PDA

View Full Version : Selling Sox Tix on Stub-Hub

DannyCaterFan
01-21-2005, 12:11 PM
As a long-time 27 game season ticket holder, I am somewhat unhappy to see how the Sox have gone to a tiered pricing policy. As I continue to watch the cost of my tickets soar every season, I keep wondering if there are ways I can defray some of the cost. The thought occurred to me that if I pick up the option to purchase tickets for all three games of the Cubs/Sox series (Which I already have) and try to sell them, I could re-coup a major part of the expense. I am going to post the tickets at an inflated cost on Stub Hub.com and hope that some Cub's fans will buy them. If that happens, I will be able to enjoy most of the season knowing some dumb Cub fan is paying the major part of my season tickets cost. Has anyone else done this successfully? Is Stub Hub a good spot to sell them? Just throwing this out as an idea.

ewokpelts
01-21-2005, 12:33 PM
As a long-time 27 game season ticket holder, I am somewhat unhappy to see how the Sox have gone to a tiered pricing policy. As I continue to watch the cost of my tickets soar every season, I keep wondering if there are ways I can defray some of the cost. The thought occurred to me that if I pick up the option to purchase tickets for all three games of the Cubs/Sox series (Which I already have) and try to sell them, I could re-coup a major part of the expense. I am going to post the tickets at an inflated cost on Stub Hub.com and hope that some Cub's fans will buy them. If that happens, I will be able to enjoy most of the season knowing some dumb Cub fan is paying the major part of my season tickets cost. Has anyone else done this successfully? Is Stub Hub a good spot to sell them? Just throwing this out as an idea.
I sold a pair of flubs/sox on ebay for 200 last year...
Gene

Brian26
01-21-2005, 12:35 PM

Not a bad idea, but talk about selling out your team. If everyone did this, the Sox would be playing 6 road games against the Cubs this year instead of 3.

Iwritecode
01-21-2005, 12:45 PM

Or you could help out a fellow Sox fan by selling them to him/her at face value.

Many of us (like me) cannot afford a season ticket package or live too far away to make it a feasible option...

IMHO.

Rocky Soprano
01-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Or you could help out a fellow Sox fan by selling them to him/her at face value.

Many of us (like me) cannot afford a season ticket package or live too far away to make it a feasible option...

IMHO.

Amen!

But I do have to say that Gene has always helped me get some Sox-Cubs tickets and has always given them at face.

Im hoping he gets some again this year. :D:

DannyCaterFan
01-21-2005, 01:18 PM
I thought about the possibility of the park being filled with only Cub fans. It seems almost half the fans at the games last year were Cub fans anyway. How do they get the tickets.....from Sox fans that's who. I may indeed sell a couple of them to a fellow Sox fan, but the idea of a Cub fan paying for the majority of my season tix thrills me.

Palehose13
01-21-2005, 01:20 PM
I thought about the possibility of the park being filled with only Cub fans. It seems almost half the fans at the games last year were Cub fans anyway. How do they get the tickets.....from Sox fans that's who. I may indeed sell a couple of them to a fellow Sox fan, but the idea of a Cub fan paying for the majority of my season tix thrills me.

IIRC in the past they sold the cub games with individual ticket sales and they aren't his year. That should reduce the number of cub fans, unless of course a bunch of people sell their tickets to cub fans.

DannyCaterFan
01-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Good point ! I may have to sell some of them to Sox Fans or just go myself.

Palehose13
01-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Good point ! I may have to sell some of them to Sox Fans or just go myself.

Glad to see you are seeing the light. There is one thing that really burns me and it's when cub fans say "The only way you guys (Sox fans) can sell out your park is when we coem to watch the cubs!" I hate that and woud love to see cub fans at Comiskey kept to a small number this year.

However, I do understand wanting the money. This is my first year buying season tix (13 game, lower box) and had a bit of "sticker shock" when I got my bill. I had to pick a lot of the premium weekend games cause I am out of town, which jacked up my prices. But seeing mostly Sox fans at our park for the Sox-cub series would be sweet!

cbrownson13
01-21-2005, 02:38 PM

Although, there is no guarantee that a Cubs fan will buy them on StubHub. A Sox fan may end up buying them.

Palehose13
01-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Although, there is no guarantee that a Cubs fan will buy them on StubHub. A Sox fan may end up buying them.

That's true. I'm willing to bet that someone here would be willing to buy them at face value. That way you can ensure a fellow Sox fan will be in the seats.

Iwritecode
01-21-2005, 02:50 PM
That's true. I'm willing to bet that someone here would be willing to buy them at face value. That way you can ensure a fellow Sox fan will be in the seats.

*raises hand*

I'll buy them!

mcfish
01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
That's true. I'm willing to bet that someone here would be willing to buy them at face value. That way you can ensure a fellow Sox fan will be in the seats.Based on the first email, he'd probably rather go himself than sell them at face. The point was to defray the cost of the rest of the tickets for the year, not to unload Sox/Cubs tickets.

striker60657
01-21-2005, 02:58 PM
I'll buy them. What do you want for them?

Iwritecode
01-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Based on the first email, he'd probably rather go himself than sell them at face. The point was to defray the cost of the rest of the tickets for the year, not to unload Sox/Cubs tickets.

Buying Cubs/Sox tickets soley to make money off Cubs fans??? :?:

Stupid IMO...

StillMissOzzie
01-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Based on the first email, he'd probably rather go himself than sell them at face. The point was to defray the cost of the rest of the tickets for the year, not to unload Sox/Cubs tickets.

I understand your rationale, but it's kind of a macroeconomic/microeconomic thing. It's OK if you end up selling your Sox/Cubs tix to a sCrUB fan, presumably at a price > face, in order to cover the tab on the rest of your package, but if everyone does that, thinking that they're "the only ones doing it, what can it hurt?", then the house is infested with sCrUB fans.

And if anyone has 4, anywhere in the stadium, for a reasonable price for Saturday or Sunday's Sox / Cub game at USCF, keep SMO in mind! I'll buy your beer!

SMO
:gulp:

ZachAL
01-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Not a bad idea, but talk about selling out your team. If everyone did this, the Sox would be playing 6 road games against the Cubs this year instead of 3.

If selling 3 games to make the money means he is able to afford to keep the season tix then it is not selling out his team, because he will be able to attend and pay for 24 games, which is better I'm assuming than the amount he'd go to if he didnt sell the sox-cubs tix and therefore had to discontinue his season tix.

Iwritecode
01-21-2005, 04:13 PM
If selling 3 games to make the money means he is able to afford to keep the season tix then it is not selling out his team, because he will be able to attend and pay for 24 games, which is better I'm assuming than the amount he'd go to if he didnt sell the sox-cubs tix and therefore had to discontinue his season tix.

He's obviously able to pay for the season tickets by himself. He wouldn't have bought the package otherwise. Selling them and making money on Cubs fans was an afterthought.

Someone like me on the other hand cannot afford season tickets. Sure I could buy a 9 or 13 game package and then sell all but one or two of the games to pay for the package but what would be the point?

Places like stub-hub only make scalping legal and it's not even 100% guaranteed that it will be a Cubs fan that buys the tickets.

Meanwhile there's people like me that have Cubs/Sox series as the one game I can go to anually. The only problem is that I can't get tickets...

LauraJ14
01-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I will have some tickets available from my group, not sure how many yet but the seats are in Section 514. Some of my group are not happy with the ticket price increase and are still deciding if they want the tickets or not.

I would rather my extra's go to Sox fans anyways!

BRDSR
01-21-2005, 05:13 PM

If Cubs fans wanted to help us sell out our park for all 81 home games and root against it I'd have no problem with it. As long as they're paying our front office to sit around talking anything but baseball while they get drunk, they can "root" for whoever they want.

mcfish
01-21-2005, 05:30 PM
I understand your rationale, but it's kind of a macroeconomic/microeconomic thing. It's OK if you end up selling your Sox/Cubs tix to a sCrUB fan, presumably at a price > face, in order to cover the tab on the rest of your package, but if everyone does that, thinking that they're "the only ones doing it, what can it hurt?", then the house is infested with sCrUB fans.

And if anyone has 4, anywhere in the stadium, for a reasonable price for Saturday or Sunday's Sox / Cub game at USCF, keep SMO in mind! I'll buy your beer!

SMO
:gulp:Remember, it's not my Sox/Cubs tickets we're talking about here. I'm probably going to be one of the ones paying over face to get into the game. I have the last 3 years at least. I was just explaining why the thread starter would probably not be selling them to a Sox fan at face instead of to someone else over face value, as was suggested by a few.

HoustonAstros967
01-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Stub Hub is a great place for transactions. It is very smooth transanctions and a great place to get tickets.

ZachAL
01-21-2005, 07:55 PM
He's obviously able to pay for the season tickets by himself. He wouldn't have bought the package otherwise. Selling them and making money on Cubs fans was an afterthought.

Someone like me on the other hand cannot afford season tickets. Sure I could buy a 9 or 13 game package and then sell all but one or two of the games to pay for the package but what would be the point?

Places like stub-hub only make scalping legal and it's not even 100% guaranteed that it will be a Cubs fan that buys the tickets.

Meanwhile there's people like me that have Cubs/Sox series as the one game I can go to anually. The only problem is that I can't get tickets...

maybe so, but if he's "obviously able to pay" then you should also agree that he would rather go to the game himself than sell them for just face value, so i dont know where you're coming from on the rest of the post trying to prove he should sell them for face value. But i'm all for sox fans helping out sox fans when applicable, I just think some people in this thread figured for whatever reason he was looking to dump them just to get rid of them, but it seems as thats not the case and he'd rather go than sell them for face or less.

DannyCaterFan
01-21-2005, 09:12 PM
I was the original thread writer on this post. I hate the idea of Cub fans filling up the park, and yes I can afford the 27 game package, but as prices escalate it is becoming harder to justify. As a season ticket holder I was offered the chance to buy 2 tickets for all 3 Sox/Cubs games. I also have 2 tickets as part of my package. So the idea occurred to me to try and dump the 6 extra tix I have off on Cubs Fans. It kind of makes me smile to think that I could recoup $600-800. from a Cub fan and put that money towrds the rest of my package.
Some of you fellow Sox fans reminded me though that there are many of you out there without tickets. Therefore, I will post them on Stub Hub for a couple of months. If they don't sell there, I will offer them up by June 1st to fellow Sox fans right here at face value.

wdelaney72
01-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Stub Hub:
GOOD: You only pay them if you sell your tickets.
BAD: They take 15% commission off the sale. You do the Math.

MLB, NFL, NBA, and the others must be getting some kind of a cut from this in order for it to be allowed... because it essentially is legalized scalping.

Not that I think people shouldn't be able to get as much for their tickets as they can... it's just that 15% seems like an awful big chunk of the sale.

HITMEN OF 77
01-21-2005, 09:41 PM
IIRC in the past they sold the cub games with individual ticket sales and they aren't his year. That should reduce the number of cub fans, unless of course a bunch of people sell their tickets to cub fans.

That's the exact reason they didn't sell them individually this year. They want Comiskey packed with Sox fans.

Palehose13
01-22-2005, 12:56 PM
That's the exact reason they didn't sell them individually this year. They want Comiskey packed with Sox fans.

Yeah. My dad suggested to me today to sell the tix I have for the Friday Sox/Cub game and make some money. Sure it makes sense, but going to the game means more to me than a couple hundred bucks...and I am not one that took the $1100 bill for the ticket package lightly.

Foulke You
01-22-2005, 01:16 PM

While I believe this to be partially true, I think the main reason they make them exclusive to the ticket packages is to fill the park to the other games when you buy your package. They are using the "hot ticket" that is Sox/Cubs to sell several games against the Detroits, Clevelands, and Tampa Bays.

Jurr
01-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Hell...I have a bit of money. I'll help you out. I'll buy them with some inflation and make us both happy.

HITMEN OF 77
01-22-2005, 01:23 PM
While I believe this to be partially true, I think the main reason they make them exclusive to the ticket packages is to fill the park to the other games when you buy your package. They are using the "hot ticket" that is Sox/Cubs to sell several games against the Detroits, Clevelands, and Tampa Bays.

It's a win win situation for the Sox organization.

HITMEN OF 77
01-22-2005, 01:25 PM
I was the original thread writer on this post. I hate the idea of Cub fans filling up the park, and yes I can afford the 27 game package, but as prices escalate it is becoming harder to justify. As a season ticket holder I was offered the chance to buy 2 tickets for all 3 Sox/Cubs games. I also have 2 tickets as part of my package. So the idea occurred to me to try and dump the 6 extra tix I have off on Cubs Fans. It kind of makes me smile to think that I could recoup $600-800. from a Cub fan and put that money towrds the rest of my package.
Some of you fellow Sox fans reminded me though that there are many of you out there without tickets. Therefore, I will post them on Stub Hub for a couple of months. If they don't sell there, I will offer them up by June 1st to fellow Sox fans right here at face value.

I see nothing wrong with your idea of making 3x+ face value. Isn't there a Illinois State law on how high or cap I should say, tickets can be resold?

StillMissOzzie
01-22-2005, 01:42 PM
I see nothing wrong with your idea of making 3x+ face value. Isn't there a Illinois State law on how high or cap I should say, tickets can be resold?

There is such a law, but it's pretty difficult to enforce. You practically have to be caught red-handed on the street corner asking for $$$ > face value. There are also liscensed ticket brokers that can scalp tix legally. Speaking from the experience of selling extra concert tix on eBay, they ask you the face amount, but you could enter any amount you want - eg, whatever the market will bear. eBay is not exactly a neutral observer here, since part of their fees are based on the sale price.

There's also a loophole: you could sell sporting event tickets as a package deal along with something like a baseball card or T-shirt, with the stipulation that any proceeds > face value are applied to said baseball card or T-shirt.

I've never bought or sold on StubHub, so I can't help you there, but I do know that the Chicago Bears are "partners" with them. Don't know if this ends up being a tacit endorsement for Bears tix scalping or if they are able to enforce the "no excess of face value" law.

SMO

HITMEN OF 77
01-22-2005, 01:57 PM
There is such a law, but it's pretty difficult to enforce. You practically have to be caught red-handed on the street corner asking for $$$ > face value. There are also liscensed ticket brokers that can scalp tix legally. Speaking from the experience of selling extra concert tix on eBay, they ask you the face amount, but you could enter any amount you want - eg, whatever the market will bear. eBay is not exactly a neutral observer here, since part of their fees are based on the sale price.

There's also a loophole: you could sell sporting event tickets as a package deal along with something like a baseball card or T-shirt, with the stipulation that any proceeds > face value are applied to said baseball card or T-shirt.

I've never bought or sold on StubHub, so I can't help you there, but I do know that the Chicago Bears are "partners" with them. Don't know if this ends up being a tacit endorsement for Bears tix scalping or if they are able to enforce the "no excess of face value" law.

SMO

I've seen some Sox tickets on ebay and on the bottom of the listing they all say the listing will end if the price hits a certain $$$ due to Illinois law.

I want Mags back
01-22-2005, 02:45 PM

A friend of mine has the all weekends plan. He sells on eBay and gets about $1,000 each game for 3 tiks

Palehose13
01-22-2005, 02:48 PM
A friend of mine has the all weekends plan. He sells on eBay and gets about $1,000 each game for 3 tiks

:?: $300/seat for a game? Where in the hell are his tickets?

Infallible
01-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I just wanted to post to inform other sox fans here who have tix for the Sox sCrubbies show down that I would be interested in two if possible. I'm out of state and would be traveling in. Unfortunately it would not be feasible to procure season tickets due to my location.