PDA

View Full Version : sox scorekeeping

comiskey2000
01-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Do Sox fans like to keep score of the games?...only at the park?...at home?...how many games a year?.....very interested in seeing the results

MUsoxfan
01-21-2005, 10:07 PM
The only score I keep is in my head. I look at the scoreboard if there's a doubt. I never got into the whole scorecard thing

BigHurt359300
01-21-2005, 10:10 PM
My dad and I go to about 25+ games a year. He always keeps score and has scorebooks going back to 1960!

Whitesox029
01-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Do Sox fans like to keep score of the games?...only at the park?...at home?...how many games a year?.....very interested in seeing the results
I myself keep score usually a few times per year. I don't use the diamond method, however. I use the old-fashioned "dots bars and numbers" notation, the way my dad taught me:
for hits:
one bar is a single, two is a double, three is a triple, four is a HR. You use this, plus the position numbers, 1-9. A dot after the scoring stands for an RBI on the play, a dot before the scoring stands for a run scored in the inning.
examples:
.-9 is a single to right, scored in the inning
=7: is a two-run double to left, etc.

for other plate appearances:
For an out, note the positions of the players who handle the ball in order that they handle it:
9 is a flyout to right
6-3 is a grounder to short
3u is an unassisted groundout to the first baseman (as opposed to just 3, a popout to the first baseman)
L4 is a line-out to second
For other plate appearances:
W=walk (.W=walked and later scored)
KS=struck out swinging
KC=struck out looking
HBP=hit by pitch

Indicate a pitching change by bolding the bottom side of the score box of the last player to hit.
Indicate a pinch hitter by bolding the right side of the score box where the original hitter last hit.
Things like stolen base, caught stealing, advance to 2nd can be annotated in the top right and left corners of the score box.
This system has its shortcomings but I don't know any other way, and it doesn't easily get sloppy.
edit: I almost forgot... :welcome: to WSI!

HITMEN OF 77
01-21-2005, 10:38 PM
I always found it hard to eat a hot dog, drink a beer yell at the umpire, keep score and cheer at the same time. One of them had to go and it was keeping score.

whitesoxwilkes
01-21-2005, 10:43 PM
I always found it hard to eat a hot dog, drink a beer yell at the umpire, keep score and cheer at the same time. One of them had to go and it was keeping score.

I've got it down to a science. With the exception of less than 10 games, I have kept score at every game I've been to since I was 14. That's about 400 games.

Plus, scorecards make a great souvenir for out-of-town-parks.

:bandance:

Nick@Nite
01-21-2005, 10:54 PM
When I used to coach softball, I kept the book. That was something I never delegated.

-------------------

Halfway into last year's MLB season, I started keeping score when going to games. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed staying on top of things while the game is being played. Plus, people around you think your a genius as soon as they see your scorecard and pencil.

I was a KC Royals season ticket holder last year - all the while wearing my Sox cap to the games. I always loved people around me go, "hey, who the hell is pitching again?" ... "I don't know" ... "Ooh, that Sox guy is keeping score, he'll prolly know". And of course I did, because I keep a damn good book. :D:

And then there were times to hit the bathroom, and I'd give someone "the look", then ask the question, "can you please keep score while I go to the bathroom? I promise to come right back". Some are actually frightened when you ask that, and some sigh and say OK (women are good for this - I wonder how many times they get stuck keeping score for their husbands & boyfriends)...

It'll be something I continue to do. It helps me keep my head in the game and my ass out of the beer line. :smile:

Nick@Nite
01-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Another time I went to a Yankee - Royals game in KC back in 2003. I sat next to a Yankee fan with his 5 kids and wife. His kids ages were (approximate) 13 (boy), 11 (girl), 9 (boy), 7 (boy), and a baby (girl). He and his posse were all keeping score... minus the baby, who was being taken care of by Mom but was probably only a year away from keeping score too. :D:

His kids were all helping each other out and sometimes arguing whether to score someting a hit or an error. :cool:

I shook the guys hand.

Rocklive99
01-21-2005, 11:32 PM
At least once a year, I would never be able to do it live though

HomeFish
01-21-2005, 11:36 PM
I do it every once in a while, especially if I am out of town in another park.

However, I generally don't do it, because I find it makes it very difficult to stand up and cheer at various times in the game, which I like to do.

WhiteSoxNation
01-21-2005, 11:43 PM

Sometimes at home when im bored.....

indysoxfan
01-21-2005, 11:47 PM
i bought a book on keeping score after last season... i am going to try it... seems like a fun geeky thing i might enjoy.

soxwon
01-21-2005, 11:50 PM
I've got it down to a science. With the exception of less than 10 games, I have kept score at every game I've been to since I was 14. That's about 400 games.

Plus, scorecards make a great souvenir for out-of-town-parks.

:bandance:

congrats wilkes-join the club
ive kept score since 1970, ive been to over 600 sox games and have all but about 100 scorecards in my collection.

soxwon
01-21-2005, 11:51 PM
congrats wilkes-join the club
ive kept score since 1970, ive been to over 600 sox games and have all but about 100 scorecards in my collection.

in 1983 i kept score for about 100 sox games, i went to 35, the rest at home i watched.

Brian26
01-22-2005, 12:37 AM
If I go to games during the week on my own, I really enjoy sitting in the upper deck, listening to Rooney and Farmer on the headphones, and keeping score. It's really an enjoyable experience. It's a way to totally immerse yourself in the game. If I go to the games with friends, I don't keep score. By the way, I use the diamond method w/ some variations I've made up myself.

SouthSideHitman
01-22-2005, 12:59 AM
I always keep score. I don't go to a lot of Sox games in person, so when I do, I wanna be in the game as much as possible and scoring helps me do that. It also let's me see patterns and whatnot. But besides that it's just a tradition thing, something that I enjoy doing for the sheer old-school joy of doing it.

JGarlandrules20
01-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Keeping score is fun!

I don't do it that much at sox games, though. Once in a while I'll bust out the scorecard at home..

I fractured my finger in softball freshman year, so I had to keep score a lot of games. That's where I learned.

fed ex 4 pasqua
01-22-2005, 01:21 AM
1998, saw sox-cubs 1st + 3rd games at wrigley. sox were swept and my season tickets came up for monday's game, sox-cards. the only thing that could keep my interest in the game was keeping score. saw mcguire's 28th home run and have kept score ever since. it is addictive. watching at home, the notations always spring into my head. also i sit behind a guy that has been cited in a book on scorekeeping. neatest scorecard i have ever seen, but i have never heard him speak. opening day scorecards are usually illegible by the 6th inning.

Whitesox029
01-22-2005, 01:26 AM
I fractured my finger in softball freshman year, so I had to keep score a lot of games. That's where I learned.
How did you write? :wink:

JGarlandrules20
01-22-2005, 01:38 AM
How did you write? :wink:
...With my hand. I fractured my ring finger on my right hand. Drawing lines and writing numbers wasnt that difficult.

Whitesox029
01-22-2005, 01:40 AM
...With my hand. I fractured my ring finger on my right hand. Drawing lines and writing numbers wasnt that difficult.
I was being silly of course since it's nearly a quarter to 1 on a Saturday morning.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2005, 09:11 AM
I used to keep score religiously. It was a game to see whether I could accurately record all nine innings. I would even check my work the next morning comparing my totals to the official box score. That's a Virgo for you...
:redface:

I have stacks of old scorecards and each one includes my ticket stub and the newspaper's box score. Then I figured out, "What the hell, why am I keeping score when the newspaper does it for me?" Now I just enjoy watching the game. I still collect the scorecards and they still contain my ticket stub and the newspaper box score, but that's it.
:cool:

When Pants and Sweetpea are old enough to learn, I will teach them how to keep score. In the meantime I'm not bothering.
:redneck

TornLabrum
01-22-2005, 09:38 AM
I almost always keep score. The main exception is when I arrive late at a game (usually because Jeff is driving because he's never on time for anything). I'm going solo with my package this year, so there will be fewer late games. I usually try to get to to the ball park before the gates open.

In fact WhiteSoxWilkes uses the same book I use. He saw me using it at one game (I think an exhibition game in Milwaukee) and found a place closer to him than JJ Sport in Joliet that sells them.

I'm like PHG in one respect. When Jeff was little I had to keep an eye on him, and that's not compatable with keeping score. When he got older, I taught him to score, but since he's always late, he doesn't do it much now.

JRIG
01-22-2005, 09:43 AM
I have kept score at every Sox game I've been to since 1993, unless I arrive late. That's literally hundreds of scorecards.

The key to me is to personalize it. Yes, a box score in the paper can tell you the same thing, but it can't tell you who you attended the game with, where you were sitting, crazy plays that occured during the game, and any other little detail that would bring back a flood of memories. The box score is an archive for baseball. The scorecard is an archive for me.
Plus, I enjoy having the level of involvement in a game. Knowing everything that has happened is a nice thing.

TRL
01-22-2005, 09:45 AM
I take score a lot especially when I go to other parks. I would say that especially in other ballparks you get a lot of stupid questions from other fans when you do.

It has been mentioned already, but it is a great souvenir. I always like to look back at some of the games I went to years ago and see who was playing then. It's interesting to look back and see what players were insignificant at the time, but have now become All-Stars.

idseer
01-22-2005, 09:57 AM
to me, keeping score was an exercise in futility. a distraction. i've never wanted to keep score at anything.
until automated bowling took over i'd never go bowling by myself because there was no one to keep score! :smile: (not that i do that much) i'd never golf (real or mini) alone for the same reason. i always had a friend willing to do it.
i prefer playing cards at yahoo because the scoring is kept automatically.

keeping score seems too anal to me.

(my best friend insists on keeping score at every baseball game he goes to)

ja1022
01-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Other than showing Zach how to score a game for a half inning or so, I'll bet that it has been 30 years since I kept score at a major league game. I've probably kept the book at around 75 little league games over the past few years however. I always get a kick out of how, when fathers keep score of their son's LL games, fielder's choices and errors magically become base hits.

whitesoxwilkes
01-22-2005, 11:44 AM
In fact WhiteSoxWilkes uses the same book I use. He saw me using it at one game (I think an exhibition game in Milwaukee) and found a place closer to him than JJ Sport in Joliet that sells them.

Here's a link to the Hal-O-Matic scorebook:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000BY973/qid=1106412102/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl200/102-1061405-9209716?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846

Highly recommend it. Much more compact than most.

I use the book for all Sox home games except for Opening Day or unless I accidentally leave it at home, in which case I buy a scorecard.

Gosox1917
01-22-2005, 12:20 PM
I haven't kept score since 2003. I just never got around to getting another scorecard. I do love it though, especially some of the games where the Sox comeback and win. I kept score of a lot of games in 2000. Many good memories when I look back at those.

Rocklive99
01-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Also, to add to my reply, I learned in junior high. Each teacher got a class where they could teach an interest of theirs, and one pick scoring baseball and basketball :D

comiskey2000
01-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Seems like the ultimate goal would be to keep score of 162 straight games...that be really be something, an entire year.

jake27
01-22-2005, 01:04 PM
i started keeping score regularly in 2003 because my dad did it. now if i dont keep score my attention seems to drift away fromt he game. its also cool to have a scorecard from a game, especially if it turns out to be a historic game

tebman
01-22-2005, 01:20 PM
I always keep score when I'm at a game. I've got old scorecards in a box in random order. I dunno -- it makes me feel more connected to the game.

I played in an APBA league for nearly twenty years and got so comfortable keeping up a scorecard that I feel negligent if I go to a game and don't do it.

- tebman

nccwsfan
01-22-2005, 02:44 PM
I love to keep score of games- there was a time that I stopped but in the past 3 years I've gotten back into the habit. It's a great way to keep others around you into the game, not to mention that it's great to look at them in the offseason when things are a little slow....unfortunately my live viewing of the Sox has been relegated to their games in Baltimore, but it's a great habit. Also fun to listen to Rooney and Farmio while keeping score once in awhile....

kaufsox
01-23-2005, 12:09 AM
I have to keep score when I'm at the game. If I don't, I feel like there is something missing the entire time I'm there. Oddly enough though I always throw away my scorecards, much to my wife's consternation. She can't believe that I do all of that work, and then toss it away as we walk out of the gate. Question for all of you fellow pencilpushers out there: If the Sox offered a chance to sit with the official scorer for a game (like those other activities that we can buy, i.e. delivering the lineup etc.) how much would you pay? I would need to hit the lottery, but after that I'd sign up...

ssviland
01-23-2005, 07:25 PM
I went to my second ballgame (Cubs v. Dodgers) at Wrigley Field in 1977 and that is where I learned to keep score from my mom. She was (and is) a big Cubs fan, and also a great softball player. My dad was a Sox fan, but worked too much to go to games.

I was a fan of both teams and didn't make a commitment to the Sox until around 1979. I only went to one game with my dad, but many with various family members and friends to both parks. I kept score at all of them until about 10 years ago when I took some kids and had my hands too full to keep score. Now that my own kids are old enough I don't always get to keep score. When I go to games alone or with my oldest son I always do.

Unfortunately I no longer have most of the dozens of scorecards from my childhood, as boxes of stuff were lost or discarded after my parents divorce in 1985. I do have many from my adult games, and it is is fun to look them over and recall a Konerko Grand Slam, or a Ron Kittle roof shot. Whoo hoo!

Nick@Nite
01-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Question for all of you fellow pencilpushers out there: If the Sox offered a chance to sit with the official scorer for a game (like those other activities that we can buy, i.e. delivering the lineup etc.) how much would you pay?

My man, I would be doing the Sox a favor... they'd have to pay me. Ok, ok... I'd do it for free. :redneck

Chez
01-24-2005, 06:14 PM
I am a fanatic about keeping score. I've scored every game I've ever attended (since 1965) and have save all my old scorecards and programs -- to the chagrin of my late mother, first wife and current wife!! Before the advent of the internet, I would tape games I attended in case my friends insisted on leaving early. Then I would watch the tape the next day from the point in the game when I left the park and fill in any information I missed. Sick -- I know; but keeping score is part of my ritual of attending ballgames -- handed down by my grandfather. I've taught both my sons how to keep score and they love going through the old scorecards.

CallMeNuts
01-24-2005, 07:48 PM
I keep score for about a dozen games per year live and another dozen games that I catch on TIVO. I use my Palm handheld to keep score pitch-by-pitch using a program I got at www.scorepad.com (http://www.scorepad.com/). Both of my daughters keep score as well. One on the Palm and the other on paper.

whitesoxwilkes
01-24-2005, 08:31 PM
I keep score for about a dozen games per year live and another dozen games that I catch on TIVO. I use my Palm handheld to keep score pitch-by-pitch using a program I got at www.scorepad.com (http://www.scorepad.com/). Both of my daughters keep score as well. One on the Palm and the other on paper.

Hey CallMeNuts--what kind of PDA do you have?

nccwsfan
01-24-2005, 09:20 PM

Very nice-do you need to have a PDA to use this? This would be great for those games I score at home...

CallMeNuts
01-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Hey CallMeNuts--what kind of PDA do you have?

I've got a Handspring Visor Edge. Black & White. About 2 or 3 years old.
I also used Scorepad with an older Handspring Visor.
The software works on any Palm OS software.
It's very cool in color. Maybe I'll upgrade to a Treo this year.

CallMeNuts
01-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Very nice-do you need to have a PDA to use this? This would be great for those games I score at home...

Yes. To the best of my knowledge, you need to have a PDA to use this. Completed scorecards are uploaded back into your PC. On the PC, you can view or print a variety of reports. You can also create output in HTML format.

You can also subscribe to their stats service, which will allow you to download full MLB stats from their web site. These stats are then downloaded into your Palm when you sync. So as you score the game, you get up to the minute stats.

comiskey2000
01-24-2005, 11:27 PM
have any of u scoring nuts thought of trying to keep score 162 straight games?

duderanch420
01-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Me and my dad used to keep score for almost every game for years either at the park or on the radio