PDA

View Full Version : 8/28/83 Game Pics - Sox 6, Boston 2

nebraskasox
01-20-2005, 07:12 PM
In the "Favorite Sox game" thread on this board, I posted a scanned image of a photo I took of Greg Luzinski hitting a roof shot at the old ball park in the 8/28/83 game won by the Sox with 33,479 attending (according to my notes). Since several people mentioned this was their favorite Sox game, it was requested that I post any other photos I had.

There's 3 more posted here: Ron Kittle, the AL rookie of the year in 83, lining a single, Jerry Koosman on the mound getting the signs from the catcher (I think Fisk was catching, I didn't score the game), and the Sox congratulating each other after the game.

As I look back at the photos, the Luzinski one is the only one that's a bit out of focus. As I recall that moment, I think that I clicked the shutter a split second after contact was made with the ball. Since the fans roared on contact, I may have moved the camera slightly or wasn't quite focused yet when the fans erupted. In any case, I hope you enjoy the pics.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Those are some nice photos. I enjoy see photos from the old park since I can't remember too much about it. I was there a few times before it was torn down, but I was a little kid. The only thing I can ever remember from when I was 2 years old or so were those yellow guard rails. :D:

Fenway
01-20-2005, 07:19 PM
http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08280CHA1983.htm

When Oil Can gave up a dinger they were hit :?:

I saw Bo Jackson hit one off Boyd at the old Baseball City that EASILY went 600 feet.

I was there for that series but for me it was the Friday night game that stands out.

Jim Rice hit 2 rocket line drives into the lower LF seats that would have been singles at Fenway. I understood for the first time how Fenway Park actually hurt Rice.

http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08260CHA1983.htm

voodoochile
01-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Please post pictures in the WSI Photo Gallery (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/). That way they stay available for people even after the thread dies away...

nccwsfan
01-20-2005, 09:58 PM
In the "Favorite Sox game" thread on this board, I posted a scanned image of a photo I took of Greg Luzinski hitting a roof shot at the old ball park in the 8/28/83 game won by the Sox with 33,479 attending (according to my notes). Since several people mentioned this was their favorite Sox game, it was requested that I post any other photos I had.

There's 3 more posted here: Ron Kittle, the AL rookie of the year in 83, lining a single, Jerry Koosman on the mound getting the signs from the catcher (I think Fisk was catching, I didn't score the game), and the Sox congratulating each other after the game.

As I look back at the photos, the Luzinski one is the only one that's a bit out of focus. As I recall that moment, I think that I clicked the shutter a split second after contact was made with the ball. Since the fans roared on contact, I may have moved the camera slightly or wasn't quite focused yet when the fans erupted. In any case, I hope you enjoy the pics.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Thank you so much for the pictures! That was a game that has lived in my head for 21 years, and it's cool to see those images again.....

Brian26
01-20-2005, 11:16 PM
MY GOD-

Look at the photo with the team giving high fives after the last out....

RIBBIE AND ROOBARB are in the line!

You've got to be kidding me. They actually let two guys in mascot outfits high-five Harold Baines after a victory in the middle of the field?

Is it just me or does this not only seem cheesy, but even somewhat sacrilegious? I guess we've come a long way in 21+ years.

mike squires
01-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks again for those pics! It's very special being that was the first Sox game I attended. I can't thank you enough. Marc Hill was doing the catching duties on that Sunday afternoon. Fisk usually had Sunday day games off. Later I thought it was very odd remembering seeing him arrive at the park just before the gates opened but I got to thinking that it made sense considering he wasn't playing. (probably didnt take batting practice.) Brian, there is some other footage I have where Cruz is giving Rhubarb a high five after scoring a gam winning runby the on deck cirle. Maybe it's because I was young but I loved the mascots they had and actually woudn't mind seeing them back. That being said, I don't want to turn this into a mascot thread. What a game that was.

popilius
01-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks for sharing the pictures!

:gulp:

Gosox1917
01-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Amazing how good a view it was from the upper deck. Cool pics, thanks alot!:D:

mike squires
01-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Amazing how good a view it was from the upper deck. Cool pics, thanks alot!:D:

Remember, this is Old Comiskey we are talking about not the new one.:) I remember taking a walk up to the upper deck when I was little and watched frombehind home plate for a minute. (Scott Fletecher was hitting) and was amazed how on top of the action you were. I also attended a night game and had front row seats above the blue ticker. I tried spitting on Buck Martinez who was warming up in the bullpen. oh, the things we do when we are young...

zach074
01-21-2005, 11:52 PM
These pictures make me sad, because I was never able to see a game at the old park.:whiner:

Fenway
01-26-2005, 05:35 PM
got an email from someone who read this and passed this along from a 1994 Boston Globe

"It was a spring training game in a place called Baseball City, just 20 miles from lovely Winter Haven. Bo Jackson came to bat against Oil Can Boyd. It was one of those 'let's see what you got' moments. The Can threw his best heat and Jackson turned on the ball, hitting it on the sweet spot. The ball carried way over the scoreboard in center field and came down near some grazing cows. It was the longest home run I have ever seen, a pure athletic moment."

-- DAN SHAUGHNESSY

http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08280CHA1983.htm

When Oil Can gave up a dinger they were hit :?:

I saw Bo Jackson hit one off Boyd at the old Baseball City that EASILY went 600 feet.

I was there for that series but for me it was the Friday night game that stands out.

Jim Rice hit 2 rocket line drives into the lower LF seats that would have been singles at Fenway. I understood for the first time how Fenway Park actually hurt Rice.

http://retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B08260CHA1983.htm