PDA

View Full Version : Lip/Labrum...

mike squires
01-20-2005, 10:23 PM
What are the chances of a Hawk interview in the future? Would he have been accessible at Soxfest? Would he be accomodating at the park? Do you have any future interviews lined up? Inquiring minds want to know...:D:

TornLabrum
01-20-2005, 10:32 PM
What are the chances of a Hawk interview in the future? Would he have been accessible at Soxfest? Would he be accomodating at the park? Do you have any future interviews lined up? Inquiring minds want to know...:D:

I'm not into interviews myself. I've done exactly three in my life: Nancy Faust (for the old ChiSox Club's newsletter), Gene Honda (for the Vol. 1, No. 1 of the WCSF newsletter), and Maggie Horn last month. When I'm around players, I'm still awestruck, or at least tonguetied, not because of hero worship but because I wish I had a millionth of the skill they have...that plus the fact that I'm in dire need of Powdermilk Biscuits.

I defer to Lip for the interviews with Sox personnel.

hose
01-20-2005, 11:40 PM
I'd pay to see Lip interview Reinsy.....whoa Nellie :cuss:

Hangar18
01-21-2005, 09:06 AM
I'd pay to see Lip interview Reinsy.....whoa Nellie :cuss:

No Kidding. If Uncle Jerry answered straightforward ALL of Lips
Questions, that interview would win awards as well as make people
respect Uncle Jerry a lot more.

anewman35
01-21-2005, 09:58 AM
No Kidding. If Uncle Jerry answered straightforward ALL of Lips
Questions, that interview would win awards as well as make people
respect Uncle Jerry a lot more.

Problem is, there's no way certian people would believe that anything JR said was straightforward unless he said something like "I'm cheap. I hate the fans. I'm a bastard."

Hangar18
01-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Problem is, there's no way certian people would believe that anything JR said was straightforward unless he said something like "I'm cheap. I hate the fans. I'm a bastard."

YES, but if he did come right out and say that, and be truthful, how could
we come down on the guy anymore? HE could say its more important to make money than to Win a world series (as evidenced by his actions), and
guess what? We'd have to believe him, because its true. And that would be
that. He could tell us to Clam Up when we complain hes cutting payroll, not
going after Free Agents, Creating Holes in the lineup, and we couldnt complain

Mickster
01-21-2005, 10:35 AM
we come down on the guy anymore? HE could say its more important to make money than to Win a world series (as evidenced by his actions), and

Or he could say that they make little profit, spend all they can based on their budget on salary and you could call that a lie......

The wheels on the bus go round and round..... :cool:

Uncle_Patrick
01-21-2005, 11:47 AM

I think if he admitted any of the things you mentioned, his critics would say "Jerry must sell! He admitted all this stuff! He doesn't care about winning!" and continue to bash him. Every time there was a payroll thread or a free agent thread, people would say "Jerry admitted..." And if he said anything different, people would say "He lies! He doesn't care about winning! Jerry must sell!" I don't see how any interview would quiet the JR critics.

gosox41
01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Or he could say that they make little profit, spend all they can based on their budget on salary and you could call that a lie......

The wheels on the bus go round and round..... :cool:

I like it better when we can all assume that JR is evil and raking in the money. Most would believe it because that's what they want to hear, but it doesn't make it true.:D:

Bob

Lip Man 1
01-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Their doesn't seem to be any way that Jerry Reinsdorf would consent to an interview for White Sox Interactive. (Believe me...I've tried) After all he rarely gives interviews to any of the mainstream media in Chicago...the odds are astronomical that he would give of his time to WSI.

That being said, PHG has already received a story that I hope you'll find interesting. I think he is saving it for around opening day. It took me over a year's worth of research, interviews, preparing audio cuts and the like.

It runs 76 pages long so PHG is going to be releasing it on the site in sections.

It won't change anybody's mind about the Sox owner... however my purpose was to put into one document a thorough look at the events that have happened under his leadership... both good and bad.

My purpose was historical. To give all Sox fans especially those teens and folks in their 20's who frequent the site, an idea of what has gone on from the people who know the chairman, have worked with or for the chairman or who have reported on the chairman.

My reseach led me to some astonishing discoveries particularly from the early days (81-83) of his stewardship.

And some of the audio comments from people like Reinsdorf, Carlton Fisk, Eddie Einhorn talking about revenue sharing,and former Sun - Times Reporter Mark Hourning are priceless.

Something to look for on this site in the future!

As far as the hear and now, I have an interview lined up for next week with a former player. A pitcher who was with the franchise for a number of years who experienced pennant races, great teammates, some unique managers and some historic individual accomplishments.

I am also in the process of trying to line up two future interviews with a former Sox player and a former member of the front office. I can't give you a specific time for those because they are still in the process of attempting to be confirmed.

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Bob:

But the circumstancial evidence as well as allowing for human nature (i.e. smart business people do not lose money for 25 years) appears to lead to the conclusion (like it or not) that he is.

"The Sox have 2 million fans, an unbelievable stadium deal, a great radio deal, ownership in a TV station, a city full of corporate sponsorship possibilities, an immensely successful and savvy owner in Reinsdorf." - Greg Couch, Chicago Sun-Times, December 23, 2004.

Lip

WhiteSoxFan84
01-21-2005, 12:18 PM
The doesn't seem to be any way that Jerry Reinsdorf would consent to an interview for White Sox Interactive. (Believe me...I've tried) After all he rarely gives interviews to any of the mainstream media in Chicago...the odds are astronomical that he would give of his time to WSI.

That being said, PHG has already received a story that I hope you'll find interesting. I think he is saving it for around opening day. It took me over a year's worth of research, interviews, preparing audio cuts and the like.

It runs 76 pages long so PHG is going to be releasing it on the site in sections.

It won't change anybody's mind about the Sox owner... however my purpose was to put into one document a thorough look at the events that have happened under his leadership... both good and bad.

My purpose was historical. To give all Sox fans especially those teens and folks in their 20's who frequent the site, an idea of what has gone on from the people who know the chairman, have worked with or for the chairman or who have reported on the chairman.

My reseach led me to some astonishing discoveries particularly from the early days (81-83) of his stewardship.

Something to look for on this site in the future!

As far as the hear and now, I have an interview lined up for next week with a former player. A pitcher who was with the franchise for a number of years who experienced pennant races, great teammates, some unique managers and some historic individual accomplishments.

I am also in the process of trying to line up two future interviews with a former Sox player and a former member of the front office. I can't give you a specific time for those because they are still in the process of attempting to be confirmed.

Lip

76 pages???? come on lip! i guess if you break it down into sections you'll confuse my brain and make i seem like I'm only reading a 10 page story once a week or so. I can't wait for it.

I don't know if this was you or not, but a few weeks ago I was driving behind this bright blue mini-van that had this license plate; Lip Man 2. Any relation? :D:

Lip Man 1
01-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Not that I know of.

Lip

TRL
01-21-2005, 12:20 PM
As a fan in my 20s, I look forward to the Reinsdorf piece.

Mickster
01-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Bob:

But the circumstancial evidence as well as allowing for human nature (i.e. smart business people do not lose money for 25 years) appears to lead to the conclusion (like it or not) that he is.

"The Sox have 2 million fans, an unbelievable stadium deal, a great radio deal, ownership in a TV station, a city full of corporate sponsorship possibilities, an immensely successful and savvy owner in Reinsdorf." - Greg Couch, Chicago Sun-Times, December 23, 2004.

Lip

Wow! I'm convinced, Reinsdorf is a jag. A businessman that is actually making money..... Sheesh. :kukoo:

pudge
01-21-2005, 12:48 PM
As a fan in my 20s, I look forward to the Reinsdorf piece.

Just read it with a grain of salt. Lip seems to be pretty fair in his articles, but there's no doubting his personal opinions.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Mickster:

That's not my point. I have no problem with him making money. The question is how much.

Bob contends very strongly he isn't making any or very little. Big difference.. as expressed nicely by Couch's statement, who gave, in my opinion, compelling reasons why he is probably making a great deal.

And that's not even counting the fact that he was given a new stadium without having to invest one penny of his own fortune, then was given millions to revamp said stadium again without him having to contribute one dime.

Sorry I don't believe his crocodile tears especially when the team he has been putting on the field has had serious flaws due to the self imposed budget restraints.

Unlike you I guess I'm not a member of the Friends Of Uncle Jerry fan club. :rolleyes:

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Pudge:

Your comment is EXACTLY why I tried as hard as possible to include every positive comment about the man that I could find or get. I bent over backwards to try to be as fair as I could.

That is also why there will be started on the message boards a specific thread inviting any to contribute any substanciated comments, newspaper stories, magazine articles about him when the first part of the story is released on WSI.

I don't have access to every thing ever composed or published about the man. If you or anyone else feels that I have done him unfairly, you'll have your chance to contribute.

Lip

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-21-2005, 01:01 PM
JR, great businessman.

TERRIBLE OWNER

longshot7
01-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Lip-

That article sounds awesome. I can't wait to read it!

pudge
01-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Pudge:

Your comment is EXACTLY why I tried as hard as possible to include every positive comment about the man that I could find or get. I bent over backwards to try to be as fair as I could.

That is also why there will be started on the message boards a specific thread inviting any to contribute any substanciated comments, newspaper stories, magazine articles about him when the first part of the story is released on WSI.

I don't have access to every thing ever composed or published about the man. If you or anyone else feels that I have done him unfairly, you'll have your chance to contribute.

Lip

Sounds good to me, looking forward to it.

FarWestChicago
01-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Just read it with a grain of salt. Lip seems to be pretty fair in his articles, but there's no doubting his personal opinions.I have a couple comments about Lip. I think he knows more about Sox history than anybody I know. Torn and George know a lot, but I think Lip may be top. He does fabulous interviews. Extremely high quality. He's just a flat out good writer. You can trust him when in "professional" mode.

On the boards it's another story. When not in "professional" mode, look out! http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif

fquaye149
01-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Mickster:

Unlike you I guess I'm not a member of the Friends Of Uncle Jerry fan club. :rolleyes:

Lip\

oop - there goes the tailgunner, at it again.

In this briefcase, I hold the names of 1,000 known reinsdorf supporters

Paulwny
01-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I have a couple comments about Lip. I think he knows more about Sox history than anybody I know. Torn and George know a lot, but I think Lip may be top. He does fabulous interviews. Extremely high quality. He's just a flat out good writer. You can trust him when in "professional" mode.

On the boards it's another story. When not in "professional" mode, look out! http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif

Agree, although Lip's dislike of JR may be slightly stronger then mine, most times I agree with him, over the last ~ 4yrs Lip has been a significant contributer to this site. His interviews with ex-sox players, etc have always been a pleasure to read. :smile:

Lip Man 1
01-22-2005, 12:53 PM
I appreciate the kind words from West (who knows more about computers then anybody I ever met) and Paulwny.

You folks are why I do the interviews. You are good Sox fans and can appreciate and understand the historical nature of this franchise and those who played the game.

Like I said I speak with the next interview subject on Thursday morning.

Lip

HITMEN OF 77
01-22-2005, 01:18 PM
I appreciate the kind words from West (who knows more about computers then anybody I ever met) and Paulwny.

You folks are why I do the interviews. You are good Sox fans and can appreciate and understand the historical nature of this franchise and those who played the game.

Like I said I speak with the next interview subject on Thursday morning.

Lip

I overly appreciate the effort and the interviews Lip. You do an excellent job. I really enjoy the older players. Who's next, Gail Hopkins? "No Neck"? I can only hope.

TornLabrum
01-22-2005, 01:27 PM
I overly appreciate the effort and the interviews Lip. You do an excellent job. I really enjoy the older players. Who's next, Gail Hopkins? "No Neck"? I can only hope.

Please let it be Gail!

Lip Man 1
01-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Gang:

It is an older player but it's not 'No Neck' or Gail.

Whom I can interview is limited by who I can actually track down either by getting phone numbers and such from guys I have interviewed or by investigating on the Internet.

It's not easy to do and as PHG can tell you the Sox don't want any part of helping us do interviews. They won't supply any names, phone numbers and so forth of any former players. I think PHG told me that they let him know this in no uncertain terms.

I do what I can but sometimes it's a situation where I can only interview whomever I can find for a particular month.

The other factor is that I try to choose subjects that actually spent a decent amount of time in Chicago or accomplished something with the Sox. The only exception I can think of was my Cory Snyder interview. Vance Law gave me his info and I just didn't have any leads on anyone else at the time. Snyder at least gave great insight into the type of person Walt Hriniak was so that was worth something.

Gail Hopkins? You're joking right? LOL Why not Chuck Brinkman, Rich Morales, Buddy Bradford, Jack Lamabe or Jerry Adair? (For that matter why not John 'Pineapple' Mathias???)

Lip

TornLabrum
01-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Gail Hopkins? You're joking right? LOL Why not Chuck Brinkman, Rich Morales, Buddy Bradford, Jack Lamabe or Jerry Adair? (For that matter why not John 'Pineapple' Mathias???)

Lip

As president of the Gail Hopkins fan club (because until recently I was the only member) I can attest to the fact that Hoppy (as we affectionately call him, whether he likes it or not) had a far better Sox career than all of those guys...or at least longer.

BTW, I'm also the president of the Greg Pryor and Jim Willoughby fan clubs. That should give you an idea of the type of players I take a liking to.

mike squires
01-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Just curious Lip, why do you keep your interews a secret? No big deal, just wondering.

ALso, yuo never answered my original quesion. DO you think Hawk would ever to consent to an interview?

HITMEN OF 77
01-22-2005, 09:18 PM

Lip

I like reading and hearing about GH. Hopkins was a good hitter and good defensive player. Brinkman? The guy never played, bench warmer. Bradford would be good. What about Bobby Knoop?

PaleHoseGeorge
01-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Just curious Lip, why do you keep your interews a secret? No big deal, just wondering.

I'm not Lip, but mind if I answer? The interviews aren't revealed ahead of time for the same reason you wrap your Christmas presents and open them next to the tree on Christmas morning.

Oh, and teasing you a bit makes it more fun, too.
:cool:

Lip Man 1
01-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Gang:

PHG is correct :smile:

Mike:

I don't think Hawk would consent to an interview for the same reason Uncle Jerry wouldn't. They are 'above' dealing with websites.

Hal:

Actually those names should have been in teal. My apologies.

Lip

TornLabrum
01-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Gang:

PHG is correct :smile:

Mike:

I don't think Hawk would consent to an interview for the same reason Uncle Jerry wouldn't. They are 'above' dealing with websites.

Hal:

Actually those names should have been in teal. My apologies.

Lip

No need to apologize. I have as much fun with Gail Hopkins' stellar career as anyone else. I've actually had one person join the GH Fan Club in the past month. So far no one has joined the Pryor and Willoughby clubs, though.

HITMEN OF 77
01-24-2005, 12:23 AM
I've actually had one person join the GH Fan Club in the past month.

And I'm a proud member :D:

mike squires
01-24-2005, 04:09 AM
No need to apologize. I have as much fun with Gail Hopkins' stellar career as anyone else. I've actually had one person join the GH Fan Club in the past month. So far no one has joined the Pryor and Willoughby clubs, though.

For the record...noone is above Whiteeesx interactive!:D:

Kilroy
01-24-2005, 07:11 AM

Does that mean you've asked and been refused? Or does it mean that you don't think he will do it so you won't bother? If it's "B", the worst he could do is say "NO", right?

Lip Man 1
01-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Kilroy:

That's not the issue. The issue is that I'd have to go to Scott Reifert and the Sox themselves to make the request since Hawk is paid by the White Sox.

As stated in another threat PHG already knows what the Sox response was to him when he asked for help regarding future Sox interview subjects for WSI.

Lip