01-23-2005, 02:40 PM

BTW, you can hear some of Allen's greatest rips at WSI, thanks to Lip's unbelievable Sox audio archives. Visit this link. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2361)

Who loves ya, baby?
:gulp:

I did mention that particular homerun earlier, but you are so right about Richie "Call me Dick" Allen's shots. I haven't HEARD anything like those since. When he got all of it, they were spectactular.

batmanZoSo
01-23-2005, 02:49 PM
In person, I've only seen one comically long home run and it was in BP. Last year the Angels were in town and one of their guys...I don't know who he was because they just wear numbers in BP. He was black, that's all I remember...and it wasn't Anderson, Guerrero or Guillen...which made it all the more impressive. It couldn't have been Chone, could it've? :cool:

But this guy hit a laser that didn't appear initially to be a titanic blast, but it just ripped through the air and slammed off a chair in the very top row--and it was in deep left-center, past the 375 sign, too.

As far as TV goes, my favorite monster homer was Thomas in the 94 all star game at Three Rivers Stadium. He hit one in the same spot of deep left center off the rim of the 4th deck, and I believe it nailed a player banner. That thing was scalded, as Hawk would say. At our park it would've nailed a concession stand.

RKMeibalane
01-23-2005, 03:24 PM
In person, I've only seen one comically long home run and it was in BP. Last year the Angels were in town and one of their guys...I don't know who he was because they just wear numbers in BP. He was black, that's all I remember...and it wasn't Anderson, Guerrero or Guillen...which made it all the more impressive. It couldn't have been Chone, could it've? :cool:

But this guy hit a laser that didn't appear initially to be a titanic blast, but it just ripped through the air and slammed off a chair in the very top row--and it was in deep left-center, past the 375 sign, too.

As far as TV goes, my favorite monster homer was Thomas in the 94 all star game at Three Rivers Stadium. He hit one in the same spot of deep left center off the rim of the 4th deck, and I believe it nailed a player banner. That thing was scalded, as Hawk would say. At our park it would've nailed a concession stand.

It did hit a player banner. Ironically, it was the "Randy Myers" sign, as he was the Cubs lone representative that season.

santo=dorf
01-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Frank's 2000th hit was a blast. We were a couple of sections over from where it landed, and earlier in the night, my friends were bitching about how no one could hit a homer close to were we were sitting.

Frank's homer off of Prior in 2002 took about 1.8 seconds to leave the yard, and Joe Borchard had some other screamers to go along with number 504.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have to give props to Manos for hitting the Stadium Club diner, and last year Rowand fouled a ball off of Foulke that hit the lights on the roof behind home plate.

Infallible
01-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Longest home run I've seen was a 450+ footer from Geoff Jenkins last year into the upper deck right field at Miller Park against the Stro's. He absolutely launched that bad boy. Sadly the only homeruns I've ever seen by the Sox have been line drives into left by Big Frank or just clearing the wall shots by Paulie. Of course I've seen lots of others but those are the only ones that spring to mind.

FarWestChicago
01-23-2005, 06:23 PM

Furthermore, unlike any of these other home run hitters talked about in this thread, Allen never hit lofty home runs. They were all frozen ropes exploding off the barrel of that telephone pole he took to home plate each at-bat.I've been around a long time and seen a lot of big boppers. And there was nobody like Dick Allen. It's fortunate he never seriously injured somebody in the bleachers with those laser beams he hit into the seats. I can't imagine what it was like pitching to him. They had to be thinking about what would happen if it came back up the middle. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif

doublem23
01-23-2005, 06:29 PM
I remember a day game back in 1996 where Big Mac hit one that landed onto the left field concourse. A lot of people thought that it was going to leave the stadium. Incidently, this was the same day that they were shooting scenes for My Best Friend's Wedding. I only remember this because they showed Julia Roberts, et al. watching the game from a luxury box.

I was at that game. What a ridiculous shot.

Nellie_Fox
01-24-2005, 02:00 AM
I've been around a long time and seen a lot of big boppers. And there was nobody like Dick Allen. It's fortunate he never seriously injured somebody in the bleachers with those laser beams he hit into the seats. I can't imagine what it was like pitching to him. They had to be thinking about what would happen if it came back up the middle. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gifIt's amazing that he never killed a pitcher. He once said that he had nightmares that he killed a pitcher when they threw him a slider on the outside corner.

That center field shot jumped three times on the way out, it had so much backspin on it. Allen just dropped that 42 ounce bat on the ball, generating huge backspin.

Dick Allen
01-24-2005, 09:02 AM
The hardest hit ball I've ever seen was a HR that Kirk Gibson hit off of Tom Seaver that cleared the RF roof. This was when home plate was moved up about 10 feet so it was "easier" to hit a roof shot. It didn't matter with this one, though, I think it was still rising when it left the park.

SOXSINCE'70
01-24-2005, 09:12 AM
I remember one that Frank Thomas hit off Kenny Rogers
in 1991.He hit it so high and deep,it wound up in the Sox
old bullpen area.That was the game Ventura ended with
a 9th inning slam off Goose Gossage,BTW.:D:

voodoochile
01-24-2005, 09:36 AM
At Old Comiskey, I saw Greg Walker (I think) hit one that landed half way up the upper deck. It was still going up as it crossed the opposing RF's head (he wasn't moving). I was sitting in LF and had a profile view of it. The cool thing was it was in the 9th inning with a man on and the Sox down by 2.

Saw Bonds jack 2 out onto Waveland sitting in a skybox in the early 90's with my flubbie fan buddie at Wrigley. They both elicited the "it's too high" comment from him. Total moon shots and both completely crushed.

Anyone remember the ball Canseco hit into the 5th deck at the Skydome? I think it was during an AS game. IIRC it was the only time it had ever been done and they estimated it at well over 500 feet.

JRIG
01-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Back in '97 or '98 I was at Comiskey when Juan Gonzalez was with Texas. He launched one down the left field line that hit the very top portion of the fair pole. That ball was killed.

TaylorStSox
01-26-2005, 05:33 AM
One of the hardest hit balls I can remember, that hasn't been mentioned, was hit by LTP in Toronto. It may have been the first time he was called up. Later in the game, he dove for a ball and got turf burn on his hand. The poor guy could never catch a break. He makes good contact when he's not striking out. :cool:

JUribe1989
01-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Rowand hit a bomb in June 2004 against the Indians. Whenever he finishes his swing with one hand he usually hits a home run. It was off Sabathia. We lost 5-1 but it was a long one.

santo=dorf
01-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Anyone remember the ball Canseco hit into the 5th deck at the Skydome? I think it was during an AS game. IIRC it was the only time it had ever been done and they estimated it at well over 500 feet.
I believe it was in the playoffs.

voodoochile
01-26-2005, 06:01 PM
I believe it was in the playoffs.

that was my second guess, but I couldn't remember.

ode to veeck
01-26-2005, 06:09 PM
A few monster shots I can recall ...

Reggie Jackson hitting the lights above the RF upper deck in the all-star game in old Tiger Stadium, the ball seemed to be still going up when it knocked out some lights

Harmon Killebrew hitting a line drive HR to dead center in Old Comiskey that seemed to have no arc, bounced off the middle of the exploding scoreboard back to the field

Dick Allen hitting a line drive HR in Old Comiskey that had no arc whatsoever, went right past the second baseman and straight out and over the right field wall

Ron Kittle hitting a roof shot over my head as I sat in the LF upper deck, after they had moved home plate up (& it was no longer 440 to the big green wall in CF). I don't recall any roofers when the park was set up with the longer dimensions.

Dave Kingman HR at the Urinal that almost hit my buddy and I getting out of a cab at the corner of Waveland and Addison. The ball came right over the right center field wall and bounced high off the pavement slightly towards the Sheffield side near the middle of the intersection

many. many shots by Hurt, he has crushed many balls in his likely HOF career