PDA

View Full Version : Clemens worth $18 Million?

buehrle4cy05
01-21-2005, 04:53 PM
He's only going to show up to some games, he probably won't ever be on the road unless he's starting, BUT he just won the Cy Young. Would the $18 million have been better spent on Carlos Beltran or Roger Clemens?

NSSoxFan
01-21-2005, 04:58 PM
He's only going to show up to some games, he probably won't ever be on the road unless he's starting, BUT he just won the Cy Young. Would the $18 million have been better spent on Carlos Beltran or Roger Clemens?

I don't see how this guy is making so much money, especially since he only shows up to home games, and sometimes not even. It makes me happy as a White Sox fan to know that KW or JR would never give these kinds of perks to any player. What is the point of being part of a team, if you only show up to 50% or less of the games? It's almost as if Clemens is a top secret U.S. Government Test, who gets transported to the park when it his turn to perform.

chaz171
01-21-2005, 05:05 PM
No.

HoustonAstros967
01-21-2005, 05:07 PM

Lets see who won 18 games had a 2.98 ERA and won the Cy Young. Roger Clemens. Lets see what Carlos did, he hit .268 during the regular season and little attention was paid to him. Carlos is inconsistant in his stats and he isn't worth 18 million. Clemens is proven and is going to help the Astros so much. CLEMENS IS WORTH 18 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!

Flight #24
01-21-2005, 05:15 PM
As a player? Nah, not worth it. As a draw? Indubitably. They could field a team of 8 Joe Borchards the days he pitches and still sell out.

Having lost Beltran, they absolutely needed to get him to come back or attendance would have torpedoed.

Jjav829
01-21-2005, 05:16 PM
He's worth it if he pitches in 2005 like he did in 2004. They desperately need him. Losing Beltran hurts, but they were doing okay without him. Getting Clemens back helps, but they'll need Pettitte back healthy as well. They need to find another bat to replace Kent and then hope Berkman makes it back quickly.

Nick@Nite
01-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Cynically speaking, after all the publicity leading up to Beltran signing with the Mets, the Astros probably looked at paying Clemens 18M as chump change compared to possibly seeing attendance fall into the floor boards.

Competition wise, a rotation having a healthy Pettitte, Clemens & Oswalt isn't too shabby.

chaz171
01-21-2005, 06:12 PM
If he goes 4-0 or so against the Cub,

It's a bargain

veeter
01-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Add together last year's salary and this years, then divide by two. He's well worth it. Seven Cy Youngs and there's question?

Fenway
01-21-2005, 09:35 PM
When Clemens departed Boston, Red Sox general manager Dan Duquette said the team did not give long-term contracts to players "in the twilight of their career."

Well, Duquette was dumped in Boston and Clemens still rolls along.

NSSoxFan
01-21-2005, 10:06 PM
When Clemens departed Boston, Red Sox general manager Dan Duquette said the team did not give long-term contracts to players "in the twilight of their career."

Well, Duquette was dumped in Boston and Clemens still rolls along.

I'm just glad that Scheuler got Jaime Navarro over that bum.

buehrle4cy05
01-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Lets see who won 18 games had a 2.98 ERA and won the Cy Young. Roger Clemens. Lets see what Carlos did, he hit .268 during the regular season and little attention was paid to him. Carlos is inconsistant in his stats and he isn't worth 18 million. Clemens is proven and is going to help the Astros so much. CLEMENS IS WORTH 18 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!

Well you are obviously going to defend the move, being an Astros fan. I know how that goes-I defended Kenny Williams when he made the Todd Ritchie trade (not comparing this to that).

ode to veeck
01-22-2005, 11:48 AM
worth it, absolutely, with some small risk the curve of ability due to aging starts to show, but as pointed out, that risk more than easily insured by his drawing power.

34 Inch Stick
01-22-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm glad Ron Schuler thought he was done.

There are very few pitchers in this league that would get me to go out and buy a ticket to see them play. Roger Clemens is one of those pitchers. This is a living legend who is still performing at a very high rate. I hope he pitches for several more years and hits 350 wins.

Foulke You
01-22-2005, 02:25 PM
To me, it is simple math. With Clemens, the Stros are contenders. Without him, they'd be a lock for 3rd place. So the answer is, yes, 1 year $18 million is worth it for the Rocket.

soxfan26
01-22-2005, 07:29 PM

IMO Clemens is worth the money. Your question about spending on Beltran vs. Clemens is meaningless, Clemens & the Astros were obviously waiting it out to see what Beltran's decision would be. By the time negotiations started with Clemens, Beltran was a NY Met.

He's worth it if he pitches in 2005 like he did in 2004.

The Herndon Hippos are counting on it! :cool: