PDA

View Full Version : Q and A with Brooks Boyer

lths06
01-21-2005, 10:48 PM
via whitesox.com -
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20050121&content_id=933302&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

Whitesox029
01-21-2005, 11:12 PM
They [the cubs] don't have the organist we have. They have an organ, but they don't have the organist we have.
:supernana::bandance::supernana::bandance:
Nancy.
Rules.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-21-2005, 11:23 PM
brooks is awesome. i hope he liked the road uniform idea i gave him.

zach074
01-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Brooks is awsome!:bandance:

oeo
01-22-2005, 01:00 AM
brooks is awesome. i hope he liked the road uniform idea i gave him.

What was your idea?

scottyl
01-22-2005, 12:42 PM
The blue collar comment was right on.

Clembasbal
01-22-2005, 12:50 PM
The article didn't mention anything about uniforms...can you tell us your idea...and did you send it to him or something?

BTW...Boyer Rocks!

Jurr
01-22-2005, 02:16 PM
If they keep pulling the emotional strings with some of the old fans to get them to come back to the park, we might just get enough people in the stands to have a great financial base.

lths06
01-22-2005, 02:22 PM
If they keep pulling the emotional strings with some of the old fans to get them to come back to the park, we might just get enough people in the stands to have a great financial base.

Shouldn't that be in magenta? :smile:

JKryl
01-23-2005, 12:31 AM
Brooks is a great guy, who always has a good word for you, and isn't afraid to mingle. If Big Frank were as "fan friendly", he'd be a Chicago icon.

SpammySosa
01-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Brooks is a great guy, who always has a good word for you, and isn't afraid to mingle. If Big Frank were as "fan friendly", he'd be a Chicago icon.

Big Frank is VERY fan friendly; it is the media who paints him as otherwise. If you look at some of the other threads you will see many fan's personal experiences with Frank that testify how cordial he was to them. Though I didn't add to their comments previously, I too had a great experience when I met him last year. Just goes to show you can't always believe the media hype. You might want to cancel your subscription to the Tribune.

Hokiesox
01-23-2005, 01:11 AM
The blue collar comment was right on.

Damn straight. Not to toot my own horn, but one of my offices is in the Capitol. So, I guess I am in the affluent category, but I'd much rather have a beer and churro at a Sox game and meet any one of you than schmooze with famous people.

Parrothead
01-23-2005, 02:09 AM
Big Frank is VERY friend friendly; it is the media who paints him as otherwise. If you look at some of the other threads you will see many fan's personal experiences with Frank that testify how cordial he was to them. Though I didn't add to their comments previously, I too had a great experience when I met him last year. Just goes to show you can't always believe the media hype. You might want to cancel your subscription to the Tribune.

I have had to displeasure of meeting Big Frank while I was in a skybox and he was in the skybox next to us. Frank told the sox personnel there to come and tell us that he did not want to be bothered by us, which is fine expect no one in the box even knew he was there until the Sox representative came in. While in the hallway Frank and I were there and I said "Hi Frank" to him. He would not even say "hi" instead Sox personnel had to warn us not to bother him. Frank was a jag that day, others I don't know.

ewokpelts
01-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I have had to displeasure of meeting Big Frank while I was in a skybox and he was in the skybox next to us. Frank told the sox personnel there to come and tell us that he did not want to be bothered by us, which is fine expect no one in the box even knew he was there until the Sox representative came in. While in the hallway Frank and I were there and I said "Hi Frank" to him. He would not even say "hi" instead Sox personnel had to warn us not to bother him. Frank was a jag that day, others I don't know.
are you sure it wasnt this guy ?
:roidduck

Gene

Realist
01-23-2005, 09:53 AM
:supernana::bandance::supernana::bandance:
Nancy.
Rules.

I like the fact that made a point of bringing Nancy up. That could be a good sign that we'll get to hear more of her this year. It's an absolute crime that we don't get to hear Run Around Sue at every single game.

Brooks says he wants to please the majority of the people the majority of the time. More Nancy would be a no-brainer step in that direction. He seems like he has finger on our pulse and I'm really looking forward to the 2005 season.

TornLabrum
01-23-2005, 11:08 AM
I just finished an "Fallen Arches" column regarding several of the things (but not nearly everything) that Boyer has gotten right since he's taken over. Included are a couple of quotes from the interview on whitesox.com.

One of the things I haven't seen mentioned here that I did in the article is that Nancy made her first SoxFest appearance in close to a decade last week. I think that says a lot!

Palehose13
01-23-2005, 11:20 AM
I just finished an "Fallen Arches" column regarding several of the things (but not nearly everything) that Boyer has gotten right since he's taken over. Included are a couple of quotes from the interview on whitesox.com.

One of the things I haven't seen mentioned here that I did in the article is that Nancy made her first SoxFest appearance in close to a decade last week. I think that says a lot!

For the past few season (5+, maybe), I have been bothered by the increasing number of people that don't know to sing "Kiss him goodbye" after a HR and when the opposing pitcher is being yanked. It seems to me that for some reason, Nancy's volume is very low and you can barely hear her. Some of my favorite childhood memories are singing "Kiss him goodbye" at the ballpark, and now it seems like only a handful of people do it. I would love to see Nancy's volume turned UP, so we can hear "KHG", "Runaround Sue", Love Potion #9, and other Nancy Faust tunes.

Brooks, if you are reading seriously...WE NEED MORE NANCY AND TURN HER VOLUME UP! I really don't need to hear "Hey yeah" at the ballpark.

SOXintheBURGH
01-23-2005, 11:26 AM
For the past few season (5+, maybe), I have been bothered by the increasing number of people that don't know to sing "Kiss him goodbye" after a HR and when the opposing pitcher is being yanked. It seems to me that for some reason, Nancy's volume is very low and you can barely hear her. Some of my favorite childhood memories are singing "Kiss him goodbye" at the ballpark, and now it seems like only a handful of people do it. I would love to see Nancy's volume turned UP, so we can hear "KHG", "Runaround Sue", Love Potion #9, and other Nancy Faust tunes.

Brooks, if you are reading seriously...WE NEED MORE NANCY AND TURN HER VOLUME UP! I really don't need to hear "Hey yeah" at the ballpark.

I hear ya man.. I have no need for any music other than AC/DC in the beginning, and Nancy the rest of the way.

Whitesox029
01-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I like the fact that made a point of bringing Nancy up. That could be a good sign that we'll get to hear more of her this year. It's an absolute crime that we don't get to hear Run Around Sue at every single game.

Brooks says he wants to please the majority of the people the majority of the time. More Nancy would be a no-brainer step in that direction. He seems like he has finger on our pulse and I'm really looking forward to the 2005 season.
My thoughts exactly. I thought the bananas would best be able to express my feelings on the subject.
:bandance:

voodoochile
01-23-2005, 11:58 AM

This is the first time I have read something even remotely like this about Frank. I'm betting there's more to the story...

Palehose13
01-23-2005, 12:03 PM
This is the first time I have read something even remotely like this about Frank. I'm betting there's more to the story...

I had an experience like that with Jim McMahon at a hockey game, but no one seems to doubt that story. This is also the first time I have heard something like this about Frank.

TornLabrum
01-23-2005, 12:05 PM

I don't know if it was just me, but I told Nancy late last season that it sounded to me as if her volume had been turned up.

SpammySosa
01-23-2005, 12:10 PM

Not to play correction police,but when I spoke to her,she said it was the first time she had been there in 3 years. The reason the subject came up was because she had asked me how long I had been coming to SoxFest and when I responded this was my 2nd year, she in turn said she hadn't been there in 3.

Palehose13
01-23-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't know if it was just me, but I told Nancy late last season that it sounded to me as if her volume had been turned up.
What did she say, Hal? Hmmm...I'm trying to think when the last game was that I went to last year. It was probably in August (before school started), so I hope you are right. Is it just me or are our "traditions" dying?

Brooks stated in the interview:
We have certain things that they don't have that makes our experience unique. I don't ever find myself comparing us against the Cubs because the experiences are so different.

Well, Nancy Faust has been a tradition that has been unique to the Chicago White Sox since I have been following the team. Reduce the canned music, turn up Nancy, and let's have fun at the 'ole ballpark with the organist! Seriously. When I was a kid, it was a thrill for my dad to take me past Nancy during a game so I could say "Hi" to her and I thought it was great when the new park was built that she got her own little booth right there behind home plate. Technology is great, but this isn't a basketball game. It's baseball. I want to sing along with Nancy!

Edit: BTW...anyone know where that tape of Nancy that was at the garage sale can be bought? That would be great to have for a tailgate. :smile:

hsnterprize
01-23-2005, 12:22 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who have met Frank when he's PO'd, and yet get a positive reaction out of him. He had a bad game against Minnesota one year I was covering a game, and I asked him about a bad pitch he swung at to pop out and end a threating inning. He answered my question and continued to change his clothes. Obviously, he wasn't too thrilled with how the game turned out. After interviewing a couple of other players, I went back to Frank, patted him on the shoulder, and told him that everything was going to be okay. I don't remember everything I told him, but I do remember his demeanor changing and him acknowledging my comment with a "thanks."

Hey...I'm sure all of us could have a bad run-in with our favorite players and such. Just remember...no matter how much money they make or how much they're in the spotlight...they're human too. Millions of dollars rubbed on an injury doesn't make it go away any faster, or make a person feel better after performing poorly.

As far as Nancy is concerned, she is a doll. She's very sweet, and very appreciative of the fans' support. We all should tell Brooks to keep her a VITAL part of the "Sox Experience" he talked about in his Q & A. She's the best organist in baseball, and doggone-it...she should be treated that way.

SpammySosa
01-23-2005, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=Palehose13
Well, Nancy Faust has been a tradition that has been unique to the Chicago White Sox since I have been following the team. Reduce the canned music, turn up Nancy, and let's have fun at the 'ole ballpark with the organist! Seriously. When I was a kid, it was a thrill for my dad to take me past Nancy during a game so I could say "Hi" to her and I thought it was great when the new park was built that she got her own little booth right there behind home plate. Technology is great, but this isn't a basketball game. It's baseball. I want to sing along with Nancy![/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly! Not to get too melodramatic, but when I met her at SoxFest, it was almost like my experiences meeting some of my Sox favorites-that same sentiment you have for the players who have contributed a lot to the team. As part of reducing the canned music, it would be nice if they had Nancy play music for OUR team when they come to bat like she does for the visitors.

TornLabrum
01-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Not to play correction police,but when I spoke to her,she said it was the first time she had been there in 3 years. The reason the subject came up was because she had asked me how long I had been coming to SoxFest and when I responded this was my 2nd year, she in turn said she hadn't been there in 3.

I've seen her at SoxFest. However, it has been close to a decade since she's actually played.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the only SoxFest I've missed was 3 years ago (due to abdominal surgery in December, 2001. Maybe she did play then, but I don't know.

ewokpelts
01-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Edit: BTW...anyone know where that tape of Nancy that was at the garage sale can be bought? That would be great to have for a tailgate. :smile:
I'v eonly seen it at teh garage sale. I do have a copy of it. I'll see if i can dig it up for you.
Gene

Parrothead
01-24-2005, 07:32 AM

I am sure there was but he did not say what it was nor did the Sox staff.

ewokpelts
01-24-2005, 01:02 PM
My back's on the main page. Thanks brooks!

Gene(i'm the one with the beige/plaid shirt on...)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2005/01/23/TVtktCUX.jpg

NotSince1917
01-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I'd suggest pulling down the homepage photo since it violates copyright laws to be posted without permission.

MUsoxfan
01-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I'd suggest pulling down the homepage photo since it violates copyright laws to be posted without permission.

I'm quite sure that the Feds or the White Sox are not on the warpath for people that post pictures on message boards

ewokpelts
01-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm quite sure that the Feds or the White Sox are not on the warpath for people that post pictures on message boards
:reinsy
Thank You for bringing this to my attention.....prepare to feel my wrath Ewokpelts!

:tool
Can I have his spleen?

Gene